Sign in to follow this  
Tigerspook

Duke of York 12/1/2020

13 comments in this topic

Members
203 posts
5,549 battles

How is the DoY at the end of 2020?  Previously, I heard little good about it, and then I read there were some buffs. Now the boat is available for coal. Is it worth 100,000 coal? 

[RLGN]
Members
15,184 posts
26,825 battles

In recent memory, I can only recall seeing it in battle once.

Good or bad, it’s definitely rare.

Beta Testers
3,281 posts
26,944 battles
24 minutes ago, Shannon_Lindsey said:

It's a premium British battleship that has hydro. It's not OP. Personally, I like it.

Same...................

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
5,199 posts
12,101 battles
15 minutes ago, Tigerspook said:

How is the DoY at the end of 2020?  Previously, I heard little good about it, and then I read there were some buffs. Now the boat is available for coal. Is it worth 100,000 coal? 

I don't remember it getting any buffs. 

It's still KGV with worse RoF, slightly worse rudder shift, but better mid-short range AA (but slightly worse long range AA due to inexplicably weaker flak bursts and DPS), can't be sure about differences in secondary guns, and has hydro instead of spotter/fighter. A lot of the salt over the ship was because she was supposed to be a BB with no repair but cruiser DEF AA which was way too overpowered air defence and too much potential weakness lacking repair - so instead of a specialized consumable like on Hood but toned down with an option to swap it for repair party which would have placated all parties they gave us the current ship. That however, is a rebuke of Wargaming and their handling of feedback, as usual, not the ship - as well as some for the community behavior because they wanted a ship that could literally lay waste to the air groups of 2 Lexington's simultaneously under RTS by itself let alone with teamwork or worse a division of them completely immune to the CV in the match (as it was around this time tier 8 was more often 1 CV games). 

As to the ship itself - it is very much, other than the AA (and even then KGV still has good AA so it's not a drastic improvement) an inferior KGV, that said, it's KGV with no need to have a captain trained, bonus income, and constantly underestimated as she was nicknamed 'Duke of Yuck' and the like. Despite the salt at her release and all that - I've liked it since day 1 I got it. Here's a match from the 11-27 (other than lazy I'm not editing names out cause everyone actually did well on both sides and it was a good game - no shame).

Spoiler

shot-20_11.27_04_20.36-0399.thumb.jpg.2743378430b02cea7c68240a38a79d58.jpgshot-20_11.27_04_20.34-0164.thumb.jpg.0de66a9fe95e625a0a4e41ee3881b760.jpgshot-20_11.27_04_20.41-0385.thumb.jpg.d8f3691f96d8c48cbc11b3636af299a2.jpg

I will note that my death is actually featured in that screenshot - I was around 25% HP and while I could have easily missed the Shokaku (who did try to miss me) decided to end the match faster by opting to ram him instead of the minute or two killing him with guns would have taken. And the low plane count beyond fighters was that by this point as it was a prolonged match, and he was scrambling what he had left to try and sink me before I got to him so it was a good 3-5 minutes of me dodging fire, using sectors, etc travelling halfway or more across the map to kill him. 

But this is also me, I hear Colorado is great, I'm bad in it, people say DoY is trash - and well, as you can see despite being AA/secondary hybrid build (that's right, this is with no standard survivability build beyond Superintendent and the modernizations)I'm top of the scoreboard in a tier 9 match. 

[CRUEL]
Members
500 posts
8,504 battles

65% wr so far in mine. It's great at randoms and doesn't mind being bottom tier when you use he. I did find that in ranked in tier 7 it tends to struggle against sinop or Nelson. But overall it's a fun ship. 

[ARS]
Beta Testers
5,327 posts
5,803 battles

It is one of only two BBs that have improved bounce angles on its AP shells.  Like Hood it has the American CA bounce angles on its AP shells.

Members
203 posts
5,549 battles

4th game, I was top tier but not criminally so.  Got it for 75k coal with a coupon. So far so good!

photo_2020-12-03_21-32-09.jpg

Edited by Tigerspook

[UN1]
Members
1,295 posts
4,045 battles
On 12/1/2020 at 6:46 PM, Tigerspook said:

I don't personally have it, but my buddy does.  It's a lot better than most people give it credit for.  The reload isn't as fast as the KGV, but the AP is a lot more usable and reliable (improved AP angles are always fantastic), and the AA on it is stout.  Personally, I'd love to get my hands on one.  I'd rather have a DoY than my Hood.

[GRETA]
Members
133 posts
2,393 battles

So the Duke if Yorck is worth the coal? I already have the Nelson and the Hood and looking at coal ships I might add to my port.

I'm slightly tempted to get the DoY now for coal since if almost got enough for her and I do like playing battleships. However I coulf also grind for one if the T9 coal ships ( I probably won't make it to Georga in time before she is removed though)

[WAMMY]
Members
2,517 posts
13,998 battles

Hey

I like the DOY myself and do better with it than the KGV on average.  I think its a under appreciated boat due to the hype it got in the development cycle, and early CC video's.  I for one like it.

Pete

[GC]
Alpha Tester
856 posts
4,223 battles

It's not as bad as everyone made it out to be. I actually prefer it to the tech tree KGV; the hydro lets you push into positions that would be too risky otherwise, and the improved normalization of the AP is definitely a nice perk. I'd say it's definitely worth the 75000 coal if you don't need the coupon for something else.

--Helms

Members
333 posts
25 battles

Likewise after pilling up over 466000 coal (on my main EU account) with no ship I have wanted I finally pulled the trigger as I really had been surprised by how much I liked KGV back when I was grinding the line in December 2019 and honestly there wasn't anything for sale with coal that seemed more appealing than a Premium variant of a tech tree ship I enjoyed.

I've found the AP with improved angles is surprisingly effective, it wrecks cruisers. Likewise it can take big chucks out of other battleships even when they angle but just don't expect to citadel them often.

I've rather enjoyed having more reason to stick to AP rather than reach for god tier HE spam.... but still having said HE spam when uptiered.

I do think it's very hard to argue against KGV being obviously the stronger ship esp. given it has 18% better RoF and access to a spotter plane. As nice as hydro can be in certain situations.

My biggest problem with DoY is the 17.5s rudder shift which is frustrating (esp. given KGV has 15 with the B hull) but somewhat loathe to get rid of DCSM2 in slot 4 for better rudder shift. I've had one awkward beaching incident arising from this.

Also the KGV & DoY armour should probably be relatively better for various and dubious historical comparisons but I understand they have to fit it into the generic 26mm rules of tier 7 battleships.

Currently I'm actually doing slightly better in average damage with DoY than KGV (oddly a years extra experience playing and 20pt Andrew Cunningham helps...).

Overall I think DoY is actually a very good design for what Premium ships probably should be for a health game. - a variant of a tech tree ship with changes that don't make her obviously better. Shame more aren't designed like this, but then they're likely to be less appealing.

For those unaware, DoY was actually buffed (and arguably also nerfed) back in update 0.8.6, it regained a use of Repair Party to make it functionally identical to KGV.

Spoiler

British battleships King George V, Lion, Duke of York, Monarch, and Conqueror

The citadel has been elevated and now occupies part of the ships' casemates. The Repair Party consumable has been changed:

• The restoration of the casemate (non-citadel) damage has been increased from 60% to 75%.
  • VII Duke of York will get one extra charge of the consumable.
  • VII King George V, VII Duke of York and Monarch will now have 0.6% restored of their maximum HP pool per second as opposed to 0.5% as it was previously.
  • For VII King George V, VIII Monarch and VII Duke of York, the cooldown time of the Repair Party consumable has been reduced from 120 to 90 seconds.
  • For IX Lion and X Conqueror, the cooldown time has been reduced from 180 to 120 seconds.

Exposing their broadsides to an enemy’s salvo is the worst mistake most ships can make. However, due to their low-sitting citadels and long-distance combat tactics, the consequences of such an error for Royal Navy battleships were much less tangible. These changes will enable enemy ships to teach British battleships a good lesson about the results of carelessly exposing their broadsides by causing them some consider

Edited by SoothingWhaleSongEU

Sign in to follow this