You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
paradat

Minute by Minute Pearl Harbor videos are up.

8 comments in this topic

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
1,707 posts
5,353 battles

Japan was working on the problem in secret for months or more when the American Embargo on the oil to Japan left them like a goldfish in a smaller and smaller amount of water as the imports of that oil went away. They decided to try and take out the American Carriers at Pearl on a Sunday. Well, one was south of Pearl having arrived too late saturday to enter and the other was committed I think to delivering planes to one of the American Islands. A third I think was in the west coast or Atlantic.

I just finished watching a program that showed the USS Arizona losing oil at 9 quarts a day and 500,000 gallons to go. (About 380 years to go) and another 600 some odd years before its all part of the earth last night. The Iowa they have at Pearl on the Earth after People program was shown to probably last another 20,000 years before that steel is part of the earth as well if there was no people.

I think they may have interred the last Arizona Crew under the barbette four aft. And its probably closed to further burials. https://www.npr.org/2019/12/06/785562612/pearl-harbor-veteran-expected-to-be-last-uss-arizona-survivor-interred-on-ship

Japan may have won the first round by eliminating the Pacific Forces both in Hawaii, At Philliphines and against the English, Dutch etc. What they reaped instead was a Nation that was united the next day and determined at any cost to erase Japan in total war no matter what happened. That in time led to two Japanese Cities being erased, one of them containing factory that was instrumental in building special torpedoes for use in Pearl. The idea for the attack goes all the way back to Taranto in the Mediterranean against the Italians by the British Forces there. Not to mention Italian Frogmen sinking two UK BB's at Alexandria before capture. The ships settled upright at dockside decks above water. So they think they were still operational.

Im happy and sad that we had to nuke the two cities. The alternative was to commit about 1.5 to 3 millions, some transferred from Europe by train across USA then by troop ship across the pacific... to invade mainland Japan. Casualties were expected to be almost unacceptable for that Operation planned in late 1945-1946 with the expected conquest of Japan sometime in the early 50's In fact the Purple Hearts we hand out today were made in advance of that invasion of Japan. We have plenty of those still in stock all these years later. It probably also saved Japan in a roundabout way as a People. They probably would have been erased and I think that would be the bigger tragedy.

Most of America alive today were not yet born during the bad old days of the Cold War. We were alive living 30 minutes between heaven and hell delivered by missile from the then Soviet Union. I suppose today if USA and Russia engaged in that kind of all out exchange both Nations will cease to be existing in a hour or three and most of the earth would be killed in 10 years. What would be left have to be completely different than what we are today. And that would be a great loss. What would be left? Well Cockroaches they say. They are immune to most effects and can make do well enough.

Edited by xHeavy

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,448 posts
14,816 battles

@xHeavy, I wouldn't say happy on the use of the bombs although at that point in time they were just bigger bombs but I am glad that they had the required effect on the Emperor even though the generals still wanted to fight.

[DW-62]
Beta Testers
207 posts
1,576 battles

Really love the WW2 week by week channel. If you guys want to binge, it is the same guy who did the Great War narration since 2014...

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,131 posts
4,766 battles

Boy, can Indy get himself worked up!  (As those who watched the last Armchair Admirals observed.) 

He's got great, varied delivery.  Even though the script jumps around some - of necessity - it's pretty easy to follow.

Recommended!

[IND8]
[IND8]
Members
1,105 posts
11,012 battles

Arizona blew up at 8:08 am. Oklahoma capsized at 8:12 am. Utah capsized at 8:13 am. That was a really bad 5 minutes.

Edited by Shannon_Lindsey

[CVA16]
Members
5,856 posts
18,011 battles

I would say that one "positive" for the use of the bombs in 1945 was that it occurred at a time when there was no chance of escalation (there were ONLY 2 bombs) and the results showed the world exactly how bad the results of using nukes was. Basically making them too scary to actually use.

If the effects had remained theoretical, I fear that somebody might have actually tried to use them later  (MacArthur wanted to) when there were a lot more of them, they were even bigger, and retaliation would have been required.