You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Geococcyx

Time to try Cruisers again

12 comments in this topic

[WOLFB]
[WOLFB]
Members
313 posts
8,294 battles

Good afternoon all,

I am planning to run up another cruiser line. This is my weakest class, so I am looking for advise. If you wish to offer some, below is a bit of my current thinking. 

After learning the game basics in the first 1000 matches or so I choose to focus on my strongest class at the time - DDs. I have done fine with them. I have run up to T10 on DD 8 lines. I have run up 2 BB lines to T10, and am regrinding one of them. I have done the RN CL line to T10 also. So it is time to try learning another cruiser line. Expand my horizons, deepen my experience, etc.

So I am looking for advice on which line could be fun and provide a different perspective on the game for me. I went up the RN CL because it was smoke fire based not too far from my experience with DDs, as of two years ago. Building from skills I had. However now things are different now. Very.  I have done some run and gun with Russian DDs so was leaning AWAY from the French cruisers, looking for something new. I would like to try IJN again but in the current CV meta I am a bit concerned, but would be will to consider it based on new info.  The prime candidates are a US line, a Russian line, or the German line. I could do the Italians but I have heard that most of the ships in that line are meh to painful to play, leaving only a couple of fun ones. 

I define fun as being able to contribute to the match, getting punished in proportion to the degree of mistake, and being able to learn the game from a different perspective. 

OR should I put off this project until the Skill Rework/rebork happens, as it will change the environment too much for any meaningful discussion at this time. I have a BB line to finish regrinding and the snowflake event in coming up, without the win requirement (hallelujah). So I am not in a big hurry. 

Thank you in advance for any advice. 

[NSEW]
Members
2,153 posts
11,535 battles
1 minute ago, Geococcyx said:

I define fun as being able to contribute to the match, getting punished in proportion to the degree of mistake, and being able to learn the game from a different perspective. 

Hindenburg.

No coal needed.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
4,828 posts
21,205 battles
2 minutes ago, Geococcyx said:

Good afternoon all,

OR should I put off this project until the Skill Rework/rebork happens, as it will change the environment too much for any meaningful discussion at this time. I have a BB line to finish regrinding and the snowflake event in coming up, without the win requirement (hallelujah). So I am not in a big hurry. 

Everything will change.   The meta's will change.  All Cruisers, in some form will have changes (good or bad.)  Collecting is collecting and no matter what our host does to the CPT respec, it doesn't matter to collectors.  Advanced gameplay is another whole can of worms because of all of the changes as a whole, will change the "form" of the Battlespace.......  A new "norm" and a new "meta" will evolve and why re-learn twice???? 

I'd hold off to see what actually happens if gameplay is your goal.....

[-TKS-]
Members
68 posts
21,414 battles

Every cruiser can contribute :) Just depends on the how you like to play. Midtier play can be quite different than top tier. Overall though coming from DD play - you may enjoy the thinking of positoning before firing of the british cruisers and Japanese cruisers. All others are more visible so while placement is still important, you have less opportunity to do so before opening your first salvo comparatively.   People gripe about cv's, but that isn't in every battle so still have time to shine even when using stealth.  Venezia is a lot of fun too.  (Those would be my top 3 recommendations of which countries to play). 

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,776 posts
712 battles

The US heavy line at tier 8 and beyond is very strong. Even the premiums are good. A lot of CCs and reviewers said the Wichita was bad at worse and "worse than Baltimore" at best but it's actually the best-performing US tier 8 cruiser, according to MapleSyrup.

The US heavies are very flexible and a lot of fun. Especially at tier 8 and above. You really can't go wrong.

[REKTD]
Members
420 posts
10,411 battles
15 minutes ago, Geococcyx said:

Good afternoon all,

I love cruisers despite picking up the game to play battleships. They are like a “comfort food” that I go to if having a hard time in DDs or BBs. But they are so varied you will really have to decide how you like to play them. Here are a few thoughts in random order for you to peruse:

My least favorite is the US line, because they seem pigeon-holed into the island hiding, dead stop spamming role, which I hate. But they are excellent ships, and Helena is one of my favorites on the game. 

German cruisers can take a hit, and are more forgiving in this way. Konigsberg, the T6, and Roon are excellent kiting ships and using them effectively can win you a lot of matches due to the fire you can draw off of your teammates.

The Soviet line is similar in concept, but achieved through long range and speed variance due to larger sizes and paper armor. Dmitri Donskoi is a lot of fun to plan beyond 15km range. They can’t hit you, but can’t stop trying because of your super high detection radius and slow turning. But it has very good acceleration and a good RoF. If you go the Soviet line, remember never to ever even think about showing broadside. That is true for all cruisers, but especially the Soviet ones.

I see based on your description the IJN line as perfect for you. This is because they are low HP, so you can get one-shot popped...but they have ridiculous turn radius’. I believe my rudder shift on Zao is 4.2 seconds. HE not only causes fires well, but it has good alpha damage. So the action is heavy when you fire because you will be targeted early and often, but thru well timed maneuvering and salvos you make a massive impact. And they have low detection and long range “Long Lance” torpedoes which you will enjoy. I believe these to be the best kiting ships in this class.

Italian cruisers are similar in concept, but useless torpedoes. The SAP shells are fun to use though.

Edited by SuperComm4

[PVE]
Members
1,125 posts
9,566 battles

I recommend the US heavy line. They are flexible, have radar at high tiers to help lewd lolliebotes, and their AP has better pen angles at high tiers. Des Moines is a beast. There are some less powerful ships through the tiers, but all lines have those.

I have Des Moines, Henri IV, Zao, Moskva, Woostah, and Hindy and out of all of them I like Des Moines the best.

Edited by MasterDiggs

[WOLFB]
[WOLFB]
Members
313 posts
8,294 battles

@LowSpeed_US @Asym_KS @Featherdustr  @ramp4ge @SuperComm4 and @MasterDiggs Thank you very much for taking time to provide advice and your prospectives. I has given me points I want to look at. 

I think I will do some experimenting in COOP for now. After the skill rework I will choose a line and learn it. Based on comments and my experience with light cruisers I am leaning toward a heavy line - US and German area candidates. I am also going to take another look at the IJN. It is my understanding the IJN runs mostly 203s which puts it in the heavy class, but they have lighter armor plans than the US and German ships. 

I don't always have a lot of time to play due to work, so I like to be thoughtful before starting a grind. 

Again thank you. 

[NSEW]
Members
2,153 posts
11,535 battles
4 hours ago, MasterDiggs said:

I have Des Moines, Henri IV, Zao, Moskva, Woostah, and Hindy and out of all of them I like Des Moines the best.

Quoting @MasterDiggs, (not having a 'dig') those are all good suggestions.  With the caveat of the Worcester (light cruiser), and Henry IV.  There have been a significant change in performance of the ships speed and speed bleeding during turns with the Henry IV.   Something you must be aware of.  Her rifles are still very much as it was, however.  Worcester, I mention it due to the changes that will be coming soon (Captain skills rework to 21 points). 

Personally, recently I enjoyed playing the Des Moines (even though her hull isn't made for all out brawling).  However, when she is placed well and distance is short you can throw a stone over to the adversary's deck.  She will excel with her rapid reloading rifles with good bounce angles.

I wish you nothing but fun and enjoyable experience with your decision, which ever line should you decide to choose to grind.

[7AES]
Members
2,163 posts
33,460 battles
5 hours ago, ramp4ge said:

The US heavy line at tier 8 and beyond is very strong. Even the premiums are good. A lot of CCs and reviewers said the Wichita was bad at worse and "worse than Baltimore" at best but it's actually the best-performing US tier 8 cruiser, according to MapleSyrup.

The US heavies are very flexible and a lot of fun. Especially at tier 8 and above. You really can't go wrong.

Wichita has better concealment, faster AP shells and more wiggles than Baltimore. The lack of SHS doesn’t really seem that bad when you look at the whole package.

I prefer it to Baltimore but that’s simply personal preference.

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,776 posts
712 battles
18 minutes ago, Wye_So_Serious said:

Wichita has better concealment, faster AP shells and more wiggles than Baltimore. The lack of SHS doesn’t really seem that bad when you look at the whole package.

I prefer it to Baltimore but that’s simply personal preference.

They're both excellent, just different. Wichita is the only ship I even play anymore. I did the second half of my fxp grind to the Alaska in her. Hands down my favorite ship in the game.

I love that Wichita is also smaller and thinner. Combined with her wiggles she's hard to hit and her citadel is tiny.