You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Steel_Calvary

amost got my million free xp. What premo should I get.

27 comments in this topic

Members
22 posts
2,060 battles

Almost got my million free xp.  What premo should I get?  The natural choice is the Alaska.  But does anyone have an alternative I should consider and why?

[VORTX]
Members
469 posts
6,805 battles
19 minutes ago, Steel_Calvary said:

Almost got my million free xp.  What premo should I get?  The natural choice is the Alaska.  But does anyone have an alternative I should consider and why?

Alaska was the only choice for me. Rodney was the second choice. Beyond those two, I have no interest in the German or Japanese super cruisers. Alaska is a very fun boat.

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
4,089 posts
11,792 battles

I just the got Alaska B I only played one game in her it was really fun and I won . So I put her back in port so I can look at the 100% win rate for a while . In all seriousness why not keep saving if your not sure maybe something you really want will come up . If they say the Alaska is leaving then get it other wise wait and see maybe . Oh shoot she is leaving get her .

Edited by clammboy

[REVY]
Members
8,143 posts
6,118 battles
29 minutes ago, Steel_Calvary said:

One of the most important factors is that USS Alaska was a real ship.

CLyZch2.jpg

Edited by Sventex

[SIM]
Members
5,587 posts
9,012 battles

Alaska. Don’t saddle yourself with unnecessary regret by passing her up. She’s a damn fine ship. 

Members
474 posts
10,037 battles
Just now, Sventex said:

One of the most important factors is that USS Alaska was a real ship.

Alaska-Class-Cruisers.jpg

And the USN CA AP shells are phenomenal, taking chunks of HP from battleships with ease from time to time.

[ANZ4C]
Members
209 posts
7,411 battles

Alaska. Even if it wasn't going away next patch, I'd still recommend over the rest. Alaska 1st, then pick up the Agir with the next million.

[POP]
Members
4,748 posts
12,813 battles

Alaska, especially since it's leaving in a few months (10.1, not next month or next patch like people keep saying in these kinds of threads). And if Alaska wasn't leaving, still Alaska. Then either Friesland if you want a really fun gunboat DD or Agir if you want a more balanced Alaska with torps. Or if you're open to spending your fxp on any ship, I'd probably put fxp reset the Harugumo line and get Siegfried over spending fxp on Agir.

[RLGN]
Members
15,152 posts
26,789 battles
11 minutes ago, cthuhulu said:

Captain skills rework might influence your decision for the alaska.

(Not specifically referring to the OP.)

If someone is a mIn/max player perhaps; otherwise not so much.

I would expect casual players just want a ship to work. I doubt they care much about equipping/skilling a ship to the nth degree like some do.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

Members
316 posts
25 battles
20 minutes ago, Singularity_invader said:

Are we just going to ignore the arsonist Azuma? :Smile_glasses:

Yes.

Another vote for the Alaska, gracefully departing stage left.

Alaska, even with loss of Fire Prevention with the rework proposal, I think it's still pretty good.

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,139 posts
4,766 battles

Alaska.

Unless you can earn another 1M before the end of Jan.  Then, Smaland.

Edited by iDuckman
  • Boring 1

Members
474 posts
10,037 battles
24 minutes ago, SoothingWhaleSongEU said:

Yes.

Another vote for the Alaska, gracefully departing stage left.

Alaska, even with loss of Fire Prevention with the rework proposal, I think it's still pretty good.

I thought we were talking about which ship to get after Alaska.

Azuma vs. Agir, what do you think?

[X-M-S]
Members
126 posts
3,084 battles
1 hour ago, Steel_Calvary said:

Great question because I will soon hit 1 million free xp too.  I've been mulling it over, and haven't made a final decision yet (probably be another week or two until I hit 1 million), but I'll probably get Alaska since she's leaving soon and everyone says she's a ship worth having.

My hesitation has been because:

1. It takes a while to get 1 million.  The hoarder part of me is a little worried about going back to not having any.
  2. As a newish player, I've missed lots of good ships before I started playing, so I'm sure I'll be ok if I miss one more (conversely, I've already missed a lot of good ships so it would be nice to not miss another).  If it will set me up better in the long run, it might be worth missing out on one more ship.
  3. I've gotten my best captain over 18 points recently.  With this FXP, I will be able to get him to 21 points when the skill rework happens (though we aren't sure how much that will cost).  That could accelerate getting my other captains trained.
  4. I need trainers in other nations more than I need one in US.  

[PHD]
Members
244 posts
7,489 battles
47 minutes ago, Singularity_invader said:

I thought we were talking about which ship to get after Alaska.

Azuma vs. Agir, what do you think?

Agir, because it has torpedoes and better armor.

Beta Testers
968 posts
4,164 battles
2 hours ago, Singularity_invader said:

Are we just going to ignore the arsonist Azuma? :Smile_glasses:

Same ship but better is available for coal.

2 hours ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

Alaska, especially since it's leaving in a few months (10.1, not next month or next patch like people keep saying in these kinds of threads). And if Alaska wasn't leaving, still Alaska. Then either Friesland if you want a really fun gunboat DD or Agir if you want a more balanced Alaska with torps. Or if you're open to spending your fxp on any ship, I'd probably put fxp reset the Harugumo line and get Siegfried over spending fxp on Agir. 

Yeah Siegfried costs ~ 1.3m FXP once you've completed the Haragumo line. Initial Research Points + 2 bonus resets or 1 bonus, 1 normal and 1 grind (its a fast line). As I snagged Alaska already, that's next.

It can more or less be done for a million if you're not straight FXP'ing the line.

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
1,737 posts
5,389 battles

I have a few million unconverted XP on hand. Once the cash is paid the original alaska can be bought for a measly million xp no problem. Even though I own the Alaska B from a crate now. When you get into the two million ships territory its pretty pricey and a bit much for what they are.

XP does not always go to ships. I am working on building 19 point commanders and their ships as well as the future 19 to 21's for a few of existing 19'ers. When you have a commander at 19, his elite XP goes along with your free xp to faster take care of training other commanders.

Alaska is one of those ships worth getting. Its a wonderful little ship in battle. Although when you show up with one, you have to accept that everyone on red team in range will drop what they are doing and try to delete you. So expect alot of incoming for your fun.

One final thought. I think WG realized that maybe alaska is good to the point that everyone will have one and we will have all Alaska matches someday. Why not? I had a match not long ago where four Monarchs were present. That was quite a bit of heavy iron. The four human players had some trouble sinking them all in coop.

Edited by xHeavy

[ANKER]
Members
1,403 posts
11,409 battles
4 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

(Not specifically referring to the OP.)

If someone is a mIn/max player perhaps; otherwise not so much.

I would expect casual players just want a ship to work. I doubt they care much about equipping/skilling a ship to the nth degree like some do.

Actually it matters quite a bit for everybody.

On another account I got Black from a container only have the 10 point captain on it....wasn't sure between concealment and FP but picked concealment.....and man O man do I get set on fire 🔥 a lot.

If you get stuck in a one on one situation with something (and a decent captain) that has good spam capability like Nevsky, Goliath, DM, Hindy, etc ..... Without FP you better disengage.  You will have 2 and 3 perma fires before you know it.

Unfortunately, this will become yet another reason for players to hide in the back and not want to push forward 

Anyway, to answer the op, what kinds of ships do you normally like to play?

Alaska (currently) plays like a light BB.

If you like DDs, Friesland is a super fun boat....(but does have a sorta high skill floor)

Edited by YouSatInGum

[RLGN]
Members
15,152 posts
26,789 battles
2 hours ago, YouSatInGum said:

Actually it matters quite a bit for everybody.

I don’t disagree, in basic, with what you’re saying; but ‘it matters,’ and through ignorance or indifference, a player ‘not caring,’ are two different things.

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
732 posts
6,016 battles
9 hours ago, Steel_Calvary said:

If you aren't sure what premium you should get I'd say don't get anything. Hold off until something crops up that you absolutely, positively couldn't live without. I've already been burned by buying a ship using resources just because I had them, then didn't have the resources avail when the next OP warship hit.

I've got a dock full of premium ships I've earned through missions and events that I'll never play. I'd trade them all for something I'd actually use...

[SLDS]
Beta Testers
5 posts
1,550 battles

I'm with everybody else in saying Alaska, the timing of you getting to 1 million free XP is just too good not to get one.  It's one of the best cruisers in the game and probably always will be, plus they're about to remove it soon.

[BB_B]
Members
77 posts
977 battles

I had the same dilemma until I pulled an Alaska B from a container.  But, I was determined to get the Alaska first and foremost.  The "B" is fine with me.  I currently have almost 1.5 million free XP and right now, I may hold off and concentrate on the other departing ships.