You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
CaptainTeddybear

Makarovians, Lend me your ears

14 comments in this topic

[EGO]
Banned
4,105 posts

Is the problem the short list or what is on the short list?

While I agree the wording is deceptive I think the bigger problem is what is on the short list. Not only is the Makarov a POS but it literally is a ship from the tech tree.

If Graf Spee, Arizona and T-61 were on the short list some people might whine a little at the deception but it would be vastly outweighed by getting good ships.

i’m not sure who thought people would be happy getting a Makarov, maybe they need re-education?

[SIM]
Members
5,587 posts
9,012 battles

People fishing for Enterprise, Missouri, or Kutuzov would be no happier with T-61 than they are Orkan. It’s not what’s on the short list, it’s that the short list exists at all. Or if not the existence of the list itself, the fact that WG hasn’t disclosed “Hey, these boxes are probably going drop these # ships before any others” to their customers. 

• Cool 1

[CLUMP]
Members
1,181 posts
1,485 battles

Remember no Makarov :Smile_teethhappy: I am sure whoever played call of duty 2 will get this :Smile_popcorn:

• Cool 2

[RLGN]
Members
15,163 posts
26,804 battles

Well, I already have Makarov. I like it, Nurnburg, and Konigsburg for exactly what they are; cruisers with tail-heavy main batteries. Squish or no squish.

Guess I’m better at running away than the complainers, or just don’t care about having some stupendous/OP/flashy shiny ship.

• Cool 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,479 posts
14,823 battles
1 minute ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Well, I already have Makarov. I like it, Nurnburg, and Konigsburg for exactly what they are; cruisers with tail-heavy main batteries. Squish or no squish.

Guess I’m better at running away than the complainers, or just don’t care about having some stupendous/OP/flashy shiny ship.

This, the Makarov is the Nurnburg because when the Soviets got her as war reparations they liked the guns so much they make ammunition for her instead of replacing the guns. I got her last year and was quite happy.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
5,312 posts
5,801 battles
41 minutes ago, CaptainTeddybear said:

While I agree the wording is deceptive I think the bigger problem is what is on the short list. Not only is the Makarov a POS but it literally is a ship from the tech tree.

If Graf Spee, Arizona and T-61 were on the short list some people might whine a little at the deception but it would be vastly outweighed by getting good ships.

i’m not sure who thought people would be happy getting a Makarov, maybe they need re-education?

Well, I'd like that list a lot better simply because I have all three of those.  :cap_like:

24 minutes ago, SkaerKrow said:

People fishing for Enterprise, Missouri, or Kutuzov would be no happier with T-61 than they are Orkan. It’s not what’s on the short list, it’s that the short list exists at all. Or if not the existence of the list itself, the fact that WG hasn’t disclosed “Hey, these boxes are probably going drop these # ships before any others” to their customers. 

I think people fishing for one of the banned ships would be happier with that list because, being good ships, many players would have one, or even all, of them thus punting them right into the long list of ships like they want.

Would it be as good as no short list?  No.  Would it be better than a short list of crappy ships?  Yes.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
12,320 posts
17,497 battles
36 minutes ago, SkaerKrow said:

Yeah this ^^ I have been fine with this mechanic but WG needs to tell folks about it.

[RLGN]
Members
15,163 posts
26,804 battles
32 minutes ago, CaptainTeddybear said:

The Makarov is the Nurnburg.

Why would you pay money for a Makarov?

Can’t remember how I got it. Christmas last year or the year before maybe. There’s a chance I may have actually paid for it, because I like Konigsburg and Nurnburg; don’t much care for any of the RU cruisers past Bogatyr/Oleg; and needed a (not Murmansk, which I also like,) RU cruiser for some event/task/mission.

[WOLFD]
Members
99 posts
7,101 battles

Oddly enough I did not get one out of all the boxes I opened. I actually wanted one. Then my wife gets it for her account out of the very first box she opened on her account.... I was a bit miffed. Lol.

• Funny 1

[SALVO]
Members
5,973 posts
4,946 battles
2 hours ago, CaptainTeddybear said:

I could use a Makarov... or any T6 russian prem for running Ops, I wouldn't mind one... what I would mind is expending money on loot boxes, kinda silly... far cheaper to straight buy the ship I need

[ARGSY]
Members
22,308 posts
16,251 battles
3 hours ago, CaptainTeddybear said:

IIRC Makarov has a fairly long reach for Tier 6, she has access to almost all the operations (except Narai); and because she's a premium you can drop Russian captains into her whenever you want. Nurnberg doesn't have that last bit of flexibility. Makarov also comes with premium levels of credit making and service cost bonuses (not much at T6, true, but it's something), and her own permacamo. 

The other advantage of her being "Nurnbergski" is that players who've driven Nurnberg will immediately know exactly what to expect.

If your RU cruiser captain that you're dropping into her has IFHE, it's not wasted on Makarov because unlike Nurnberg, she doesn't have it baked in.

The other Russian premium cruiser at this tier, Molotov, is closer to a heavy cruiser than a light one. There might be implications for putting a captain with IFHE in her.

3 hours ago, CaptainTeddybear said:

I think it's a fairly hefty helping of both.

I do have to disclose that having seen the shortlist, I'm one of those people who doesn't have much problem receiving any of the ships on it (I already have Yudachi). I'm considering buying 20 bigs because that's about the same price as the 50%-off premium time bundle I won't be buying this year (because I have enough on hand to defer that purchase through to late 2021-early 2022). 

Bring on your Makarov, WG; my port is ready. 

[EGO]
Banned
4,105 posts
1 hour ago, ArIskandir said:

I could use a Makarov... or any T6 russian prem for running Ops, I wouldn't mind one... what I would mind is expending money on loot boxes, kinda silly... far cheaper to straight buy the ship I need

Makarov would be one of my last choices for Operations.  If it had to be Russian Molotov is a much better choice imo.

‘if Molotov was on the short list instead of Makarov I don’t think people would b early as upset.