Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
BoS_Mud

Kansas is a bore to play

53 comments in this topic

[MCGA]
Members
101 posts
11,299 battles

Debate all you want about its effectiveness, but numbers aside...it just is a downright stupid ship.

Which clown OK'd this as ready to release. 40 second reload is STUPID.

Just......freaking.......boring.

• Cool 7
  • Boring 1

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
1,807 posts

Eh, the bores on those weapons are pretty big.

You can try to drop a Halsey in there and switch back and forth between HE and AP possibly. That might cut it down some. I don't know yet if it works.

I sold mine after a go at it. She is just too slow to get into the fight where it matters. The games are over in two to three minutes. And in Random she gets farmed to death with her 102K health points. Im just happy that we have fast battleships now. I wont not be any slower than 30 knots if I can help it. I was awarded a Japanese winter BB that was very good at 33 knots and fought like a cruiser. But somewhere along the line she got muffed. I don't see her anywhere for sale so.. eh..

Edited by xHeavy

[MCGA]
Members
101 posts
11,299 battles

Hope you don't miss your shot, because it'll be 1 min 20 seconds between hits.......

Real fun ship you designed Wargaming.

This is sarcasm incase you can't figure it out.

[LOIN]
Supertester
844 posts

Kansas needs alot. I'm currently boycotting the new U.S battleship line. Until they make serious changes on these guys.

For Kansas I would do the following: increase the armor, Increase the armor penetration of the AP shells to be similar to other tier 8s, decrease the ludicrous 40 second reload to 34 seconds, and increase the accuracy. Also increase the base speed to 24 knots. 

Currently when I play against the Kansas. I'm very overjoyed when the BB is the Kansas. Especially when I'm playing another BB. Because I just don't have to angle that much and can really do some serious damage to it at close range (because armor is worthless). I mean I can litterally brawl in any tier 8 or 7 BB against her and win every time. Without suffering too much.

Edited by Starfleet1701

[PVE]
Members
7,321 posts
23,193 battles
51 minutes ago, BoS_Mud said:

45 minutes ago, xHeavy said:

Eh, the bores on those weapons are pretty big.

Acknowledgement :-)

[SVEN]
Beta Testers
226 posts
7,112 battles
5 minutes ago, Starfleet1701 said:

Kansas needs alot. I'm currently boycotting the new U.S battleship line. Until they make serious changes on these guys.

For Kansas I would do the following: increase the armor, Increase the armor penetration of the AP shells to be similar to other tier 8s, decrease the ludicrous 40 second reload to 34 seconds, and increase the accuracy. Also increase the base speed to 24 knots.

They buffed the sigma as of the last patch.  I just play mine like a stock NC.  Trades speed and dispersion for three more barrels and first rate AA.  Not a fair trade by any means but it's not too difficult to make work if you have reasonable map awareness.  You will have more inconsistency with more games at the extremes than something like the NC.

[MCGA]
Members
101 posts
11,299 battles
3 minutes ago, utgotye said:

They buffed the sigma as of the last patch.  I just play mine like a stock NC.  Trades speed and dispersion for three more barrels and first rate AA.  Not a fair trade by any means but it's not too difficult to make work if you have reasonable map awareness.  You will have more inconsistency with more games at the extremes than something like the NC.

You missed the point of the article.

It.....is...boring.....to....play.

Shoot, go take a piss, come back.

Shoot, go make a sandwich, come back.

Shoot, go check on the kids, stop by the store, come back.

Shoot and match is over.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[PVE]
Members
7,321 posts
23,193 battles
1 hour ago, xHeavy said:

You can try to drop a Halsey in there and switch back and forth between HE and AP possibly. That might cut it down some. I don't know yet if it works.

Assuming you mean w/the Expert Loader skill...

Unfortunately that doesn't work (it used to...but that was a loooong time ago).

If you read the skill description it states that all the barrels must be reloaded 1st (IOW...you need to wait the whole 40 seconds 1st)...& then it will take another 10 seconds (40-75%) for the shells to switch...which makes the wait time 50 seconds to be able to fire again.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,729 posts

I dislike the slow Kansas too. However, the stats show that the new USN BBs are actually doing better than the old USN BB line.  

Kansas U.S.A. 89 183 50.37 % 0.68 58 396 1 553 5.17 1.33

North Carolina U.S.A. 6 997 963 48.91 % 0.66 50 169 1 266 3.24 1.14

Minnesota U.S.A. 41 488 49.30 % 0.75 72 319 1 665 2.70 1.50

Iowa U.S.A. 4 731 348 48.11 % 0.65 57 778 1 332 2.44 1.07

Vermont U.S.A. 5 258 53.15 % 0.87 98 604 1 992 4.05 1.97
Montana U.S.A. 5 023 539 48.81 % 0.78 77 061 1 653 3.02 1.40

Edited by Snargfargle

[TSG4]
[TSG4]
Volunteer Moderator
3,265 posts
16,601 battles
27 minutes ago, Starfleet1701 said:

Without suffering too much.

My Kanssas, Minosoda and Vermont would like to have a word with you   :Smile_izmena:

:Smile_sceptic:

:Smile_trollface:

[QC_1_]
Beta Testers
183 posts
7,984 battles
1 minute ago, Snargfargle said:

I dislike the slow Kansas too. However, the stats show that the new USN BBs are actually doing better than the old USN BB line.  

The ships are so bad that they discourage even really bad players to play the ship (ie, they try it and run away, bored).

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[_XFC_]
Members
64 posts
1 hour ago, BoS_Mud said:

Debate all you want about its effectiveness, but numbers aside...it just is a downright stupid ship.

Why I stopped playing bbs after my first month in the game.

• Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,729 posts
13 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

all the barrels must be reloaded 1st 

Those of us who have actually served in units that used the big guns find that skill hilarious. Once you load a tube it doesn't take you less time to unload and reload it. In fact, it is a real pain unloading a shell because the rammer shoves it up into the forcing cone and imprints the rifling onto the driving band. It's a lot easier just to shoot the wrong shells out of the tube and then load the right ones, rather than trying to unload them. Now, this is less of a pain with cased ammo but the big 8-inch and 16-inch guns used separate powder bags and shells.

• Cool 2

[SALVO]
Members
25,864 posts
28,228 battles
43 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Those of us who have actually served in units that used the big guns find that skill hilarious. Once you load a tube it doesn't take you less time to unload and reload it. In fact, it is a real pain unloading a shell because the rammer shoves it up into the forcing cone and imprints the rifling onto the driving band. It's a lot easier just to shoot the wrong shells out of the tube and then load the right ones, rather than trying to unload them. Now, this is less of a pain with cased ammo but the big 8-inch and 16-inch guns used separate powder bags and shells.

Bingo!!!!  

Members
171 posts
5,775 battles

I've been playing the Kansas and, from what I can tell, doing damage in isn't an issue. Neither is the speed when you play it in the back lines, and it is surprisingly tanky (again when played in the back lines, aka where they are suppose to be played). Heck, I don't even have an issue with the reload.

The thing that does really piss me off is just how much worse your guns/shells are when compared to the NC's. I mean you are the same tier in the same nation, same rate of fire per shell, and yet the Kansas gets much lower pen (sometimes I have difficulty penning other Kansas at 6-7KM), much lower accuracy in both dispersion and sigma, and a fair bit lower damage. The only thing that it has going to it is slightly faster AP shell speed... the NC even beats it in max range.

I mean, seriously? The Kansas can do 141,600 damage per salvo (not that it will, I found that you can't citadel most ships for some reason) every 40 seconds, North Carolina does 117,900 damage per salvo every 30 seconds. Basically the NC does ~17% less damage per salvo, but shoots 25% faster. From my calculation (which might be wrong), but the Kansas does 212,400 DPM, whereas the NC does 235,800 DPM. The ship that basically gives up everything to have more guns doesn't even do more DPM than an all rounder like the NC.

I thought the Kansas might have better cit protection and turning, but even that I am not sure. All in all, they made a ship that is almost 100% worse than the NC in all aspects except DFAA and salvo weight. I am not impressed.

[LOIN]
Supertester
844 posts
1 hour ago, ObiphanKenobi said:

My Kanssas, Minosoda and Vermont would like to have a word with you   :Smile_izmena:

:Smile_sceptic:

:Smile_trollface:

Kansas pentatrates armor worse than Colorado. So, it ain't something I'm worried about. Vermont haha, not something I'm worried about either. Slap it with AP or HE it's done. 

Members
3,664 posts
42,552 battles
4 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Yep, can you imagine how hard it would be like in the gun house to back out the powder bags, then pull the shell out?

It would be stuck like you say from the ramming. Nevermind the inherent danger of handling powder bags from a breech with an armed shell inside. Because a shell is armed before the ram.  (Detonator cap)

Edited by SteelRain_Rifleman

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,729 posts
8 minutes ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

Because a shell is armed before the ram.  (Detonator cap)

I think you mean "fuzed." Artillery shell fuses are pretty safe as they are not armed until they are spun for a certain amount of time after the shell leaves the tube. That's not to say that some can't have manufacturing defects that might cause them to go off early. A "short round" (a shell prematurely exploding) was always a concern. However, for the most part fuses are amazingly safe. I saw a shell fall of the loader once and hit the spade smack dab on its point-detonating fuse. EOD had to come get the shell and detonate it because there was no taking that smashed fuse out.

[ARGSY]
Members
22,445 posts
16,309 battles
9 hours ago, BoS_Mud said:

What's your favourite ship, OP?

Nobody's forcing you to play this thing. So she's not for you - big deal. So what? Play what you enjoy; don't torture yourself with what you don't. But if there is that tiny little corner of your hindbrain which longs for the power that twelve 18-inch guns can bring you, wait until the next Public Test Server season. The US heavy BBs should be available in it by then, and you can grab yourself a Vermont to play with for a couple of weekends each month without having to suffer Kansas and Minnesota.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[POP]
Members
2,995 posts
24,097 battles
10 hours ago, BoS_Mud said:

Look be grateful it does more than 20 knots and takes half a hour to reload its main guns :Smile_teethhappy: 

[FOXY]
Members
1,211 posts
5,765 battles
9 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Tbf, one of those lines has millions of matches in it and the percantage doesnt change much, the other is recently released and can shift faster as more players obtain it.

The Kansas and Minnies ive seen are usually being played by average+ (above 49% wrs)players too.

• Cool 1

[_TKS_]
Members
1,268 posts
9,940 battles

I skipped Kansas and started working on Minnesota. Difference is night and day to me. Minnesota can actually hit hard with her guns and the only noticeable thing is her speed; the reload doesn’t bother me all that much if I can smash targets for chunks of damage every time.

[A-D-F]
Members
1,290 posts
12,046 battles

Should be no surprise that a gatekeeper ship and a sucking chest wound have traits in common. This one just happens to be moved down to tier 8. (because not many really expected a sandpaper marital aid at that tier.)

10 hours ago, slokill_1 said:

Yes.  It should be a lot of fun, but the 40 sec reload sucks the fizz right out of that.

There's a dozen ways that statement can be elaborated on. Most of which will probably earn a sternly worded rebuke from the mods. 

Such a reaction doesn't make sense unless some of those "colorful descriptors" also contain an element of the truth. 

Those who pimp (in increasingly disingenuous ways) a product  that has gone downhill, have only themselves to blame if they choose to get butthurt by such truths.  

Comes a point that "deceptive language" & "perfectly legal practices" ring a bit hollow. 

Happy St. Makarov's Day, right?

[FORM]
Members
1,973 posts
12,638 battles

Yup. Same goes for the Minny and I assume Vermont. Too slow to really have enough impact on the flow of the battle with almost no carry ability. Unless your team is at least ok, you're nothing but a slow firing, slow moving, bit fat target who can't get away from anyone.

Sign in to follow this