You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Merc_R_Us

Where did "spreadsheet says you're having fun" come from?

34 comments in this topic

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
899 posts
7,074 battles

I honestly don't know where this came from, WG said it I'm assuming at some point? Anyone know where I can see it?

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
899 posts
7,074 battles
5 minutes ago, Purple_Dawn said:

First time I heard it was on a Flamu Twitch stream.  Perhaps it goes back further.

Right yeah I heard it there too, I'm just trying to understand if they actually said it

[KWF]
Members
5,253 posts
6,659 battles

If not wrong it derives from the frequent use of spreadsheets by Sub_Octavian to defend WG balance choices etc. during Q&As.

Edited by warheart1992

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,725 posts

Polls are notoriously biased. You can ask people what they want and what they plan to do but when push comes to shove they might do something completely different. Companies look to the "spreadsheet" to determine what customers actually are buying or likely to buy. From the company's standpoint it really doesn't matter if the customer is having "fun" or not, as long as they are buying. 

• Meh 1

[7AES]
Members
2,163 posts
33,460 battles
Just now, warheart1992 said:

If not wrong it derives from the frequent use of spreadsheets by Sub_Octavian to explain balance choices etc during Q&As.

Not only Sub_Oct but every other numb nut in the world that thinks data (at least the data they've collected/available, organized and filtered) is the be all and end all in decision making.

• Cool 1

[WKY04]
Members
591 posts
11,820 battles

Pretty sure it derives from “spreadsheet says it’s balanced” which seems to be the archetypal WG response to player complaints that x is broken (insert literally anything for x). 

Not really being able to argue with that (partly because lots of the data is hidden) then the player’s complaint mutates to x is not fun which WG ignores because it’s entirely subjective and doesn’t appear to much affect how many people play, only whether certain people play. Hence, spreadsheet says you’re having fun. Enjoyable good old fashioned snark.

This answer is based on research I didn’t do and some facts I inferred (i.e. made up), nevertheless this seems likely to me.

Edited by Spirit_of_76

[NSEW]
Members
2,153 posts
11,535 battles
8 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

If not wrong it derives from the frequent use of spreadsheets by Sub_Octavian to defend WG balance choices etc. during Q&As.

I think, perhaps even believe that this is the origin story.  Then it was disseminated at a wider audience via Twitch streamers, where the viewers also take part in the forums.

Similarily, when the server population dropped (still hasn't recovered pre-rework, in my opinion on NA).   Said person said it wasn't true (in NA region it dropped, whilst EU actually stayed on course with their projection).  When asked where such data/information is from.  The person replied by saying that they can get the data off the players uninstalling the clients, which would give them the data.  I suppose the players that 'took a long break' but didn't uninstall still counts as "active" according to their spreadsheets. 

Edited by LowSpeed_US

[KWF]
Members
5,253 posts
6,659 battles
7 minutes ago, Wye_So_Serious said:

Not only Sub_Oct but every other numb nut in the world that thinks data (at least the data they've collected/available, organized and filtered) is the be all and end all in decision making.

I just thing Sub was the first one since he used to do frequent  WG streams at the time. Others followed in his footsteps :Smile_hiding:.

Edited by warheart1992

[WOLF7]
Members
583 posts
5 minutes ago, Wye_So_Serious said:

Dilbert by Scott Adams | Accounting humor, Dilbert comics, Funny friday  memes

• Funny 4

[BGSSC]
[BGSSC]
Members
2,637 posts
10,689 battles

5 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Polls are notoriously biased. You can ask people what they want and what they plan to do but when push comes to shove they might do something completely different. Companies look to the "spreadsheet" to determine what customers actually are buying or likely to buy. From the company's standpoint it really doesn't matter if the customer is having "fun" or not, as long as they are buying. 

^^^This.  Players will often voice their wants and needs and then do nothing when they are given the choice to proceed with the very choice they indicated that was important to them.  Polls are bad from some standpoints and can be tilted based on the way questions are asked, when they are asked, and to who they are asked.  Companies are just as guilty, because they base their decisions on immediate outcomes and feedback which may represent a reaction but not the best path for the long run.

• Meh 1

Beta Testers
94 posts
12,722 battles

My understanding of this goes back to the early days of the game when players asked if any of the development team actually place the game and where answered with no, since it would interfere with their understanding of what the spreadsheet data means.

[BGSSC]
[BGSSC]
Members
2,637 posts
10,689 battles

The reference to spreadsheets is basically a reference to anything justified by numbers, even if the numbers are artificially skewed and/or have nothing to do with fun and enjoyment.  The "fun and engaging" statement is very similar in its reference to the dislike by many for the random detonation mechanic in the game.  Because so many came out and said they enjoyed the mechanic, the term they had a "fun and engaging" experience came to pass whenever someone randomly exploded by detonation.

[HINON]
Members
13,832 posts

One of the devs during a stream joked about using just spreadsheets for balance and not actually playing the game and some players took him seriously. A cursory investigation quickly showed that dev was a unicum/superunicum on CIS with many thousands of matches.

• Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,725 posts
19 minutes ago, Murcc said:

Companies are just as guilty, because they base their decisions on immediate outcomes and feedback which may represent a reaction but not the best path for the long run.

I've had a bit of experience with this, having inherited stock in my Grandpa's telecommunications company and then having run it for several years with my family. In general, you want long-term stability for a company. However, to ensure this you sometimes have to look to what will give you the most short-term profit if you need immediate cash. We had some success in creating startups and selling them, while at the same time keeping the base utility untouched for stability. I eventually cashed out my stock because I don't have all that much "long term" left myself. I'm already older than Grandpa was when he died. 

Members
2,391 posts
13,906 battles
1 hour ago, Merc_R_Us said:

I honestly don't know where this came from, WG said it I'm assuming at some point? Anyone know where I can see it?

I tis biting sarcasm... in the past WG has answered queries about how they make decisions.. in one specific interview with the person in charge of "balance" was asked if he played the game for work and he said  that he spent most of his day with his head in a spreadsheet, admitting that he didn't play much... Other answers of similar tone have been issued by WG over the past few years to explain and defend how they do things...

No.. people use it all the time as a way to get a dig in at WG when they are not happy with changes etc .. obviously the spreadsheet cannot measure client happiness, but it seems to be the way WG does things... they look at spreadsheets and make decisions base don crunching numbers.... many of us would prefer they play the game more and listen to the user base more, but we many also assume that the devs pay little to no attention to any feedback we give, although this notion is countered and denied strongly by WG reps, the impression stills is well accepted that feedback goes into a black hole, never to be seen again...

Obviously, if the forum is a representation of the player base at all, a lot of people are not happy with the direction the game has and continues to move...  the churn will run out eventually and the game will die is my prediction  ..

Members
2,391 posts
13,906 battles
21 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

One of the devs during a stream joked about using just spreadsheets for balance and not actually playing the game and some players took him seriously

It wasn't a joke.. I watched it live... he was dead serious... He said he spent his days with his head in the spreadsheet and did not play much at all.   It was in no way a joke.

[STAR]
Members
564 posts
21,128 battles
1 hour ago, Merc_R_Us said:

It was only once that it showed up from WG official media.

During the first weeks for the CV rework WG sent a survey and among one of the multiple choice questions was one that had "How much fun are you having with World of Warships?"

Obviously, because early rework CVs were overpowered, breaking the 300k damage often the results were... a disaster.

But then Sub_Octavian said that the feedback was positive and the playerbase was having fun with the CV rework!?!?

Excuse me!?!?

Then the joke of the spreadsheet asking if u are having fun started and WG never made this question again and try to bury it under the carpet, so only the older players that read Sub_Octavian stuff and who answers surveys remember this.

[NONE]
Members
3,757 posts
59 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

^ This.

Whenever Sub, Conway, or the others get put on the hot seat, their fallback position is always, "we have data that you don't so stfu"

Remember, sports fans, in Soviet Russia, the game plays YOU! :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 2

[ARGSY]
Members
22,410 posts
16,285 battles
1 hour ago, Balon_Greyjoy said:

their fallback position is always, "we have data that you don't

Thing is, they do.

Whether they are asking the right questions and getting meaningful answers are, however, definitely up for debate.

1 hour ago, Airjellyfish said:

Many in our clan slam the "Extremely Dissatisfied" button every survey to try to push the numbers the other way, lol.

The problem with that is that there are so many reasons to be extremely satisfied or dissatisfied with a battle that the survey doesn't even explore. However, if you push "dissatisfied" too often after a productive winning battle, it would not surprise me to see it flag you as being unreliable.

[HINON]
Members
13,832 posts
1 hour ago, Elo_J_Fudpucker said:

Which was contradicted by looking at his stats so clearly it was a joke.

lighten up.gif

Edited by RipNuN2
  • Confused 1