You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Wookieswimnot

Pensacola or Dallas

19 comments in this topic

[WOLFD]
Members
841 posts
6,804 battles

Pensacola, SUCKS!  Slow reload, super slow turret traverse, no way you can keep turrets on target at close range.  Even turning ship and turret, a slow BB can out pace your guns at close range.  It is statistically the worst performing T6 cruiser in the entire game!

Go for the Dallas!

My 2 cents.

• Boring 1

[DEV_X]
Alpha Tester
2,560 posts
25,407 battles

Pensacola is decent. It does suffer a bit but can really dish out some damage to other cruisers if they give broadside.

Dallas is really fun though and it has better AA at its tier. I enjoy the light cruisers a bit more than the heavies though.

Just my opinion.

• Boring 1

[KSD]
Members
115 posts
8,502 battles

Here's the deal with the pensacola: it won't be fun at first because you're going to die a lot, but if you keep at it, it will make you a much better player at this game.  I didn't really feel frustration with WoWs until I got to the pepsi, but I'm a stubborn guy, so I stuck with it, read guides, and watched a lot of tutorial vids.  Now the Pensacola is one of my favorite ships.  So go for the pepsi, it'll make you better at the game. 

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[RLGN]
Members
15,170 posts
26,814 battles
7 minutes ago, Ceesa said:

Here's the deal with the pensacola: it won't be fun at first because you're going to die a lot, but if you keep at it, it will make you a much better player at this game.  I didn't really feel frustration with WoWs until I got to the pepsi, but I'm a stubborn guy, so I stuck with it, read guides, and watched a lot of tutorial vids.  Now the Pensacola is one of my favorite ships.  So go for the pepsi, it'll make you better at the game. 

Agree with this 100%.

Vulnerable to AP, but just as capable of dishing out the same hurt, especially to cruisers it’s likely to meet, when well played.

Don’t forget your HE and keep up your map awareness. Slow RoF Pensy may have, but 203mm HE murders DDs if you catch them out.

• Cool 1

[BRFN]
Beta Testers
3 posts
3,997 battles

I think you're really asking whether you should pursue the light cruiser line, or the heavy cruiser line.  And that comes down to how you like to play.

The light cruisers get lots of fast-firing guns, so if you like "pew-pew-pew" you'll enjoy that.  It means you'll be shooting at lots of destroyers and spamming HE at batttleships, and your guns have relatively short range.

The heavy cruisers get slower-firing 8 in guns and fewer tubes, but their shells can penetrate enough armor to do citadel hits, even penning battleships at close range. You'll normally be staying at longer ranges on average and playing more strategically.  

Eventually you're going to want to do both lines, so I wouldn't sell the Omaha before doing all the research on it.

• Cool 1

[VOP]
Members
890 posts
2 minutes ago, Legio_IV_Flavia_Felix said:

Also, to BillT's point, recommend you keep Omaha in port at least until the New Year's event for some extra coal.

I like the Omaha. It is one of my "go to" ships for low tier engagements. You can set fires and cit other cruisers fairly well. I just kept it.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles
59 minutes ago, Ceesa said:

What a great point.  +1

If you can learn and excel in Pensacola, it'll make you a better cruiser player overall.  Pensacola, just like ships like Nurnberg, teaches you the value of tactical play and punishes mistakes quickly.  

With Pensacola, learn from those inevitable mistakes, good positioning, and the value between using HE and AP.  American 203mm AP with its improved penetration is absolutely devastating to other cruisers who underestimate you.

At the end of the day, Pensacola leads you up the line to the ultimate jewel in the crown, Des Moines.  She is an absolute monster and worth the grind.

• Cool 1

[BOTO]
Members
1,418 posts
17,022 battles
1 hour ago, Wookieswimnot said:

Hey guys im grinding for a tier 6 cruiser and i want to know which is better, pensacola or dallas. i like playing fast and close range

Pensacola, while more difficult to play, is the better ship.  If you can learn to play Pensacola well then you can play pretty much any cruiser well.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
243 posts
4,025 battles

The Pensacola's nickname in game is the Pepsicola - because it's a tin can. If the cruiser player hasn't yet learned the lesson of not happily sailing in straight lines, showing a broadside to potential battleship fire, then the Pepsicola will certainly teach that lesson. And how! It's a ship with the handicap of the Washington Naval Treaty, and playing with a handicap always helps up your game.  

Otherwise, as others have said what you're really asking is which line to try, the answer being: both. You'll want to try both light and heavy cruiser lines to see which one best fits your playstyle (sounds like you'd probably prefer light). 

• Cool 1

Members
541 posts

I just finished the grind from Dallas to Helena and am currently grinding in the Pensacola.

I preferred the Dallas. More HE spam, easier to hide and fire behind islands, and isn't targeted as often. The Pensacola is one giant magnet for every enemy ship in range.

[WOLF1]
Members
119 posts
5,911 battles

Pensacola was my first ship to get a kracken, it was great at T7.

Even in T6, the ship is still fantastic, when used correctly. Your armor is paper thin, your citadel easy to hit. However, you're running the USN 203mms, which are great. The shells are very hard hitting, and able to penetrate a better angles than other cruisers. With its slower reload, you have to learn how to kite correctly to use all turrets. Never be the closest ship, and never show your broadside. Keep an eye out for broadside cruisers and BB's. 

Getting comfortable with this ship will set you up for the rest of the US CA line. Its a very difficult ship, but if you can manage, its very rewarding. 

[FML]
Members
4,120 posts
16,057 battles
9 hours ago, Wookieswimnot said:

Hey guys im grinding for a tier 6 cruiser and i want to know which is better, pensacola or dallas. i like playing fast and close range

Hi, welcome to WoWS.  

To directly answer your question, I think the Dallas is easier to play by HE spamming targets and setting them on fire, but the Pensacola can devastate cruisers with AP if you know what you're doing - both are extremely vulnerable to incoming fire (particularly from battleships) and you'll often die in 1 salvo (try not to drive broadside to enemy battleships).  As others have stated, both ships have a reputation for being not great - but I think you're actually asking the wrong question. 

I also agree with @BillT, once researched and bought, you'll play the T6 ships only for a relatively short time (though it'll feel like a long time compared to the T2-5 ships you've just played), so really you should be asking yourself what your ultimate objective is: USN light cruisers, or heavy cruisers; the T10 Worcester or the T10 Des Moines? For a description of how these kinds of ships play differently, see my Ship Role Quick Reference Guide

Otherwise, you might be interested in some guides and information for new players - click the spoiler below. 

Good luck! :)

Spoiler

For new players, I recommend the following nations and tech tree branches as easy to learn and to play: 

• Destroyers: American destroyers are the easiest to play - their fast firing guns, and torpedoes on both sides (at low tier) means that its a fast, fun run-and-gun style, with great smoke screens.  They are very forgiving - rush in, gun enemy destroyers, and if you win and live, then rush up to a battleship and shove him up with torps... once you get more experience, you can do all of those things better, faster, longer etc. 
  • Cruisers: French cruisers are probably the easiest to play at low-mid tiers. Load HE, shoot slow targets at near your max range to set them on fire - when they repair those fires, set more.  Dodge incoming shells (particularly from battleships) by slamming into full reverse and throwing the rudder over into a hard turn - then accelerate away again before the next salvo comes.  Use your long-range torpedos to shoot down narrow alleys where the enemy is coming from - sometimes you'll get a hit, and it'll be great. More fires!
    • DO NOT start on the British Light Cruiser line (ending in Minotaur) - these ships take detailed understanding and experience of the game mechanics in order to play; things like target selection, map positioning, map awareness, spotting mechanics, AP bounce and shatter mechanics, smoke screens, fire detection range in smoke, sonar and torpedo aim all to be functional. Experienced players even struggle with this line.  Steer clear.  
  • Battleships
    • British: These are sturdy battleships that have excellent HE direct damage and high fire chance - unlike most battleships, shooting HE at things will make them go boom. Because of that, and because they have decent armour protection generally, these battleships are easy to learn: aim well, and profit. 
    • German: Much stronger armour, but wonky/inaccurate main guns - you'll mostly be shooting AP shells at enemy battleships and cruisers.  However, your battleships have good to excellent secondary battery (particularly from Tier 7) and are a defining feature of the line.  Because they are meant to be played up close to the enemy, these ships are easier to aim, take solid damage, and encourage your team to push the capture point you're currently on, helping to win games. 
    • French: Low tier these ships arent anything special; however, by mid tier they become multi-barrelled shotguns and by T8+ they become (less armoured) speed demons - a truly varied line that might help you determine what kind of ship you like playing. I found them fun.  
  • Aircraft carriers: Personally, I suggest avoiding them entirely for now - they are very different to play and hard to do well at.  However, as a general principle Royal Navy carriers are easier to play but less impactful on the battle - seek out enemy ships that have just used DCP in order to set lots of fires that stick.  USN carriers are the most traditional and grasping these will transfer to other nations' carriers - they are a bit tricker to play but have more impact on the battle than Royal Navy carriers.  Japanese carriers do far more direct damage with their AP bombs and heavier torpedo plane squadrons, but they are harder to play and you need to understand AP bomb pen mechanics and search for citadels. German carriers are quite different, are the hardest to play and require a skilled hand as they are unlike the others.  See iChase's video guide to get a grasp of the basics of CV play.  Also, TopTier's example shows how to play low tier carriers well - in particular, where you should drive your carrier to stay alive. 

There are a range of great resources to help new players; both on these forums and on youtube etc; I strongly encourage you to read the following: 

• How to set up your game client to get the information you need to win: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSCb96CLCs4
  • (For brand New Players - a full comprehensive guide) iChase's How to get good at World of Warships - I wish this was around when I started!
  • (For New Players) - Wargaming's 'How It Works' series that explains the game's mechanics - important to learn these as it differs to real life.
  • (For New Players looking to become Intermediate) my Ship Role Quick Reference Guide to understand how to get the best out of your ship every battle and how to deal with enemy ships of the same type. 
  • (For Intermediate players) LittleWhiteMouse's guide to How to take control of your win rate:  https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/75077-how-to-control-your-win-rate/
  • For players at any level who are interested in personalised feedback on a particular battle, get in touch with Lord_Zath and his replay centre - its an amazing service that you should take advantage of.  
  • You are under absolutely no obligation to spend money on this game - it is entirely free to play including at high tiers. 
    • Understanding the economics of WoWS and tips for playing as free-to-play: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDgwH2w-k7U
    • Still, if you are interested in buying a premium ship, a discussion on what premium ships are good value for newer players can be found on my New Player Guide Premium Ships for New Players.
      • The second post in this thread has some good advice on how to rapidly become a better player through teamwork and positioning - see Section 3 - its worth a read!

• Cool 1