You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
5thCavScout

Age of Steam/Pre-Dreadnought Game

15 comments in this topic

[REVY]
Members
9,651 posts
7,316 battles
2 hours ago, _Swearengen_ said:

Hey! Wargaming! This is definitely an era I could get into. Say, 1850's to Pre-WWI. I'd pay to play that one for sure...

Lol, a game where Russia doesn't have to pretend they had a Navy.

Edited by Sventex
  • Funny 4
  • Haha 1

Members
3,354 posts
23,000 battles
6 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

There are a lot of us who are only waiting for a competitor to make just such a game.

Join the club!

Maybe a game that includes real WW2 ships too and perhaps a level playing field. I'd actually pay for it. 

[-TRM-]
Members
5,566 posts

ERM you will run into difficulties with such a ship.

If your steam warship was a paddle wheeler and a opponet's fire destroyed one wheel you are stuck in a circle if your engine did not tear itself apart first.

If you advanced beyond 1860 you will run into the first of the ironclads and the truly armored warships of that era. It would be a painful fight. Offering you the USS Alabama vs the USS Kearsage off Cheoburg in the Civil War. All they did was make 7 circles until the USS Alabama was destroyed.

You can look up the USS Oregon and her 14000 mile trip to battle when the USA declared war. A coal ship too.

• Cool 1

[REVY]
Members
9,651 posts
7,316 battles
1 minute ago, xHeavy said:

If your steam warship was a paddle wheeler and a opponet's fire destroyed one wheel you are stuck in a circle if your engine did not tear itself apart first.

If you advanced beyond 1860 you will run into the first of the ironclads and the truly armored warships of that era. It would be a painful fight. Offering you the USS Alabama vs the USS Kearsage off Cheoburg in the Civil War. All they did was make 7 circles until the USS Alabama was destroyed.

You can look up the USS Oregon and her 14000 mile trip to battle when the USA declared war. A coal ship too.

Va45oC7.gif

Members
410 posts
26 battles
1 hour ago, Sventex said:

Lol, a game where Russia doesn't have to pretend they had Navy.

HOW DARE?!

Do you not remember the time the Imperial Russian Second Pacific Squadron VALIENTLY engaged Japanese Torpedo boat in the North Sea?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogger_Bank_incident

Edited by SoothingWhaleSongEU
  • Funny 1

[REVY]
Members
9,651 posts
7,316 battles
Just now, SoothingWhaleSongEU said:

HOW DARE?!

Do you not remember the time the Imperial Russian Second Pacific Squadron VALIENTLY engaged Japanese Torpedo banks in the North Sea?

Like I said, it was a time period where Russia doesn't have to pretend that they had a Navy.

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
4,466 battles
4 hours ago, xHeavy said:

...as if WW2 didnt have equity problems or real life ship problems that WG doesnt hand wave away...

[KRCK]
Members
147 posts
10 hours ago, xHeavy said:

The problem with your "paddle wheel" analogy is that WG does not take cumulative damage into account. Warships with 95% damage steaming around at full speed firing all guns? Yeah, that's realistic.

As for your mention of the limitations of ships available I have a question. You do read naval history outside of the American prism, right? There were many types of seagoing warships employed by all nations in the latter half of the 19th Century. Paddle wheelers? Have you looked beyond the American Civil War, at all? Many nations were employing screw driven steam warships. Hell, Italy built a warship, the Caio Duillo, with four, 17 inch main guns in the 1870's.

There were also many naval battles outside of American history at this time. All over the world, all nations were employing steam driven and ironclad warships. I think the game would be very engaging. Check Steam. They have a game that covers that era but I think an MMO game on the subject would be fun.

[KRCK]
Members
147 posts
11 hours ago, Sventex said:

Va45oC7.gif

What movie is that? I would like to see it. There's also a great movie about The Battle of Tsushima Straits ion the Russo-Japanese War.

Members
1,872 posts
11 hours ago, SoothingWhaleSongEU said:

Do you not remember the time the Imperial Russian Second Pacific Squadron VALIENTLY engaged Japanese Torpedo boat in the North Sea?

Kamchatka, definitely the most OP premium in such a game

[REVY]
Members
9,651 posts
7,316 battles
29 minutes ago, _Swearengen_ said:

What movie is that? I would like to see it. There's also a great movie about The Battle of Tsushima Straits ion the Russo-Japanese War.

It's The Sino-Japanese War at Sea 1894, however I've never been able to find english subtitles for it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sino-Japanese_War_at_Sea_1894

[YIKES]
Beta Testers
776 posts
12,733 battles
42 minutes ago, _Swearengen_ said:

I’m not sure about the name of the movie, but from that one clip it looks like the film depicts either the Battle of the Yalu River or the Battle of Weihaiwei. During the First Sino-Japanese War the Chinese had two ironclad battleships bought from Germany, which fought in both battles. After the last battle one was scuttled, and the other captured and pressed into Imperial Japanese naval service. 

There is a replica of one of the battleships in China at the port of Weihai where it’s a floating museum. 

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles
19 hours ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

There are a lot of us who are only waiting for a competitor to make just such a game.

Join the club!

I'd play it, but I don't see it happening. IMO there'd be less playing it than this game, just because of the more obscure subject matter.

• Boring 1