You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Avenge_December_7

In Memoriam of the 79th Anniversary of the Pearl Harbor Attack

9 comments in this topic

[STW-N]
Members
4,178 posts
10,064 battles

79 years ago, on a beautiful Sunday morning, the world was changed forever. 353 Imperial Japanese naval-launched aircraft descended upon the sleepy US naval base at Pearl Harbor in Oahu, Hawaii at 7:48 am local Hawaiian time. The US was caught completely by surprise when the first bombs begin to fall, and the world was forever changed.

By the time the attack was over 90 minutes later and the final death toll was tallied, 2335 US service members were killed and another 1443 wounded. Of all the ships attacked, 3 of them—USS Arizona (BB-39), USS Utah (BB-31), and USS Oklahoma (BB-37) were total losses. USS Arizona in particular accounted for nearly half of all deaths during the entire attack when a bomb hit the forward magazines. Some of the deaths on the sunken battleships occurred in the days afterwards—sailors trapped when the warships sank and/or rolled over could be heard banging on the sides of the ships calling for help. Most of them, unfortunately, could not be saved, even if some of them survived for more than two weeks trapped underneath.

The Japanese, however, missed several critical targets. The carriers—Enterprise, Saratoga, and Lexington) were absent, and several important logistical facilities like the submarine pens, oil tanks, and repair yards were left essentially untouched. These untouched assets ended up being much more important to the American war effort in the Pacific than the sunken battleships ever could have hoped to be.

Because of the fact that the stricken ships were located in a shallow harbor and were within easy reach of the repair yards, all but the three aforementioned total losses eventually returned to active service a few years later—Pennsylvania, Maryland, West Virginia, California, and Tennessee all ended up participating in the last battleship-to-battleship engagement in history, although engagement is probably an overstatement of the resulting carnage. All the ships present at Pearl Harbor that survived to the end of the war (a few like Helena would be sunk during the war) would eventually be either scrapped or used as targets for Operation Crossroads.

Of the three ships that were total losses, USS Oklahoma's location is still unknown to this day. In the middle of being towed to San Francisco Bay for final scrapping, she and accompanying her tugboat ran into a storm, and the tugs were forced to release their lines and let the Nevada-class battleship sink to save themselves. USS Utah currently sits off of Ford Island with her own memorial, which is not open to those without military IDs. USS Arizona remains where she was berthed, with the famous memorial thereof erected above her. Every year there is a ceremony commemorating the attack, and survivors of Pearl Harbor can choose to have their remains interred within her hull when they pass on.

Unfortunately this year, because of the Covid epidemic, no survivors of Pearl Harbor attended the ceremony. Nevertheless, may the sacrifice of those who were there that fateful Sunday morning be remembered for all time.

The full livestream of this year's Pearl Harbor commemoration ceremony

Spoiler

A very good overview of the attack minute-by-minute

Spoiler

Drachinifel's 3-video series about the post-attack salvage operations

Spoiler

And of course, how could I not sortie out Arizona today?

Spoiler

I set for myself the goal of 100k+ damage win with top base xp and at least one heroic achievement. I achieved it after about 6 battles with only 1 loss (although 2 of the wins were rather meager ones. It's a shame I couldn't take more than potshots at the enemy carriers, though.

547179026_ScreenShot2020-12-07at1_47_13PM.thumb.png.8c7233d59919ef0ad6a879129b6896aa.png

466954855_ScreenShot2020-12-07at1_47_23PM.thumb.png.0b7374a70aed62821b0c74c6992373c4.png

1140729182_ScreenShot2020-12-07at1_47_32PM.thumb.png.acb533cbe41280e14cae30a2eaa51a01.png

1566174735_ScreenShot2020-12-07at1_47_38PM.thumb.png.23f06d680bc40ecf08846f3c0d9fe790.png

213001442_ScreenShot2020-12-07at1_47_43PM.thumb.png.51a62961bfde25f9851e482cf85ec833.png

997377399_ScreenShot2020-12-07at1_47_47PM.thumb.png.ac298523354ee9f08c30eb5c190d6bcb.png

20201207_133256_PASB506-Arizona-1941_17_NA_fault_line.wowsreplay

Warning:

Spoiler

Anime below

You have been warned

Spoiler

__uss_arizona_pacific_drawn_by_sima_naot

__tennessee_california_oklahoma_arizona_

• Cool 4
  • Thanks 2

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
12,313 posts
17,497 battles

Will be playing just pearl harbor ships tonight.

Arizona, Oklahoma, California, West Virginia, New Orleans, Phoenix, Helena, Farragut, Monaghan.

Kaga,  Kirshima, Hiei, Isokaze, Kagero, 

What am I missing? (that are in game)

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,776 posts
712 battles
9 minutes ago, paradat said:

Arizona, Oklahoma, California, West Virginia, New Orleans, Phoenix, Helena, Farragut, Monaghan.

Well, the Phoenix that was at Pearl isn't the Phoenix we have ingame. That's a paper ship. The Phoenix that was at Pearl (CL-46) was a Brooklyn-class cruiser. So you could represent her by playing the Boise. 

Also, playing Mahan, you could represent the Shaw (DD-373).

[CO-OP]
Members
2,286 posts
26,712 battles
23 minutes ago, paradat said:

Was going to do the same.  I was doing this last night, also (less Phoenix)

11 minutes ago, ramp4ge said:

Well, the Phoenix that was at Pearl isn't the Phoenix we have ingame. That's a paper ship. The Phoenix that was at Pearl (CL-46) was a Brooklyn-class cruiser. So you could represent her by playing the Boise. 

I also threw in the Wickes to represent the USS Ward.

Members
269 posts
9,670 battles

Leaving the Dr. Office today, I shared an elevator ride with a veteran. His hat said "Vietnam" and "Desert Storm". Thanked him for his service, and he shared with me that he made a special request for his re-enlistment. It was granted , so he had the ceremony at the USS Arizona Memorial. He said it was a "special day".  I believe so!

True story!

Beta Testers
176 posts
13,071 battles

"Yesterday, December 7th, 1941—a date which will live in infamy—the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air forces of the Empire of Japan." -President Franklin D. Roosevelt, December 8, 1941. Never forget!

[V_V_V]
Members
842 posts
16,402 battles
2 hours ago, ramp4ge said:

Isokaze

Play Kagero twice-the Isokaze of the  Pearl Harbor attack force was of that class.  And hoist the Zulu signal for the IJN ships.

Edited by Charon2018
add text
  • Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
12,313 posts
17,497 battles
2 hours ago, ramp4ge said:

Ah OK thanks!

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
12,313 posts
17,497 battles
2 hours ago, Charon2018 said:

Play Kagero twice-the Isokaze of the  Pearl Harbor attack force was of that class.  And hoist the Zulu signal for the IJN ships.

The fate of the Empire is in your hands!