You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Dr_Venture

If you struggle with addiction READ THIS

57 comments in this topic

[SALVO]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,103 posts
6,075 battles

I've seen the Santa hate threads, but some of these threads don't get to the core of the overall problem. As someone who has struggled with addiction, I'll happily out myself to help a few people (IE responsibility statement). I like this game, I like supporting this game, but I don't like the predatory nature of loot boxes, more so when I know for a FACT they are designed to prey on people who struggle with addiction - this is a hill I will die on.

Do not waste money on the Santa crates, they have proven to be rigged.

You may be tempted to "just buy a few" because "no harm is done" but the nature of your personality will keep you buying more and more because well you think the win is around the corner. That win is not around the corner, and if you win by the time you win that rare ship you want - you will have spent so much money owning that ship won't overshadow the guilt and remorse of whaling so hard on some pixels. That ship will not complete your life, that ship will not fill a void, that ship is not a fix.

YOU WILL NOT GET THE SHIP YOU WANT

I want the Enterprise, I see people winning the Enterprise, but I know statistically I will NEVER get the Enterprise. 

PM me if you want to talk to someone, and keep you from making a mistake. I will maintain TOTAL ANONYMITY. 

• Cool 26
  • Thanks 17

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
12,313 posts
17,497 battles

My strat has always been to always get all of the low tier prem ships through out the year. They are usually very cheap and not a issue for me. I purposely leave several high tier ships on the table for the Santa crates. This has worked out fairly well for me every year. So for me when I get Santa crates the ships I get are always from super containers because I have all of the high probability ships. I also max out all of the free crates every year and usually do not buy many crates outright unless I am gifted gold. My understanding of how the loot table works as always been what Flamu shows in is video.

I usually recommend if you spend that you spend on sure things and not on crates unless you are very happy with everything in the loot table. If you want to get crates always do it at the end of the event, open all of the free crates before you start buying them. Don't just focus on the ships I have received a lot of prem time from these. 

This year I will drop most of my money on the dockyard event since that is basically the way to buy steel this year. 

End of year event in Wows is always the best sale of the year. Read everything on the event and make a plan on what you are going to take advantage of and stick to your plan. There is a ton of stuff for free so don't sweat it and have fun. You do not "need" to spend anything.

Don't let the loot crates ruin your experience don't be a rat in a Skinner box or a retiree at a slot machine lol.

• Cool 1

[PMWC1]
Members
209 posts
6,829 battles

As with anything you need to read the fine print and understand what you are buying.  I’m surprised how many people click buy without fully understanding in this game as evidenced with all the B ships not working for doubloons threads.

Expect the lowest reward first because the chances of getting Makarov vs Missouri are not the same.

I bought a lot of crates last year and planned to again this year.  I calculated the doubloon cost per ship from crate drops and if a ship was cheaper in the armory, shop, etc I got it there to remove it from the pool.

• Thanks 1

[SALVO]
6,103 posts
6,075 battles

I posted this because people know the odds are bad, they have read the fine print, but that little voice that has caused them so much pain tells them to buy anyway. 

It's truly a dark world when people are powerless over alcohol, drugs, sex, and even loot boxes (which is gambling.)

[FOXY]
Members
1,211 posts
5,765 battles
Just now, Dr_Venture said:

I posted this because people know the odds are bad, they have read the fine print, but that little voice that has caused them so much pain tells them to buy anyway. 

It's truly a dark world when people are powerless over alcohol, drugs, sex, and even loot boxes (which is gambling.)

Truth. the addiction to gambling is pretty harmful like the others you mentioned.

[TFFOX]
Members
924 posts
2,121 battles
7 minutes ago, paradat said:

My strat has always been to always get all of the low tier prem ships through out the year.

me too. have gotten Tachibana L, Albany, and Charleston

Members
3,354 posts
17,047 battles

Here's the solution.
1) Make a list of the top 2-3 ships you want.
2) Go to an online hobby store like Megahobby.com  or local store.
3) Look up 1/700 scale model ships  (smaller more affordable) https://www.megahobby.com/categories/model-ships/1-700-scale.html
and 1/350 scale model ships (larger, more detail but more pricy) https://www.megahobby.com/categories/model-ships/1-350-scale.html
4) Find your ships, buy some paints and glue with the model
5) Spend your Christmas building warships and have something to show for it afterwards. You will be productive and have it for years to come. 

The models and supplies will cost you the same or less than gambling hundreds on crates. 

• Cool 6

[A-D-F]
8,270 posts
5 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

Here's the solution.
1) Make a list of the top 2-3 ships you want.
2) Go to an online hobby store like Megahobby.com  or local store.
3) Look up 1/700 scale model ships  (smaller more affordable) https://www.megahobby.com/categories/model-ships/1-700-scale.html
and 1/350 scale model ships (larger, more detail but more pricy) https://www.megahobby.com/categories/model-ships/1-350-scale.html
4) Find your ships, buy some paints and glue with the model
5) Spend your Christmas building warships and have something to show for it afterwards. You will be productive and have it for years to come. 

The models and supplies will cost you the same or less than gambling hundreds on crates. 

I don't want to build model ships. 

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
6,103 posts
6,075 battles
Just now, Burnsy said:

I don't want to build model ships.

I've got a bunch of Gunpla in the basement. 

My Santa crate money is being spent somewhere else.

[A-D-F]
8,270 posts
3 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

Well, there's always Vodka

Just saying, it's kind of like telling someone who wants to play football, to sit at home and sew footballs.  Sure, they like footballs but....it's the game they want to play.

Members
3,354 posts
17,047 battles
6 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

Just saying, it's kind of like telling someone who wants to play football, to sit at home and sew footballs.  Sure, they like footballs but....it's the game they want to play.

No it's not! Maybe in Bizarro World. 

It's like telling someone to buy something tangible as appose to spending their time stressed out gambling for something they have little chance of getting. The OP's post is about gambling. If "it's the game they want to play" they can do it for free. I have 46 premium ships, many high tier and rare and I never paid a dime for them. 

[A-D-F]
8,270 posts
4 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

No it's not! Maybe in Bizarro World. 

It's like telling someone to buy something tangible as appose to spending their time stressed out gambling for something they have little chance of getting. The OP's post is about gambling. If "it's the game they want to play" they can do it for free. I have 46 premium ships, many high tier and rare and I never paid a dime for them. 

You are misunderstanding.  It's the game of gambling that they want to play.  The thrill of the hunt for them, IS the game.

Sitting around gluing plastic pieces together, is completely unrelated.

• Cool 1

Members
3,354 posts
17,047 battles
2 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

You are misunderstanding.  It's the game of gambling that they want to play.  The thrill of the hunt for them, IS the game.

Sitting around gluing plastic pieces together, is completely unrelated. 

Sitting around gluing plastic pieces together while drinking Vodka. Totally underrated 

Edited by STINKWEED_
  • Haha 1

[A-D-F]
8,270 posts
Just now, STINKWEED_ said:

Sitting around gluing plastic pieces together, is completely unrelated while drinking Vodka. Totally underrated 

I don't think telling people with addiction problems to add alcohol is good advice. :Smile_teethhappy:

• Haha 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
6,350 posts
22,151 battles
45 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

I've seen the Santa hate threads, but some of these threads don't get to the core of the overall problem. As someone who has struggled with addiction, I'll happily out myself to help a few people (IE responsibility statement). I like this game, I like supporting this game, but I don't like the predatory nature of loot boxes, more so when I know for a FACT they are designed to prey on people who struggle with addiction - this is a hill I will die on.

Do not waste money on the Santa crates, they have proven to be rigged.

You may be tempted to "just buy a few" because "no harm is done" but the nature of your personality will keep you buying more and more because well you think the win is around the corner. That win is not around the corner, and if you win by the time you win that rare ship you want - you will have spent so much money owning that ship won't overshadow the guilt and remorse of whaling so hard on some pixels. That ship will not complete your life, that ship will not fill a void, that ship is not a fix.

YOU WILL NOT GET THE SHIP YOU WANT

I want the Enterprise, I see people winning the Enterprise, but I know statistically I will NEVER get the Enterprise. 

PM me if you want to talk to someone, and keep you from making a mistake. I will maintain TOTAL ANONYMITY. 

As a struggling addict, I thank you.

I wanted the Paolo Emilio so bad I reset 3 dd lines....

Then struggled to go up the lines fast enough, currently at tier 8 and 2 on tier 9....

it costs me $400 i couldn't afford to FEXP...

the I must have it has replaced my other addiction .

The air containers have the best drop rate for CV's.  I got Enterprise, graff zepplin and ark royal.

• Thanks 1

[IMP]
350 posts
5,651 battles

It is important to remind people that Wargaming is actively trying to milk people with gambling addictions AND they also want create new people with said addictions. There are certain psychological structures behind all of this, see how they're writing their articles about the crates, see how the rarest ships are at the forefront of their article, see how they make you believe that you even have a chance at getting rare ships like Fujin or Giulio, the fact that these ships were manufactured, sold and then removed from the store for being "not properly balanced" is ALL intentional, they created said ships with overpowered statistics to sell them later.. hidden behind countless boxes with random content in them.

Don't get deceived by their words, they want you to spend and then spend some little more. See how they're saying that certain ships are going to be removed from next year's crates? It's all intentional, they want you to feel the urge, the manufactured need to get that Nikolai I, so you open up your wallet and give your hard earned money to them.

Wargaming is already a multi-million company, ridiculously succesful thanks to World of Tanks. They have money, they have a lot of money, they can do whatever they please with it. They're not asking for your money to "keep the servers alive" as if this was some indie game with 2 or 3 guys working on it, the CEOs of WG are millionaires, very rich people. They don't want money, they want all of it.

It's sickening, they want to maximize their earnings at the cost of the mental sanity of some people.

Want to know what is worse? None of the things we "own" in this game are truly ours. That includes me and my premiums, do I think that Roma is mine? It isn't, it's theirs. Same goes for those who got Enterprise, Missouri or whatever rare ship in lootboxes. We gave them our money, they lent us some virtual content. When WG decides to pull the plug on this game, "our" ships are gone, forever, never to return. You lost them, I lost them. This is a game, but it's also a service. Keep that in mind when you're thinking about spending cash here, I've learned it the hard way...

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 2

Beta Testers
3,280 posts
26,944 battles

One addiction I will never break is eating good foods and drinks...................

[SALVO]
6,103 posts
6,075 battles
2 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

As a struggling addict, I thank you.

The air containers have the best drop rate for CV's.  I got Enterprise, graff zepplin and ark royal.

I tried that last time around, and I got totalled hosed and felt terrible for a week. 

[A-D-F]
8,270 posts
4 minutes ago, Torenico said:

It's sickening, they want to maximize their earnings at the cost of the mental sanity of some people.

Everyone is responsible for themselves and their actions.  It's not up to WG (or any company) to "save" anyone from themselves.  It's not their personal responsibility to lookout for the best interest of everyone who happens to play their game.

Some rando company can do whatever they want and there isn't some magical limitation on the amount of money that they are "allowed" to make. 

• Thanks 1
  • Meh 3

[SALVO]
6,103 posts
6,075 battles
3 minutes ago, Torenico said:

It is important to remind people that Wargaming is actively trying to milk people with gambling addictions AND they also want create new people with said addictions. There are certain psychological structures behind all of this, see how they're writing their articles about the crates, see how the rarest ships are at the forefront of their article, see how they make you believe that you even have a chance at getting rare ships like Fujin or Giulio, the fact that these ships were manufactured, sold and then removed from the store for being "not properly balanced" is ALL intentional, they created said ships with overpowered statistics to sell them later.. hidden behind countless boxes with random content in them.

Don't get deceived by their words, they want you to spend and then spend some little more. See how they're saying that certain ships are going to be removed from next year's crates? It's all intentional, they want you to feel the urge, the manufactured need to get that Nikolai I, so you open up your wallet and give your hard earned money to them.

Wargaming is already a multi-million company, ridiculously succesful thanks to World of Tanks. They have money, they have a lot of money, they can do whatever they please with it. They're not asking for your money to "keep the servers alive" as if this was some indie game with 2 or 3 guys working on it, the CEOs of WG are millionaires, very rich people. They don't want money, they want all of it.

The crates have terrible RNG

The crates are proven rigged

The crates claim to have the chance (first and foremost) to have good ships inside

------

This company doesn't care about its player base IN-THE-LEAST.

[IMP]
350 posts
5,651 battles
2 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

Everyone is responsible for themselves and their actions.  It's not up to WG (or any company) to "save" anyone from themselves.

Some rando company can do whatever they want and there isn't some magical limitation on the amount of money that they are "allowed" to make. 

The company is reponsible first, then comes the individual. Some individuals, myself included, don't have real control over their spendings, sometimes I make some mistakes. But it is the company that creates the "need" to get people to spend, know what I mean?

It's what their marketing department does, why do you think they study psychology? To get people to consume, and the more they consume well.. the better it is for them. You can't shift the blame on the individuals for that, we're talking about addictions here.

[A-D-F]
8,270 posts
1 minute ago, Dr_Venture said:

The crates have terrible RNG

The crates are proven rigged

The crates claim to have the chance (first and foremost) to have good ships inside

------

This company doesn't care about its player base IN-THE-LEAST.

It's a business.  Every business on the plant has one end goal.  Make as much money as possible.  Everything they do, serves that purpose in some way.

There isn't anything wrong with that.

• Thanks 1
  • Meh 3

Members
3,664 posts
42,334 battles
39 minutes ago, Princess_Daystar said:

Truth. the addiction to gambling is pretty harmful like the others you mentioned.

Yes, very harmful. Like the others you mention. I add Twinkies, tacos, Chinese food, and social media. 

Also Pokémon, Azur Lane, Certain plush toys, chicken nuggets, and CVs. 

Edited by SteelRain_Rifleman