You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
_JohnWick_

Are any of these SHIPS any good??

58 comments in this topic

Members
95 posts
2,764 battles

So I bought 60 MegaCrates.. I was mainly buying them to up my flags/camos, and hopefully a tier 9 ship..

even managed to get 180 premium days which was nice and about 15,000 doubloons and I got a bunch of ships.. Below are the ships I got in no particular order and I'm just wondering if any are actually competitive?

- Hill

- Marblehead

- Marblehead L

- Monaghan

- Huanghe

- Duca D'Aosta

- Yudachi

- Nueve de Julio

- Ochakov

- Vanguard

Thanks

[FOXY]
Members
1,211 posts
5,765 battles

Ive enjoyed my matches in the Vanguard. Alot more than i did in the DOY. Only premium ship ive regretted buying so far is the DOY.

The Monaghan i will be using for operations moving forward. Its a good lil boat

Edited by Princess_Daystar

[SIM]
Members
5,587 posts
9,012 battles

None of those ships are particularly renowned for being competitive, no. They can mostly get the job done, but they’re rarely going to be a first choice for someone working up their stats.

• Cool 1

[META_]
Members
1,660 posts
17,317 battles
10 minutes ago, _JohnWick_ said:

So I bought 60 MegaCrates.. I was mainly buying them to up my flags/camos, and hopefully a tier 9 ship..

even managed to get 180 premium days which was nice and about 15,000 doubloons and I got a bunch of ships.. Below are the ships I got in no particular order and I'm just wondering if any are actually competitive?

- Hill

- Marblehead

- Marblehead L

- Monaghan

- Huanghe

- Duca D'Aosta

- Yudachi

- Nueve de Julio

- Ochakov

- Vanguard

Thanks

Hello captain...the OP is incorrect you have gotten a few good ships out of this...I have multiple videos on the monaghan on my YouTube channel Meta_man2002..she has 1 less rifle than the Farragut but still.out guns most tier 6 dds , has better AA than Farragut and DFAA , and still American smoke...she is strong i keep her in the mid to high 60s% wr...Huange is a unique ship also and i use her but I am not as good in her...she has great concealment, great tier 6 AA moving smoke and high velocity guns but is a paper dragon as in she dies quick from every angle....DONT GET SHOT,Lol...the other boats I do not have but am sure a few are good also...happy hunting captain 

Edited by Meta_Man
  • Cool 1

Members
1,818 posts
27,105 battles

Your Omahas (Marbleheads) are excellent at frustrating BBs and blapping closer-in DDs,

but you must keep dancing and shooting the whole match!

Your rudder should be amidships ONLY on its way to whatever other direction you're coming from, and your trigger finger must be helped off the (presumably) left mouse button it's been laying on constantly.

You will be tired, but mildly satisfied at the terror contribution you made for your team.

• Cool 1

[SALTY]
Beta Testers
607 posts
7,562 battles

Here's a picture of your new ships in port:

maxresdefault.jpg

Grats on your new acquisitions!

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Haha 1
  • Meh 1

[TIAR]
[TIAR]
Beta Testers
1,448 posts
21,577 battles
52 minutes ago, _JohnWick_ said:

Thanks

- Hill                              Decent captain trainer

- Marblehead               Crap

- Marblehead L            Crap

- Monaghan                  Decent captain trainer

- Huanghe                     No idea

- Duca D'Aosta             No Idea

- Yudachi                       No idea

- Nueve de Julio           Boise sistership, you only have 2 Pan american ships, so not much value as a captain trainer, but, like Boise fun to play

- Ochakov                      No idea

- Vanguard                    No idea

[RCNW3]
Members
1,947 posts
20,408 battles

Hill does Ok, Monaghan with torp reload can be amazing

All the others are not very good - port queens

[WOLFG]
Members
11,115 posts
10,350 battles

Lets just say none are likely to go on the removed list.

Marblehead is pretty much a fully upgraded Omaha.  Do you like Omaha?

Monaghan gives Def AA or a torp reloader.  As I recall, even with Def AA, AA was nothing special during RTS, so if you like torp reloader it is useful.

I know Huanghe and Duca have some fans.

[NONE]
Members
3,757 posts

Nuevo is basically the Boise. Power-crept but still viable. Enjoy the artisinal flame-throwing till the skill rebork.

The rest of your list is trash.

[1CVDV]
Members
233 posts
11,839 battles

monaghan:take rear turret off and install aa hull.with all the double cv's should make boat more fun to play.go win yourself a few aa defense expert achievements....sax29.

[-VIP-]
Beta Testers
55 posts
6,815 battles

Monaghan, depending how you fit it out, feels like either a Japanese DD or a typical US DD. I like it.

I don't care what anyone else says, I really like Huanghe. It shreds planes, has great concealment, and flamethrower guns set tons of fires.

Have D'Aosta, can't make it work no matter what I try.

The Omahas are, eeehh, well, they CAN work, sometimes...

Don't have the others, but I've heard mostly negative things about most of them.

[ARGSY]
Members
22,256 posts
16,226 battles
2 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

As I recall, even with Def AA, AA was nothing special during RTS,

If you had a Monaghan but not a Sims when Operation Dynamo was a thing, it could be useful there. The enemy but planes weren't much to write home about, and the DFAA could deal with them adequately. The big problem there was the two main guns you gave up; you had to be really willing to focus on getting the AA kills. Now, Monaghan is no more than an interesting niche hybrid. There are better ships to buy outright, but having won her you should go out and give her a shot. In her base form, she is a modified Farragut - this can be used as a basis for playstyle. 

[WOLFG]
Members
11,115 posts
10,350 battles
Just now, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

If you had a Monaghan but not a Sims when Operation Dynamo was a thing, it could be useful there. The enemy but planes weren't much to write home about, and the DFAA could deal with them adequately. The big problem there was the two main guns you gave up; you had to be really willing to focus on getting the AA kills. Now, Monaghan is no more than an interesting niche hybrid. There are better ships to buy outright, but having won her you should go out and give her a shot. In her base form, she is a modified Farragut - this can be used as a basis for playstyle. 

I actually bought the Monaghan :Smile_hiding:

It was the least expensive U.S. DD trainer at the time.  Since the AA was meh (and I play it in coop where you always get some plane kills)  I always run reload booster.

[ARGSY]
Members
22,256 posts
16,226 battles
19 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

I actually bought the Monaghan 

So did I. The hybrid aspect looked interesting, and I wanted to give it a bash. It didn't completely work out the way I expected, but having an AA destroyer (even a mediocre one) that I could take to Dynamo while it was still running was part compensation for that.

Eventually I bought Sims to take to Dynamo - shortly before Dynamo was pulled, LOL - but Sims continues to please in many other ways; she is still nimble with fast-turning guns, and her soft-pillow torps are good for racking up multiple hits on enemy BBs and cruisers in directive missions without the target dying to the first three or four and the rest being effectively wasted on the dead hull.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[WMD]
Members
1,779 posts
10,120 battles

Vanguard can be a lot of fun, she plays more like a cruiser than BB though. It will never be "competitive", but fun doesn't necessarily always (ever) have to involve bow tanking.... 

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
12,313 posts
17,497 battles
1 hour ago, Princess_Daystar said:

Ive enjoyed my matches in the Vanguard. Alot more than i did in the DOY. Only premium ship ive regretted buying so far is the DOY.

The Monaghan i will be using for operations moving forward. Its a good lil boat

This ^^^

Oddly I enjoy Yudachi as well even though it is objectively bad. 

The rest are useable but not grate.

They are all fantastic for snowflakes when applicable. Don't sell any of them.

[GRETA]
Members
1,257 posts
10,126 battles

I have the Duca D'Aosta and I really enjoy it.  I am by no means a cruiser main so my skill set with cruisers is rather limited.  All I do with her is hang back, sling he at ships while dodging incoming fire.  Seems to work for me anyway.  She seems pretty nimble and her guns have really flat arcs making the above-mentioned play rather easy.

[-AGW-]
Members
1,006 posts
15,277 battles

I do pretty well with Duca D'Aosta. Feels like something between a Emile Bertin and Exeter. But apparently that's not allowed. 

Vanguard is not as bad as I first thought, but you pretty much have to play it like a squishy cruiser.

[RBMK2]
[RBMK2]
Members
603 posts
12,380 battles

Hill- can be an OK trainer, but Monaghan will serve you better here.

Marbleheads - I'm one of those weirdos who appreciate them for what they are. Squishy T5 cruisers (aren't all T 5 cruisers squishy) with lots of guns. They are fun until someone noticed you and shoots bach. Fortunately you have 2, so when one dies head back to port and get the other.

Monaghan - is a nice boat. Lot's of options well worth getting if you play American DDs .

Haunghe - if you learn to play it properly it can be a giant pain, but you do depend on your team to spot for you. When others shoot at you, you explode quickly.

Duca - is a nice CL. Too bad she doesn't share the SAP, exhaust smoke of the tech tree line

Yaduchi - only played it a couple of times and it is now snowflake only. One of my bottom 5 bad boats. YMMV

NDJ - is a nice boat. 15 guns and a super heal fixes a lot of stupid.

Oka - just got it myself, so really don't know. Smolensk at T8 but no smoke I have heard

Vanguard is a nice British BB trainer. Not OP by any means, but you're not hurting the team by bringing her.

Edit: autocorrect

Edited by contag10n

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,139 posts
4,766 battles
2 hours ago, _JohnWick_ said:

- Nueve de Julio

Boise in disguise.  Hella yes. No captain trainers for her, unfortunately.

Huanghe, played properly, can be a lot of fun (as per @contag10n)

Duca d'Aosta - I hear good things. 

The others are moderately interesting, and may fill gaps as trainers.  You did okay.

Members
95 posts
2,764 battles
1 hour ago, why_u_heff_to_be_mad said:

the bad news, those ships

the good news is, you won't get them dropped anymore 

better news? I will not be buying any further boxes

Edited by _JohnWick_