You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
LunchCutter

Why are BB's so ridiculously popular these days?

62 comments in this topic

[PT]
Members
967 posts
2,994 battles

They've always been the most populist class but the last few months they have been in plague proportions..

My tier 7 waiting room before there was 5 CV's 165 BB's's, 12 cruisers and 10 DD's... :( Then I had a tier 10 game, even worse... 

I play BB occasionally but it is a rather boring class, slow, lumbering things that fire randomly scattered shells in the vague direction where you're aiming them.. Heavily reliant on the RNG gods..

Just not sure why the class is booming?

• Cool 3
  • Haha 1
  • Boring 1

[TSG4]
[TSG4]
Volunteer Moderator
3,252 posts
16,579 battles
1 minute ago, LunchCutter said:

It because the USA bb line split

It always a spike in that ship when they are release .... same as the brit heavy cruiser splits, Russian cruiser line split

:Smile_facepalm:

• Cool 2

[SIM]
Members
5,585 posts
9,010 battles

Because BBs can typically do the best with absolutely no team support. It doesn’t mean that they can carry, but having a heal and big guns means that you can at least hang in and punch back for a couple of minutes while the rest of the team sits on their hands or runs away. Given the state of randoms, there’s some significant appeal in that. 

• Cool 5

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
8,417 posts
12,296 battles

because who can resist those big ships with big guns? beasts that delivered unmatched destruction to their enemies

• Thanks 1

[REVY]
Members
8,138 posts
6,118 battles
48 minutes ago, LunchCutter said:

They've always been the most populist class but the last few months they have been in plague proportions..

My tier 7 waiting room before there was 5 CV's 165 BB's's, 12 cruisers and 10 DD's... :( Then I had a tier 10 game, even worse... 

I play BB occasionally but it is a rather boring class, slow, lumbering things that fire randomly scattered shells in the vague direction where you're aiming them.. Heavily reliant on the RNG gods..

Perhaps the release of a new Battleship line should be your first clue.

Review of U.S. Battleship Branch
Yesterday25629

U.S. battleships Kansas, Minnesota, and Vermont have become available for all players to research.

Read our article below to learn how to effectively play these new steel giants.

Key Features of the Branch  Tactics  Commander Skills and Upgrades

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
888 posts
6,992 battles
12 minutes ago, MichiganEagle said:

I like...

...big...

...BOATS and I cannot lie.

Those shiny hulls I can't deny.

Perfect targets when I fly

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[PT]
Members
967 posts
2,994 battles
20 minutes ago, CaptainTeddybear said:

There is no defense against sky cancer.

Your best bet is too play a ship with a lot of health.

Well that's true, my Baltimore was murdered by cvs in a earlier game. 36 plane kills but I still ate multiple Torp's and about 90 rockets.

Back in the day the Balty was a no fly zone..

Edited by LunchCutter
  • Cool 1

Members
314 posts
25 battles

US BB tech tree split.
Black Friday Jean Bart B and Massachusetts B - these popular ships are super popular as people have "last chance to buy and also at a discounted price" (alongside Tirpiz B & ShinyHorse B).

[NH]
Members
0 posts
2 minutes ago, SoothingWhaleSongEU said:

US BB tech tree split.
Black Friday Jean Bart B and Massachusetts B - these popular ships are super popular as people have "last chance to buy and also at a discounted price" (alongside Tirpiz B & ShinyHorse B).

Is that when BBs become so popular? What about before that?

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,369 posts
13,031 battles

It's like this every time there's a new line of ships.

Happened Dirpitz weekend in a truly epic fashion.

Happened when the RN BB's were released

Happened when the German BB's were released.

, and it has nothing to do with CV's.

There's just something new, and it will return to normal fairly quickly.

Beta Testers
3,497 posts
5,943 battles
7 minutes ago, SgtBeltfed said:

, and it has nothing to do with CV's.

You' and everyone else are 1000% correct that the new lines and all the BF ships are inflating the numbers significantly.  But we were already in a bit of "bb heavy" meta IIRC.  So, I always assumed the BB heavy meta had some relation to the CV survivability and being the back situation going on with BBs.

Could be wrong on that though.  

[PT]
Members
967 posts
2,994 battles
1 hour ago, ObiphanKenobi said:

It because the USA bb line split

It always a spike in that ship when they are release .... same as the brit heavy cruiser splits, Russian cruiser line split

:Smile_facepalm:

Mainly seen Japanese and German fat wagons tho .

Members
3,648 posts
42,248 battles
1 hour ago, SkaerKrow said:

Because BBs can typically do the best with absolutely no team support. It doesn’t mean that they can carry, but having a heal and big guns means that you can at least hang in and punch back for a couple of minutes while the rest of the team sits on their hands or runs away. Given the state of randoms, there’s some significant appeal in that. 

Pretty much this..^^^^  

Because if you can't dip, duck, dive, dodge, use smoke to conceal a retreat, break contact, use smoke to conceal an advance, sail around terrain to flank, and kite like your pants are on fire; then cruisers and DDs are not a viable option.  

And some BB players are skeptical of the hype or anti-hype of the new US BB line that they want to know for themselves. 

If it turns out the line is a tanky monster spitting shells and sending planes to their fiery death, then it is a good time to find out before it is too late. 

The "You snooze, you lose"  rule is now in effect. So expect more BBBs out there. 

And because of that, being a DD is either a good idea if you play well, or a really bad idea if you drop and there are 6 conquerers. 

Cruisers? Well, let's just say that if they park, a few BBs sailing around technically can catch you wide. Not fun for a park ranger cruiser. Stalingrad might have to install his engine after all and not rely on a tug boat to put him at a spot. And most cruisers are probably exploring that rudder module again so they don't dislocate their fingers.

• Cool 1

Members
464 posts
20 battles

I posted a topic on this a few days ago with my opinions on the matter.  As far as I am concerned the BB overpopulation and what it does to the game meta is the biggest problem with the game right now.  I saw over 350 BB's in the high tier queue last night - although to be fair this was on the day of a new BB line release, of course that will have skewed the numbers.  I have been seeing 150-200 in the high tier queue regularly for the last few months though, when there was no particular BB focus.

As for why they are so popular, I'll quote myself from that thread:

"So why are battleships so popular?  The reasons are simple, and it is not just because they are a very powerful class - the main reason is that battleships are a comfortable safe space for many players.  The class coddles you as everything happens relatively slowly, small mistakes that would get a cruiser or destroyer killed or neutered go relatively unpunished, and even huge mistakes in positioning give you a minute or two to get used to the idea that you're about to die, rather than suffering the mental shear of the near instant death that a similarly monumental mistake would give you in a cruiser or destroyer.

In this way, battleships are a bit like playing playing the game while snuggling your favourite cuddly toy from when you were a kid - they just make the experience a bit more comfortable, even the unpleasant stuff."

• Cool 4
  • Meh 1

Members
3,648 posts
42,248 battles
Just now, LunchCutter said:

Mainly seen Japanese and German fat wagons tho .

Well, there was the GKs rolling about to finish legendary upgrades. There is a mission that encourages ramming. There is a secbat mission too. So expect to see them out there. Despite their size, unless the player played it often, it is highly unlikely that they can dodge a torpedo spread in it. 

Members
1,402 posts
11,401 battles

The BB does do more average damage than all other classes... Slightly more than CVs, a lot more than cruisers....and often more than double that of DDs

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,369 posts
13,031 battles
6 minutes ago, CommodoreKang said:

You' and everyone else are 1000% correct that the new lines and all the BF ships are inflating the numbers significantly.  But we were already in a bit of "bb heavy" meta IIRC.  So, I always assumed the BB heavy meta had some relation to the CV survivability and being the back situation going on with BBs.

Could be wrong on that though.  

When I hit randoms, there usually seems to be little rhyme or reason with what's sitting in the que. Normally carriers are in the single digits to teens, with the other classes having a pretty healthy mix. In actual matches, over several games, it seems to be a mix as well, but having a 1 cruiser per side match, a DD-less match, or even a BB-less match does happen from time to time.

Now, BB's can be popular at times because they can delete cruisers, and aren't as susceptible to sudden DD-death syndrome. There's also the usual range advantage a BB have over most cruisers and DD's, notice the number of BB's firing from max gun range these days. Hanging back shouldn't be a reaction to CV's, as it is counter productive against them, but is a reaction to the HE/fire spam that is way to prevalent in the game today. 

• Cool 1

[TF-64]
Members
21 posts
1,169 battles

BB are good ships that's why, in a battle the first ships to be sunk are normally destroyers and cruisers. Battleships have the best survivability in the game and I play them the most. Want to not get sunk fast? Use BB.

[INTEL]
Members
13,459 posts
37,680 battles

Because WG has decided to flood the game with an arbitrary damage mechanic, CVs. This drives more players to play ships that can take damage, as well as chases players out of DDs and into BBs. Meanwhile, the flood of BBs then reduces the cruiser population when players switch out of CAs and into BBs.

Simple.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,564 posts
20,977 battles

Last week's Jean Bart B spam has rolled into this week's USN BB line release.