You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
_Sang

Kansas worse BB VIII??

27 comments in this topic

[BS]
[BS]
Alpha Tester
534 posts
5,025 battles

I got no cits on close range CA's twice. Reload is really really bad. Anyone else thoughts? I am confused what to do with this hunk of metal even though I played very few games in it so far? 

https://clips.twitch.tv/NastyBlindingEndiveGingerPower

WorseBB8.png

Update: I would call this a relaxing ship for slow people like my self lol. Yeah I ripped on my self. For real, just kick back some chill music and hit broad sides. About the only thing I can say and you don't want to get caught by a DD alone with its very slow reload.

But maybe; just maybe HE is the way to go?

HEKansas.png

Edited by _Sang
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Members
1,820 posts
27,169 battles

I don't think anyone has used or talked about Kansas yet, so we're all surprised and horrified at your initial experience with this new, unknown boat.

• Funny 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

[1CVDV]
Members
233 posts
11,860 battles

first off,it's not an medal.....lol.everyone knows its a relatively piss poor ship.where have you been...

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[XXX]
Members
627 posts
1,571 battles

currently blowing flags and such to grind to the Kansas...

...and then promptly use some of my 400k free XP to skip straight past her..

Edited by Yandere_Roon
  • Cool 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,581 posts
21,044 battles

Kansas is definitely a contender for worst T8 BB. Everything that's supposed to be in its "strong" column is short-circuited by something in its "bad" column, so it just ends up being bad.

Heavy broadside doesn't matter because its accuracy is so crap you get the same number of shells on target in the end... oh, but it also has the slow reload on top of that, so it's one plus and two minus.

Top-in-tier torpedo protection? Useless, since the ship is so slow it's stuck in the back of the fleet anyway and not getting torped... and also, it takes more torps because it's too slow to dodge, so there's another +1/-2.

AA power would be great as part of a group, but again, it's too slow to keep up with the fleet and so it ends up having to AA solo... which as we know doesn't work no matter how much AA power you've got.

In short, Kansas is a terrible ship designed to get you to spent FXP getting past it.

Edited by Edgecase
  • Cool 2

[BS]
[BS]
Alpha Tester
534 posts
5,025 battles
6 minutes ago, theLaalaa said:

I don't think anyone has used or talked about Kansas yet, so we're all surprised and horrified at your initial experience with this new, unknown boat.

Yeah I know.

I feel maybe a reload consumable? Maybe this would help it?

[BS]
[BS]
Alpha Tester
534 posts
5,025 battles
2 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

Kansas is definitely a contender for worst T8 BB. Everything that's supposed to be in its "strong" column is short-circuited by something in its "bad" column, so it just ends up being bad. Heavy broadside doesn't matter because its accuracy is so crap you get the same number of shells on target in the end... oh, but it also has the slow reload on top of that, so it's one plus and two minus. Top-in-tier torpedo protection? Useless, since the ship is so slow it's stuck in the back of the fleet anyway and not getting torped. AA power would be great as part of a group, but again, it's too slow to keep up with the fleet and so it ends up having to AA solo... which as we know doesn't work no matter how much AA power you've got. It's a terrible ship designed to get you to spent FXP getting past it.

Yeah I wasted a lot of FXP but hey I am going to try to have fun with it. I am used to playing ships like this and destroying my WR lol

[REVY]
Members
2,572 posts
13,845 battles

Kansas is a decent boat. She is not OP, she is slow, and has a reload that goes to Cleveland before arriving at the breech.

She is workable though.

I would suggest trying her out in Co-Op. She can smack cruisers hard, but like several high tier US BBs, you have to be the right distance. Too close and you'll just overpen.

She really is more of a long range sniper. Gun range is very good which does make up for her slow speed. But you have to aim her right as it'll be 40 seconds before you guns are ready to go again.

You might as well get used to Kansas gameplay because her line stays fairly much the same. Slow ships with long reloads.

Edited by Lord_Slayer

Members
1,578 posts
22,927 battles

Kansas is better than Monarch. Its not that bad of a ship, it does require game knowledge and at times a touch of RNG but it is serviceable.

[BS]
[BS]
Alpha Tester
534 posts
5,025 battles
16 minutes ago, Lord_Slayer said:

Kansas is a decent boat. She is not OP, she is slow, and has a reload that goes to Cleveland before arriving at the breech.

She is workable though.

I would suggest trying her out in Co-Op. She can smack cruisers hard, but like several high tier US BBs, you have to be the right distance. Too close and you'll just overpen.

She really is more of a long range sniper. Gun range is very good which does make up for her slow speed. But you have to aim her right as it'll be 40 seconds before you guns are ready to go again.

Like this? 

RangeKansas.png

[1CVDV]
Members
233 posts
11,860 battles
7 minutes ago, Alabamastan said:

Kansas is better than Monarch. Its not that bad of a ship, it does require game knowledge and at times a touch of RNG but it is serviceable.

monarch is not a great boat by any means,definetly meh at best.but I do disagree with that statement.monarch atleast has speed and a decent rate of fire to to help your tem and get herself out of danger with decent concealment as well....

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[BS]
[BS]
Alpha Tester
534 posts
5,025 battles

Might be a tuff ship to get 100k in depending on situations. I find my self seeing broadsides in front of me but cant fire cause waiting for 40sec reload.

100KKansas.png

Members
1,578 posts
22,927 battles
40 minutes ago, Saxon29 said:

monarch is not a great boat by any means,definetly meh at best.but I do disagree with that statement.monarch atleast has speed and a decent rate of fire to to help your tem and get herself out of danger with decent concealment as well....

And she has an exposed citadel and 15" guns with no so great firing angles to trade. I didn't have an issue with Monarch, I don't have an issue with Kansas. They are two different ships with different playstyles. I feel that in any given match I can have more presence in a game in Kansas for the simple fact if I need to I can tank. Sometimes just the fact you can keep or force people out of areas with your bulk and HP is worth it in a BB. If nothing else I can do that, I don't have to play a class of ship that does not have any of the benefits of that class and then rely on someone else to do my job for me. Monarch is very bad at doing BB things and not overly great at doing cruiser things, but that's the British BB line from T7 onward really.

Edited by Alabamastan

[-BUI-]
Members
2,446 posts
6,435 battles

The 3 new American BBs are all the worst BBs in the game at those tiers.   Super great design by WG, very worthwhile use of time and resources to make 3 ships nobody wants to play.   They all give up TONS of survivability, speed, accuracy, for 3 guns...that will probably miss anyway, its such a pathetically designed ship.

Its very telling that with every new line, you generally see all the new ships out and about very soon, even during the early release phase.   

While I did see a Kansas here and there (which always scored near the bottom in XP), I have still yet to even see a Minnesota.   I expect Vermont will be the most played of the 3 in a few months time, but I don't see any sane player who wants to have a good time using any of these on a regular basis.

This'll also go for the new Hizen thats in testing, which'll be the new dockyard ship, it has a 38s reload.

Edited by Zenn3k
  • Boring 1

[BS]
[BS]
Alpha Tester
534 posts
5,025 battles
39 minutes ago, Zenn3k said:

The 3 new American BBs are all the worst BBs in the game at those tiers.   Super great design by WG, very worthwhile use of time and resources to make 3 ships nobody wants to play.   They all give up TONS of survivability, speed, accuracy, for 3 guns...that will probably miss anyway, its such a pathetically designed ship.

Its very telling that with every new line, you generally see all the new ships out and about very soon, even during the early release phase.   

While I did see a Kansas here and there (which always scored near the bottom in XP), I have still yet to even see a Minnesota.   I expect Vermont will be the most played of the 3 in a few months time, but I don't see any sane player who wants to have a good time using any of these on a regular basis.

This'll also go for the new Hizen thats in testing, which'll be the new dockyard ship, it has a 38s reload.

I actually kind of like it now. HE all the way. Watch the ship burn while waiting for your 40sec reload, which seems more effective than AP in my opinion :cap_rambo:

KansasGud.png

Edited by _Sang

[A-I-M]
Members
3,586 posts
14,479 battles
2 hours ago, Saxon29 said:

first off,it's not an medal.....lol.everyone knows its a relatively piss poor ship.where have you been...

First off, it’s not “an medal” either, Shakespeare.

“A medal”

”A medal”

”A medal”

[-BUI-]
Members
2,446 posts
6,435 battles
16 minutes ago, _Sang said:

I actually kind of like it now. HE all the way. Watch the ship burn while waiting for your 40sec reload, which seems more effective than AP in my opinion :cap_rambo:

KansasGud.png

That's fine, but if you wanna play an HE spammer, there are much better choices out there.

• Cool 1

[BS]
[BS]
Alpha Tester
534 posts
5,025 battles
3 minutes ago, Zenn3k said:

That's fine, but if you wanna play an HE spammer, there are much better choices out there.

This is true :cap_yes:

[1CVDV]
Members
233 posts
11,860 battles
10 minutes ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

First off, it’s not “an medal” either, Shakespeare.

“A medal”

”A medal”

”A medal”

well thanks for pointing that out for me Einstein.i caught that after I posted...you got me...

[BUOY]
Members
1,129 posts
15,596 battles

How to make Kansas somewhat fun and even meme worthy IME.

1. Get a DCP special module since the upper works of this tub are apparently made of marshmallow and once you're at half health the direct shell damage you'll be taking falls off a cliff. It's the DOTs that'll whittle you down too fast for the strategy to work and so marginalizing that damage is paramount. To that end your captain needs to be a full tank BB  build aside from speccing into Adrenaline Rush before anything.

2. When you get into battle, push into as central a position as you're able to and / or push your closest cap. A central position means you don't have to worry about the red team lemming to one flank or the other and pushing the closest cap can lead to memes.

3. Get chunked to half health and move into a kiting position if you're being pushed since just because you're slow means nothing if you're not actually running. Randoms aren't Clan Battles and baiting players into overextending to try and 'run you over' can easily be done at 10-15 knots... but you have to do this while most of your team is still alive to take advantage of the crossfire you created. And if you aren't being pushed? Keep pushing... solo caps may await! 

4. And if your team is made of starch and are all dead before you've even gotten into position? Well... outside of putting on some super unicum carry pants that match was a loss anyway since playing the Kansas cautiously only emphasizes this tub's biggest flaw in being utterly worthless to actually winning a match if played 'cautiously.'

Members
428 posts
16,889 battles

I find her to be fine? Small sample size, but averaging 10k more than any other tier 8 bb.

Consistent ~10k per salvo regardless of matchup. Hard to citadel, enough AA to dissuade tier 6-8 CVs, and her short length makes it hard to get dev struck by torp soup.

You just kind of float in the middle of the map just outside of spotting range soaking damage and chunking people every ~45 seconds. Y'know... typical BB things.

[A-I-M]
Members
3,586 posts
14,479 battles
54 minutes ago, Saxon29 said:

well thanks for pointing that out for me Einstein.i caught that after I posted...you got me...

Could be worse:  you could have been the guy I bashed in the forum three days ago because he bashed another guy who “spelt” a word wrong. I kid you not.

He didn’t have the guts to answer back. Well, you are to be saluted for that.

[WOLF3]
Members
28,829 posts
25,065 battles

The best thing that can be said about Kansas and Minnesota are the signs saying you're leaving them.

Like many of these ship line / line split releases since the RU BB Line release, the only good ships are at the very end.

Kansas is the lowest of the low for the USN Standards:

- Slow speed, which is punishing in High Tier.

- Slow 40 seconds reload.  If RNG screws you over or your aim wasn't good, then RIP.

- Soft exterior armor all over the place.  HE Spammers and IJN 460mm+ AP users will LOVE YOU.

- Worst accuracy of all High Tier USN BBs:  1.6 Sigma.  Do remember you have an awful 40 seconds reload.

- Tier IX MinneSLOWta and X Vermont, by virtue of being Tier IX-X USN Battleships, have access to Slot 6 upgrades.  In there, USN BBs have the option to choose the USN BB exclusive APRM2 for 11% Dispersion Buff or MBM3 for reload buffing.  VIII Kansas and North Carolina do not have access to this.  NC at least has 30 seconds reload and 2.0 Sigma.  Reasonably fast reload and good accuracy.  Kansas has neither, and there is literally no means in improving either reload, accuracy for her.

This is a terrible Battleship.  It's a self propelled target drone for the red team to go skeet shooting against.

Tier V Oklahoma is trash, but at least she has Mega Secondaries which are strong her for tier.  VIII Kansas doesn't even have that.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[-FINS]
Beta Testers
6 posts
3,834 battles

I play a lot of battleships and spent the last few weeks getting exp on the Colorado in anticipation for the new US line. I am so DISAPPOINTED.  I did not enjoy playing the Colorado but it at least had some decent guns where you could dish out damage if left unchecked. In the 20 or so games I have played the Kansas, it just generates frustration. The AA is great, but do to the nature of CV's right now you'll still take lots of damage if they focus you and you're too slow and too big to dodge anything. The only way you can play the ship is to camp in the back. But, while you camp in the back, you'll only be hitting 1-3 shots a most because of how inaccurate the guns are, not to mention, those shots will probably ricochet. The only good thing about this ship is the AA, and I don't think anyone wants to play this line just for the AA. Its boring and not rewarding, and when people decide to focus you, don't expect to block anything, every hit will do 4 - 10k in damage to the ship.

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
1,781 posts
5,433 battles

I sold it this morning. It was fun but not the BB for the game. Its usually over before the BB gets anywhere near the fight. And there is no point in plinking with it because it gets you detected early and farmed off for damage by every red in range.