Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
sulghunter331

On Over-Penning the Fragile Bits

Overpens Through Citadels  

10 members have voted

1. 1. If an AP shell were to over penetrate a citadel, do you think it should do more damage than a normal over-penetration, and if so, how much?

• Yes, it should do more damage. (Post in the thread on the amount)
    • No, it should not do more damage.

3 comments in this topic

[-ARM-]
Beta Testers
1,009 posts
11,517 battles

Just a question that I wanted to pose before all and sundry. A thought that had been stewing in my head for some time, it seemed odd that an armor piercing shell passing through a space containing vital machinery such as engines, boilers, and steam piping would do the same amount of damage as the same shell passing through other areas of the ship, such as the bow or super-structure.

I understand that over-pens only do a little damage because they simply passed through the ship before detonating. However, it really begs the question on how a hardened metal object, weighing in just shy of a small car, passing through a tightly packed space full of critical and generally vulnerable machinery at a disturbed velocity, rates the same amount of damage to the target ship as if that object were to travel through the crews mess in the same manner. Other than the hit to crew's moral if the ice cream machine were to be given a new foot-wide hole, I'd imagine an AP shell going straight through a citadel space would cause far more problems to the ship. I have personally seen engine rooms aboard warships, and there is a distinct scarcity of open, straight-line areas through which an object could move through without impacting something important.

Recognizing that the shell did indeed NOT detonate inside the citadel, the over-pen should not rate its full damage. I would suggest the same damage as a penetrating hit in a non-vital area (33%), hopefully such a solution would be relatively simple to code.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,382 posts
13,080 battles

Probably count it as a normal pen, so 33% damage.

An AP round going through thin plates is going to punch a relatively clean hole, and the only things that are in any real danger is whatevers in the actual path of a shell.

An AP round going through something constituting actual armor is going to throw fragments and spalling everywhere behind the plate on the way through, regardless of the shell actually detonating before it has gone out the other side.

[A-I-M]
Members
3,746 posts
23,914 battles

Yes in reality, no in game terms. HARD cruiser nerf. 

Sign in to follow this