You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Kansas costs WHAT to unlock? (SOLVED)

12 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
22,410 posts
16,285 battles

Kansas, from the Wiki:

image.png.afa14d257e1d0db4e196f0ca325fe2ad.png 

North Carolina, from the Wiki.

image.png.d174ce8eac5499043674e1e0ee0576bb.png

Man, I put 127,000 on the Colorado before Kansas was announced to be an early release for directives, and I thought it was easily going to be enough. 

I haven't looked at the Colorado's equipment list since before the full release - maybe the price is justified from the Kansas research pathway coming off the GFCS upgrade and not the main hull?  (ETA: No, it's directly off the guns with no steps in between. When you include the B hull, North Carolina from STOCK Colorado is actually slightly more. See below.)

Can someone who doesn't have the Kansas please confirm this figure in-game? Preferably someone who currently doesn't belong to a clan, so they can also confirm her full credit price without clan discounts.

That's just... yeah, I think I'd take the North Carolina first too, quite frankly.

I'm inclined to think that 140,000 extra to grind in the Colorado after you unlock NC is Wargaming saying "We want you to be really, REALLY sure before you take this line on that this is the playstyle you want." However, the chances are that if you're willing to suffer the regrind in the Colorado with a n00b low-points captain, and you use any significant number of camos and flags that boost both ship and commander XP, he'll most likely be at least a 10 pointer when the time comes to shift him up to the Kansas. (HINT: Operation Narai; a low-points captain is probably much less of a handicap there.)

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,794 posts
20,284 battles

How much XP is the GFCS on Colorado? And how much XP is the top hull?

[SALTY]
Beta Testers
608 posts
7,569 battles

Any xp cost to unlock the Chonk is too much.

Same for the Super Chonk and the Mega Chonk.

• Funny 1

[ARGSY]
Members
22,410 posts
16,285 battles
8 minutes ago, Lert said:

How much XP is the GFCS on Colorado? And how much XP is the top hull?

image.png.e0c7b46a1a4e2dcfed860ff22d64b809.png

If Kansas comes off the GFCS line, the increased XP for just her hull probably keeps things in balance if you want to tackle the lines independently and you want to go straight through from South Carolina to Vermont. If you're starting with a fully researched Colorado (GFCS and Hull B only just unlocked), it might not appear that way.

4 minutes ago, Kartaugh said:

Any xp cost to unlock the Chonk is too much.

Same for the Super Chonk and the Mega Chonk.

If you're going to put your two cents worth in, perhaps you would like to be at least partially helpful and post some figures.

There have been people saying they find the line undesirable or unplayable right from the very start, and while I respect their right to their opinion,  merely to restate it as an absolute truth gets old very quickly at this point in time.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[SALTY]
Beta Testers
608 posts
7,569 battles
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

If you're going to put your two cents worth in, perhaps you would like to be at least partially helpful and post some figures.

There have been people saying they find the line undesirable or unplayable right from the very start, and while I respect their right to their opinion,  merely to restate it as an absolute truth gets old very quickly at this point in time.

So you think I need to actually eat crap to know it has bad taste?

Nah, I'm not gonna subject myself to these ships any more than I need. I unlocked the Chonk during the event, played it once in Co-op (I think) and went "Yeah, it's as bad as it looks!".

A few of my clan mates went all the way to Mega Chonk, and their opinion is universally negative.

• Cool 2
  • Meh 1

[ARGSY]
Members
22,410 posts
16,285 battles
1 minute ago, Kartaugh said:

So you think I need to actually eat crap to know it has bad taste?

I wasn't asking you to play the ship. I was asking for a confirmation of the XP cost to make sure the Wiki is not in error, but as you obtained the ship early the same way I did, you cannot contribute in this fashion. That's fine, but all you had to say was "Sorry, I got her in early unlock too and can't give you the figures."

One man's meat is another man's poison. You go your way and I'll go mine.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 1

[RSDWG]
Members
525 posts
11,663 battles

I don't expect much from it (The Kansas), but I am surprised when I do well in a game with it. If I rush in I get clobbered right off the bat. But if I stay back and snipe I do good. I try to fire 1 main gun at a time every 10 seconds, that way something is going at the enemy every 10 seconds. I go back and forth across the map at full speed and stay back. Keep a eye out for sneaky DD's to try to ambush you, which is pretty easy for them.

I didn't pay much attention to the cost and such. I had a ton of XP and credits saved up for such a advent as this. Now I'm saving up for the next major event of the tech tree.

I do have fun with the Kansas, Minnesota, and Vermont. You just have to accept the nerf's right now. But I notice, in the past, if the wheel gets squeaky enough WG may buff them....fingers crossed!

Best regards,

rustydawg

Members
333 posts
25 battles

I mean comparing it to Bismarck, Amagi, Monarch and Vlad' which all cost 135000 and Richelieu is 136000xp (and I am totally on board for 0.7% additional Lyon, that ship is just hilarious)

Kansas is more expensive but not by much and it seems North Cal' to be the oddly cheap one. Maybe an artefact of before Colorado's C hull was removed with patch 0.6.2?

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
22,410 posts
16,285 battles
7 minutes ago, SoothingWhaleSongEU said:

Maybe an artefact of before Colorado's C hull was removed with patch 0.6.2?

Technically the A hull was removed and the remainder was rearranged (per the Wiki). We know what happened to that A hull - it became WV41 - but I must say I'm surprised that we've never seen a premium Yamashiro take on the original Fuso characteristics at Tier 5 or 6. Probably Tier 6; twelve 14-inch guns out to 20km is probably just a bit too strong versus Tier 4 even if it's stock original Fuso, and if the ARP Kongos are anything to go by then chances are Yamashiro at Tier 6 would be a fully researched Fuso with some gimmick to tell her apart.

[ARGSY]
Members
22,410 posts
16,285 battles

Okay, everyone, mystery solved. Here is the answer:

image.png.071dacca9347b3c6698d2b3cd384db44.png

Kansas comes straight off the Colorado's guns, with no hulls or other in-betweens to research. That's why she's more expensive in pure XP terms. To get to the nominally XP-cheaper North Carolina, you have to go through the Colorado B hull.

The same thing used to happen with the Kiev, coming off the Minsk.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
5,327 posts
5,810 battles

I made the same error.  I banked 123k on Colorado thinking it would be 120 or 125k.  Nope, 140k.  Had to do a couple more Colorado battles to get to 140k.