You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Boggzy

Review: VERMONT

22 comments in this topic

[TNG]
WoWS Community Contributors
34 posts
10,247 battles

Hello, Heroes!

Got the chance to play Vermont and make a review so here is a 10-15 minute analysis and some gameplay to help you hit the ground running!

• Cool 3

[TNG]
34 posts
10,247 battles
3 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

That's a lot of superstructure.

It is maximum Chonk.  A 10.0 on the Chonkter scale.

[REVY]
Members
8,138 posts
6,118 battles
7 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

That's a lot of superstructure.

I saw Flamu's video.  Basically it is the ultimate glass cannon.  Tons of superstructure, massive citadel over the water, unable to angle to mitigate damage, extra weak heal with long cooldown and the slowest speed.  The only benefit to this misery is the guns are disgustingly good at long range.

[TNG]
34 posts
10,247 battles
Just now, Sventex said:

I saw Flamu's video.  Basically it is the ultimate glass cannon.  Tons of superstructure, massive citadel over the water, unable to angle to mitigate damage, extra weak heal with long cooldown and the slowest speed.  The only benefit to this misery is the guns are disgustingly good at long range.

Yes!

I actually found the armor to be better than I expected, though it's not great.  In terms of ultimate damage mitigation from AP - I actually found it to be more resistant than the Monty or Ohio - but that's going to vary by personal experience.

But yes, this thing lives or dies by the guns.  And the guns either obliterate something or just straight miss.

[-BUI-]
Members
2,444 posts
6,435 battles

I think I'd rather squeeze lemon juice directly into my eyes than play with a 40s reload.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2

[RBMK2]
[RBMK2]
Members
602 posts
12,371 battles
21 minutes ago, Zenn3k said:

I think I'd rather squeeze lemon juice directly into my eyes than play with a 40s reload.

You could do both. By the time your eyes cleared it would almost be time to shoot again. 

• Funny 2
  • Haha 4

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,711 posts
24,985 battles

I watched your video, OP.  Interesting build you're doing and your justifications why.

As for the turrets not being typically disabled, Battleships typically have thick turret faces according to their guns.  The bigger the guns the thicker the faces.  16" and larger BB turrets tend to have thick faces as well as decent angles.

[TNG]
34 posts
10,247 battles
57 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I watched your video, OP.  Interesting build you're doing and your justifications why.

As for the turrets not being typically disabled, Battleships typically have thick turret faces according to their guns.  The bigger the guns the thicker the faces.  16" and larger BB turrets tend to have thick faces as well as decent angles.

You're right about that.

Generally speaking a BB lives or dies by it's guns, so having a turret knocked out with a 40s reload means that turret has to start the reload over again - a big oofie.

But it didn't happen very often so I'm more inclined to go with the repair party.

[PT]
Members
967 posts
2,994 battles
2 hours ago, Zenn3k said:

Even the 30+ second reload New Mexico is ultra painful, especially when it completely misses a easy target (which is most of the time)...

Edited by LunchCutter

[ALL41]
Beta Testers
2,362 posts
10,202 battles
5 hours ago, Sventex said:

Its basically a slower yamato without cheektadels .. less overmatch ability but hey, what's that worth when your shells hardly land eh? Vermont at least has vertical dispersion that lets it put shells where aimed far more often.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
8,417 posts
12,296 battles

"Nothing can fire that much lead at one time"
Cristoforo Columbo has entered the chat with 16 15" guns

[REVY]
Members
8,138 posts
6,118 battles
Just now, Skyfaller said:

Its basically a slower yamato without cheektadels .. less overmatch ability but hey, what's that worth when your shells hardly land eh? Vermont at least has vertical dispersion that lets it put shells where aimed far more often.

Well, Flamu showed a weird chart about the Vermont in that has far less penetration compared to any other ship within 12km.  At close range, Yamato is still a beast since if anything, the guns get more accurate the closer you get and the secondaries are actually decent.  Nothing about the Vermont is decent at close ranges.

[3FU]
Members
9 posts
2,208 battles

While I like the ship as it prevents me from charging to my death, I wonder how long it will be before WG nerfs the ship?

[PIG]
[PIG]
Members
1,310 posts
6,371 battles
On 12/1/2020 at 7:36 PM, Boggzy said:

Hello, Heroes!

Got the chance to play Vermont and make a review so here is a 10-15 minute analysis and some gameplay to help you hit the ground running!

Oink! Dude Buggzy pig... 10-15 minutes ? I clicked and it says 28 minutes. That's 2 to 3 times more. Do you think we have half an hour??? Life is far too short. Consider 10 minutes max of max and Goltz, the Great Goltz will watch your stuff. Did you read my book "War is the Art of Killing"? Goltz.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,711 posts
24,985 battles
On 12/1/2020 at 2:02 PM, LunchCutter said:

Even the 30+ second reload New Mexico is ultra painful, especially when it completely misses a easy target (which is most of the time)...

The problem for New Mexico is she has a totally unreliable 1.5 Sigma and nothing else to show for it.

Some of the 356mm x12 armed BBs of Tier VI

New Mexico

1.5 Sigma

34.2 seconds reload (historical for the guns, BTW)

Arizona

1.8 Sigma

Even slower 35 seconds reload

Fuso

Same trash 1.5 Sigma

28 seconds reload

Arizona and Fuso have for ages been good ships.  Fuso is one of the highlight ships of the IJN BB Line with gunnery so forgiving that when people move onto VII Nagato, some don't like the Tier VII transition.  Fuso has the same bad Sigma as New Mexico but her IJN BB Dispersion and fast 28 seconds reload means the player feels she is in play sooner, rather than later.  Fuso has a Shotgun like these other 2 BBs but she reloads quick and can try again earlier than NM & AZ.

Arizona actually reloads slower than New Mexico and even has worse shells, but AZ is loved because of her consistency.  You can see that in her 1.8 Sigma.  Arizona and Fuso are among the regular High Performing Battleships when Tier VI Ranked comes around.  New Mex?  Never.  Fuso hangs around and can compete with some powerful company in Tier VI Battleships:  Arizona, Fuso, Warspite, and West Virginia'41.

Lastly is this Artillery Chart for Fuso, New Mexico, and Arizona.

MgKVL4S.jpg

New Mex actually has the best shells between the 3 not only in terms of AP Penetration, but even shell flight characteristics!  Yet that slow 34 seconds reload and 1.5 Sigma makes her a bad, unreliable ship.  Arizona's shells are worse than New Mexico's in every way, she even reloads slower than NM.  But AZ is adored for her consistency.

Another testament to Fuso's greatness is she's fundamentally unchanged since Launch in 2015.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
997 posts

I was in a Random battle with a Vermont from one of the best Clans on the server.  He played it a$$ backwards, kiting the whole time.  He was playing with a DesMoines from his clan.  He topped the scoreboard at the end of the game.  Just a comment.

[ALL41]
Beta Testers
2,362 posts
10,202 battles
On 12/2/2020 at 8:10 PM, Captain_Rawhide said:

I was in a Random battle with a Vermont from one of the best Clans on the server.  He played it a$$ backwards, kiting the whole time.  He was playing with a DesMoines from his clan.  He topped the scoreboard at the end of the game.  Just a comment.

Vermont consistently lands 50k damage salvos on a KURFURST from 18km's. No citadels. Think on that ;)