You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Landing_Skipper

PSA: CV fighters

16 comments in this topic

[-GPS-]
Members
2,922 posts
37,470 battles

A Kansas sank himself shooting at my Lexington today because I wasn't dropping fighters on him when he thought I should.  Please note:  he had a grand total of 2 planes kills so he couldn't have been under plane attack but so much.

CV fighters are most useful for spotting DDs.  They can help discourage an enemy CV from attacking a lone ship, but they don't stop an attack.  They simply don't shoot down many planes.

Grouping up for overlapping AA is MUCH more effective.  I will attack almost any ship alone when playing CV, regardless of fighters.  However, I will not attack a group of ships with at least 1 strong AA boat in it unless there is no other choice.

Happy Hunting

• Cool 1
  • Haha 1
  • Meh 2

[_BDA_]
Members
430 posts
6,994 battles
13 minutes ago, Landing_Skipper said:

A Kansas sank himself shooting at my Lexington today because I wasn't dropping fighters on him when he thought I should. 

Explain this, please.

[FOXY]
Members
1,211 posts
5,765 battles
2 minutes ago, lAwawaIHawawal said:

Damage Reflection? Once you go Pink all damage you do is reflected back to yourself.

Not quite what happens? I got torpedoed today by a pink player, he didnt take the damage, i did, he took no damage and hit more than once. 

• Meh 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,519 posts
14,832 battles

Being in the right place to drop fighters so they will be useful is more luck than skill.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,776 posts
712 battles
27 minutes ago, Landing_Skipper said:

Please note:  he had a grand total of 2 planes kills so he couldn't have been under plane attack but so much.

I mean if AA was actually a deterrent that might be a point worth making but I don't have a lot of faith in a Kansas' ability to reliably down same-tier planes...

29 minutes ago, Landing_Skipper said:

Grouping up for overlapping AA is MUCH more effective.

Yeah you try getting a team of 30 knot ships to hang back with the 23 knot ship. Good luck.

[WOLFG]
Beta Testers
4,320 posts
15 minutes ago, Princess_Daystar said:

Not quite what happens? I got torpedoed today by a pink player, he didnt take the damage, i did, he took no damage and hit more than once. 

Yes, it needs to be sustained attempts to deal damage to someone on your team. For torpedoes the game does give them some more leeway before reflection as it can be a genuine accident. If the pink player repeatedly tries to deal damage to someone they will start get all of it back though.

Members
59 posts
744 battles

I actually like dropping fighters near friendly destroyers and ships with bad aa. I agree that spotting enemy destroyers with fighters is easier and a good tactic, but being helpful and saving a teammate a bit of health is nice. If fighters were to follow the ship it was dropped nearest to that would be a good incentive and way to make fighters more team oriented.

[LOLOL]
Members
26 posts

This is more true at the mid/lower tiers that you've built your CV stats on. T10 fighters are very strong defensively if used correctly, not so much for their actual destruction of enemy planes, but as deterrance/area denial. There just aren't that many DD's at 10 that can't be spotted with enough time to maneuver the planes properly, and all you're really doing is padding their AA stats. Probably most useful as your planes depart to allow for those last couple shots that often sink the DD. 

They're less useful at mid tiers, but the core of the decision really comes down to a selfish one. If you're good enough, and you appear to be, yes, any additional spotting it provides you during your attacks is probably more of a win for the team than the DPS of whichever tater whose life you extended.

My personal favorite is to drop fighters near a friendly dd, half for his sake, half for cap spotting, then watch him smoke up and sit in the smoke till the torpedo's arrive. #feelsbad

• Haha 1

[PHD]
Members
1,160 posts
6,083 battles

Fighters are the mosr useless consumable in the game. Imagine if hydro would go on cooldown after detecting 3 torpedos. That is fighter consumable.

• Cool 1

[7AES]
Members
2,163 posts
33,484 battles
10 hours ago, Landing_Skipper said:

Grouping up for overlapping AA is MUCH more effective. 

Grouping up=loss

WG nerfed overlapping AA

CV game design is horrid

[PIG]
[PIG]
Members
1,310 posts
6,410 battles

A Kansas sank himself shooting at my Lexington today because I wasn't dropping fighters on him when he thought I should.  Please note:  he had a grand total of 2 planes kills so he couldn't have been under plane attack but so much.

CV fighters are most useful for spotting DDs.  They can help discourage an enemy CV from attacking a lone ship, but they don't stop an attack.  They simply don't shoot down many planes.

Grouping up for overlapping AA is MUCH more effective.  I will attack almost any ship alone when playing CV, regardless of fighters.  However, I will not attack a group of ships with at least 1 strong AA boat in it unless there is no other choice.

Happy Hunting

Oink! And by the way, that make these "fighters" be "spotters", operating more or less as artillery spotters. Not very realistic but this is a game. Goltz

[CVLUL]
Members
323 posts
14,936 battles

Grouping up for overlapping AA is MUCH more effective

LOL, no, actually its not. All AA is laughable atm

• Meh 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,729 posts
12 hours ago, Landing_Skipper said:

A Kansas sank himself shooting at my Lexington today because I wasn't dropping fighters on him when he thought I should. 

I wonder if that was the same guy who shot at me a couple of days ago because I was spotting a DD and not dropping fighters on him? Was he already pink? The guy that shot me turned pink. He was in an ARP Yamato so he had some real money invested that he is going to lose when his account is banned if he keeps the teamkilling up.

Members
2,030 posts
52 battles
12 hours ago, Penguinattack27 said:

I actually like dropping fighters near friendly destroyers and ships with bad aa.

Congratulations! You have just given away the position of your teammate. All the enemy CV now needs to do is to despawn your fighter with his own, granting a free shot on your teammate who you have just served to him on a silver platter.

Fighters are in 99% of all situations completely worthless for air-to-air purposes. Attempting to provide air cover for your teammates is not only a waste of time but more often than not harmful to your chance of winning.

• Boring 1

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
902 posts
7,077 battles
14 hours ago, Penguinattack27 said:

I actually like dropping fighters near friendly destroyers and ships with bad aa. I agree that spotting enemy destroyers with fighters is easier and a good tactic, but being helpful and saving a teammate a bit of health is nice. If fighters were to follow the ship it was dropped nearest to that would be a good incentive and way to make fighters more team oriented.

1 hour ago, El2aZeR said:

Congratulations! You have just given away the position of your teammate. All the enemy CV now needs to do is to despawn your fighter with his own, granting a free shot on your teammate who you have just served to him on a silver platter.

Fighters are in 99% of all situations completely worthless for air-to-air purposes. Attempting to provide air cover for your teammates is not only a waste of time but more often than not harmful to your chance of winning.

There are times to drop fighters over a ship and a lot of times not to.

While elazer knows that they are worthless mostly for AA purposes, the tactic he mentioned in the first paragraph isn't the common knowledge he appears to be assuming.

Penguin, I recommend using a app like potato alert or matchmaker monitor. If the enemy cv has 200 games and averages 2100 damage in a lexington, go ahead drop the fighter on him if it makes sense.