Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
LunchCutter

Has the Pensacola been forgotten?

14 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
1,210 posts
3,527 battles

 This ship once used to be a very capable and powerful cruiser. Now it feels forgotten... Just a free $/XP generator for the enemy. 

It really sucks in the following departments.

  • Battleship detectability (despite been 2 feet wide)
  • Tier 6 Battleship turret rotation speed, extremely hard to duel with DD's at close range.
  • Seems to be citadeled no matter where it gets hit
  • HE shells rarely start fires (last game, 36 hits, zero fires) Every HE hit Pepsi ate started a fire though..
  • AA feels largely ineffective against tier 8 CV's, 2-3 years ago the Pepsi was a no fly zone.

It just feels like a forgotten ship. It felt so much better at tier 7 before they nerfed and dropped it to tier 6.  In a tier 5 game it can do well but most of the time its thrown in to tier 8 games.

It really needs a concealment buff and a turret buff. The only good thing about this boat is its powerful AP rounds, yet most of the time they are only effective against low tier BB's (a rare site) or other heavy cruisers.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,005
[FML]
Members
4,323 posts
16,682 battles
18 minutes ago, LunchCutter said:

 This ship once used to be a very capable and powerful cruiser.

Not really, no.  It was regularly panned at T7 and there were many forum threads recommending/demanding that she be buffed.  

Was she able to deal terrifying damage in the right hands against certain enemy ships in certain circumstances? Yes.  But that does not make her capable and powerful.  

18 minutes ago, LunchCutter said:

Now it feels forgotten... Just a free $/XP generator for the enemy. 

It really sucks in the following departments.

  • Battleship detectability (despite been 2 feet wide)
  • Tier 6 Battleship turret rotation speed, extremely hard to duel with DD's at close range.
  • Seems to be citadeled no matter where it gets hit
  • HE shells rarely start fires (last game, 36 hits, zero fires) Every HE hit Pepsi ate started a fire though..

This is all pretty normal for her T6 cruiser counterparts - they either have some or all of these, or other glaring vulnerabilities.  Still, on balance, I agree that the cola could use some quality of life buffs like in gun handling for instance.  

18 minutes ago, LunchCutter said:
  • AA feels largely ineffective against tier 8 CV's, 2-3 years ago the Pepsi was a no fly zone.

Lol no way was she ever a no fly zone.  Nor is any ship currently able to defeat CVs two tiers higher to make a no fly zone.  Best they can do (like Halland) is be a serious deterrant, but the carrier can always get through assuming equal skill and determination.  

18 minutes ago, LunchCutter said:

It just feels like a forgotten ship. It felt so much better at tier 7 before they nerfed and dropped it to tier 6.  In a tier 5 game it can do well but most of the time its thrown in to tier 8 games.

It really needs a concealment buff and a turret buff. The only good thing about this boat is its powerful AP rounds, yet most of the time they are only effective against low tier BB's (a rare site) or other heavy cruisers.

Well, when it was T7 it would be thrown into T9 battles - of which, there are a lot more now that T7 isnt really in an ideal MM space and there are a lot more very deadly T9 ships around now (like the superheavy cruisers, Georgia, Musashi, etc etc).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,142
[WPORT]
Members
20,735 posts
22,656 battles
52 minutes ago, LunchCutter said:

 This ship once used to be a very capable and powerful cruiser. Now it feels forgotten... Just a free $/XP generator for the enemy. 

It really sucks in the following departments.

  • Battleship detectability (despite been 2 feet wide)
  • Tier 6 Battleship turret rotation speed, extremely hard to duel with DD's at close range.
  • Seems to be citadeled no matter where it gets hit
  • HE shells rarely start fires (last game, 36 hits, zero fires) Every HE hit Pepsi ate started a fire though..
  • AA feels largely ineffective against tier 8 CV's, 2-3 years ago the Pepsi was a no fly zone.

It just feels like a forgotten ship. It felt so much better at tier 7 before they nerfed and dropped it to tier 6.  In a tier 5 game it can do well but most of the time its thrown in to tier 8 games.

It really needs a concealment buff and a turret buff. The only good thing about this boat is its powerful AP rounds, yet most of the time they are only effective against low tier BB's (a rare site) or other heavy cruisers.

Pensacola has "heavy cruiser" guns with a "light cruiser" armor scheme.
The slow turret rotation adds to the 'challenge' of playing the "Pepsi-cola" decently.

While not entirely forgotten, Pensacola is a ship I've seen more often as an opponent Captained by a 'Bot than as a ship I've played.  (I've only recently welcomed Pensacola to my Port, within the past month or so.)

There have been plenty of times I'd wished the Pensacola and the Dallas were equipped with torpedoes.  
At least they have Hydro-Acoustic Search as a Consumable.

shot-20_12_06_07_06.51-0347.thumb.jpg.a8accf24b164abad47c41179566cc279.jpg
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,361
[FOXY]
Members
4,717 posts
8,947 battles
24 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Pensacola has "heavy cruiser" guns with a "light cruiser" armor scheme.
The slow turret rotation adds to the 'challenge' of playing the "Pepsi-cola" decently.

While not entirely forgotten, Pensacola is a ship I've seen more often as an opponent Captained by a 'Bot than as a ship I've played.  (I've only recently welcomed Pensacola to my Port, within the past month or so.)

There have been plenty of times I'd wished the Pensacola and the Dallas were equipped with torpedoes.  
At least they have Hydro-Acoustic Search as a Consumable.

shot-20_12_06_07_06.51-0347.thumb.jpg.a8accf24b164abad47c41179566cc279.jpg
 

Frankly compared to the other tier 6 cruisers ive played the Cola is one that i regret buying a perma camo for. Its just bad compared to other ships at that tier. Doubt it will see buffs though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,999
[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,205 posts

Long ago I gave a motto to the Pensacola, or Pensa as I call her: 

"First to battle, first to die." 

In this game  - with no intent to dis the RL Pensacola, her history or her crew - but in this game Pensa always seemed to m to be the very first cruiser I'd seen at the start of a match. She would also seem to be the first cruiser sunk. She was like that one player on the team who was so excited to be playing the game that she would forget how to play the game. You know? 

We could build one heckuva list up of ships that need reviewed/adjusted for power creep, to be sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,332
[4HIM]
Members
3,710 posts
22,131 battles

After grinding though that thing before the split, I've done my best to try and forget it. It's still in port for snowflakes.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,201
[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,973 posts
13,731 battles
2 hours ago, LunchCutter said:

 This ship once used to be a very capable and powerful cruiser. Now it feels forgotten... Just a free $/XP generator for the enemy. 

It really sucks in the following departments.

  • Battleship detectability (despite been 2 feet wide)
  • Tier 6 Battleship turret rotation speed, extremely hard to duel with DD's at close range.
  • Seems to be citadeled no matter where it gets hit
  • HE shells rarely start fires (last game, 36 hits, zero fires) Every HE hit Pepsi ate started a fire though..
  • AA feels largely ineffective against tier 8 CV's, 2-3 years ago the Pepsi was a no fly zone.

It just feels like a forgotten ship. It felt so much better at tier 7 before they nerfed and dropped it to tier 6.  In a tier 5 game it can do well but most of the time its thrown in to tier 8 games.

It really needs a concealment buff and a turret buff. The only good thing about this boat is its powerful AP rounds, yet most of the time they are only effective against low tier BB's (a rare site) or other heavy cruisers.

All of that is compensation for bringing 10x 8" guns to to a tier 6 match and having good AP rounds.

Her AA was never a no fly zone, back when she was tier 7, she was a letdown from the Cleveland as she basically sacrificed everything that made the Cleveland good to bring 8" guns to the table. Pensacola is really about a tier 6.5 ship. Now that she's down at tier 6, she's actually pretty good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,142
[WPORT]
Members
20,735 posts
22,656 battles
1 hour ago, Princess_Daystar said:

Frankly compared to the other tier 6 cruisers ive played the Cola is one that i regret buying a perma camo for. Its just bad compared to other ships at that tier. Doubt it will see buffs though.

I think Pensacola is okay at Tier-6.
I have several other cruisers with long reload times, so I suppose for me it is not as unusual.  

Like many other cruisers, Pensacola gets sent to "BLAP!-central" quite often.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,361
[FOXY]
Members
4,717 posts
8,947 battles
2 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

I think Pensacola is okay at Tier-6.
I have several other cruisers with long reload times, so I suppose for me it is not as unusual.  

Like many other cruisers, Pensacola gets sent to "BLAP!-central" quite often.

i dont mind long reloads either, its everything else that makes me dislike it. I get trade offs, but id rather take a london than the cola.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,428 posts
38,376 battles
5 hours ago, LunchCutter said:

This ship once used to be a very capable and powerful cruiser.

I really enjoyed playing it occasionally when it was at T7 after it's buffs.  Especially after the last concealment buff.  Then came the nerf massacre and relegating it to T 6. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,039
Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles
5 hours ago, UltimateNewbie said:

 It was regularly panned at T7 and there were many forum threads recommending/demanding that she be buffed. 

And then they reduced the concealment, and sped up the traverse, and it became a pretty decent ship.

And then they moved it to T6, and instead of finding a nice middle ground, they simply reverted the buffs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,210 posts
3,527 battles

At least give her a concealment buff. With captain concealment expert and Camo it's still around 12k which is a bit harsh. Primarily Been a support ships and DD hunter it's not much fun when the enemy spots you before they spot the North Carolina sitting next to you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
591 posts
5,040 battles

DolphinPrincess, I think that's the name, will make a case that Pensacola is OP - and will back that claim up. I've seen it in previous threads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
410 posts
26 battles

I think the Pepsicola is far happier at tier 6 than it was at tier 7.

Someone who's a far better player mildly chewed me out for my praise of Molotov on the EU forums by arguing that Pepsicola can pretty much do everything the Molotov can do with only a slight decrease in shell flight time.

This might well be true, but I do love my Molotov. Until I need to turn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×