You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
JTM78

New Skills SUCK!!

82 comments in this topic

[SWACC]
Members
35 posts
2,943 battles
[SALVO]
Members
2,717 posts
6,801 battles
12 minutes ago, JTM78 said:

How do things like this even get through super testing?

Unless the Super Testers have been under some sort of NDA   there has been no testing.  Neither have I seen posts from Hapa or anyone official on the matter besides the posts announcing it. 

Edited by eviltane
  • Sad 1

[WOLFG]
Members
11,196 posts
10,438 battles
1 minute ago, eviltane said:

Unless the Super Testers have been under some sort of NDA   there has been no testing.  Neither have I seen posts from Hapa or anyone official on the matter besides the posts announcing it. 

If their release was a little later, like on say April 1st, I would suspect an elaborate Syd Finch type troll job.

• Cool 1

[WOLF7]
Members
83 posts
2,532 battles

Great, I left WOT's a month ago to get away from wheeled vehicles and a lot of the changes they're making over there just in time to get to WoW's and this sweeping change. 

I haven't been around long enough to fully understand what's going on but it does not sound good.

I understand everything changes and evolves but when you have something that works and a lot of followers, people spending money enjoying something, why would you stand it on its head and make massive changes that the player base is obviously voicing opinions against. 

I have a shirt that sums it up, It says "If it's not broke fix it till it is" 

• Cool 4

[KWF]
Members
5,264 posts
6,659 battles
4 minutes ago, eviltane said:

Just because there hasn't been anything on Supertest doesn't mean they haven't done some tests internally, at least at some small scale. 

Not that this makes it more palatable.

[RBMK2]
Members
349 posts
7,062 battles

After reading through the skill changes to me it seems this is nothing more than a blatant money grab by WG. 

• Cool 3
  • Thanks 1

[PVE]
Members
12,906 posts
27,006 battles
11 minutes ago, Elo_J_Fudpucker said:

..WG does not care.... obviously...

But...but...they thanked us for a our feedback and took it into account...:Smile_facepalm:

• Cool 5
  • Funny 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

Members
2,391 posts
13,906 battles
3 minutes ago, MizzenMast said:

After reading through the skill changes to me it seems this is nothing more than a blatant money grab by WG. 

Of course it is... players didn't ask for this... much like all the other "efforts to improve" the game, it appears to be about the other than quality of play.. ...  oh well.. if you have low expectations of WG you will not be disappointed.

• Cool 1

[RBMK2]
Members
349 posts
7,062 battles
1 minute ago, Bill_Halsey said:

well, time to buy FDR. CV's are the only clear winners as far as I can see.

You got that right. I have to wonder WTH WG is thinking... It seems like every time their player base (customers) get upset on a change WG double downs on it. 

I like this game, I like playing with ships & by all accounts I am whale. WG should be doing their best to please me & yet with each change they further alienate me & other players like me. 

You have to wonder what their end game is. What are they trying to turn this game into. Or is there even a plan? Are they just trying to bleed the community for all its worth before they kill it. 

• Cool 3
  • Thanks 1

[COOP2]
Members
359 posts
9,241 battles
2 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

Just because there hasn't been anything on Supertest doesn't mean they haven't done some tests internally, at least at some small scale. 

Not that this makes it more palatable.

I agree they must be doing SOMETHING for testing, the question is what?

Also I am not the 1st to ask, but what/whose feedback are they factoring in? Perhaps some of the comments on the board? (Maybe they did to some extent) Any testers/community contributors?

CVs do seem to get the good skills in this rework, and as I have thought more about it a bunch of these new skills are "conditional" i.e. you get a buff but only if conditions A or B are met. Yes adrenaline rush sort of is (less life = faster ROF) but these new ones are not in the same style, such as your accuracy improves IF no one is in your detection range, just seems a bit off.

Members
2,391 posts
13,906 battles
Just now, Ironshroud said:

the question is what?

I am convinced that the folks that program this game, don't actually play it.

• Cool 5
  • Thanks 2

[KWF]
Members
5,264 posts
6,659 battles
3 minutes ago, Ironshroud said:

I agree they must be doing SOMETHING for testing, the question is what?

Also I am not the 1st to ask, but what/whose feedback are they factoring in? Perhaps some of the comments on the board? (Maybe they did to some extent) Any testers/community contributors?

The feedback question is the one I also had. It's made out to be as if the community was listened to, but even if you factor in reddit and forum feedback it should be possibly in the single digits as far as playerbase percentage is concerned.

3 minutes ago, Elo_J_Fudpucker said:

I am convinced that the folks that program this game, don't actually play it.

There are quite a few devs out on RU server, afaik some of them were unicums/superunicums. 

The problem is that they don't get paid to make the game enjoyable, but to earn revenue for their employer.

[WOLFB]
[WOLFB]
Members
313 posts
8,294 battles

Issues regarding the need for or the quality of this skill rework aside, the timing of the rework seem very poor.  If we are getting subs soon, I would expect there be a need to change the skills to allow for a more...um...err... "nuanced" interaction between ships of different classes and subs. So we get to do TWO major skill resets this year. UGH - do they know how much time it takes to figure out and reset captains take?

Edited by Geococcyx
spelling error due to lack of coffee
  • Cool 1

Members
2,391 posts
13,906 battles
1 minute ago, warheart1992 said:

The problem is that they don't get paid to make the game enjoyable, but to earn revenue for their employer.

..and therein is their issue...  but I do not think they can see it...  a great product sells it self and doesn't need gimmicks.  When a companies focus is only on profits the product suffers. Thus is the case with WG's programs. Somehow they take very popular games and instead of trying to mke a better program, which would make them more money, they just skip to the making money part, which ends up killing the game...  but one cannot tell some folks anything.. and if you try they will reject it outright and double down...

• Cool 1

[-TCO-]
[-TCO-]
Members
651 posts
5,732 battles
2 minutes ago, Geococcyx said:

Issues regarding the need for or the quality of this skill rework aside, the timing of the rework seem very poor.  If we are getting subs soon, I would expect there be a need to change the skills to allow for a more...um...err... "nuanced" interaction between shups of different classes and subs. So we get to do TWO major skill resets this year. UGH - do they know how much time it takes to figure out and reset captains take?

Not if subs have their own captain that ONLY captain subs. That's the only way this makes any sense.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts
4 minutes ago, Elo_J_Fudpucker said:

..and therein is their issue...  but I do not think they can see it...  a great product sells it self and doesn't need gimmicks.  When a companies focus is only on profits the product suffers. Thus is the case with WG's programs. Somehow they take very popular games and instead of trying to mke a better program, which would make them more money, they just skip to the making money part, which ends up killing the game...  but one cannot tell some folks anything.. and if you try they will reject it outright and double down...

Exactly.   A good product that continues to improve sells itself.   A mediocre product full of gimmicks and traps is a dead-end road, but looks better on the quarterly reports.  

It's not just WG, it's a problem across business culture, but WG cranks it to 11.  

[WOLFB]
[WOLFB]
Members
313 posts
8,294 battles
7 minutes ago, SkullCowboy_60 said:

Not if subs have their own captain that ONLY captain subs. That's the only way this makes any sense.

I was not so much looking at that but rather skills allow player to adjust their play style to compensate for other ship classes abilities. A BB player can take vigilance to compensate for torps from DDs, ships can take AA skills to help against CVs. When subs come out I would HOPE that that players will be give an skill options to help balance their play style against subs. If that does happen we would see a second rework of skills. 

To you point, while what you say is possible it goes against the new skill system they are introducing. 

Edited by Geococcyx

[CRUEL]
Members
503 posts
8,519 battles
20 minutes ago, Bill_Halsey said:

well, time to buy FDR. CV's are the only clear winners as far as I can see.

I dont really play Cvs (sub 100 matches) so it blew me away the other day when I found out they dont detonate! Between that and rdf doesn't detect them, 10 second fires and floods etc. Its amazing. Why dont they just make a CV only wows like world of carriers or something. Put subs in it because a vast amount of Cvs were sunk by subs. 

• Cool 2

Members
2,391 posts
13,906 battles
1 minute ago, Darmokattenagra said:

Why dont they just make a CV only wows like world of carriers or something.

ding ding ding..

Why indeed... another thing I have said repeatedly... CV are OP in this game and the ruin it for 75% of the other ships... WG should make a World of Carrier Task Force game... but they are goign to fit CV in this game even if it kills it... an odd direction, but someone in WG as a burr up their butt to have CV in the game, and it will be done despite the damage it has and will continue to do..

The forum is FILLED with complaints, and yet we get told over and over that "there is no problem"... I think the term s Gaslighting.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Boring 1

[KWF]
Members
5,264 posts
6,659 battles
16 minutes ago, Elo_J_Fudpucker said:

9 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Exactly.   A good product that continues to improve sells itself.   A mediocre product full of gimmicks and traps is a dead-end road, but looks better on the quarterly reports.  

It's not just WG, it's a problem across business culture, but WG cranks it to 11.  

I agree with you both, a really good product advertises itself, and good player treatment leads to lots of word of mouth recommendations that's still around and can be very successful. There are certain f2p games I recommend to friends purely because the developers treat you like a part of the game, not like a wallet. 

Still, it's not a thing restricted to WoWs, it's part of the whole Games as a Service plan that many companies try to push. 

And while WG titles aren't good in that regard, they at least aren't something like EA.

Edited by warheart1992

[PVE]
Members
4,837 posts
21,224 battles
51 minutes ago, JTM78 said:

They can't afford to keep the game modern nor do they have the will to maintain it as it was......  Didn't they get rid of their R&D team>?  This change is designed to change the base demographics and economy of the game itself....  These threads mean nothing to them.....! 

Take it or leave it is the mantra.  So, as many of are preparing to leave; spend all of what you have; enjoy what if left till the change, which, will end the game as we knew it; and, walk away or retire this title to the once a month play list and DRIVE ON.....hooah. 

• Cool 3
  • Thanks 1

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,595 posts
4,223 battles

59 minutes ago, eviltane said:

Unless the Super Testers have been under some sort of NDA   

Supertesters are always under NDA

[CVA16]
Members
5,900 posts
18,124 battles
45 minutes ago, Ironshroud said:

such as your accuracy improves IF no one is in your detection range, just seems a bit off.

Does that mean as soon as you press the fire button, you lose the skill benefits unless you are smoked or behind an island?