You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
FirstDawnn

If crates were random

16 comments in this topic

[FFG33]
Members
34 posts
1,638 battles

I was curious, would you all buy or at least consider the crates if it was truly random? No short list, no mechanic crap, just straight up "You have a chance to win this"

Members
3,887 posts
14,029 battles

No, as Ive always said, it's a scummy monetization method.

Just buy what you want directly. If unavailable, skip it. 

I do find what happened here, more deceptive than usual (I have seen many many lootboxes across many many games); so I had to comment on it in hapas response. 

[FFG33]
Members
34 posts
1,638 battles
3 minutes ago, Rollingonit said:

Just buy what you want directly. If unavailable, skip it. 

I do find what happened here, more deceptive than usual (I have seen many many lootboxes across many many games); so I had to comment on it in hapas response. 

Yea, I hear you. I was one of the fish caught on the hook not realizing there was a gate, thinking it was random.

WG=The new Electronic Arts.

Members
1,326 posts
7,773 battles
27 minutes ago, FirstDawnn said:

I was curious, would you all buy or at least consider the crates if it was truly random? No short list, no mechanic crap, just straight up "You have a chance to win this"

Give me back the same odds they had the first year of doing loot crates and I'd whale all over again, tanks Christmas event is better by far.

23 minutes ago, FirstDawnn said:

Yea, I hear you. I was one of the fish caught on the hook not realizing there was a gate, thinking it was random.

WG=The new Electronic Arts.

The new EA ? Not even close, EA is the poster child of " surprise mechanics " others aspire to.

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,172 posts
4,766 battles
1 hour ago, FirstDawnn said:

I don't think you mean this.  A straight chance of 40% to get Makarov and 0.05% chance to get Missouri is still "a chance". 

Don't you mean "equal chance (over 107 ships)"?  That's a different question.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,487 posts
14,823 battles

There has always been a bias through drop rates to certain items but this year there is a list that is looked at first. I am certain that they are trying to reduce the rate that ships like the Missouri drop at but I feel that just reducing the chance of them dropping would have been better than the list which dooms anyone that doesn't have all of the short list ships to not getting the more desirable ships.

[PVE]
Alpha Tester
634 posts
16,472 battles

I returned to the game two years ago, and bought crates in the last two Christmas events.  I believed it was a random equal chance to get a ship off the list, and I was OK with that.  Rather naive of me I know. I didn't know that apparently a short list may have existed then also. I'm not buying this year.

[WOLFG]
Members
11,158 posts
10,394 battles
1 hour ago, Rollingonit said:

This.  I don't really care how they massage the drop rate (short list, varied percentage, whatever).

I only have to know that they massage the drop rate to keep me clear of them.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
12,321 posts
17,497 battles

Yes the crates are about much more than the ships. I use this event to restock on flags and camo. I also wait to buy any crates until after I do all of the events. Some years were so good I bought very few crates or none at all... I think last year I only bought crates from the gold I got during the event. 

I will for sure spend some on the dockyard. 

As for the ships (in crates) there is noting on the list I need and also nothing on the list I would not be happy to have so.... will see. I have most of the short list ships already. The ones I do not have are the two tier 8 Russian boats. So if and or when I buy crates I have very good odds of getting a tier 8 so that would be a very good deal, but again for most players do not buy crates for ships.

SuperTest Coordinator, Beta Testers
6,660 posts
12,064 battles
7 minutes ago, ol_Cajun said:

I returned to the game two years ago, and bought crates in the last two Christmas events.  I believed it was a random equal chance to get a ship off the list, and I was OK with that.  Rather naive of me I know. I didn't know that apparently a short list may have existed then also. I'm not buying this year.

Even if the shortlist was exhausted, the lower the tier of ship, the higher the chance it drops. Uncapped drops are weighted by tier as well.

Beta Testers
74 posts
4,045 battles
3 minutes ago, Compassghost said:

Even if the shortlist was exhausted, the lower the tier of ship, the higher the chance it drops. Uncapped drops are weighted by tier as well.

I have to agree, out of the 53 ships I obtained in my crates, zero tier 9 and a handful of tier 8's....vanguard / alabama /orhkran / and a few others.  That was 200 mega containers,  purchased.

[WOLFC]
Members
79 posts
8,637 battles

I am buying them now and will buy more because of all the things I can get in them. The ship chance is a bonus to me and I managed a Neustrashimy this morning in my purchase of 20 Big crates. Got a second ship Duca degla Abruzzi in the same batch. Surprisingly there is still a tier V and several tier VI ships on the list that I have not yet received so I guess I need to get more. 

[PVE]
Alpha Tester
634 posts
16,472 battles
1 hour ago, Compassghost said:

Something else I didn't know. Thank you.

[46856]
Members
1,873 posts
1 hour ago, iDuckman said:

I don't think you mean this.  A straight chance of 40% to get Makarov and 0.05% chance to get Missouri is still "a chance". 

Don't you mean "equal chance (over 107 ships)"?  That's a different question.

I think he means equitable not equal. The crate rigging is not equitable.

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,172 posts
4,766 battles
55 minutes ago, Chain_shot said:

I think he means equitable not equal. The crate rigging is not equitable.

Damn straight it's not equitable.  It's not intended, nor advertised, to be.  Equality of outcome is not a right.

And I reject your use of the term "rigging".  There is an algorithm.  Having an algorithm is not "rigging" in the sense that most people take it.

[46856]
Members
1,873 posts
3 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Damn straight it's not equitable.  It's not intended, nor advertised, to be.  Equality of outcome is not a right.

And I reject your use of the term "rigging".  There is an algorithm.  Having an algorithm is not "rigging" in the sense that most people take it.

It's rigging.

• Cool 1