Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

Vermont vs Massachusetts -- Who Will Win?

27 comments in this topic

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,714 posts

Do you even have to ask?

image.thumb.png.879d75392d1fce9b62407af5738ba7cf.png

The Vermont is amazingly easy to citadel from short brawling distance.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 1
  • Haha 2
  • Boring 2

[WPORT]
Members
7,116 posts
12,107 battles

Big Mamie still being awesome.  Well played.  :-)

[WOLF9]
Members
985 posts
21,645 battles

Not surprised.  When I first saw this topic I thought:  If Vermont landed a bunch of shells at once, the Mass would go the way of the Hood.  Otherwise, the Mass would win almost every time.

Congrats OP.

[WOLF5]
Members
1,307 posts
10,102 battles

I have not yet seen a Vermont in battle (seriously) but this morning in a PVE battle in my Mass I noted how easy it was to damage the Minnesota during a brawl.

[FOXY]
Members
1,211 posts
5,765 battles
46 minutes ago, DJC_499 said:

I have not yet seen a Vermont in battle (seriously) but this morning in a PVE battle in my Mass I noted how easy it was to damage the Minnesota during a brawl.

Ive seen 7 so far, and each time theyve either been sunk at long range by cruisers(OMG THE FIRE), Torpedoed by DDs, or focused by the entire team. The one time i managed to brawl against one i citadeled it to death in my Thunderer. Catching it in between reloads was cruel i know, they just dont seem that good to me, and im glad i didnt spam grind the Minnie to get it on launch day.

[CDOH]
Members
644 posts
7,660 battles

I have no idea how a Massa could get in brawling distance to a Vermont.  Assuming the Vermont could see the massa Coming the Vermont should win everytime.  None the less, Nice job. 

Edited by Rothgar_57
  • Boring 1

Members
2,357 posts
32,755 battles
3 hours ago, Rothgar_57 said:

I have no idea how a Massa could get in brawling distance to a Vermont.

Well... 

Vermont has max speed of 23 knots vs Mass at 28 knots or whatever it is

Mass is way more maneuverable

The biggie is the 30 sec reload vs the 40 sec reload.

And Mass awesome 2ndaries with Halsey 

I'll certainly agree that Mass can have a very bad day against most T 10 BB's and against many T 9's - but not against any of the slow boat US BB's.

Of course, It's just occurred to me that you may be joking?

Edited by slokill_1

[FOXEH]
Members
1,944 posts
12,764 battles
17 minutes ago, slokill_1 said:

Well... 

Vermont has max speed of 23 knots vs Mass at 28 knots or whatever it is

Mass is way more maneuverable

The biggie is the 30 sec reload vs the 40 sec reload.

And Mass awesome 2ndaries with Halsey 

I'll certainly agree that Mass can have a very bad day against most T 10 BB's and against many T 9's - but not against any of the slow boat US BB's.

Of course, It's just occurred to me that you may be joking?

Serious question, what does Halsey bring to the MASS secondaries?  

Members
171 posts
5,750 battles

Vermont was designed to be a mid-long range ship, Mass a short-mid range brawler. If you get the Mass close, then of course it will win. At mid-long range the Vermont will eat it alive, no question. This is like saying that a gearing eats kleber because it was able to land some torps. Sure it works every once and a while, but in most cases the player will play their ships to their advantages, in which case the kleber beats the Gearing.

Members
2,357 posts
32,755 battles
10 hours ago, comtedumas said:

Traverse speed of 2ndaries I guess.

[CLUMP]
Members
1,178 posts
1,472 battles

Yuro pretty much sums it up in a video of California that ships of this type will be like this :Smile_teethhappy:

[UNC]
Members
852 posts
6,196 battles

Vermont should never have let the Mass get that close.  Even given the speed difference in a stern chase its still going to take the Mass some time to catch up to Vermont, and those 457s will still hurt Mass pretty significantly even in a straight face punch.  If the Vermont gets caught out of position or you manage to sneak up on it, well... game over. 

[INTEL]
Members
13,459 posts
37,697 battles

Well, no intention of playing Vermont, but this is good to know.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
8,423 posts
12,307 battles

what we dont see here is the possible big damage the OP took from those 12 18" guns at those distances if the fight was 1 on 1 in his Mass vs the Vermont, sure, you can beat the Vermont in a one on one, but those 18" guns are gonna make you pay for it in a decent chunk of your HP

Edited by tcbaker777

[WOLFC]
Members
2,166 posts
10,528 battles
13 hours ago, comtedumas said:

Nothing. “Hit Hard!” only decreases the reload time of main armaments when it activates (when you earn the Confederate achievement).

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,748 posts
25,011 battles
23 hours ago, DJC_499 said:

The USN Split BBs are massive:

Massive Superstructure.

Massive Hulls.

Just lots of places to hit.

A fun thing with Minnesota is there are shot traps on her hull for your AP shells to arm in.  Check it in Port, it's actually pretty funny!

It was also fun watching Flamu play Vermont and he was getting pen'ed on the hull by other BBs at angles where you should be able to bounce them.  But that's what happens when your hull is so round, I guess.  You can't angle if the hull is basically round.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[-ARP-]
[-ARP-]
Members
1,287 posts
19,916 battles

Vermont needs a lot of map awareness, something most players don't think about. 

I'm pretty sure it could just break your front guns with all that AP, if it targeted them. 

[-TKS-]
Members
1,268 posts
9,880 battles

The American Standard BB split requires two things: map awareness and your side of the map to be semi-competent. If both of these goals are achieved, Minnesota on up can provide massive damage potential.

[WPORT]
Members
7,116 posts
12,107 battles
19 hours ago, comtedumas said:

Halsey.png
William Halsey

Legendary Commander

The Story of Admiral Halsey

Wikipedia
Talent_icon_support.png The Hit Hard! talent activates on earning the Confederate achievement. The ship under Halsey's command receives the following bonuses:
  • -20% to the main battery reload time.
  • -20% to plane service time.
  • -10% to torpedo reload time.
Awarded upon completion of the
"Hit Hard! Hit Fast! Hit Often" campaign.
Talent_icon_double_kill.png The Hit Fast! talent activates after receiving the Double Strike achievement with William Halsey. The ship under Halsey's command gets -10% to base detection radius, which can accumulate if a player receives the achievement multiple times during a battle.
icon_ExpertMarksman_dark.png Master Marksman replaces Expert Marksman. Improves main battery turret rotation:
  • +3.0°/sec for guns of caliber up to 139 mm (normally +2.5°/sec)
  • +1.0°/sec for guns of caliber >139 mm
    (normally +0.7°/sec).
icon_ExpertLoader_dark.png Rapid Loader replaces Expert Loader, and reduces reload time when switching shell types -75% (normally -50%).
Reward_unlock_tracer_inactive.png Reward_unlock_banner_inactive.pngReward_unlock_firework_inactive.png Personalizations
Colored Shell Tracers, Broad Pennant, Fireworks

[PVE]
Members
12,867 posts
26,878 battles
On 12/6/2020 at 6:44 AM, kyesac said:

Not surprised.  When I first saw this topic I thought:  If Vermont landed a bunch of shells at once, the Mass would go the way of the Hood.  Otherwise, the Mass would win almost every time.

This.

Mass is faster by a considerable margin so it can stay at optimum range for it's superior secondary armament; hammering VT with them while it's secondary guns can't reach back. It has a faster ROF for the main guns which while smaller than VT's are still powerful. It has good enough armor to take the hammering of the 457MM's if the player knows how to angle. VT may have the HP advantage but Mass can chunk and burn it down + Mass has the faster reloading heal if it does take a big hit to get some HP back quicker.

VT is not a 1V1 ship when it's human vs human. Unless the Mass player screws up they should always win.

Now if the fight is long range artillery strikes VT will win.

[NONE]
Members
3,757 posts
On 12/6/2020 at 5:17 AM, Snargfargle said:

Do you even have to ask?

image.thumb.png.879d75392d1fce9b62407af5738ba7cf.png

The Vermont is amazingly easy to citadel from short brawling distance.

Can confirm. I took one's lunch money this morning.

• Funny 1

[ARGSY]
Members
22,246 posts
16,226 battles
24 minutes ago, Usedcarjock said:

The American Standard BB split requires two things: map awareness and your side of the map to be semi-competent.

Fixed that for you.

Don't get me wrong, I love my US standards (even the Oklahoma is growing on me). The Colorado regrind, completely unnecessary though that turned out to be, was great fun. But what applies to the Tier 8-10 in this line applies also to ALL their predecessors (including the Premiums), right down to the South Carolina.

Sign in to follow this