You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
OnociTsalk

Flint coming for coal - study in ship stats

43 comments in this topic

[MHG]
Members
331 posts
20,217 battles

The Flint currently sits far atop the stat pile on the T7 cruiser list. With it about to be available for coal starting tomorrow, I think it will be interesting to see if it drops in rating. There will be another drop in ratings once the commander rework hit as it will not be able to equip AFT spec, keeping its maximum base firing range of 11.1 instead of 13.3. I wonder if WG is going to increase its stock range, if not enjoy your Flint, new and old customers as the skill rework is about to hit in 2 months from now - patch 0.10.1.

P.S. also thanks in advance to all those who gonna help increase our PR by bringing down the server stats of the ship. Will be worth visiting in a couple of months

image.thumb.png.62a14679d0a36395466f0c6e5487a153.png

• Thanks 1
  • Meh 1

[GGWP]
Members
7,214 posts
16,759 battles
22 minutes ago, OnociTsalk said:

The Flint currently sits far atop the stat pile on the T7 cruiser list. With it about to be available for coal starting tomorrow, I think it will be interesting to see if it drops in rating. There will be another drop in ratings once the commander rework hit as it will not be able to equip AFT spec, keeping its maximum base firing range of 11.1 instead of 13.3. I wonder if WG is going to increase its stock range, if not enjoy your Flint, new and old customers as the skill rework is about to hit in 2 months from now - patch 0.10.1.

P.S. also thanks in advance to all those who gonna help increase our PR by bringing down the server stats of the ship. Will be worth visiting in a couple of months

image.thumb.png.62a14679d0a36395466f0c6e5487a153.png

I expect Flint and atlanta to get some range buff, along with some destroyers. Will we see the full 13.3? Not likely, but I would bank on 12ish. 

The problem with taking aft away, is not only does it nerf damage output somewhat, it also nerfs survivability. So they can't say that one of the junk skills they are putting into this rebork will compensate fully. 

• Cool 3
  • Thanks 1

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
2,839 battles
15 minutes ago, DuckyShot said:

So they can't say that one of the junk skills they are putting into this rebork will compensate fully.

:cap_haloween:

They can SAY anything...but that doesnt mean we have to buy what they say.

;)

[WOLFG]
Members
11,188 posts
10,423 battles
16 minutes ago, DuckyShot said:

So they can't say 

I see you are new around here.

And I am slow on the draw.

Edited by DrHolmes52

[KWF]
Members
5,253 posts
6,659 battles

If Flint were to come out tomorrow and  Operation earnings weren't nerfed this would have been an instant buy. Now not so much. Still, a better ship than Atlanta will ever be.

I remember when one of the scariest things to ever face at tier VII was a Flint/Atlanta/Belfast division....

Edited by warheart1992
  • Cool 1

[7AES]
Members
2,163 posts
33,460 battles

In lieu of a range buff CLs with gun caliber less than 130 don’t have citadels.

On second thought. Colbert and Austin waiting in the wings may be filthy sans citadel.

[7AES]
Members
2,163 posts
33,460 battles
4 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

If Flint were to come out tomorrow and  Operation earnings weren't nerfed this would have been an instant buy. Now not so much. Still, a better ship than Atlanta will ever be.

I remember when one of the scariest things to ever face at tier VII was a Flint/Atlanta/Belfast division....

Had a lot of fun doing one of those. At least we had fun, not so much for the other side. Had a smart DD just spot for us, give extra smoke and chuck torps at them out too.

[MHG]
Members
331 posts
20,217 battles
1 hour ago, DuckyShot said:

I expect Flint and atlanta to get some range buff, along with some destroyers. Will we see the full 13.3? Not likely, but I would bank on 12ish. 

The problem with taking aft away, is not only does it nerf damage output somewhat, it also nerfs survivability. So they can't say that one of the junk skills they are putting into this rebork will compensate fully. 

Agree. Hopefully the Colbert too receives a similar baked in buff. I wouldn't mind if the Smolensk didn't get one, it already is infamous for being OP.

Edited by OnociTsalk

[MHG]
Members
331 posts
20,217 battles
33 minutes ago, Wye_So_Serious said:

On second thought. Colbert and Austin waiting in the wings may be filthy sans citadel.

Not sure I understood what you mean. Are they going to remove citadels from ships having <130mm caliber or is it going to be a captain skill, or did I completely miss the point?

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,776 posts
712 battles
8 minutes ago, OnociTsalk said:

Not sure I understood what you mean. Are they going to remove citadels from ships having <130mm caliber or is it going to be a captain skill, or did I completely miss the point?

He's suggesting that if they aren't going to buff the range on small gun cruisers they should remove the citadels.

Which is something I can get behind to an extent. Honestly though I think citadel chunking is poor game design no matter what ships they're on. 

[WOLFG]
Members
1,008 posts

Aren't most of these Flint numbers from before the HE and armor changes.  People are going to read this and think that Flint is a great ship.  Not anymore.  The HE/armor changes hurt this badly and the 'new and improved' commanders skills will be the nail in the coffin. 

[FOXY]
Members
1,211 posts
5,765 battles
5 minutes ago, ramp4ge said:

He's suggesting that if they aren't going to buff the range on small gun cruisers they should remove the citadels.

Which is something I can get behind to an extent. Honestly though I think citadel chunking is poor game design no matter what ships they're on. 

49 minutes ago, Wye_So_Serious said:

If they made the Atlanta/Flint not be able to take citadels id die happy, but they still need to have at least a 1km range increase..i have DDs with longer ranges than the Atlanta, They are basically large DDs anyways especially with the 13MM of armor they have.

CLs that have effective armor, effective gun ranges or decent guns wouldnt need many buffs..some yes, but not all.

[BB35]
[BB35]
Members
506 posts
14,354 battles

Unless they do something for the removal of BFT and AFT, you're gonna get disappointed with the Atlanta and Flint. Both these boats took a HUGE hit with the IFHE NERF.

SO much of a hit, the Atlanta is now a port queen in my port. Not worth playing. Ships she played against got a armor buff and now she has a huge problem of penning them. If you get IFHE, you don't start fires like you did in the past. With the AFT removal of the captains skill, you have to get even closer to do damage. Also your rate of fire will not be the same anymore with the lack of BFT, again removal with captain skill rework.

4,776 posts
712 battles
12 minutes ago, Princess_Daystar said:

If they made the Atlanta/Flint not be able to take citadels id die happy, but they still need to have at least a 1km range increase..i have DDs with longer ranges than the Atlanta, They are basically large DDs anyways especially with the 13MM of armor they have.

CLs that have effective armor, effective gun ranges or decent guns wouldnt need many buffs..some yes, but not all.

And DDs still get AFT. Lol.

It's amazing, isn't it?

By their own logic, why do DDs need AFT when not all DDs are gunboats?

[PVE]
Members
7,314 posts
23,183 battles

Flint & Atlanta also got the rebork nerf in AA effectiveness loss along w/the IFHE nerf.

Taking away AFT (not only for range nerf but also as Ducky pointed out the minimal survivability nerf from the effects AFT has on AA) w/out some sort of compensation will be harsh to say the least.

Expecting something to balance it out...but expecting Flint to be pulled from armory (& Atlanta from premium shop...due to lack of sales of course) temporarily right before the announcement of those buffs so the "players that showed faith in WG to compensate by buying the Flint (or Atlanta) while it (they) was (were) available" will get the benefits & those that don't grab it while they can will just be left wanting until it (they) is (are) reintroed at a later time...to build up demand.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,505 posts
9,785 battles

Flint is not a good ship now. Avoid. 

[-TKS-]
Members
836 posts
15,686 battles
8 minutes ago, vak_ said:

Flint is not a good ship now. Avoid. 

weegee failed experiment of HE rework nerfed a lot of t7's cruisers they became bad. Actually i dont know why you'd buy a t7 cruiser . drop $26 for the ATL B . bottom tier or mid tier get [edited] , top tier ...eh 

* even knowing this i did buy the ATL B cause Atlanta dammit 

Edited by EyE_dYe_QuIck

[SBS]
Members
6,129 posts
51 minutes ago, Captain_Rawhide said:

Aren't most of these Flint numbers from before the HE and armor changes. 

You're right, the numbers are largely from when this ship was a reward that generally only highly skilled/experienced players earned.  I'm sure the numbers took a hit when it was made a steel ship, and then again when steel became easier to attain.  Let's look at some of the numbers for T7 cruisers from last week.  Flint is second best behind Belfast.  The Belfast is played almost twice as much as the Flint and it's still a strong enough ship to put much better numbers. http://maplesyrup.sweet.coocan.jp/wows/ranking/20201128/na_week/average_ship_u.html

Myoko 34,314
Yorck 33,929
Muenchen 38,210
Algerie 37,806
Fiji 39,843
Surrey 38,603
Belfast 51,924
Shchors 37,996
Lazo 39,765
Helena 33,497
New Orleans 30,855
Atlanta 30,175
Boise 35,413
Flint 45,866

[7AES]
Members
2,163 posts
33,460 battles
1 hour ago, OnociTsalk said:

DevBlog FAQ said they would monitor CLs that used to use AFT/BFT and buff accordingly.

I was simply suggesting not buffing the range, just make them into big destroyers by removing the citadel on said CLs

• Haha 1

[7AES]
Members
2,163 posts
33,460 battles
58 minutes ago, Princess_Daystar said:

Agreed, but at least we'd get longer to spam HE at sub-4 seconds once AR kicks in, with or without the additional range.

OR reduce detection to 8km. That could be nasty.

[SBS]
Members
6,129 posts
2 hours ago, DuckyShot said:

I hope you're right, but I fear this won't happen.  I think WG has an ax to grind with these small caliber gun cruisers.  Too much HE spam and it causes server lag.  Nothing a few nerfs won't fix though. 

[FOXY]
Members
1,211 posts
5,765 battles
7 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

I hope you're right, but I fear this won't happen.  I think WG has an ax to grind with these small caliber gun cruisers.  Too much HE spam and it causes server lag.  Nothing a few nerfs won't fix though. 

If they really wanted to change them there are sooo many other ways that wouldnt upset people or ruin premium ships though :(

[WOLF7]
Members
583 posts
9 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

You're right, the numbers are largely from when this ship was a reward that generally only highly skilled/experienced players earned.  I'm sure the numbers took a hit when it was made a steel ship, and then again when steel became easier to attain.  Let's look at some of the numbers for T7 cruisers from last week.  Flint is second best behind Belfast.  The Belfast is played almost twice as much as the Flint and it's still a strong enough ship to put much better numbers. http://maplesyrup.sweet.coocan.jp/wows/ranking/20201128/na_week/average_ship_u.html

Myoko 34,314
Yorck 33,929
Muenchen 38,210
Algerie 37,806
Fiji 39,843
Surrey 38,603
Belfast 51,924
Shchors 37,996
Lazo 39,765
Helena 33,497
New Orleans 30,855
Atlanta 30,175
Boise 35,413
Flint 45,866

Hilariously, Surrey is in 5th place there, out of 14 ships.

Tom Cruise evil funny laugh | Laugh meme, Tom cruise, Tom cruise meme

4,776 posts
712 battles
9 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

If that were true they wouldn't keep adding them.

We've got another one right over the horizon. 

I think it's more that Atlanta's an old ship and she was balanced back when they were still using the "The range is dictated by the height of the primary firecontrol director above the waterline" metric to determine range. Something they haven't even pretended to do in a long time. Most ships that were balanced this way (IE, the low-tier USN battleships) had their ranges normalized. Atlanta's just been ignored.

[SBS]
Members
6,129 posts
38 minutes ago, Princess_Daystar said:

If they really wanted to change them there are sooo many other ways that wouldnt upset people or ruin premium ships though :(

And what other way would there be that wouldn't upset people?  Look at the changes that will exclude fire prevention build for super cruisers.  You tell me if that isn't a nerf specifically aimed at super cruisers.  People don't like but WG is doing it anyway.

35 minutes ago, ramp4ge said:

If that were true they wouldn't keep adding them.

The Austin will be more balanced so it won't be overpopulated.  A T10 with 30k HP, fewer guns and longer reload than the Atlanta with the same 16mm paper armor.  To be fair, the Austin does have a vicious reload booster.  Even with the reload booster this ship won't be the next Smolensk.