You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
MichiganEagle

Should I bother getting Alaska with the Commander Skills Rework

57 comments in this topic

[PSP]
Members
563 posts
5,040 battles

...on the horizon?

I know Alaska is getting pulled soon and I had hopes of making it to a million free XP before she goes, but am seriously worried about the effects of the Commander Skill rework.

What say you guys who are way more knowledgeable at the game than I?

If I should spend it somewhere else, what are some good options? Should I just hang on to it?

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,571 posts
4,223 battles

Alaska is going to change with the rework. It's unclear whether it will be a nerf, yes the fire prevention is going away, but she is gaining some interesting DPM buffs. However, skill rework is still WIP, so things may change. The issue is all ships will be affected. Alaska doesn't get removed until 0.10, which is almost 2 months away. I'd wait until we have a better idea of what the rework will look like before pulling the trigger. Alaska goes away at the same time the skill rework hits, so we'll (probably) know the final state of the rework before Alaska is pulled. So I would wait until we have a better idea of how the ship will play.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 3

[CMFRT]
Modder
984 posts
2,391 battles
27 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

Alaska is going to change with the rework. It's unclear whether it will be a nerf, yes the fire prevention is going away, but she is gaining some interesting DPM buffs. However, skill rework is still WIP, so things may change. The issue is all ships will be affected. Alaska doesn't get removed until 0.10, which is almost 2 months away. I'd wait until we have a better idea of what the rework will look like before pulling the trigger. Alaska goes away at the same time the skill rework hits, so we'll (probably) know the final state of the rework before Alaska is pulled. So I would wait until we have a better idea of how the ship will play.

None of the DPM buffs are going to matter all that much. Super cruiers, including Alaska are still getting a straight nerf through the rework. One that really isnt needed. Is the nerf enough to make me suggest not getting Alaska? No, not really. I'd still tell people to get it, because it will still be able to blap cruisers with great effect, it'll just die that much quicker to HE spam.

• Thanks 1

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,776 posts
712 battles

Even nerfed I think Alaska will be one of the best ways to spend 1m free exp. 

[REVY]
Members
8,139 posts
6,118 battles
1 hour ago, MichiganEagle said:

Should I bother getting Alaska with the Commander Skills Rework

This is a good question.  I'm at 910k fxp at this point and I really don't want to waste it all on a ship that's not worth it.  It really is distressing that they are removing Alaska from the shop and nerfing it at the same time, causing such distress for me.

[-K-]
Alpha Tester
1,881 posts
8,057 battles

I think the main point of contention here is the lack of FP and maybe BoS. But depending on how you play Alaska your experience will differ. If you sit bow in all the time... then yes you’ll take a hit in staying power.

I like super cruisers, at least Kronstadt and Alaska. Hard to citadel, built with thick belt armor, and you have a flat HP advantage if you’re not on fire too often.

My Kronstadt has a dedicated captain for minimizing fires and Alaska just has my Des Moines captain, which means no FP. I have fun playing both ships and they perform well.

It’s certainly more intense to play Alaska without FP but completely doable. There are still some survival skills left in the new rework if it’s released as-is so you’ll still be able to run SI & SE. Not optional but definitely doesn’t make the ship garbage. Try kiting with Alaska! It’s not the floating citadel Stalingrad. People get burned down to the waterline because they play it like Stalingrad which IMO will be more significantly affected.

For reference my Des Moines captain has PT, PM, AR, EM, SI, DE, SE, CE.

Even having a non-optimal skill set, the Alaska is fun if you like big tanky ships that can bully other ships with superior armor and HP.

Edited by GoldPile
  • Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[WORX]
Members
11,916 posts
19,466 battles

Save your XP... I am at 1 million just because IMO, no need to spend it nor are their anything I would like to spend it on.

[RLGN]
Members
15,145 posts
26,771 battles
2 hours ago, AJTP89 said:

So I would wait until we have a better idea of how the ship will play.

About as well as carriers after their rework?

[1984]
Members
4,452 posts
21,485 battles
2 hours ago, AJTP89 said:

Everything i’ve seen says they leave 10.1

by any reasonably unlobotomized interpretation that means still available during 10, although these thing never seem to be clear in our environment.

btw would you take smalland over alaska if only bave enough fxp for one?

[4HIM]
Members
3,243 posts
14,271 battles

Alaska is a fun ship.  I too just run my Des Memes captain in it.  Have enough FXP to get Agir, but the pending skill rebork has put that on hold.  

Beta Testers
968 posts
4,151 battles

I'm in the same boat, except re: Siegfried. I have almost enough FXP to get it once I open up the Haragumo. 

It taking two big nerfs to midrange play - secondary skills and fire prevention - makes me nervous. 

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
16,949 posts
6 hours ago, MichiganEagle said:

...on the horizon?

I know Alaska is getting pulled soon and I had hopes of making it to a million free XP before she goes, but am seriously worried about the effects of the Commander Skill rework.

If I should spend it somewhere else, what are some good options? Should I just hang on to it?

I wouldn't waste the FXP. 

The Rebork is going to be a hard back-door nerf to all the supercruisers. 

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,511 posts
18,105 battles

From what I've read so far on this unnecessary rework it would appear that while the Alaska is losing it's ability to survive as long against fires, it's AP will be getting a boost. Not sure if that will make a difference or not as you likely won't survive as long but it's there. Also, if you push up and spot, and are outnumbered, there's apparently another boost to HE and reload. Again, it may not help as you will likely be spotted and killed but your guns will do more damage. Just more indicators that WG wants to make this more of an arcade style, fast paced game for newer players; just an opinion. 

Best advice is to wait and see before spending your free XP on a ship that may be getting nerfed. I have over three million XP and was going to get the Agir but after reading up on the unnecessary rework I also gave up on the purchase. Without the secondary boost the ship is the same as the other super cruisers that I already have. 

[ARGSY]
Members
22,236 posts
16,189 battles

My opinion on the removal of fire prevention from cruisers is that as an Alaska/Azuma/Yoshino/Siegfried/Agir/Stalin/Kron, you are really a light BB in a cruiser skin, a wolf in sheep's clothing as it were. You are a capital ship and you deserve to burn in the same manner as a capital ship. It's the tradeoff for bringing BB-level guns to cruiser matchmaking. You've had it very good for a while, but a more natural order is now being restored.

DISCLOSURE: I considered Alaska B as a purchase in the light of what I know is coming (rejected in favour of getting both Kaga B and Atago B for basically the same money), and I'm also seriously considering getting her for FXP at the very last minute. The reason I haven't yet is that I want to see whether I can pull her in a Christmas box, and I want to know if we find out before Alaska goes what currency Vampire 2 is going to be for. If it's coal, Alaska is a no-brainer.

[PHD]
Members
1,063 posts
6,083 battles

Interesting enough, yesterday I completed the missions for the BF containers and, as expected, got nothing from them. So, I got pissed off and decided to burn DBs on the rest of the sequential bundles....and got a second Alaska out of it :Smile_facepalm:

Oh well, at least it turned into Free XP and 2500DB

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
16,949 posts

It's not just FP that cruisers are losing, it's also BOS (which for some reason is being renamed "survival expert", while the useless HP boosting skill will be named something else).  

There's also the loss of AFT and BFT if you happen to use them on any of your cruisers. 

[DVYJC]
Members
3,658 posts
8,686 battles

Well, as always, the most important thing to do is pay attention to when things will be available or leaving, and not make any rush decisions. But, the odds are that no amount of skill reworking will turn Alaska from a great ship into a terrible one. I would hold off on the decision until a few weeks or a month from now and hope that we get more solid information on the skill rework to make a more informed decision. But I'd also count on getting Alaska. It's going away, and it's one of the best FXP ships right now.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
12,313 posts
17,497 battles
15 hours ago, MichiganEagle said:

...on the horizon?

Yes Alaska is very good and should stay that way. Regardless of the Captain skill changes.

Don't let the doom and gloomers on the forum get to you. Skill rework is still a work in progress. The main goal is to create more viable builds rather than just a couple best builds. I think I will make the game even more varied. Give it some time.

Members
1,402 posts
11,401 battles
11 hours ago, AJTP89 said:

While I agree to wait and see, I strongly believe that the Skill rework is a fundamental nerf to Alaska and all cruisers with a 1 minute burn time.  Every HE spammer on the map will be gunning for you over other targets since they know it will be much easier to stack fires on you....FP actually makes a big difference.

Hopefully WG will come to their senses.... I guess it's up to you if you want to wait on them.

Members
1,402 posts
11,401 battles
19 minutes ago, paradat said:

Yes Alaska is very good and should stay that way. Regardless of the Captain skill changes.

This will probably be deja vu like with the IFHE Nerf. 

Super short reader's digest version:

WG tries to do something to address the long-standing complaints of flyers from the BB clique .... So announcement of incoming IFHE Nerf.... Cruiser players warn of unwarranted collateral damage to entire tiers of light cruisers, DDs, and specific ships like Atlanta and Flint, BUT more importantly the warning that the changes will actually have the opposite of the desired effect since many players win forced to choose between direct damage and fire damage go to the fire builds.

Sure enough, the chorus from the BB mains continues, or maybe even increases, of the perceived fire problem..... And here we are back for another round of nerfing fires.... Never mind that many ships, that are already struggling in damage compared to other classes such as battleships, need fires to do any appreciable damage to that type of opponent.

And even though fire is getting nerfed yet again, the fact that survival skills are being taken away from a very popular class of ships, I think it's a pretty safe bet to say that the old fire is OP argument will rear its head again when all these super cruisers, that WG is hocking like crazy right now, get burned down to the ground from getting three and four fires stacked on them.

[REVY]
Members
8,139 posts
6,118 battles
2 minutes ago, YouSatInGum said:

WG tries to do something to address the long-standing complaints of flyers from the BB clique

I don't think the BB clique asked for superintendent be removed.  Having fewer heals isn't helpful.

[SVF]
Members
1,780 posts
2,335 battles
5 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

My opinion on the removal of fire prevention from cruisers is that as an Alaska/Azuma/Yoshino/Siegfried/Agir/Stalin/Kron, you are really a light BB in a cruiser skin, a wolf in sheep's clothing as it were. You are a capital ship and you deserve to burn in the same manner as a capital ship. It's the tradeoff for bringing BB-level guns to cruiser matchmaking. You've had it very good for a while, but a more natural order is now being restored.

DISCLOSURE: I considered Alaska B as a purchase in the light of what I know is coming (rejected in favour of getting both Kaga B and Atago B for basically the same money), and I'm also seriously considering getting her for FXP at the very last minute. The reason I haven't yet is that I want to see whether I can pull her in a Christmas box, and I want to know if we find out before Alaska goes what currency Vampire 2 is going to be for. If it's coal, Alaska is a no-brainer.

Given that capital ships still get access to Fire Prevention, this sentiment of yours doesn't make much sense to me.

• Cool 1

[CDOH]
Members
644 posts
7,660 battles

I would get Alaska its a great American Premium ship.  I don't think any nerfing is going to have any meaningful impact.  Alaska plays more like a Cruiser  than a BB.  Especially early and mid game.  Late game it becomes much more aggressive when HE usually becomes less of an issue, cause less ships. Stalingrad on the other hand is more battleship than cruiser, will likely feel the impact.   I think wargaming wants to see Battleships back in Clan battles.

So if your itching to get alaska get it.