You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
BearlyHereBear

Who is General Quarters and why is he so famous?

26 comments in this topic

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead, Privateers
16,803 posts
4,790 battles

General Quarters is a naval miniatures game played at scale, so often works best in a gymnasium. 

I'm not being creative here, it's a thing. I still have the rule book somewhere.

Edited by iDuckman
  • Cool 3
  • Funny 1

[REVY]
Members
8,523 posts
6,118 battles
7 minutes ago, BearlyHereBear said:

Give your most creative answer.

He was a General of Ivan the Terrible black militia, the Oprichniki, so named for his methods of quartering the Czar's enemies.

cdfe61f7388646263ac5c464ae2c585a.jpg

Edited by Sventex

[GOB]
Members
3,183 posts

Isn't he the Cousin of Private Parts?

Didn't he get Divorced from his wife Major Paine?

His met his new wife at the O club,  Major Slu----    

I had better stop before I get the Ban Hammer:Smile_hiding:

• Funny 1
  • Haha 1

[VOP]
Members
1,087 posts
13 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

General Quarters is a naval miniatures game played at scale, so often works best in a gymnasium. 

I'm not being creative here, it's a thing.

Used to play that along with Seekrieg.

[-RNG-]
Supertester
3,235 posts
6,415 battles

General Quarters was once Admiral Quarters, but he left the navy because there was no vending machines on the ships. 

Members
406 posts
26 battles
20 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

I'm not being creative here, it's a thing.

*Looks it up*

Wow! 
My main takeaway with many RPGs and Wargames designed in the 70's and 80's is that abstraction was considered a sign of weakness.

[HINON]
Members
14,340 posts

General Quarters is the nickname given to the creepy dude who hangs out at the mall on the second level. Periodically he yells, "Charge!" before flinging quarters at unlucky individuals in the food court below. He's promptly kicked out of the mall but returns the next day to do it all again.

• Haha 1

[SLDS]
Members
146 posts
8,812 battles
25 minutes ago, BearlyHereBear said:

General “Quarters” is just a nickname for the general who became famous for stuffing his artillery full of quarters to create a massive shotgun mortar effect when they fired, thus winning the infamous battle of Quartar by raining down high speed quarters to mow down a quarter of the entire opposing infantry force in the first shot of the most decisive battle of WW1/4.

[BSL]
Members
1,232 posts
21,924 battles
16 minutes ago, Swervenkill said:

You see, Nick El and Penny Ante had a baby...

But had no money so they had it on a dime.

• Haha 1

[WORX]
Members
14,794 posts
21,241 battles

According to the Treasury Dept. The term "General Quarters" refers to actual quarters minted for high level military personal (hence the term General Quarters).

The law provisions for this was enacted with the ninja passing of the Federal Reserve act of 1913.

Once passed, these quarters were minted in Federal mints offices close to the area of military operation.

That is way we go full steam ahead in the game when you hear General Quarters... Those quarters have value.

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Cool 1

Members
1,035 posts
4,341 battles

I don't know about General Quarters.  But what has me curious is what did Commander Skills do recently that's made everyone so upset?

• Funny 1

[GOB]
Members
3,183 posts
24 minutes ago, surratus said:

I don't know about General Quarters.  But what has me curious is what did Commander Skills do recently that's made everyone so upset?

images.jpg

• Sad 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,515 posts
15,041 battles
2 hours ago, iDuckman said:

I'm not being creative here, it's a thing. I still have the rule book somewhere.

The real play in a gym game is Clear for Action.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/38503/clear-action

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,203 posts
2 hours ago, BearlyHereBear said:

General Quarters is the nephew of Admiral Dollars. They both hail from the Mint family. 

• Haha 1

Members
128 posts
10 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

General Quarters is the nephew of Admiral Dollars. They both hail from the Mint family. 

That's amazing! I heard he was also the senpai of Private Parts.

[WOLF8]
Members
777 posts
9,898 battles

I believe his only claim to fame is the fact that he is distantly related to (the original) Captain Crunch.

[WOLFC]
Members
175 posts
13,249 battles

Pretty sure General Quarters is related Colonel Angus. If you want to know who Colonel Angus is, google it with Saturday NIght Live sketch.

edit to add that Colonel Angus is from the south and most have a heavy drawl when pronouncing his name....

Edited by puckhead77

[ALLY]
Members
459 posts
22,768 battles

To all:

General Quarters has nothing to do with money at all.  He is in charge of all the Billeting and Barracks in the Military (Housing Quarters).  His assistant Sargent Styles is responsible for designing all the uniforms.  If you cross him (General Quarters) you will be in the brig commanded by Major Hazard!  If you need further discipline you will be sent to Major Payne!

C130 signing out

PS, I actually served with Major Hazard at the 52nd Squadron Chanute AFB in 1984.  Nice person if you did not cross him.  I have never met General Quarters.

• Funny 1

[-TRM-]
Members
4,575 posts

Well, Captain Chesapeake (Fox 45 Baltimore 60's era television) found General Quarters hard up on the dock by the bay. Since he was only a captain he needed Charlie the Tuna to round up some meals and a place to stay for a quarter. The General rank was in some dispute with the local Coast Guard Command but after some consultation with the fort fumble (Pentagon) they all agreed that due to budget sequestration someone screwed up and made a quarter General with just one star instead of a full General with Four. (Quarter the pay etc)

I think they still are arguing what to do with this General Quarters to this day. A suggestion was made to quietly retire the General due to the prevalence of Crabs locally.

My suspection is that he can be found at the old two o'clock club on the waterfront drinking quarters while passing the time waiting on the decision making to resolve itself. =)

Edited by xHeavy

Members
2,378 posts
34,890 battles
5 hours ago, RipNuN2 said:

General Quarters is the nickname given to the creepy dude who hangs out at the mall on the second level. Periodically he yells, "Charge!" before flinging quarters at unlucky individuals in the food court below. He's promptly kicked out of the mall but returns the next day to do it all again.

So does that make him in charge of the Ballroom Blitz?