Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SerahKhan

Next Steel Ship; Shikishima, FDR, Sommers, Others ? Which one to Pick

30 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

187
[-HEL-]
Members
457 posts

Hi all

It takes me at least a year to accumulate enough steel to buy a ship;

I got Stalingrad last Year, Black before that, so it takes me a while....

Info

1: Shikishima 6 gun Yamato-clone: I like Yamato in both Normal and ARP Livery; both in PVE and PVP. I have heard , since I am a super-BB Brawler that Secondary Shikishima is a possible thing ?

2: FDR: CV's I am still neutral on, but the idea of a completely OP FDR CV to compensate for my lesser skills in CV's has some attraction...

3- Sommers: I like DD's, but I have so many good ones already... I also Have T9 Benham, T8 HSF Harekaze, and all Tech Tree DD's from all trees...

4- New 16 gun UK RN Cruiser, no reviews out yet, besides I have MINO...

 

I have a coupon expiring on the 19th (?) , and I cannot use on Neutrashimmy until next Year (good 1 Wargaming...)

 

Coal ship wise I have all of them except the ones added this week (and I have 1 million coal besides...)

 

I would really like to hear your thoughts, and ideas, I am running out of time..

 

Thx all

Jean

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
842
[CLUMP]
Members
1,189 posts
1,495 battles

If you suck on CVs don't get the FDR  and think it will make you magically better on CVs you have been warned :Smile_trollface:

I don't know anything about Sommers so yeah :fish_sleep:

Shikishima is nice :fish_cute_2:

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
349
[WK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,179 posts
16,540 battles

@SerahKhan

 

As you know Shikishima is a Yamato hull, so brawl at your own risk.  If you wanted a comparison between her and Yamato, Yamato is flat out better.  More accurate guns at all ranges, but most notable at long range even without her LM.  Shikishima will troll you so hard with her guns at times.  There are times I've taking long range shots that go out so accurately that they'd make Siegfried and Georgia blush, and throw a fit, but land in such a manner that pre-accuracy buff Mikasa would call and yell at me for taking her title of most inaccurate ship away. :Smile_hiding: Expect some "interesting" shot patterns at times but when you do land some hits, if they don't overpen.....:cap_haloween:  Shiki's secondaries are better though.

Despite her short comings, I do not regret one bit getting Shikishima, and she's my absolute favorite gal right now.  I haven't had her very long (got her maybe 2-3 patches after she showed up), but I've already amassed a little over 750k xp on her, all in Co-Op.  Huh, maybe that is a while ago? :cap_hmm:  Sure doesn't feel like it to me, that is just how much I enjoy her. :Smile_playing:

 

I cannot help you much with the other gals.  Going off of the ratio's of classes you've used that I saw in your Profile:

 

FDR:

I'd have to suggest you shy away from FDR.  Ultimately that will be your choice, just do not expect to magically be better if you go for her.  Unless you use CV's a lot in Operations (which are not recorded), gain more XP using CV's in general before you splurge steel on FDR.  Again it will ultimately be your choice (it is your steel to spend after all), and I cannot blame you if you choose her as she looks like fun.  She's my next steel gal unless another one shows up that catches my fancy. :Smile_Default:

Somers:

She may be more to your liking but I've heard some say Somers is so/so.  I still intend to get her as she does look like she is a fun gal, but will be after FDR. :Smile_playing:

Plymouth:

She may be a better secondary option for you.  Plymouth looks neat and if FDR wasn't on the list, it would be a close one between her and Somers, simply because she also looks like fun.  Squishy, but fun.  I would probably end up flipping a coin on that one. :Smile_veryhappy:

 

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,972
[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,167 posts
22,715 battles

I'm a DD main so Somers is my choice. It also takes me a year to save up the steel for a ship.

Hoped to get Neutered Shimy too but will wait. Prob pick her up next month or during/after the snowflakes event. 

I couldn't tell you about the rest although I think Plymouth is an interesting option.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
269
[IMP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
361 posts
5,652 battles

You are not interested in Bourgogne?

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
187
[-HEL-]
Members
457 posts

Wow Great advice all the way...

Hasn't Bourgogne been a bit power crept with all the 457mm/460mm super BB's , and their armor honestly ?

 

Taking all your comments, Steel wise they're a'int nothing that tickles my fancy like Stalingrad originally did...

 

Note: Paying 23,000 Steel for a ShiKi that is not even better than my Yamato (both Yammy's + my Musashi seems a bit of a waste no ?)

Need more advice :)

Regards

Jean

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
349
[WK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,179 posts
16,540 battles

@SerahKhan


Like you I have Yamato, ARP Yamato and Musashi, and I enjoy them all.  Prior to getting Shikishima I used Yamato a fair bit, but if you told me to choose just one ship, I would hands down choose....all of them.  What?  No way in hell would I give up any of my gals. :Smile-_tongue:   Seriously though, for me Shikishima (for lack of a better word) "clicks" so well with me.  However, this may not be the case with you.  Example: I know a couple of folks who hate Atlanta but love Flint, and vica-versa.  Hopefully someone who uses/used her quite a bit in Random Battles will come along and give you advice in regards to that mode.  In Co-Op however, I've found her to be a lot of fun and performs very well there. :Smile_playing::Smile_teethhappy:

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,795
[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,365 posts
22,158 battles
2 hours ago, SerahKhan said:

Hi all

It takes me at least a year to accumulate enough steel to buy a ship;

I got Stalingrad last Year, Black before that, so it takes me a while....

Info

1: Shikishima 6 gun Yamato-clone: I like Yamato in both Normal and ARP Livery; both in PVE and PVP. I have heard , since I am a super-BB Brawler that Secondary Shikishima is a possible thing ?

2: FDR: CV's I am still neutral on, but the idea of a completely OP FDR CV to compensate for my lesser skills in CV's has some attraction...

3- Sommers: I like DD's, but I have so many good ones already... I also Have T9 Benham, T8 HSF Harekaze, and all Tech Tree DD's from all trees...

4- New 16 gun UK RN Cruiser, no reviews out yet, besides I have MINO...

 

I have a coupon expiring on the 19th (?) , and I cannot use on Neutrashimmy until next Year (good 1 Wargaming...)

 

Coal ship wise I have all of them except the ones added this week (and I have 1 million coal besides...)

 

I would really like to hear your thoughts, and ideas, I am running out of time..

 

Thx all

Jean

 

With the new captain skills comming;

The clear winner are carriers, followed by destroyers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1
[APEZ]
Members
9 posts
4,031 battles

I would suggest Bourgogne over the other ships, she has not really been power crept by the 457 BBs as her strength never really was her gun caliber.  Her strength lies in her MBRB and speed boost imo.  The ability to reposition quickly all over the map is very powerful as it allows you to get broadsides where the caliber of your guns is not as important.  I would definitely recommend watching some good BB players play Bourgogne before counting her out.  Potato Quality is an expert BB player, I would recommend watching him play some Bourgogne to understand its true power.  John_The_Ruthless also is a phenomenal player who I would also recommend watching as he does ships requests when he streams.

Either way I would definitely watch gameplay of all the ships extensively before making a choice.  I have Bourgogne and Black myself as my own two steel ships at the moment and I enjoy both very much.  I'm no mean BB player but I'm still averaging 142k per game in my Bourgogne.

I'll be getting Plymouth as my next steel ship for what it's worth but I'm a cruiser main so its not a hard choice to make.  I never got Stalingrad earlier because the play style does not suit me, it is far to stationary to be entertaining for me.

I'm sure you will be happy with whatever you choose!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,966
Alpha Tester
6,524 posts
3,306 battles
3 hours ago, SerahKhan said:

Hi all

It takes me at least a year to accumulate enough steel to buy a ship;

I got Stalingrad last Year, Black before that, so it takes me a while....

Info

1: Shikishima 6 gun Yamato-clone: I like Yamato in both Normal and ARP Livery; both in PVE and PVP. I have heard , since I am a super-BB Brawler that Secondary Shikishima is a possible thing ?

2: FDR: CV's I am still neutral on, but the idea of a completely OP FDR CV to compensate for my lesser skills in CV's has some attraction...

3- Sommers: I like DD's, but I have so many good ones already... I also Have T9 Benham, T8 HSF Harekaze, and all Tech Tree DD's from all trees...

4- New 16 gun UK RN Cruiser, no reviews out yet, besides I have MINO...

 

I have a coupon expiring on the 19th (?) , and I cannot use on Neutrashimmy until next Year (good 1 Wargaming...)

 

Coal ship wise I have all of them except the ones added this week (and I have 1 million coal besides...)

 

I would really like to hear your thoughts, and ideas, I am running out of time..

 

Thx all

Jean

 

Shikishima. Its guns are basically the game's version of ASMR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
292
[DIEBL]
Members
655 posts
8,523 battles

I’ve got about 39k steel and already have the Stalin.  I was about to pull the trigger on Shiki when I finally found out about Plymouth.  I’ve always thought how I’d rather have the Neptune at TX than the Mino since the line came out.

Now I’m just waiting on the coupon reset.  I am clearly biased, but I would suggest hopping on T7-9 british light cruiser and playing until you’re in a few top-tier games.  Figure out if you had fun, then try to imagine it with 4 extra guns and radar.

Sorry to be gushing about it, but it’s like an early christmas present.  Sometimes I feel the decisions WG make are so dumb and then they do this... and completely redeem themselves in my eyes.

So bring on CVs focusing me, being on a commander rework I probably will be bitter about, bring on through-the-nose citadels, but I’m gonna have me a boat I’ve wanted for a long time and even if it ends up being less that practically useful, it’s gonna get a ton of use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
738
[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
895 posts
7,049 battles

FDR is OP from what I've seen, but if you're not a CV person, I wouldn't do it. I do like my DDs and Somers is my only Steel ship; She's fun to be smoked up in, but I'm honestly having more fun in the Gearing. And if you want to be able to defend yourself from carriers, Somers ain't it. 

Shiki is probably your safest bet.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
786
[TOG]
Members
4,213 posts
25,138 battles

I haven't played CV's since the start of rebork. It's going to be a question if you're going to play seriously competitive or not. I'm going to hold off until the CO change in January to make my decision. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,976
[-BUI-]
Members
2,446 posts
6,435 battles

If you like CVs, the FDR seems pretty automatic, its what I'm saving for right now...sadly the snowflake event is gonna put me about 1500 short (with coupon)...pretty disappointed that T8 and T9 ships only provide 75 steel.   

Shikishima seems like a great choice IMO as well, and probably my 2nd choice if I had enough steel to get it.  

Somers is okay, but isn't great in the META you can expect to play these days with it having no AA to speak of.   Its something I wanna try, but its a long long ways away.

Plymouth seems like a waste to me, light cruisers are even worse to play than DDs without AA these days, they just get deleted the moment they are spotted because everyone knows how easily they blow up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
187
[-HEL-]
Members
457 posts
22 hours ago, 1Sherman said:

Shikishima. Its guns are basically the game's version of ASMR.

Meaning they are only 6 but very accurate ?

Worth the loss of 3 Barrels from Yamato ?

Thx

Jean

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
187
[-HEL-]
Members
457 posts
11 hours ago, Zenn3k said:

If you like CVs, the FDR seems pretty automatic, its what I'm saving for right now...sadly the snowflake event is gonna put me about 1500 short (with coupon)...pretty disappointed that T8 and T9 ships only provide 75 steel.   

Shikishima seems like a great choice IMO as well, and probably my 2nd choice if I had enough steel to get it.  

Somers is okay, but isn't great in the META you can expect to play these days with it having no AA to speak of.   Its something I wanna try, but its a long long ways away.

Plymouth seems like a waste to me, light cruisers are even worse to play than DDs without AA these days, they just get deleted the moment they are spotted because everyone knows how easily they blow up.

 

21 hours ago, PhosphorusForFun said:

I’ve got about 39k steel and already have the Stalin.  I was about to pull the trigger on Shiki when I finally found out about Plymouth.  I’ve always thought how I’d rather have the Neptune at TX than the Mino since the line came out.

Now I’m just waiting on the coupon reset.  I am clearly biased, but I would suggest hopping on T7-9 british light cruiser and playing until you’re in a few top-tier games.  Figure out if you had fun, then try to imagine it with 4 extra guns and radar.

Sorry to be gushing about it, but it’s like an early christmas present.  Sometimes I feel the decisions WG make are so dumb and then they do this... and completely redeem themselves in my eyes.

So bring on CVs focusing me, being on a commander rework I probably will be bitter about, bring on through-the-nose citadels, but I’m gonna have me a boat I’ve wanted for a long time and even if it ends up being less that practically useful, it’s gonna get a ton of use.

 

Plymouth makes me nervous.... 2 strikes from MVR, Cit City and you might be dead ?

Ive seen MvR's (Ger CV) delete DM's after 3 strikes....

Thoughrs ?

Jean

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,966
Alpha Tester
6,524 posts
3,306 battles
37 minutes ago, SerahKhan said:

Meaning they are only 6 but very accurate ?

Worth the loss of 3 Barrels from Yamato ?

Thx

Jean

Meaning that like ASMR, listening to them is very soothing.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
292
[DIEBL]
Members
655 posts
8,523 battles
5 hours ago, SerahKhan said:

 

 

Plymouth makes me nervous.... 2 strikes from MVR, Cit City and you might be dead ?

Ive seen MvR's (Ger CV) delete DM's after 3 strikes....

Thoughrs ?

Jean

I’ve been in those DMs myself and they’ve done the same to my Stalin and Moskva, so ... :/.

Smoke will help somewhat (especially in randoms) but I will admit I’m nervous about it as well.  Got to see some more footage since then and looks like it has trouble clearly T8 planes too.

So I am on the fence as well and somewhat happy my coupon isn’t restored yet.  I think it might come down to whether I decide the Shiki would replace my Ohio in CBs or not (not convinced it will by a fair margin).  

Hrm... I dunno. I suppose keep a very heavy eye on the captain skill rework.  Worst case scenario is you just let the coupon lapse, really.  If it takes a year to get the steel for one ship but there are two coupons per year, safer to allow the loss of the coupon than risk the steel, I’m thinking.

Best of luck!
 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
187
[-HEL-]
Members
457 posts
On 12/5/2020 at 4:21 AM, PhosphorusForFun said:

Hrm... I dunno. I suppose keep a very heavy eye on the captain skill rework.  Worst case scenario is you just let the coupon lapse, really.  If it takes a year to get the steel for one ship but there are two coupons per year, safer to allow the loss of the coupon than risk the steel, I’m thinking.

Best of luck!
 

Very good advice

I am very loath to waste a coupon though, and it expires on the 18th,,,

I honestly cannot decide what to do this time, STEEL wise

 

As for coal ships, Z-44 seem mediocre (new T9 Ger DD) and I have all but Marceau as coal ships..

Anyone else wishes to pipe in, go right ahead :)

 

Take care all

Jean

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,082
[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,572 posts
21,030 battles

Shikishima has much better AA than Yamato, but otherwise is pretty similar, and slightly more RNG-dependent.

FDR is pretty OP, but if you don't play CV, it's not the easiest thing to learn to aim in, especially the DBs. Risky choice, as CV effectiveness is more subject to change than other core classes.

Somers is a great torpedo DD. Highly recommended in all modes.

Bourgogne also highly versatile and recommendable with little reservation. Ammo switching is key. Play it like a very large cruiser.

Plymouth, don't bother. It's extremely niche, and has several weaknesses that can be frustrating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
712
[NUWES]
Members
3,292 posts
11,868 battles
On 12/3/2020 at 8:53 PM, SerahKhan said:

Hi all

It takes me at least a year to accumulate enough steel to buy a ship;

I got Stalingrad last Year, Black before that, so it takes me a while....

Info

1: Shikishima 6 gun Yamato-clone: I like Yamato in both Normal and ARP Livery; both in PVE and PVP. I have heard , since I am a super-BB Brawler that Secondary Shikishima is a possible thing ?

2: FDR: CV's I am still neutral on, but the idea of a completely OP FDR CV to compensate for my lesser skills in CV's has some attraction...

3- Sommers: I like DD's, but I have so many good ones already... I also Have T9 Benham, T8 HSF Harekaze, and all Tech Tree DD's from all trees...

4- New 16 gun UK RN Cruiser, no reviews out yet, besides I have MINO...

 

I have a coupon expiring on the 19th (?) , and I cannot use on Neutrashimmy until next Year (good 1 Wargaming...)

 

Coal ship wise I have all of them except the ones added this week (and I have 1 million coal besides...)

 

I would really like to hear your thoughts, and ideas, I am running out of time..

 

Thx all

Jean

 

Bear in mind I have none of these yet. What I've heard and read is:

1. Shikishima - CC opinions vary on whether it is better or worse than Yammy. I think the net agreement is it isn't much of a difference and which one you prefer is a matter of personal opinion. People apparently really liked the sound of her guns firing though. Secondaries are possible but it still has Yammy's hull so ... good luck with that. I have no interest in this ship personally. It does nothing that Yammy doesn't already do other than sound better (apparently). 

2. FDR - I play Midway a lot and I've faced these a lot. IT is basically a Midway with more alpha and less ability to sustain pressure. Plane squadrons are bigger, tankier and slower with more damage per strike but longer return times on your planes. It differs from Midway in that it doesn't sent planes back to save them because they are too slow to return. It pretty much attacks with all of its waves then goes back and gets the next batch. Plus she looks great and the Skypirates look cool. This is what I plan on spending my steel on.

3. Somers - Kinda like Gearing but more geared (pun intended) to competitive play and less to randoms, where CVs are a thing. I play randoms mainly, I like Gearing, and I like having some AA to keep CVs from lingering over me (I use DFAA and build for AA). CVs are too ubiquitous in randoms. As I said, I play Midway a lot and I am more than happy to come say hi when I see a Somers because I know his AA won't even inconvenience me. This would still be my second choice for steel after FDR. 

4 - Plymouth - It's basically a super-Edinburgh that can smoke and radar. I've only see the CC videos on it but I don't see any reason for it over Minotaur in anything other than competitive. Plus it has much worse AA and from what I heard it lacks Mino's super heal. I'm not sure the smoke + radar thing is nearly as nice on T10 as it is on T7 with Belfast where radar is rare. T10 is swimming with radar. Any cruiser you can smoke + radar in Plymouth can radar you in return and blast your internals out. The ship is interesting. I know some people will want it, but not me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,344
[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,737 posts
7,264 battles

Not going to advise on anything else..  But if you are having a tough time in CVs..   FDR is not going to be OP for you.        

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,320
[-K-]
Beta Testers
5,657 posts
13,366 battles

Somers is basically a more agile Shimakaze with functionally better torpedoes. There are a few niches where Shimakaze is a better ship for the purpose, especially where it comes to striking at stationary battleships. But Somers will have torpedoes going out more often, they're a better combination of hard to spot and adequately ranged than any of Shimakaze's three options, and it is far better at avoiding damage if you're highly skilled at actively dodging.

Shikishima is superior to Yamato, according to detailed discussions I've had with excellent players who own her. They say the main battery performs better and the armour is somewhat more effective if you play it with detailed game mechanics knowledge.

FDR is unique and interesting, and I too am eager to own the ship despite being weaker in carriers and unlikely to play with it much. However, it requires an enormous amount of patience and map reading skill, and every single bad decision you make is far more costly than in any other carrier.

The new light cruiser Plymouth is not at all an appealing selection at this time, as the tradeoffs it offers versus Minotaur are the exact opposite of the ones that would make a well-played Minotaur better—if she got HE shells or something else significant, I would be compelled to make a second weighing of those tradeoffs. Frankly, the best thing you can do to make your Minotaur better is to stop taking smoke on her, and learn to open water weave. The agility is second to none, and you're easier to sink sitting still firing from smoke than being lit to all, moving erratically—instead, Plymouth lets you keep the smoke while getting a worse radar, in exchange for handicaps elsewhere. Master open water Minotaur and you get to have better radar, DPM and AA than a Plymouth, and survive better than if you tried to T10 Belfast in a ship that gets overmatched by everything with a calibre greater than 9".

 

In all honesty, none of these ships sound like they're worth a year of steel in your case. Better to divert steel for Thunderer or Georgia while you still can.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
187
[-HEL-]
Members
457 posts
19 minutes ago, Special_Kay said:

Somers is basically a more agile Shimakaze with functionally better torpedoes. There are a few niches where Shimakaze is a better ship for the purpose, especially where it comes to striking at stationary battleships. But Somers will have torpedoes going out more often, they're a better combination of hard to spot and adequately ranged than any of Shimakaze's three options, and it is far better at avoiding damage if you're highly skilled at actively dodging.

Shikishima is superior to Yamato, according to detailed discussions I've had with excellent players who own her. They say the main battery performs better and the armour is somewhat more effective if you play it with detailed game mechanics knowledge.

FDR is unique and interesting, and I too am eager to own the ship despite being weaker in carriers and unlikely to play with it much. However, it requires an enormous amount of patience and map reading skill, and every single bad decision you make is far more costly than in any other carrier.

The new light cruiser Plymouth is not at all an appealing selection at this time, as the tradeoffs it offers versus Minotaur are the exact opposite of the ones that would make a well-played Minotaur better—if she got HE shells or something else significant, I would be compelled to make a second weighing of those tradeoffs. Frankly, the best thing you can do to make your Minotaur better is to stop taking smoke on her, and learn to open water weave. The agility is second to none, and you're easier to sink sitting still firing from smoke than being lit to all, moving erratically—instead, Plymouth lets you keep the smoke while getting a worse radar, in exchange for handicaps elsewhere. Master open water Minotaur and you get to have better radar, DPM and AA than a Plymouth, and survive better than if you tried to T10 Belfast in a ship that gets overmatched by everything with a calibre greater than 9".

 

In all honesty, none of these ships sound like they're worth a year of steel in your case. Better to divert steel for Thunderer or Georgia while you still can.

I have all the coal ships and 1 million coal besides.  Still great advice and im still stuck 😇

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,320
[-K-]
Beta Testers
5,657 posts
13,366 battles
7 minutes ago, SerahKhan said:

I have all the coal ships and 1 million coal besides.  Still great advice and im still stuck 😇

Well in that case...

Shikishima would render your ARP Yamato purchase wasteful. For a non-pro CV player, FDR is a luxury port queen which you lack the steel wealth to justify. And Plymouth is still Plymouth.

Buy a Somers! I am completely biased towards it, but it's the Shimakaze you can love if you don't love your Shimakaze. Did I mention it literally lays the longest smoke in the game? Speed signal and special smoke module and engine boost, all taken together, lay down roughly 6km of smoke if you start at top speed and continue in a straight line.

But really, you could easily justify just sitting on your steel and waiting.

Edited by Special_Kay
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×