You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Col_Nasty

Old Ships, Modern/future meta questions.

4 comments in this topic

[GOB]
Members
2,478 posts

So I'm holding off of Premiums and specials till things sort themselves out.

Unless it comes from a crate I plan only to grind some Tech Tree Ships for a bit.  

Thinking about continuing up the German BB line. I play the KG Kurfurst a lot on the PT and I like it for the obvious Dakka of those seconds.

I LOVE my MASS and Georgia's seconds so I am up for this.

Right now I am on the Bayern about to get the GNEISENAU.

How do people who have the F DER and GK feel about them now and more importantly , how they MAY be after the changes pending?

As always, Thankx for the input.

Col Standing By

[POP]
Members
4,742 posts
12,813 battles

Currently on FdG here, and my captain and build is full secondary (plus the slot 6 main battery reload mod). It's definitely not meta, and the guns do sometimes have really wonky dispersion, but it's certainly more fun that way. After the skill changes I'll probably respec that commander into more of a hybrid build, but the secondary one is the one I built for Bismarck a while back specifically for farming secondary missions (originally in co-op) and never reset during any of the free CB resets since I hadn't resumed my grind of that line. If the rework wasn't coming I'd spend the ecxp now, but for the last 100k on FdG I can deal with the captain as it is.

Haven't played GK in a long time outside one or two battles last year on PTS, but from what I've seen it's somewhat similar to FdG. Main guns hit hard and are normally at least decently accurate except for the completely cross eyed shots, decently tanky (although maybe not as much as Kremlin in some situations), but the secondaries are still good if you build into them. Depending on what buffs WG is planning on for secondaries post rework those secondary builds may become less effective, but I'd probably still lean toward building them as more secondary or hybrid focused since I have other better options if I want to go for an uber tank build.

Edited by MidnightPhoenix07

[WOLF9]
Members
982 posts
21,580 battles

I play Coop, so keep that in mind. 

For the KM BBs, I go full secondary.  I have Lutjens as the commander.   When you get to the GK and even the Pommern if you have it, the secondaries alone can handle DDs coming at you.  When Lutjen's specialties hit (100 secondary hits), the reload speed on the secondaries are decreased, so it becomes a torrent of firing.  In a match where I can get close to ships (less than 10km), I can easily break 300 hits on it.  Best was 692 secondary hits for 93k damage in a BB heavy match.

I expect a little bit of degradation with the loss of secondary accuracy, but I expect a lot more chances as both sides should be firing at full speed.

[20CM]
Members
279 posts
1 hour ago, Col_Nasty said:

So I'm holding off of Premiums and specials till things sort themselves out.

Unless it comes from a crate I plan only to grind some Tech Tree Ships for a bit.  

Thinking about continuing up the German BB line. I play the KG Kurfurst a lot on the PT and I like it for the obvious Dakka of those seconds.

I LOVE my MASS and Georgia's seconds so I am up for this.

Right now I am on the Bayern about to get the GNEISENAU.

How do people who have the F DER and GK feel about them now and more importantly , how they MAY be after the changes pending?

As always, Thankx for the input.

Col Standing By

GK here, I'll borrow some info from wows wiki.

Pros:

One of the heaviest AP broadsides in Tier 10, equal to American counterpart Montana

Good shell velocity

Good main battery traverse speed

The citadel sits below the waterline and is protected by a turtleback, making citadel penetrations from surface ships almost impossible

Heavy secondary armament with a very good base range

Very heavily armored, with thick deck armor and well protected bow

Second highest hitpoint pool in the game

Has access to the Hydroacoustic Search  consumable

Cons:

The largest ship in the game, very difficult to sail unspotted, evade shots or disengage

Lowest base main battery range of all Tier 10 battleships

Massive turn radius and slow rudder shift time

Rather inadequate main turret armor for a brawling battleship

Poor torpedo protection

Enormous superstructure, can be easily damaged and set on fire

Very poor firing angles

The AA suite is fairly weak at mid- and close range

Commander skills:

Großer Kurfürst is often configured either for secondary power, or in a survival build.

Secondary Battery Build: Captains who value their secondaries as an important source of damage should invest in Basic Firing Training, Adrenaline Rush, Manual Fire Control for Secondary Armament and Advanced Firing Training. This leaves 6 points, one of which must be a tier 1 skill. Since closing to secondaries range will result in you getting fired upon by every enemy ship, survivability should be focused, which leaves two options:

A) Fire Prevention, Priority target and Preventative Maintenance for one less fire amidships and main battery reliability (Preventative Maintenance DOES NOT improve secondaries),

B) Basics or Survivability a choice between High Alert / Jack Of All Trades and another choice between Priority Target and Preventative Maintenance.

Main difference between A and B is first focuses on getting less fires and the other on shortening duration of fires (as well as floods as a bonus). After 0.9.2 IFHE is less needed, as 128mm and 150mm guns can now penetrate 32mm and 38mm armor respectively, which is enough for most ships.

Playstyle:

GK is actually a rather hard ship to play. Sure it has good armor but the Super structer is so huge that it takes full AP pens from any angle from just about  any caliber. So don't be surprised when you take 10k-20k damage when you're angled.

The enormous Super structer also get lit on fire which kinda is annoying (Fire prevention is a must), plus large size of the ship also betrays her as you can hit her easily. 

Large turning radius is also a factor, dodging torpedoes is a challenge. The German Hydro helps a lot, but still hard when Halland torps come speeding.

AA is actually weak, comparable with the Conqueror. The large size will draw attention from multiple CVs. After the release of MVR the GK not only has to dread Haku torp (and bombing) runs, but also the "Dread Baron". I usually take fighters to deter the CV, but if it's a competent CV player, it'll always get the first strike off.

Secondaries are only effective when having Manual Secondary commander skill, as will as the other secondary commander skills and upgrades, but with the current meta brawling in a GK is challenging beginning - middle game, because range combat is preferred among most tier X. GK is a fleet of it's own, pushing a less defended cap is rather effective. Depending on situation, make sure that your "Damage Control Party" is ready, Hydro is ready, and a "Repair Party" is ready before making a push.

Finally, her size also betrays her as she is remarkably easy to hit and has one of the largest turn radii out of all Tier X battleships at over a kilometer. While her rudder shift time is fairly quick, she is so long that she takes a while to actually begin responding to turns. Even with Hydroacoustic Search active, captains should expect to sustain heavy damage when torpedoes are inevitably being sent at her if she is not already responding because of the aforementioned issues combined with her bad torpedo protection of 28%. Fire and flooding are also a concern, since they deal damage based on a percentage of maximum hit points, causing her massive health pool to work against her when volleys of enemy high explosive shells start fires and torpedoes cause flooding.

Großer Kurfürst captains should expect to sustain heavy damage from all sources as she is large and easily visible from range, but she will give back better than she gets if allowed to close the range. Play to her strengths: she is not a sniping battleship, and belongs up close and personal where her peers have difficulty countering her armor scheme, large secondary battery, and rapid traverse of her guns.

For more info, I recommend going to [O7] Potato_Quality youtube channel, he has a video on GK and I highly recommend it.

I apologize I do not have the link with me at the moment.

Anyway, have happy, and joyous holiday!

• Cool 1