Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Yandere_Roon

Vermont, first impressions from an average player

14 comments in this topic

[XXX]
Members
744 posts
1,698 battles

Guns...VERY punchy, sure the reload is (very) slow but when you have salvos that regularly hit VERY hard it doesn't seem so bad. She also seems to have very good AP pen values even at long ranges unlike the Kansas and the Minnesota, why those two couldn't get the NorCal and Iowa shells respectively I don't know.

Speed...Terrible...this was a known factor going in to it BUT I still think she could use a touch more speed, like 2 knots more and give back US Standard their speed retention when turning (this applies to ALL of them, not just the new ones).

Survivability...not bad, her armor scheme isn't RU BB levels but it seems to do the job well enough the only thing really lacking is the nerfed heal on her, personally I'd bring her heal back up to the US standard.

So overall she's clearly the star of the show of the 2nd US BB line with the Kansas and Minne basically being turds. I had enough Free XP saved to grind out the Kansas on my Colorado and then skip straight to the tier 10 since I'd heard the tier 8 and 9 are either A) Terrible (Kansas) or B) Meh (Minnesota).

Minor tweaks I'd personally like to see, drop the reload down to 38 seconds, increase speed to 25 knots with the old US standard speed retention in place and the US standard heal.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Members
9,327 posts
14,219 battles

yea, out of the 3, the Vermont really seems to be the one whose justified in having a 40 second reload and a 23 knot top speed to outset the broadside of 12 US 18" guns, Kansas and Minnesota feel like they could be a little bit faster and have a slightly lower reload 35 possibly for Kansas but she keeps the 1.5 sigma, soon to be 1.6 if  that buff goes through, and Minnesota being about 38 seconds on reload, but to be honest, she seems to do fine with running the reload module to get her reload down to 35 seconds, speed wise, id say 25 knots would be better, still slowest at tier, but not insanely slow, but we'll see how things go now that theyre all open to the general playerbase

Edited by tcbaker777

[DVYJC]
Members
4,651 posts
12,893 battles
43 minutes ago, Yandere_Roon said:

Guns...VERY punchy, sure the reload is (very) slow but when you have salvos that regularly hit VERY hard it doesn't seem so bad. She also seems to have very good AP pen values even at long ranges unlike the Kansas and the Minnesota, why those two couldn't get the NorCal and Iowa shells respectively I don't know.

Speed...Terrible...this was a known factor going in to it BUT I still think she could use a touch more speed, like 2 knots more and give back US Standard their speed retention when turning (this applies to ALL of them, not just the new ones).

Survivability...not bad, her armor scheme isn't RU BB levels but it seems to do the job well enough the only thing really lacking is the nerfed heal on her, personally I'd bring her heal back up to the US standard.

So overall she's clearly the star of the show of the 2nd US BB line with the Kansas and Minne basically being turds. I had enough Free XP saved to grind out the Kansas on my Colorado and then skip straight to the tier 10 since I'd heard the tier 8 and 9 are either A) Terrible (Kansas) or B) Meh (Minnesota).

Minor tweaks I'd personally like to see, drop the reload down to 38 seconds, increase speed to 25 knots with the old US standard speed retention in place and the US standard heal.

So... par for the course. Here's a new tech tree line. Here's what makes it so cool!

Oh and also, all the things that make it so cool are only on the Tier X. Have fun grinding!

• Funny 1

[SALVO]
Members
26,854 posts
33,123 battles
1 hour ago, Yandere_Roon said:

I didn't find the Minnesota to be a turd.  It seemed pretty good to me.  Sure, it's AP is a bit weak, but not as bad as some other BBs' AP in the game happen to be.

I do agree that a minor buff to speed and reload would be nice, as well as the speed retention thing.

[UNC]
Members
987 posts
6,682 battles
On 12/3/2020 at 12:01 AM, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

So... par for the course. Here's a new tech tree line. Here's what makes it so cool!

Oh and also, all the things that make it so cool are only on the Tier X. Have fun grinding!

This is the Way.

I hated Minnesota and gave up on it after 6 games.  Decided to FXP Vermont and while I kind of hate to admit it, I am enjoying it thus far.  The speed is painful, but that wasn't news and was one of the reasons I sat on the fence before taking the plunge.  The guns absolutely make Vermont, and they are outstanding.  First salvo in my first game in Vermont and I hit a Thunderer 22km away for 57k damage.  Followed up a few minutes later with a 20k salvo.  Didn't finish him then, but didn't see him again until the end of the match.  Still trying to figure out the lead though, as Vermont's shells don't lose speed the same way as other USN BBs so its a bit different. 

Small sample size of course, but 17 games in and I have an 83% WR and 111k average damage in Vermont.  I HATE slow ships.  But the guns are worth it. 

[HMCS]
Members
5 posts
15,167 battles

Agreed to what all is said.  The Vermont has GREAT guns, and everything else is underwhelming to say the least.  But with that said, I can't stop playing it!!  I'm a big fan of those 30,000 Salvo's!!

[LOIN]
Supertester
861 posts

Vermont's armor I think should be increased. This is a Tillman so, they could increase by alot. That way, U.S repair party wouldn't be necessary. I would also increase the speed to 25 knots atleast, and increase the ship's accuracy. If something has to be sacrificed, then decrease the firing range.

Members
98 posts
7,766 battles

I've sailed mine 5 times in the last two weeks. It's way too slow, and even with the advancements added, it does not land shots as like other ships. I've been using HE rounds, and seems to do almost decent damage, but on average, can't hit squat. Every battle so far ends in death, and loosing coin. May try AP rounds, and see if any better results. Not happy with this Barge at all. Believe Thunderer is a much better BB ship, by far.

[P2W]
Members
615 posts
7,840 battles

I see more over pens on this ship than most of my other T10s, it it pretty underwhelming, the accuracy does not offset the slow reload.

• Cool 1

Members
98 posts
7,766 battles

Since my post here in January, I can safely say this ship is pitiful. I actually look for it on opposing team, and sink them (easily) with my Thunderer or Hindenburg. Too slow to reload, and if they miss, they are a huge target you can pound for good hits.   When submarines finally are out (2025??), it will be mincemeat. I'll keep it only because it would be such a big loss to sell.  

[WAMMY]
Members
2,650 posts
15,243 battles

Hey

Vermont and the rest of the American alt. BB line is garbage.  And Vermont is the best of the bunch; if they could have it wiggle its fanny like the slow Warspite it could be useful, but who is the idiots that find a 40 second reload good is beyond me, it's downright boring because if you miss a shot and wait another 40 seconds, take a shot and maybe only get 1 or 2 hits, wait another 40 seconds, your not getting much damage output or helping your team in anyway.  It's worthless as a team support BB!  They could make it 30 second reload and it still would'nt be OP since your ship is so slow to reposition, can't dodge torps (they always cause a flood), eats HE fires like hell through your HP, you are so team reliant during storms that your practically useless, it's very inflexible.  The entire line is SO Boring, it needs a serious rework and is useless for clan battles, as the Montana is a much, much better BB overall.  Ohio better yet.  Not like you get rewarded consistently for well placed shots in BB's in general these days with all of the ricochets, and over pens.

Pete

[UNC]
Members
987 posts
6,682 battles

I still think Kansas is bad and Minnesota is meh, but I also still think Vermont is quite good despite the speed and reload.  I am 32 games in (still a small sample size, I know) but running about a 72% WR and averaging 109k damage per game and that is with only a 28% MBHR so I know I could do better.  For comparison, my Montana has a 48% WR and 107k average damage in a bit over double the number of games.  I like Monty but can't buy a win in it; my Vermont stats may normalize downwards somewhat as I play it more, hard to say.  But I still say Vermont (and Monty) are good ships, though Vermont clearly won't get along with everyone.

[ALL41]
Beta Testers
2,589 posts
11,304 battles

Vermont guns got ninja nerfed this last patch though. Either the vertical dispersion was increased or the sigma was reduced.... if one checks your month old Vermont battle recordings and see every single salvo splashing or hitting the water you can see how much tighter they land compared to now ...and this is now consistent. You can test this easily by going to training server, choosing a BB as target and shooting it broadside a couple dozen times. You will never get the tight dispersion you see in your pre-patch videos. Before the shells would almost all splash inside the beam width of a broadside target even at 32km ... now they splash 3x that width at any range. :( 

[WAMMY]
Members
2,650 posts
15,243 battles

Hey 

For me; I can sum up Vermont in 3 letters:  POS!   It's absolutely no fun to play, boring, does nothing well.  I'm planning on selling it and the rest of the American Alt line.  Shot a Conqueror in slow reverse at 8.3km with the 6 front guns, waterline shot, and got 3 shells landed short in the water, 1 over pen, 1 ricochet, 1 went over.  And secondary hits: 3.  I died shortly thereafter, it was a big WTH moment.  That was the last straw.

P.S. And I see my post get censored.

Pete

Edited by sasquatch_research

Sign in to follow this