You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
LittleWhiteMouse

Mouse's Take on the Short-List Fiasco

176 comments in this topic

[FRR]
Members
822 posts

Do not gamble your hard earned money on loot boxes. 

Santa Crates, including that now exposed 'short list', is at its core gambling.

Period.

No amount of sugar coating it (calling it 'lucky dip') can change that fact.

• Cool 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Boring 2

[HTDGS]
Members
464 posts
10,924 battles
1 minute ago, Hukom said:

Do not gamble your hard earned money on loot boxes. 

Santa Crates, including that now exposed 'short list', is at its core gambling.

Period.

No amount of sugar coating it (calling it 'lucky dip') can change that fact.

This.

If you're comfortable with all the possible rewards, by all means, spend some discretionary income.  If you're not, then don't.  It's really that simple.

• Cool 4

[SWAMP]
Members
66 posts
14,893 battles

Well said.

I have bought crates in the past and have NEVER received what I wanted the most BUT I have always been happy with what I do get because I understand the implications of this and have known about it for years since I have been playing the game since the open beta.

Keep up the good work.

• Cool 4

Members
335 posts
25 battles

Although I specifically have issues that the shortlist was not explained (when it had been in 2016/2017)...

Well said.
The system is weighted against you getting that Missouri or Musashi regardless of the exact mechanics.

Now we can get onto far more important matters.
Vertical dispersion.

• Cool 1

[MEME]
Beta Testers
152 posts
3,287 battles

I just wish there was sale on current ships. Maybe there will be one on Monday.

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[CLUMP]
Members
1,202 posts
1,505 battles

I don't buy loot boxes or anything connect to rng in that fashion direct purchase or no dice :Smile_coin: The only thing I would want from these boxes would be the Enterprise so getting anything else would be a loss for me regardless of what it is :Smile_hiding: 

Edited by LastRemnant
  • Cool 1

[ONE]
Members
363 posts
17 minutes ago, LastRemnant said:

I don't buy loot boxes or anything connect to rng in that fashion direct purchase or no dice :Smile_coin: The only thing I would want from these boxes would be the Enterprise so getting anything else would be a loss for me regardless of what it is :Smile_hiding: 

Received the Enterprise yesterday in a Christmas crate and felt it was WG's way of getting back at me for refusing to play carriers.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 4
  • Haha 8

Members
335 posts
25 battles
25 minutes ago, CatinHat said:

I don't believe so. To my knowledge WG never does a direct sale.

There's some various in game extra bonus on free xp (1db=35) and credits somewhen over Christmas but that's not a sale as such.

I think the closest we get is Black Friday specifically with the B ships which has just gone.
The big Christmas thingy is Santa gift loot boxes, and there is normally a 50% discount on a years premium time around new years. Which I think is the real must buy, assuming you intend to play the game for a year.

Edited by SoothingWhaleSongEU

[LF]
Members
246 posts
35 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Loot boxes are awful and I hate them.

Good point. And I get everything you said in your post. It seems the outrage this year is that the short list is basically guaranteed to happen. If you buy 20 crates, you will get a ship off the short list or no ships at all unless you have none of them.

• Cool 2

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,519 posts
18,162 battles
8 minutes ago, 6thGuards said:

Received the Enterprise yesterday in a Christmas crate and felt it was WG's way of getting back at me for refusing to play carriers.

Bingo!. I got the Led Zeppelin B (I like that name better) last year for the same reason. 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[WORX]
Members
12,001 posts
19,508 battles

Manufactured anger, its 2020, que sera, sera... Let them complain.

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Cool 2
  • Boring 3
  • Meh 4

[GWG]
Members
7,302 posts
14,089 battles
2 minutes ago, SoothingWhaleSongEU said:

I don't believe so. To my knowledge WG never does a direct sale.

There's some various in game extra bonus on free xp (1db=35) and credits somewhen over Christmas but that's not a sale as such.

I think the closest we get is Black Friday specifically with the B ships which has just gone.
The big Christmas thingy is Santa gift loot boxes, and there is normally a 50% discount on a years premium time around new years. Which I think is the real must buy, assuming you intend to play the game for a year.

The 50% discount was only around when I was working 18 hour days at the end of the fiscal year.  I never got to it until it was over...   and it was only up for a couple days.

They might not even offer it this year...  Get ready for more outrage.  Traditions around here are not sacred.

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
899 posts
7,074 battles

For y'all saying "they did this every year why are you complaining now,"  do you think it's remotely possible new players may have joined the game? 

Rocket science right

• Cool 4
  • Funny 2
  • Haha 1

[TXC]
Beta Testers
91 posts
9,713 battles

they make nice gift's for your friends for xmas ... even 30 premium signals is nice..   but these ppl spending hundred and hundreds of dollars on gambling crates is a little off the wall...

[CLUMP]
Members
1,202 posts
1,505 battles
22 minutes ago, 6thGuards said:

Yeah that's wargaming's way of telling you they know what stuff you play :Smile_hiding: I bet if do get a ship it would be a DD or Cruiser :Smile_teethhappy:

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
1,325 posts
7,808 battles

It is important to remember that WG is a business run for profit and their marketing dept is there to ensure profit by enticing you with programs that are nothing less than a sow with fancy makeup and perfume... Better to offer a crate or crates that say, Missouri or a select couple of rare ships were the only payout I suspect many would pay the price for them even if it was silly...

[IMP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
364 posts
5,652 battles

WG predates on people with gambling addictions so that their multi-millionaire CEO can buy another Ferrari for his dog which lives on his 7th mansion.

They want addicts, it's as simple as that.

[ONE]
Members
363 posts
38 minutes ago, LastRemnant said:

Yeah that's wargaming's way of telling you they know what stuff you play :Smile_hiding: I bet if do get a ship it would be a DD or Cruiser :Smile_teethhappy:

Just had the Benham drop from a crate and that was one of the ones at the top of my list, no complaints from me since I prefer DDs and CAs.

• Boring 2

[ARGSY]
Members
22,426 posts
16,285 battles
1 hour ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

The catch is if you're not buying these digital scratch-tickets for camo/signals/coal/free xp/doubloons but are instead hoping for not only a ship jackpot, but a specific ship jackpot, you're going to lose. 

I cannot agree more.

My gut feeling is that the fuss is about which ships are coming up first. Three years ago, as a newbie, if I'd bought some of these crates and got even one mediocre mid tier premium ship out of them, I'd have been happier than a pig in mud. 

Wargaming doesn't owe you the ship of your dreams just because you bought half a grand worth of crates. Never has, never will.

I've had some obscenely good luck out of crates - the Summer Sale was more generous to me than I had any right to expect - but I am WELL AWARE that that was an incredible stroke of luck that never happened before and will likely never happen again.

When I buy a bunch of boxes this time around, it'll be because I have enough accumulated premium time that I've decided to spend the money on something else this year and it will be fun for my kids to open the boxes with me and see what their dad can pull out (and because my wife is actively nudging me and saying "Get yourself some boxes." I love her so much). I have to confess that if I ended up with a Makarov and a California, I would not be entirely displeased. Ochakov, on the other hand, I'm not sure what I would do with.

P.S. I have quite a lot of premium ships - some won, some bought - but after all that's gone on so far, I'm more than half convinced that the Santa crate which bounced during the Summer Sale and coughed up a supercontainer with a Boise inside did so because it hit my Yudachi on the way in. :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 2

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,026 posts
27,728 battles
1 hour ago, CatinHat said:

You have to wait till the last 2 weeks this month.

[GOB]
Members
2,513 posts

THIS is what I have been saying!  You CAN get lucky though.  I got a RARE ship yesterday.. it's just a great BONUS!

2hrk73.gif