Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Action_Hero_John_Cusak

Yamato December 2020

3 comments in this topic

Members
29 posts
4,444 battles

Im not the best at this game. I read and Watched as much as I could for research. There waa a lack of patch contemporary advice. Then I got the Yamato and went through 3 different captain builds, and 3 ship builds. 15$ later...

Yamato

My setup: there is probably a better one

Upgrades,

main battery mod 1 (protect those turrets from breaking)

Damage control 1, mitigate HE and torpedo damage

Main battery mod 2, turret traverse. Waiting for guns to turn means lost opportunity

Damage control 2, HE and torpedo damage mitigation

Concealment mod, because the ship is too slow to dodge torps and increasing consumables means dc takes longer to reset

Auxiliary armaments 2, in my experience, slowing turret traverse even more is bad. Increasing range to 30km? I won't hit. So, this is the only one that offers utility.

Captain: I made these choices to increase utility and mitigate damage.

Preventative maintenance, direction center for fighters, high alert, expert marksman, Adrenaline rush, basic of survivability, fire prevention, radar location.

This is my first time working with radar location, and it's awesome.

There's something so cool about this ship. Its very name colors the mind to think of unimaginable power. To see this ship under power, to see it firing at you, it's awesome. To finally work my way through the ijn line and get it, it can't help but be disappointing.

It's engines are under powered. It turns insanely slow. It's turrets are even worse.

It's a real ship, so it has lots of super structure, and an armor design that made real compromises for integrity, maintenance and the engineering ability of the time. ALL(?) other tier 10 bbs are fantasy, this one is real. If wg modeled what that superstructure contributed to combat effectiveness, this would be a really cool game.

I tried AA, I tried secondary, then I built to protect from fires.  I tried a sniper build. But the ship doesn't snipe. While the izumo is limited to 22ishkm, the yamato is punching out to 26. But if you know where a ship will be in 17 seconds you should play the lotto. Some big damage can be racked up, but I cannot steer the battlefield sniping . At best, I end up having great losses. Mostly i just miss.

So let's talk how to play effectively.

Every review warns of all the weak points of the armor. But in practice, the armor is highly effective. At speed it is hard to hit its small but vulnerable weak points. Bow-on it's awesome.

Like its predecessors, it excels at the 15 - 20k range. Once you are pumping Honda Accord size rounds into the armor of anything, people lose their nerve.

Because it is slow, I hurry to a position where I'm not worried about cross shots, point the nose forward and roll back and forth from reverse to half forward. I  bully the closest target with those scary guns.

Really the 15-20km range is for two reasons:

-time to juke torps

-make sure you dont have to fight a turning engagement.

Besides that, people will be scared of you, and they will focus you.

The Izumo was great practice for the Yamato. It taught us that using your third turret makes one vulnerable, and that over 22km, youre rolling dice.

When they say it's not a brawler, I get it. The Yamato is not the tip of the spear. It is the center of the line. It needs support on it's flanks, but it punishes flankers and it mitigates AP damage like a champ.

I will say people dont expect Yamatos to get running and charge. When they do, they often panic. Those big guns make them struggle to get moving and turn, and dd's, cocky at Yamatos typical caution, play too close.  If you can find a moment to get up to speed and pop around a corner, it's awesome. If you do it wrong, yeah, you don't have a lot of options.

Gl. Stop babying this boat and get into the crap! Dont make Japan's error and save it for a doomed charge long after the battle is lost.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
5,199 posts
12,101 battles
57 minutes ago, Action_Hero_John_Cusak said:

get running and charge. When they do, they often panic.

I've found with most ships anymore if you charge - this tends to be the red teams reaction -

iGqACR.gif

It's like players have gotten so used to the static, long range gunnery especially of certain types and lines that if someone breaks from the norm, charges at them and isn't obliterated by the time their within 10 km or so - they start to panic and run be it a Baltimore or more so the Yamato (it's secondary ability in the right hands is nothing to be underestimated - this ship is a better brawler than most think). 

Nothing says comedy like charging in with Belfast against 2 DD's, a cruiser, and a battleship - and both DD's are destroyed, the cruiser limps off and the battleship flees before the reinforcements even arrive - and still being alive in the Belfast. 

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

Members
95 posts
6,948 battles

I went with Auxiliary Armaments Mod 1 to increase the survivability of AA/secondary mounts since they can get destroyed easily because the turrets are very tanky and never lose them. I prefer to have the Main Battery Director System (aka Legendary Module) in favor of the reload module because I like the improved accuracy over the improved reload.

My modules build:

1. Auxiliary Armaments Mod 1 (100% to the survivability of AA/secondary mounts)

2. Damage Control Mod 1 (-5 risk of catching fire. -3% risk of flooding)

3. Aiming System Mod 1 (-7% to dispersion)

4. Propulsion Mod 1 (50% to maximum speed)

5. Concealment (-10% detectability)

6. Main Battery Director System (-7% to dispersion)

Captain build:
ns build:Capture.thumb.PNG.16ea9ad089a52a92ad498a1346994df2.PNG

Edited by Systemlord_1

Sign in to follow this