Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
IfYouSeeKhaos

The Pearl Harbor reenactment.

21 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

2,047
[PVE]
Members
7,234 posts
23,080 battles

@Hapa_Fodder/ @Gneisenau013

I know the Pearl Harbor reenactment (w/Indy, Spartacus & Drach) is tomorrow sometime but don't know the exact time or where it will be at (think steam but not sure).

Can you post a reminder message about it (preferably w/a US time zone for reference) on the top of the forum (as opposed to just a reply in this thread) so others don't miss out...preferably this evening so it's not just a last minute reminder tomorrow... please?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,047
[PVE]
Members
7,234 posts
23,080 battles
31 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Seconded.

Thirded.

...and Fourthed.

...& a fifth of your finest :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,047
[PVE]
Members
7,234 posts
23,080 battles
3 hours ago, Shannon_Lindsey said:

https://www.youtube.com/c/WorldWarTwo/videos Will be the channel, and it will begin at 11:10 am EST, although the real fiereworks will be starting at around 12:50 pm with the Arizona detonation at about 1:04 pm

TYVM :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
118
[7CR]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
429 posts
644 battles

I would support a moment of silence, or a 'review' of ships that participated on both sides of the operation; but I don't feel I can support a recreation of the deaths of the sailors aboard U.S.S. Arizona.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,391
[RLGN]
Members
15,136 posts
26,755 battles
11 hours ago, Shannon_Lindsey said:

https://www.youtube.com/c/WorldWarTwo/videos Will be the channel, and it will begin at 11:10 am EST, although the real fiereworks will be starting at around 12:50 pm with the Arizona detonation at about 1:04 pm

Shouldn't that be 10:10 Central? Nothing so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,391
[RLGN]
Members
15,136 posts
26,755 battles
33 minutes ago, Shannon_Lindsey said:

It's going now. I am already watching

Roger. Finally came up on the link.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,467
[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,680 posts
24,977 battles

They did a video a few days ago about how the Japanese government ran.  It's important IMO because of how contradictory the government, military were, especially if one assumed Emperor Hirohito called all the shots (he didn't).

 

Even in the military circles of the government, there was bitter rivalry, to the point of assassinations.  The video makes a passing mention of the military doing whatever it wanted despite what the goverment said.

Curse on This Country: The Rebellious Army of Imperial Japan

The Japanese Army initiated a lot of conflict with China without government approval.

The Japanese Army invaded Vichy French Vietnam without government approval.

Etc.

"Culture of Disobedience: Assassinations and Rebellions in the Imperial Japanese Army"

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,471
[REVY]
Members
8,138 posts
6,118 battles
1 minute ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

They did a video a few days ago about how the Japanese government ran.  It's important IMO because of how contradictory the government, military were, especially if one assumed Emperor Hirohito called all the shots (he didn't).

 

Even in the military circles of the government, there was bitter rivalry, to the point of assassinations.  The video makes a passing mention of the military doing whatever it wanted despite what the goverment said.

Curse on This Country: The Rebellious Army of Imperial Japan

The Japanese Army initiated a lot of conflict with China without government approval.

The Japanese Army invaded Vichy French Vietnam without government approval.

Etc.

I was surprised to learn that as recently as 1932, ultra-nationalists in Japan hoped to provoke a war with the United States by trying to assassinate Charlie Chaplin after they murdered their own Prime Minister.  It almost sounds like a comedy.

1200px-Charlie_Chaplin.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,467
[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,680 posts
24,977 battles
3 minutes ago, Sventex said:

I was surprised to learn that as recently as 1932, ultra-nationalists in Japan hoped to provoke a war with the United States by trying to assassinate Charlie Chaplin after they murdered their own Prime Minister.  It almost sounds like a comedy.

It was not long ago did I find out how out of hand things were in Japan.

 

Another weird thing leading to a stronger hold of the Imperial Japanese Army was that the Cabinet needed ministers from the Army.  They had to be Active Duty Generals.  If the Army didn't furnish those Generals, then the Cabinet was dissolved.  In past readings on events leading to war with the US in the late 1930s, this was a thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,467
[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,680 posts
24,977 battles

They've followed up with a video for events of the week of December 12, 1941.

This is a crucially important week of events as the Pearl Harbor attack set in motion war-critical events. 

 

The Japanese offensives run wild in the Pacific against pretty much everyone.  This period until the first few months of 1942 is the glory days of Imperial Japan's Pacific endeavors.

 

Gen MacArthur's awful handling and destruction of his powerful air force in the Philippines.  Missed opportunities and bungled actions.  Honestly, I am surprised MacArthur's career wasn't finished by his absolutely inept handling of the defense of the Philippines.  Many senior officers across history have lost their careers for far less idiocy.

 

King George V-class Battleship Prince of Wales is lost.  POW herself was brand spanking new, she was only commissioned on January that year and in December is sunk.  In the book, "Japanese Destroyer Captain," the author, Capt Hara Tameichi specifically mentions the immense surprise he felt on finding out a modern Battleship was sunk solely by airpower while out at sea.  He felt it should have been impossible, an eerie dream of sorts.

 

Nazi Germany's offensive for Moscow is done and the Soviets continue to push back hard.  Some dude by the name of Zhukov orchestrates a series of offensives and the Germans are sent reeling.

 

An important part of the video is the declarations of war taking place due to the Pearl Harbor attack as well as Japanese attacks elsewhere against other nations.  The video does a great job in covering this.  Germany was under no obligation to declare war on the USA with the Tripartite Pact.

 

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,471
[REVY]
Members
8,138 posts
6,118 battles
17 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Honestly, I am surprised MacArthur's career wasn't finished by his absolutely inept handling of the defense of the Philippines.  Many senior officers across history have lost their careers for far less idiocy.

Frankly MacArthur was political poison, I'm surprised FDR didn't sack him for committing Major Patton to a tank assault on the Bonus Army in Washington D.C. in 1932.

dc5fa5dc-6739-417a-8a9b-1bfea570081d-ban

Screen-Shot-2020-07-25-at-10.10.53-1.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,467
[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,680 posts
24,977 battles

More of the aftermath of the Pearl Harbor strike and the declarations of war being done.  The US & UK hash out a system that controls and coordinates the military power of the Western Allies.

 

The Axis never did have anything like this, nor did they even have a desire.  The Allies had a common set of objectives and unified command, the Axis were just a couple random dudes with membership in a club.  This would also eventually lead to working with the USSR to the point of coordinated campaigns.  The Axis waged war with no real coordination with objectives running contrary to what the other members wanted.

 

The Axis never had a chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,471
[REVY]
Members
8,138 posts
6,118 battles
2 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

The Axis never did have anything like this, nor did they even have a desire.  The Allies had a common set of objectives and unified command, the Axis were just a couple random dudes with membership in a club.  This would also eventually lead to working with the USSR to the point of coordinated campaigns.  The Axis waged war with no real coordination with objectives running contrary to what the other members wanted.

 

The Axis never had a chance.

The Germans had a decentralized command structure even in WWI.  This gave them spectature victories against the Russians in the opening weeks of the war as German commanders took the initiative, this came at the dire cost of grand strategy as the Germans desperately wanted every resource committed to the Western Front first to knock France out of the war, but all German commanders on the ground could see what was right in front of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,467
[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,680 posts
24,977 battles

These guys doing these videos are great.

z-1.jpgshot-20-12-14-13-20-17-0388.jpg

 

Their last video for the Pearl Harbor attack dived into just how the situation came to be.  In particular was this part on the Japanese side where Prime Minister Konoe still strove to prevent war with the US.  But what turned out was so dirty that I felt filthy after hearing of it in the video, and then even worse when reading about it in other sources to confirm.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,467
[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,680 posts
24,977 battles

They now do an episode on the Kido Butai:

The man in the preview above is Minoru Genda.

"If the carriers want to slack off," Genda jokes, "they can join the battleships.  The Japanese carrier fleet works 8 days a week!"

 

9 years after the end of WWII, Genda would join the Japanese Air Self Defense Forces and would eventually retire as a General.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×