You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
cgbosn4

Was the Benham ever put up for sale?

28 comments in this topic

[USCG]
Members
713 posts
21,977 battles

Quick question... If memory serves, the Benham was a prize ship for a rather long challenge two summers ago. I was in the middle of a household move so I wasn’t able to get the ship. She is probably the only ship I REALLY want out of a Santa crate but am done with them. There are just too many “meh” ships that I’d probably get long before a Benham pops up. 

That being said, was the Benham ever offered up for sale, either with cash, dubs, coal, steel, etc.? I honestly don’t remember if she was and I can’t think of any other ship that wasn’t made available in any other way other than finishing a challenge or Santa crate... 

Edited by cgbosn4

[ARGSY]
Members
22,308 posts
16,251 battles

She could be whaled at a substantial cost if you failed to complete the grind, but ONLY during last year's Rogue Wave event. You did it by getting however many purchase tokens you still needed after all the grinding opportunities were gone from event crates which you bought with doubloons.

I could have afforded it, but stupidly told myself that no Tier 9 DD could possibly be worth what I would have had to spend. I was so, so wrong. :Smile_sad: One of my few bad decisions in this game.

Apart from that, I don't think she has ever been on sale. 

• Cool 1

[SCOM]
Members
221 posts
9,508 battles

Correct, she was never sold.  If I remember right you had to buy her with tokens.  But you could buy containers with the tokens.

Dont forget the Puerto Rico, it was never technically sold and probably never will be.

[ARGSY]
Members
22,308 posts
16,251 battles
9 minutes ago, Wanturskul said:

Dont forget the Puerto Rico, it was never technically sold and probably never will be.

This is not entirely correct. You could get her up front for doubloons with no grind if you felt 59K dubs was worth it, and a lot of the hate which flowed during that event was directed at people who had very clearly whaled her on the first day.

People keep asking if she's ever going to be made available again, and the vibe I got from Crysantos and Conway - and this is just my personal reading between the lines, mind you - is that they feel it would be better if the PR never again saw the light of day.

I got the grind price down to 25K, and if I'd gone on playing hard after I'd finished stage 3 and scored the Gorizia's doubloons back I might have got it down to 15K. The latter represents a lost opportunity (my OTHER big mistake in this game); at that price, she was scarcely more expensive than the most pricey Tier 8's and could have been justified.

My better half told me I could do it if I wanted to, but I decided 25K was too much to spend on just one ship.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[TXC]
Beta Testers
91 posts
9,679 battles

she's my absolute favorite ship....    great way to start the morning,, with a cup of Hot Java and 32 torps in the water simultaneously.. :DD::cap_rambo::DD:

• Boring 1

Members
710 posts
29 minutes ago, cgbosn4 said:

was the Benham ever offered up for sale, either with cash, dubs, coal, steel, etc.?

Yeap.   The Benham had a promo in which if you bought the package it came with the 'Benham flag' and whatever else.  IIRC, it was the only way to get the flag.  One look at the event was enough to tell me that there was no way I was bustin' my butt that hard for a ship that was easily OP as f--k.  The cash amount was ~ $250.

Benham Flag.jpg

• Meh 1

[WOLFC]
Members
3,197 posts

Back when Femennenly worked for WOWS, she said that WG was planning to bring the Benham back at some point.  I don't know if that's still true or not ...

Members
858 posts
6,209 battles
3 minutes ago, DocWalker said:

Back when Femennenly worked for WOWS, she said that WG was planning to bring the Benham back at some point.  I don't know if that's still true or not ...

"via some other means" = santa containers. You aren't getting better than that. Benham is a ship that WG will never put up for sale. imagine each team with 4 Benhams. It would be torpedo soup. Keeping the numbers low is good for the game. 

[WOLFC]
Members
3,197 posts
6 minutes ago, General_Lee_Miserable said:

"via some other means" = santa containers. ...

I'm sure you're probably correct

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,360 posts
22,158 battles
1 hour ago, cgbosn4 said:

Quick question... If memory serves, the Benham was a prize ship for a rather long challenge two summers ago. I was in the middle of a household move so I wasn’t able to get the ship. She is probably the only ship I REALLY want out of a Santa crate but am done with them. There are just too many “meh” ships that I’d probably get long before a Benham pops up. 

That being said, was the Benham ever offered up for sale, either with cash, dubs, coal, steel, etc.? I honestly don’t remember if she was and I can’t think of any other ship that wasn’t made available in any other way other than finishing a challenge or Santa crate... 

If you found you were going to be short tokens, you could buy Rouge Wave containers.

Best $30 bucks i ever spent. 

My top 3 most fun ships:

POMMERN

BENHAM 

JB

• Cool 1

[SRPH]
[SRPH]
Members
1,117 posts
4,173 battles

Ah, the ship that invades Co-op whenever there is a mission for X number of kills...all bots dead before my BB hits middle...:Smile_sceptic:

[ARGSY]
Members
22,308 posts
16,251 battles
10 minutes ago, Bonfor said:

Ah, the ship that invades Co-op whenever there is a mission for X number of kills...all bots dead before my BB hits middle...:Smile_sceptic:

It's not just the BBs which have that problem when Benham comes out to play!

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[SCOM]
Members
221 posts
9,508 battles
3 minutes ago, Bonfor said:

I find the Benham is not the best for kills in coop.  Because the bots have the Absolute Vigilance skill that can nullify great torp spreads.  The best for kills would be the Kita or Haragumo in my opinion. I had a 1000 base exp Hara game this week in coop with 5 kills and 280k damage finishing some of the Black Friday missions.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
3,281 posts
26,944 battles

I enjoy them both the Puerto and the Benham as a matter of fact all 395 of my ships...Difficult trying to play them all tho...................... 

[RAGE]
Members
424 posts
6,803 battles
1 hour ago, Farm_Fresh_Eggs said:

Yeap.   The Benham had a promo in which if you bought the package it came with the 'Benham flag' and whatever else.  IIRC, it was the only way to get the flag.  One look at the event was enough to tell me that there was no way I was bustin' my butt that hard for a ship that was easily OP as f--k.  The cash amount was ~ $250.

Benham Flag.jpg

You do not recall correctly. You could only get Benham with fuel tokens that could be earned in missions, or bought in crates. It was never for sale. The flag came with Benham.

(You could get the 800 tokens just by buying crates, and that may have cost $250)

fueltoks.jpg

Edited by mumphred
  • Cool 1

[WOLFC]
Members
2,184 posts
10,547 battles

My fondest memory involving Benham was a match where I ran one down and sunk it with torpedoes... in my Hipper. Justice was served that day.

But yeah, Benham will likely never see the light of day again. I’m shocked WG thought a ship with her torpedo power wouldn’t be overpowered.

Members
710 posts
22 minutes ago, mumphred said:

You do not recall correctly. You could only get Benham with fuel tokens that could be earned in missions, or bought in crates. It was never for sale. The flag came with Benham.

(You could get the 800 tokens just by buying crates, and that may have cost $250)

fueltoks.jpg

Alright then, I bought enough loot boxes for fuel tokens apparently. 

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,026 posts
27,716 battles

I had most of the time off when the event happened. So I grinded my way to the Benham. 

She isn't OP, just one of the ships that are unfun to play against.

zzWDA2F.jpg

[WOLFC]
Members
2,165 posts
10,905 battles
1 hour ago, Wanturskul said:

Correct, she was never sold.  If I remember right you had to buy her with tokens.  But you could buy containers with the tokens.

Correct

I spent $49 (CanD)  for it - quite enjoy the camo it came with.

Its very good at area control. 

[WOLF3]
Members
28,770 posts
25,028 battles

I remember the event getting her was a real challenge.  A bunch of people on the Discord channel I was on wanted her, but the requirements to get her was just too much.

[RAGE]
Members
424 posts
6,803 battles

It was quite a grind, I was determined to get her for free. She's still my favorite boat.

Members
858 posts
6,209 battles
57 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

If you found you were going to be short tokens, you could buy Rouge Wave containers.

Best $30 bucks i ever spent. 

My top 3 most fun ships:

POMMERN

BENHAM 

JB

$30? You had it easy

$200 here!  

Members
993 posts
11,262 battles

I don’t think the Benham grind was that hard as long as you could play every day.  You got tokens for completing each daily mission chain, and if you completed a very high percentage (56 or 58 out of 60, something very close to all of them during the earning period) you got 100 bonus tokens.  If you did not get that bonus you would have to buy multiple crates to end up with enough tokens.  I was away for one weekend and thus could not complete enough mission chains, and, perhaps foolishly, did not buy my way to the rest.

[WOLFG]
Members
11,139 posts
10,380 battles
1 hour ago, Bonfor said:

No worse ship to see in front of you during a coop match.

A good Shima driver can pop 3 kills with proper use of the first set of torpedoes.

A Benham just doesn't care.

[DVYJC]
Members
3,659 posts
8,733 battles
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

She could be whaled at a substantial cost if you failed to complete the grind, but ONLY during last year's Rogue Wave event. You did it by getting however many purchase tokens you still needed after all the grinding opportunities were gone from event crates which you bought with doubloons.

I could have afforded it, but stupidly told myself that no Tier 9 DD could possibly be worth what I would have had to spend. I was so, so wrong. :Smile_sad: One of my few bad decisions in this game.

Apart from that, I don't think she has ever been on sale. 

2 hours ago, cgbosn4 said:

I actually thought the Benham event was really great, because you got to balance grind vs. pay as much as you wanted and could make up any failed grind with paying at the end if you wanted without paying a penalty at all. I think I ended up paying about $15 after I was done grinding. It was the first big grind I did for WOWS.