Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Hapa_Fodder

Naval Legends: Pearl Harbor

12 comments in this topic

[WG]
Administrator, Developers, Community Department, WG Staff, In AlfaTesters
4,237 posts
14,659 battles

The new episode provides a brief account of the surprise attack staged by Japanese carrier-borne aircraft on Pearl Harbor.

Read it on the portal

[-ARP-]
[-ARP-]
Members
1,286 posts
19,898 battles

Rest in Peace, brave dead of Pearl Harbor

Peter Tomich.jpg

Peter Tomich

chief watertender on board the training and target ship USS Utah. On December 7, 1941, while the ship lay in Pearl Harbor, moored off Ford Island, she was torpedoed during Japan's raid on Pearl Harbor.

Tomich was on duty in a boiler room. As Utah began to capsize, he remained below, securing the boilers and making certain that other men escaped, and so lost his life.

Aerial_view_of_the_USS_Utah_Memorial%2C_Pearl_Harbor%2C_in_March_2016.JPG

There is another memorial at Pearl Harbor besides the one for the Arizona, it is for the Utah, and Peter Tomich rests inside the Utah to this day.

461 men got off Utah, many of them because of Peter. 

Edited by Cit_the_bed
  • Cool 4

[RLGN]
Members
15,136 posts
26,755 battles

Because of various connections, no longer extant; I got to go visit the Utah Memorial when I went to Pearl Harbor. (It’s actually on a normally closed to the public part of Ford Island.)

Edited by Estimated_Prophet
  • Cool 1

Members
21 posts
594 battles
3 hours ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

The new episode provides a brief account of the surprise attack staged by Japanese carrier-borne aircraft on Pearl Harbor.

Read it on the portal

i feel i need to correct you on that.   it wasn't a surprise attack.  japan issued a warning to the united states that it would attack.  america just ignored it because they thought it was impossible. history actually backs up the "japan gave full warning" story rather than the "japanese surprise attack" story.

• Meh 2

[UTWE]
Members
380 posts
7,215 battles

If only WG was as good at balancing their game and listening to their player base as they are at making awesome cinematics... 

• Cool 1

[LOVE]
[LOVE]
Members
84 posts
15,471 battles
6 hours ago, MidnightZer0 said:

i feel i need to correct you on that.   it wasn't a surprise attack.  japan issued a warning to the united states that it would attack.  america just ignored it because they thought it was impossible. history actually backs up the "japan gave full warning" story rather than the "japanese surprise attack" story.

History shows that the Japanese had only intended to give the US a 30 minute window prior to the attack, how much can you do in 30 minutes. Now take that 30 minutes, and add the 2 hours it actually took to decode the message, and you got yourself a surprise attack. You probably could of thought of something more respectful to say if you took the full 30 minutes.

• Cool 1

Members
21 posts
594 battles
1 minute ago, Fallschirmfuchs said:

History shows that the Japanese had only intended to give the US a 30 minute window prior to the attack, how much can you do in 30 minutes. Now take that 30 minutes, and add the 2 hours it actually took to decode the message, and you got yourself a surprise attack. You probably could of thought of something more respectful to say if you took the full 30 minutes.

actually there was a sub that was sunk within hours prior to the attack nearly 2 hours before hand to be exact. the attack was at 8 am,  the sub was sunk around 6:30 am.  the ship that sunk said sub was the uss ward. and they radioed back to base but because they couldn't get confirmation the report was dismissed.  said sub was actually found in 2002. with a clear hole right at the base of her conning tower that matched the wards' report..    you can actually go and see the very gun that sunk said sub btw. last i knew it was on display in Minnesota

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,862 posts
16,669 battles

Our beloved Drachinfel did a 3 part series on the aftermath and salvage if anyone wants to additional information.:fish_aqua:

• Cool 2

[LOVE]
[LOVE]
Members
84 posts
15,471 battles
2 hours ago, MidnightZer0 said:

actually there was a sub that was sunk within hours prior to the attack nearly 2 hours before hand to be exact. the attack was at 8 am,  the sub was sunk around 6:30 am.  the ship that sunk said sub was the uss ward. and they radioed back to base but because they couldn't get confirmation the report was dismissed.  said sub was actually found in 2002. with a clear hole right at the base of her conning tower that matched the wards' report..    you can actually go and see the very gun that sunk said sub btw. last i knew it was on display in Minnesota

USS Ward did her job, as intended, but it wasn't known to what extent that sub was doing there until it was to late. Ward wasn't the one that spotted the sub and she wasn't the only one to depth charge it, Admiral Kimmel was on his way to the office to learn of the reports when the actual air raid had commenced. Then it was swept under the rug as the harbor burned. It's not even the first incident, but it's not a declaration of war either.

Members
21 posts
594 battles
3 hours ago, Fallschirmfuchs said:

USS Ward did her job, as intended, but it wasn't known to what extent that sub was doing there until it was to late. Ward wasn't the one that spotted the sub and she wasn't the only one to depth charge it, Admiral Kimmel was on his way to the office to learn of the reports when the actual air raid had commenced. Then it was swept under the rug as the harbor burned. It's not even the first incident, but it's not a declaration of war either.

i'm going to dive a bit into alt history here. but had the wards report been acted on there would have been fewer deaths and the Utah, Arizona and Oklahoma probably wouldn't have been  complete losses, would three ships surviving make much of a difference? who knows. the scenario i'm putting together here is entirely a what if  sort of thing, and yes i know they managed to re-float the Oklahoma but she sank on her way back to the mainland while under tow. though i'm also guessing it would have taken less time for the united states to push japan back. after all if they lost at pearl harbor they wouldn't have the time to take, and get dug in on the islands they took from the united states.  also the united states would have a bulk of the materials that would have been used to re-float all but two of the ships sunk that day. meaning it would have more resources to use in building more ships to quickly steam roll over the japanese fleets as well as defend the islands it was holding at the time.

i know alt history isn't actual history. i prefer to see history less linear than most people,  there's always two possible results to any given event. each outcome generates its own timeline.    example  timeline A: ward sinks japanese sub and the report is dismissed. even though it's dismissed the Japanese have still lost the element of surprise. and timeline B  ward still sinks the sub, the report goes through because they were able to confirm they sunk a Japanese sub. thus the base is put on alert, granted they'd have to do so quietly given that it's likely there were spies. and in fairness, timeline C ward fails to stop the sub from entering the harbor, the sub then causes havoc within, likely by sinking a cargo ship near the opening of the harbor, trapping the us fleet inside.   or even weirder timeline D  the flight of bombers coming in from the mainland arrive a day earlier than expected meaning when the radar detects planes on their way to the harbor on dec 7th, the base is put on alert and all ships are prepped for combat and are moved out of the harbor, completely preventing the attack at the harbor it's self from ever happening

timeline b,c, and d likely also happened  but because we're in timeline A we don't know the outcomes to b,c, and d.

Members
1 post
795 battles

be really cool to have a game mission to intercept and destroy the Japanese fleet and save Pearl Harbor from being attacked  

Edited by Treyvader

Sign in to follow this