You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.

Testing the Shortlist theory.  

218 members have voted

1. 1. If you got a ship from Mega or Big gift containers did it match the shortlist theory?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't call me shorty (for anyone not gambling but wants to participate)

106 comments in this topic

Members
313 posts
25 battles

So this theory posted on this reddit thread has rapidly gained a lot of interest and lots of confirmation. So. SCIENCE!

Before opening any Santa's Mega Gifts: Did you already own *ANY* of these ships: Duca d'Aosta, Yūdachi, Vanguard or Ochakov?

Likewise before opening any Santa's Big Gifts: Did you already own *ANY* of these ships Admiral MakarovCalifornia or Orkan

The theory is if you get a ship then it will choose one of these 3 or 4 ships (depending on the gift).  I *believe* this ship should appear from that gift container.*

BUT if you already have it then you will instead get a super container (with I believe the super container animation)* with a ship you don't already have from the far longer 107 ship list.

So in my case I already have Duca d'Aosta (from a Santa Gift from last year... oddly enough...) so it's possible for me to get *any* ship from the full list if I buy a Mega Gift Container and get lucky. But I should be unsurprised if I end up with Yūdachi, Vanguard or Ochakov (which I don't have)

However as I don't have Makarov, California or Orkan, then by the short list rule the first ship I get must be one of them if I open a Big gift and get a ship. After getting at least one I can again get any ship on the list.

This is obviously clearer if you open the containers one at a time but also full results are also interesting.

So if you've opened Mega or Big gifts this year and you got at least one ship:
Did it follow this rule? Please tell us.
Do we have anyone who doesn't have any ship from the relevant short list who gets another ship first? Please tell us what you got.

Edit: *A note on the gift crate vs supercontainer animation. As any unowned shortlisted ship could *also* come out of a super container if they're a ship that the player doesn't own so I'm less sure how important the animation is. It's more I don't expect *any* other ship to come directly out of a gift container animation aside the 3 or 4 from the shortlist than never expecting any from the short list to come from the super container..

Edit 2: Likewise short listed ships were specifically mentioned in previous years 2016 Christmas Box  2017 Christmas Box. But not from 2018 Loot Box.

Edit 3. I've posted a clone with a poll on this topic on my native EU server, for any interested.

Edited by SoothingWhaleSongEU
Clarified about supercontainer animation.
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[Y0L0W]
Members
579 posts
18,788 battles

Wonder how many people working at WG will press the no button.

• Funny 2
  • Haha 6

[META_]
Members
169 posts
2,646 battles

I owned none of the "shortlist" ships and only 18 total ships from the drop list.

From my Big Gifts, I got Makarov, followed by a supercontainer.

From my Mega Gifts, I got Aosta and Yudachi, then four supercontainers (the second of which had Vanguard), then Ochakov, followed by 3 more supercontainers.

Edited by Fel0niusMonk
  • Funny 1

[RCNW3]
Members
1,947 posts
20,380 battles

Bought a 20 pack of the Bigs - have most ships, but do not have the Orkan (so I sorta expected that)

11 containers of Camo

5 flag containers

2 coal - 15,00 total

1 1,000 doubloons 

1 ship - Enterprise - the only rare ship I do not own, but I don't play CVs - so a surprise - but was not what I was looking for

Done for buying containers - I have in the past bought quite a few - especially in the days of doubloons for duplicates - but really don't need to spend money on camos -   

[KOTSB]
Members
204 posts
10,740 battles
8 minutes ago, Panzer1113 said:

Bought a 20 pack of the Bigs - have most ships, but do not have the Orkan (so I sorta expected that)

11 containers of Camo

5 flag containers

2 coal - 15,00 total

1 1,000 doubloons 

1 ship - Enterprise - the only rare ship I do not own, but I don't play CVs - so a surprise - but was not what I was looking for

Done for buying containers - I have in the past bought quite a few - especially in the days of doubloons for duplicates - but really don't need to spend money on camos -   

Did the ship come in a supercontainer or regular? If super containers, then the theory holds. If regular than it does not.

Edited by OilyBusiness

[RCNW3]
Members
1,947 posts
20,380 battles
1 minute ago, OilyBusiness said:

Did the ship come in a supercontainer or regular? If super containers, then the theory holds. If regular than it does not.

came in supercontainer

Members
313 posts
25 battles
1 minute ago, OilyBusiness said:

Actually it's a bit more complicated as the above ships could *also* come out of a supercontainer if they're a ship that the player doesn't own so I'm less sure how important the animation is.

I think more is that I don't expect *any* other ship to come directly out of a gift container animation aside the 3 or 4 from the shortlist.

[PHD]
Members
1,063 posts
6,083 battles

It has been proven already. There is nothing more to test.

Check every single "opening Santa containers" video in youtube. All of them will show the same thing. 

[CVA16]
Members
5,856 posts
18,011 battles

I did notice 2 different VU's in the team lists of two games this AM. Both proud owners claimed they just "won" them and were trying them out. 

[DVYJC]
Members
3,656 posts
8,656 battles

Yes, but my results were generally supportive of the idea but not the specifics.

I only buy Big Containers. So the shortlist for me is theorized as being Admiral Makarov, California, and Orkan. I owned Admiral Makarov, but neither of the other two. I got five ships from sixty Big Containers, and the first three were supercontainer re-rolls. The fourth was California, which did drop from a Santa crate. So my first three containers I believe I really only had a 1/9 chance of getting those first three re-roll supercontainers in a row. Possible, but fairly unlikely.

Now, something that may also be of interest is that while I did not buy any Mega containers, I owned all the ships from that shortlist as well with the exception of Ochakov... which I got from a re-roll supercontainer.

[WKY04]
Members
587 posts
11,678 battles

I literally got all 4 short list ships from 20 mega containers then got a gallant. Opened them all at once because I didn’t know anything about a shortlist or whatever so can’t say anything about whether gallant came from a super container.

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
4,077 posts
11,783 battles
1 hour ago, SoothingWhaleSongEU said:

So this theory posted on this reddit thread has rapidly gained a lot of interest and lots of confirmation. So. SCIENCE!

Before opening any Santa's Mega Gifts: Did you already own *ANY* of these ships: Duca d'Aosta, Yūdachi, Vanguard or Ochakov?

Likewise before opening any Santa's Big Gifts: Did you already own *ANY* of these ships Admiral MakarovCalifornia or Orkan

The theory is if you get a ship then it will choose one of these 3 or 4 ships (depending on the gift).  I *believe* this ship should appear from that gift container.*

BUT if you already have it then you will instead get a super container (with I believe the super container animation)* with a ship you don't already have from the far longer 107 ship list.

So in my case I already have Duca d'Aosta (from a Santa Gift from last year... oddly enough...) so it's possible for me to get *any* ship from the full list if I buy a Mega Gift Container and get lucky. But I should be unsurprised if I end up with Yūdachi, Vanguard or Ochakov (which I don't have)

However as I don't have Makarov, California or Orkan, then by the short list rule the first ship I get must be one of them if I open a Big gift and get a ship. After getting at least one I can again get any ship on the list.

This is obviously clearer if you open the containers one at a time but also full results are also interesting.

Do we have anyone who doesn't have any ship from the relevant short list who gets another ship first? Please tell us what you got.

Edit: *A note on the gift crate vs supercontainer animation. As any unowned shortlisted ship could *also* come out of a super container if they're a ship that the player doesn't own so I'm less sure how important the animation is. It's more I don't expect *any* other ship to come directly out of a gift container animation aside the 3 or 4 from the shortlist than never expecting any from the short list to come from the super container..

There's no bacon in the poll and I don't think the short list is a theory it's always been done this way . I think Ducky pointed it out that this year for some reason they didn't include the short list in the original post but there's always been a short list no ? 

• Cool 1

[USCGC]
[USCGC]
Members
826 posts
7,422 battles
10 minutes ago, clammboy said:

There's no bacon in the poll and I don't think the short list is a theory it's always been done this way . I think Ducky pointed it out that this year for some reason they didn't include the short list in the original post but there's always been a short list no ? 

I don’t recall seing a short list last year, and I didn’t think they were rigged either.

Finding out that they are rigged, I will not be buying any containers this year, or ever again for that matter. Don’t think I’ll buy into this dockyard either. Sucks that WG is getting super greedy and more scummy with thier business practices. 

• Cool 1

Members
3,354 posts
16,999 battles

So.... do you really think a company that rigs the Santa Crates wouldn't rig the MM with an algorithm ?  Keep dreaming.

• Cool 3
  • Haha 1
  • Boring 1

[MUDDX]
Banned
429 posts
1,082 battles

I haven't bought any yet! Why?

They are gifts to be given to others, not hoarded for oneself.

Get in the Spirit fellow Captains. Send a gift to a friend, a clan mate or add a new to forum Captain as a friend and send them a gift!

• Cool 1

[MUDDX]
Banned
429 posts
1,082 battles
2 hours ago, SoothingWhaleSongEU said:

Please tell us what you got.

You have been sent a gift by me. Ho Ho Ho! May it serve you well.

• Thanks 1

Members
313 posts
25 battles
8 minutes ago, Mudd_H_F__XX said:

That's exceptionally kind of you, thank you.

Although I am a little abashed to admit this is my alt account specifically to...

*checks posting record*

Talk about dispersion and apparently stir up scandal across the pond.

[MUDDX]
Banned
429 posts
1,082 battles
7 minutes ago, SoothingWhaleSongEU said:

Although I am a little abashed to admit this is my alt account specifically to...

You are welcome!

It is my pleasure to stir the pot on all 4 servers. That is why I have accounts on all 4. Since you too have cross the ponds accounts you shouldn't have any problem gifting others.

Ho Ho Ho, Merry Christmas.

[5D4]
Members
67 posts
4,588 battles

Yep, got a couple stacks of Mega crates and sure enough the first ship to drop was Vanguard. Next batch I got the Ochakov and Yudachi. 20 Big crates: Makarov, Orkan and one supercontainer (ark royal)

Members
4,321 posts
3,255 battles
3 hours ago, SoothingWhaleSongEU said:

Edit 2: Likewise short listed ships were specifically mentioned in previous years 2016 Christmas Box  2017 Christmas Box. But not from 2018 Loot Box.

I bought several containers and this theory didn't work for me. The boxes worked the same as last year; you got ships from the list filling from the bottom tiers up. You get all the tier 5s, then the tier 6s, 7s, and that's when I pulled the Ochakov, after I got the Champagne. I have most of the list from last year, and it definitely filled by tier. 

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
4,077 posts
11,783 battles
43 minutes ago, Mudd_H_F__XX said:

32 minutes ago, SoothingWhaleSongEU said:

That's exceptionally kind of you, thank you.

*checks posting record*

Talk about dispersion and apparently stir up scandal across the pond.

You have both been sent a gift by me for exemplifying the true Christmas spirit .  Ho Ho 

Edited by clammboy
  • Funny 1
  • Thanks 2

[ARGSY]
Members
22,211 posts
16,179 battles
3 minutes ago, Wombatmetal said:

that's when I pulled the Ochakov, after I got the Champagne

To clarify: you pulled the Champagne directly from a Santa Crate without it throwing you a reroll supercontainer?

Members
4,321 posts
3,255 battles
4 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

To clarify: you pulled the Champagne directly from a Santa Crate without it throwing you a reroll supercontainer?

Not sure, I opened all crates. Lazy. But having worked through Tier 8 I am on Tier 9, though having spent all my planned money have stopped. I did pull the Nuestrashimy

Edited by Wombatmetal