Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
OuijaApologist

AIRRAID ON PEARL HARBOR X THIS IS NO DRILL

11 comments in this topic

Members
468 posts

December 7, 1941, these Pearl Harbor heroes rose above and beyond the call of duty to serve their fellow man and country. Though there was so much death and destruction, these brave souls risked their lives to help their fellow crewmen.

Read more about these Pearl Harbor heroes and remember that even in the darkest times, there are those who will always turn on the light.

James Ward

James Ward

Born in Springfield, Ohio, First Class Seaman James Ward sacrificed his life on that fateful day to help his crewmen escape to safety. Ward was stationed on the USS Oklahoma, one of the ships the Japanese sank that day.

When it looked clear that the ship would sink, Ward didn’t flee or hide. With only a flashlight, Ward stayed in a turret where some crewmen still remained. Without his light, the crewmen never would have seen the exit. Thanks to him, they followed the light and safely escaped.

Unfortunately, Ward was unable to escape the turret himself. He lost his life that day. Ward was later honored with a Medal of Honor and a Purple Heart.

Doris Miller

Doris Miller

The morning of December 7, 1941, was just like any other morning for Doris Miller, an African American Mess Attendant, Third Class on the USS West Virginia. After serving breakfast, Miller started on the day’s laundry when a Japanese torpedo struck the side of the ship. Rather than caving to the chaos around him, Miller sprung into action, helping the injured get to safety by moving them back and forth across the deck.

When his superior officer asked him to help load ammo into two Browning .50 caliber anti-aircraft machine guns, Miller loaded the guns and then began firing them at the Japanese planes above. Though it is unknown whether he hit any planes, Miller helped keep the planes at bay, despite having no training with the gun.

Miller survived the attack and received several promotions, but two years later, he was killed when a torpedo sank the USS Liscome Bay. For his acts of bravery, Miller received the Navy Cross and a Purple Heart. He became the face of recruitment posters for the Navy, and in 2010, his face appeared on a first-class postage stamp honoring great sailors.

Mervyn S Bennion

Mervyn Bennion

Miller wasn’t the only hero on the USS West Virginia. In fact, he briefly crossed paths with another hero – Captain Mervyn Bennion.

During the attack, shrapnel mortally wounded Bennion, but instead of allowing Miller and other officers to carry him away to safety, Bennion insisted he remain on the ship. Though he was in great pain, Bennion continued to give orders and direct his men as they tried to defend the ship. He eventually died from his injuries, but not before doing everything possible to save his men.

For his bravery, Bennion was awarded a Medal of Honor and a Purple Heart.

Donald Ross

Donald Ross

Machinist Donald Ross never knew what the USS Nevada would bring him, but when the Japanese began attacking her in their surprise attack on Pearl Harbor, Ross launched into action.

First, Ross cleared his station – the forward dynamo room – which was quickly filling with heat, smoke and steam. It was nearly impossible to see, but Ross didn’t care. After his men escaped to safety, he remained to keep the room working until he become completely blind and unconscious.

Luckily, he was saved and resuscitated, but Ross didn’t remain in safety for long. He went right back to that forward dynamo room to secure it. Once he finished, he moved on to the after dynamo room, but the smoke and heat finally got to him. He passed out once more, but managed to regain consciousness. He left the room and returned to his station until told to abandon the station altogether.

Ross later received the Medal of Honor for his valor.

20180517_160310.thumb.jpg.1cdd56e3f7bb4125bd6eadc4e893ccf7.jpg20180517_160327.thumb.jpg.f854087245463e8f9abaf0a2f5c0e191.jpg20180517_160152.thumb.jpg.d0bc529dce873e5bad1b58419cca3c74.jpg20180517_160206.thumb.jpg.c287bba7c808010efbf86131ab676382.jpg

pearl.jpg.8bcea13664e0b5d3c75b44ccf902bcb8.jpg

Pearl Harbor Heroes - Visit Pearl Harbor

Model is 1/200 scale Trumpeter USS Arizona in 5-D dark gray. I copied the in game USS Arizona's rigging. 

Edited by OuijaApologist
  • Cool 4
  • Thanks 3

Members
378 posts
15,136 battles

Very nice post OP!  However, as Arlskandir above states, the white fond makes it very hard to read (and appears there is only pictures and no text).  Maybe change the text color so others will read the stories and not just pass this post by.

Members
468 posts
22 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

Font is white, as the background. Hard to read...

9 minutes ago, chrisope said:

Very nice post OP!  However, as Arlskandir above states, the white fond makes it very hard to read (and appears there is only pictures and no text).  Maybe change the text color so others will read the stories and not just pass this post by.

Should be corrected now, I'm using dark theme so didn't notice. Thanks for the heads up. 

• Cool 1

[TSF]
Beta Testers
409 posts
14,915 battles

Good Post! I did a lot of research on December 7th for my novel, BB-39. There were many unsung heroes that day. I salute them all.

• Thanks 1

[FOXY]
Members
1,211 posts
5,765 battles

Ive always loved naval history, and ive always had a huge love for the USS Arizona, and the attack on Pearl Harbor.

When i went to bootcamp, my "ship"(barracks) i went through the training in was the Arizona, and when i graduated from that i made sure to get a coin before i left. Ive never managed to find my way to that monument but its on my list. If you havent heard it, give this song a listen, its a decent tribute i think.

Edited by Princess_Daystar
  • Thanks 1

[ASRN]
Beta Testers
718 posts
6,798 battles

An additional note on Mr. MIller:  The upcoming aircraft carrier CVN-81 is to be named after him.

Members
468 posts
26 minutes ago, Ann_Darrow said:

An additional note on Mr. MIller:  The upcoming aircraft carrier CVN-81 is to be named after him.

I read that while checking out his wikipedia page. The state of Texas has tried 3 times to award him the medal of honor but it says nobody voted on the measure. I believe he deserves it, saving lives and then operating a weapon system voluntarily that he had never been trained to use, thus saving untold more lives. 

Edited by OuijaApologist

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,131 posts
4,766 battles

Dorie Miller is getting a perhaps greater honor.  Our newest Ford-class CVN will be named for him.

• Cool 1

[TSF]
Beta Testers
409 posts
14,915 battles

BB-39 is a novel that tells the stories of 5 young men form a small southwestern town who join the USN in 1938. After boot camp they are assigned to the USS Arizona, BB-39. The story follows their lives in the pre-war Battleship navy, and the 3 survivors after December 7th. The book is available on Amazon as a Kindle ebook, in print, and as an audio book.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this