You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
flackbait_steel

Not crates, Not CV rant, let's start Italian BB are OP rants

8 comments in this topic

Members
30 posts
21,354 battles

Everyone's aghast about War Gaming making money at Christmas to pay their excellent art department by selling crates that have a minimal chance of getting a ship that was removed from the game for being OP. 

Everyone (including CV mains) know CV are broken in the balance department by their very nature of adding planes into a in a surface a ship game. We're not going to fix that today.

Today we need to discuss the encounters with testing Italian battleships, SUMMARY: SAP is OVERPOWERED

The implementation  of SAP for the Italian navy has always had balancing issues. Huge alpha damage that pens from all angles unless you hit a BB turret or belt armor. The balance for the cruiser line is having a slow ROF and average accuracy at range. But we all know the Venezia is broken; 20k+ alpha strikes; I'd rather be set on fire than deal with loosing 25% of HP that can only be marginally repaired every time your hit. SAP in Destroyer battle makes Italian DDs very hard to fight as they get AP alpha damage at every angle against other DDs. Yes, their ROF is slow, but not DD can trade damage like the, except maybe Kita. 

But BB caliber shells with SAP pen everything. Every part of your cruiser is taking maximum damage from BB AP alpha. It doesn't matter if you have an auto-bounce bow, they just shoot your superstructure that cannot be damage saturated by AP damage. And BOOM its like you took 4 citadels into your bridge. 

Italian SAP generally ignores any armor scheme. Royal Navy SAP doesn't do this, nor does it have overwhelming damage. 

I know that SAP is the Italian "Theme", and that WG is trying to make new lines different so each plays differently. This is a huge challenge and I don't envy the game designers task.

However, adding easy use, massive damage ships into the game only makes players keep their distance from these ships and slows game play, lengthening games. My understanding is that they are trying to bring battles closer together and makes the action faster. Stop adding ships that the only counter-play is to stay away form them as a defense. If your armor and angling and maneuvering cannot diminish the enemies ability to attack you, you will stay back in cover. This also includes HE spam from range, and very accurate ships that are too dangerous to close on. Again, a challenge for game designers. 

Has anyone else had experience against Italian BBs and felt they were getting pooped on? 

As an aside: if HE shells also had armor angle of attack modify the effective armor BEFORE HE pen was determined, it would reduce the HE spam damage by a little. 

• Boring 1

[FOXY]
Members
1,211 posts
5,765 battles

Didnt they change the SAP so that it doesnt do more than X% of targets health after the bow has been saturated? I thought id seen that in the Super test notes.

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
2,839 battles

Of course SAP is OP.

Got to incentivize people to spend money to rush up the tree to get that tier 10.

6 months to a year after release...it will be nerfed to make room for the next BB line.

• Cool 1

[REVY]
Members
8,158 posts
6,118 battles
5 minutes ago, flackbait_steel said:

Italian BB are OP

Is SAP enough to make them OP?  I hardly see any Italian cruisers in this game.

• Cool 1

[WOLFC]
Members
3,197 posts

Today I'd rather talk about anything other that WG ... like, should a brisket be smoked fat side up? or fat side down?

Forget pixel boats, that's caused more fights in Texas than any conversation about religion, sex or politics ... :Smile_izmena:  :Smile_veryhappy:

Edited by DocWalker

[NSEW]
Members
2,152 posts
11,526 battles

I'm waiting for the day we get an Italian Premium CV.  SAP rocket planes, slow torps but with 3 launchers (because red, white, green) per attack, and AP bombs.  Super fast planes, with low HP (reliability) ; think Ferrari/Fiat.

[REVY]
Members
8,158 posts
6,118 battles
8 minutes ago, DocWalker said:

Today I'd rather talk about anything other that WG ... like, should a brisket be smoked fat side up? or fat side down?

Fat side up

Edited by Sventex