You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
John370

Aiming problem

9 comments in this topic

[BNRJ]
Members
140 posts
5,616 battles

How do I get my guns to follow the ship I want to target? I just missed a broadside cruiser because my guns automatically followed and ranged on a ds that passed in front of the cruiser (i wasn’t trying to hit the dd)? I didn’t hit x for either ship. Do I need to aim at the cruiser and hit x to break my target lock on the dd? And why did my tracking system automatically lock in a ship I didn’t want to shoot?

[WORX]
Members
11,916 posts
19,466 battles
10 minutes ago, John370 said:

I didn’t hit x for either ship.

Hitting "X" is not the only way your FC will move to a different ship..

Your mouse will do so when its extremely close to a target.

So I recommend to pay attention to where your aim is located.. If it switches to the wrong ship just press "X" to change it back.

[BNRJ]
Members
140 posts
5,616 battles
4 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

Hitting "X" is not the only way your FC will move to a different ship..

Your mouse will do so when its extremely close to a target.

So I recommend to pay attention to where your aim is located.. If it switches to the wrong ship just press "X" to change it back.

In this case I flipped my radar on and was presented with a crossing dd, and a stationary broadside cruiser. I tried to aim at the cruiser but for whatever reason the AI though I wanted to hit the dd - I was in a Tallinn, so my first volet missed because of the FC issue, and by the time I tried to re-aim the radar was off.  Frustrating. 

[WORX]
Members
11,916 posts
19,466 battles
1 minute ago, John370 said:

In this case I flipped my radar on and was presented with a crossing dd, and a stationary broadside cruiser. I tried to aim at the cruiser but for whatever reason the AI though I wanted to hit the dd - I was in a Tallinn, so my first volet missed because of the FC issue, and by the time I tried to re-aim the radar was off.  Frustrating. 

DD was closer... Where ever you mouse aims, it will target the closet target to you.

[BNRJ]
Members
140 posts
5,616 battles
8 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

DD was closer... Where ever you mouse aims, it will target the closet target to you.

Ok. Thanks. So I need to hit x to break the lock and target my desired ship?

[WORX]
Members
11,916 posts
19,466 battles
Just now, John370 said:

At issue, your mouse is going to aim at the closest ship to the recticle. It happens all the time, you can practice in the training room how the mouse chooses for you the closest ship for you to shoot at.

All you have to do, just move the mouse to the ship you want to aim and it will change back. As soon as the other ship is not considered "close," it will move to the ship you're aiming at with the mouse. 

Of course, the quickest way is to just press X along with the mouse, pointing at the ship you want to shoot.

• Thanks 1

[NSEW]
Members
2,139 posts
11,451 battles

I would develope a habit of pressing X key to highlight/lock on to the target ship with the aim pointer twice before committing.

• Thanks 1

[PVE]
Members
7,238 posts
23,105 battles
1 hour ago, John370 said:

How do I get my guns to follow the ship I want to target? I just missed a broadside cruiser because my guns automatically followed and ranged on a ds that passed in front of the cruiser (i wasn’t trying to hit the dd)? I didn’t hit x for either ship. Do I need to aim at the cruiser and hit x to break my target lock on the dd? And why did my tracking system automatically lock in a ship I didn’t want to shoot?

Aiming at the cruiser & hitting X is fastest way but just aiming at the cruiser will eventually cause it to lock back onto it... although it will still try to follow the DD while it is locked onto it.

It's not a bug in any way though & can actually be used strategically to defend allies by breaking ships locks on them which generally causes shells to land between the 2 ships when locked on 1 & aiming at another.

At this point I can only say congrats on taking over 4k battles before it happened to you.

• Thanks 1

[WOLFG]
Members
31,245 posts
9,606 battles
3 hours ago, John370 said:

Yup.

Usually, it will automatically target the right ship, but it'll do silly things sometimes.

I found that remapping the X key to the space bar made it easier to target/untarget ships at will.

• Thanks 1