You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
eviltane

On Windows 10 is there a way to force frozen / crashed WoWs to be in the background rather then overlay task manager?

10 comments in this topic

[SALVO]
Members
2,725 posts
6,816 battles

I have been having this problem for a while now.  Three or four times a week (depending how much I play) WoWs will freeze up completely or go to a black screen. 

When I go to Ctrl-Alt-Del  It brings me successfully to the Windows menu where you can choose  "Lock", "Switch user", "Sign Out"  "Task Manager", etc. 

If I select Task Manager  it puts me back into windows but I can not see the task manager because a black screen WoWs  Overlays it. Really it overlays every other window.   So the only way to end the task then is to either log out or restart, which forces an end to the application.

I am seeking a faster/ better solution to this problem. 

Is there a different way to end the application?  Did I mess something up on an option menu that forces WoWs in-front of all other windows including task manager ? 

Edited by eviltane

[CK5]
Members
1,497 posts
15,944 battles

Open Task Manager and click on Options at the top.  One of the options will be "always on top" which means it will not be covered by any other application when you open it.  That way you can always use Task Manager when your game freezes up.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,535 posts
14,839 battles

You can try alt+tab to bring up the task manager after you originally selected it but if that doesn't work a hard power button reset is all you have.

[GWG]
Members
7,304 posts
14,089 battles

Sadly enough, I keep a second gaming PC queued up, ready to jump in when the other freezes up.

It's a ritual I've been doing for the last month.  Start one PC, kick it off line with the other, then play game.

It only takes 15-20 seconds to rejoin the battle after a freeze.  I just leave the frozen PC with whatever malfunction it's got.

I have noticed a pattern that there are external incoming 'connections' that Windows Defender and McAfee are flagging as suspect.  These coincide with the freeze-ups.  These run in bursts of 2-3 dozen per episode.
It's come to my attention that this game uses peer-to-peer file sharing when the game is running..   This is a violation of my Comcast EULA. 
Back in the days, my daughter had a Limewire server on her PC, and that was peer-to-peer.  It was shut down due to infringement, and so Comcast specifically forbids the use of this type of communication.

So they say...   'switch from Comcast' so I can play this game.
'They' can go to hell.  I'd rather block this nonsense.  Nobody asked for it.

Members
3,669 posts
42,633 battles
3 hours ago, eviltane said:

I have been having this problem for a while now.  Three or four times a week (depending how much I play) WoWs will freeze up completely or go to a black screen. 

When I go to Ctrl-Alt-Del  It brings me successfully to the Windows menu where you can choose  "Lock", "Switch user", "Sign Out"  "Task Manager", etc. 

If I select Task Manager  it puts me back into windows but I can not see the task manager because a black screen WoWs  Overlays it. Really it overlays every other window.   So the only way to end the task then is to either log out or restart, which forces an end to the application.

I am seeking a faster/ better solution to this problem. 

Is there a different way to end the application?  Did I mess something up on an option menu that forces WoWs in-front of all other windows including task manager ? 

Click the windows pane, then power, then restart. 

I always am able to reset the system crash this way. I then run repair. but if in middle of battle, I restart game instead. I will finish the game, check windows for updates, then run repair through game center. 

It solves it easy.

If it is a glitch on WG's end, the repair usually fixes it. Repeated crashes would require a more extensive report. 

You can check windows system crash reports yourself under diagnostics. This is to see if a hardware issue did it. Usually it is heat. Cleaning does the trick. Older systems, power supply getting old as MBs are sensitive. Make sure your case has no carpet underneath, no objects adjacent, or behind the tower base where it sits. On a floor is fine, but most people I talk to suggest elevate about 3-4 inches on a stand that allows free air flow under. Around the tower, there should be no other heat sources as they radiate their heat to the case externally. 

An IT guy did a demo with a FLIR gun with a viewscreen to show thermal patches near computer cases and one culprit was a refrigerator a colleague had and another was his foot heater that deflected the heat back to the case when it hit the desk walls. 

All electronics love cool spaces. The 6 inch rule was key in the early days of tech, but you may need to be sure air moves freely about your PC area where heat comes out and cool air goes in. Convection is heat rising and cool air falling. Remembering that should help. 

• Cool 1

[MR-1]
[MR-1]
Members
1,560 posts
21,367 battles

when that happens to me ( mostly right after a battle )  i just log the user out rather than shut the whole computer down and restart 

Edited by Gaelic_knight

[WORX]
Members
12,074 posts
19,529 battles
3 hours ago, eviltane said:

Three or four times a week (depending how much I play) WoWs will freeze up completely or go to a black screen. 

This sounds like a an issue with your drivers...

• Make sure they're updated manually with the "erase previous version" box check.

This usually clears it up

• Meh 1

[SALVO]
Members
2,725 posts
6,816 battles
14 hours ago, PrairiePlayer said:

Open Task Manager and click on Options at the top.  One of the options will be "always on top" which means it will not be covered by any other application when you open it.  That way you can always use Task Manager when your game freezes up.

Yes thanks!  That was the first thing I did last night.  It did not crash on me yesterday will see how it goes. 

• Cool 1

[WG]
Administrator, Developers
1,779 posts
10,635 battles
7 hours ago, eviltane said:

Yes thanks!  That was the first thing I did last night.  It did not crash on me yesterday will see how it goes. 

Ahoy @eviltane!

If the problem returns, try running a check/repair of the client to see if any files were damaged or corrupt.

If that doesn't resolve the issue, create a WGcheck report and submit a ticket to the Support with the report.

This way we will be able to see what's going on and isolate where the problem is.

#anchorsaweigh

[CO-OP]
Members
1,862 posts
26,718 battles

I always have a second desktop enabled on windows and on that I have task manager running. Whenever WoWS crashes and refuses to relinquish through alt tab,  I use Ctrl+Win+Right Arrow to switch desktop and then kill WoWS in the Task Manager.