Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
FirstDawnn

If crates were random

16 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

17
[FFG33]
Members
34 posts
1,638 battles

I was curious, would you all buy or at least consider the crates if it was truly random? No short list, no mechanic crap, just straight up "You have a chance to win this"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,887 posts
14,029 battles

No, as Ive always said, it's a scummy monetization method.

Just buy what you want directly. If unavailable, skip it. 

I do find what happened here, more deceptive than usual (I have seen many many lootboxes across many many games); so I had to comment on it in hapas response. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17
[FFG33]
Members
34 posts
1,638 battles
3 minutes ago, Rollingonit said:

No, as Ive always said, it's a scummy monetization method.

Just buy what you want directly. If unavailable, skip it. 

I do find what happened here, more deceptive than usual (I have seen many many lootboxes across many many games); so I had to comment on it in hapas response. 

Yea, I hear you. I was one of the fish caught on the hook not realizing there was a gate, thinking it was random.

 

WG=The new Electronic Arts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,326 posts
7,773 battles
27 minutes ago, FirstDawnn said:

I was curious, would you all buy or at least consider the crates if it was truly random? No short list, no mechanic crap, just straight up "You have a chance to win this"

Give me back the same odds they had the first year of doing loot crates and I'd whale all over again, tanks Christmas event is better by far.

 

23 minutes ago, FirstDawnn said:

Yea, I hear you. I was one of the fish caught on the hook not realizing there was a gate, thinking it was random.

 

WG=The new Electronic Arts.

The new EA ? Not even close, EA is the poster child of " surprise mechanics " others aspire to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,728
[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,172 posts
4,766 battles
1 hour ago, FirstDawnn said:

I was curious, would you all buy or at least consider the crates if it was truly random? No short list, no mechanic crap, just straight up "You have a chance to win this"

I don't think you mean this.  A straight chance of 40% to get Makarov and 0.05% chance to get Missouri is still "a chance". 

Don't you mean "equal chance (over 107 ships)"?  That's a different question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,469
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,487 posts
14,823 battles

There has always been a bias through drop rates to certain items but this year there is a list that is looked at first. I am certain that they are trying to reduce the rate that ships like the Missouri drop at but I feel that just reducing the chance of them dropping would have been better than the list which dooms anyone that doesn't have all of the short list ships to not getting the more desirable ships.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
203
[PVE]
Alpha Tester
634 posts
16,472 battles
1 hour ago, FirstDawnn said:

I was curious, would you all buy or at least consider the crates if it was truly random? No short list, no mechanic crap, just straight up "You have a chance to win this"

I returned to the game two years ago, and bought crates in the last two Christmas events.  I believed it was a random equal chance to get a ship off the list, and I was OK with that.  Rather naive of me I know. I didn't know that apparently a short list may have existed then also. I'm not buying this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,032
[WOLFG]
Members
11,158 posts
10,394 battles
1 hour ago, Rollingonit said:

No, as Ive always said, it's a scummy monetization method.

 

This.  I don't really care how they massage the drop rate (short list, varied percentage, whatever).

I only have to know that they massage the drop rate to keep me clear of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,426
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
12,321 posts
17,497 battles
1 hour ago, FirstDawnn said:

I was curious, would you all buy or at least consider the crates if it was truly random? No short list, no mechanic crap, just straight up "You have a chance to win this"

Yes the crates are about much more than the ships. I use this event to restock on flags and camo. I also wait to buy any crates until after I do all of the events. Some years were so good I bought very few crates or none at all... I think last year I only bought crates from the gold I got during the event. 

I will for sure spend some on the dockyard. 

As for the ships (in crates) there is noting on the list I need and also nothing on the list I would not be happy to have so.... will see. I have most of the short list ships already. The ones I do not have are the two tier 8 Russian boats. So if and or when I buy crates I have very good odds of getting a tier 8 so that would be a very good deal, but again for most players do not buy crates for ships.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SuperTest Coordinator, Beta Testers
6,660 posts
12,064 battles
7 minutes ago, ol_Cajun said:

I returned to the game two years ago, and bought crates in the last two Christmas events.  I believed it was a random equal chance to get a ship off the list, and I was OK with that.  Rather naive of me I know. I didn't know that apparently a short list may have existed then also. I'm not buying this year.

Even if the shortlist was exhausted, the lower the tier of ship, the higher the chance it drops. Uncapped drops are weighted by tier as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
74 posts
4,045 battles
3 minutes ago, Compassghost said:

Even if the shortlist was exhausted, the lower the tier of ship, the higher the chance it drops. Uncapped drops are weighted by tier as well.

I have to agree, out of the 53 ships I obtained in my crates, zero tier 9 and a handful of tier 8's....vanguard / alabama /orhkran / and a few others.  That was 200 mega containers,  purchased.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45
[WOLFC]
Members
79 posts
8,637 battles

I am buying them now and will buy more because of all the things I can get in them. The ship chance is a bonus to me and I managed a Neustrashimy this morning in my purchase of 20 Big crates. Got a second ship Duca degla Abruzzi in the same batch. Surprisingly there is still a tier V and several tier VI ships on the list that I have not yet received so I guess I need to get more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
203
[PVE]
Alpha Tester
634 posts
16,472 battles
1 hour ago, Compassghost said:

Even if the shortlist was exhausted, the lower the tier of ship, the higher the chance it drops. Uncapped drops are weighted by tier as well.

Something else I didn't know. Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,657
[46856]
Members
1,873 posts
1 hour ago, iDuckman said:

I don't think you mean this.  A straight chance of 40% to get Makarov and 0.05% chance to get Missouri is still "a chance". 

Don't you mean "equal chance (over 107 ships)"?  That's a different question.

I think he means equitable not equal. The crate rigging is not equitable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,728
[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,172 posts
4,766 battles
55 minutes ago, Chain_shot said:

I think he means equitable not equal. The crate rigging is not equitable.

Damn straight it's not equitable.  It's not intended, nor advertised, to be.  Equality of outcome is not a right.

And I reject your use of the term "rigging".  There is an algorithm.  Having an algorithm is not "rigging" in the sense that most people take it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,657
[46856]
Members
1,873 posts
3 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Damn straight it's not equitable.  It's not intended, nor advertised, to be.  Equality of outcome is not a right.

And I reject your use of the term "rigging".  There is an algorithm.  Having an algorithm is not "rigging" in the sense that most people take it.

It's rigging.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×