You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
LittleWhiteMouse

Premium Ship Review - Z-44

61 comments in this topic

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,518 posts
18,144 battles

Wow, a 2fer day of reviews? Must be Christmas time. Thank you again Ms. Mouse for all of the hard work, it is appreciated. 

2-FER! GIF by godz40acres | Gfycat

• Cool 1
  • Funny 5
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

[WWW]
Members
6 posts
4,422 battles

Wait, this is a Tier 9?

Really?

Is this a joke?

I mean this ship is barely Tier 8 material. I feel like this is some weird wargaming experiment to see how bad they can make a ship and have people still buy it. I really hope i'm missing some key piece of information about this ship, because right now, this feels very unsuited for tier 9

• Cool 2
  • Meh 2

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,168 posts
22,715 battles

I'm leaning towards Z-44 over Z-35 because I like the thought of a German torpedo boat. Thank you very much for both of these reviews!

[PSA]
Members
5,113 posts
3,732 battles

Thanks for the review! Honestly, this is a hard pass for me. I'm a fan of German DDs, but no Hydro and still bad smoke, same bad concealment as Z-23/35, sluggish handling, and exceptionally bad guns for her tier is not at all compensated by her low damage torps. If she had the higher damage higher velocity torps on Z-46, and Hydro, I think it would be balanced.

Plus she's Tier IX. This means either a grind heavy 1m free XP ship or a grind heavy coal/steel one. I took the plunge with Z-35 because I could get her discounted for doubloons in the armory. But Z-44 is absolutely not worth the effort compared to, oh, *every single other tier IX premium in the game* (okay, possibly on par with Azuma).

Edited by KaptainKaybe

[ARGSY]
Members
22,371 posts
16,264 battles
2 minutes ago, KaptainKaybe said:

This means either a grind heavy 1m free XP ship or a grind heavy coal/steel one.

Confirmed for coal (or doubloons if you so prefer): 

image.thumb.png.74188f86c2322d3c6fe14e2fd5d13590.png 

• Meh 1

[PSA]
Members
5,113 posts
3,732 battles
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Confirmed for coal (or doubloons if you so prefer): 

image.thumb.png.74188f86c2322d3c6fe14e2fd5d13590.png 

Ugh ... could you imagine grinding 4 to 6 months (or much more for casuals) for this? 

• Cool 1

[-BUI-]
Members
2,446 posts
6,435 battles

I like it, torp boats are my favorite kinda DDs, I wish they'd come out with a DD that ONLY has torpedoes actually, imagine the performance those would have to have to make up for having no guns.   

My only gripe is that its coal, hopefully when it releases officially they also sell a cash version, cause I'd rather just pay $60-70 for it then grind the coal.    Launching 12 KM torps every minute sounds excellent, lacking Hydro doesn't matter to me at all, especially with a rather short duration smoke, so you won't be smoke firing, which is when you need hydro the most.   

In fact, I think I'll take Vigilance on this, no real reason to take BFT or SuperIntendent, so Vigilance is perfectly reasonable for 2nd choice at 3rd tier, and thats basically a "always on" hydro for a ship like this.

Gimme gimme gimme.

[UNC]
Members
852 posts
6,196 battles

Thank you for all your hard work LWM!  A double shot of DD reviews no less... awesome.  Sadly I think both Z-35 and Z-44 earn a pass from me.  I generally like German DDs, though I feel like anything they can do, other lines can now do as well or better.  However these two both seem unnecessarily gimped in odd ways that make them more challenging to play than they should be.  Not interested in OP premiums, but at the same time I don't think I will enjoy a premium that forces me to work that much harder to get results.

[WOLF8]
Members
7,637 posts
6,371 battles

Thank you Miss Maus. An awesome review, as always. :Smile_great:

Z-44 sounds like a fun bote... kinda. My only beef with her is that she has no hydro... even T-22 at Tier V now has hydro, but Z-44 doesn't, lol. :Smile_hiding:

Still, I really like Z-35 (dakka dakka botes can be so much fun at times, lel), so I am excited for Z-44, who's on the other side of the spectrum. I'll definitely pick her up once I get home from work and update the game. :Smile_Default:

Edited by Blorgh2017
lol grammar
  • Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Members
989 posts
21,721 battles

Thank you Miss Mouse.  I read both reviews, and I think, for now, both ships will be a pass for me.

[O7]
Supertester
345 posts
13,020 battles

It looks like Z-44 trades almost every important DD stat just to spam her torps, even sacrificing the famous German hydro just to pump out more torps. 

Edited by Your_SAT_Score
  • Cool 2

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
12,324 posts
10,458 battles
1 hour ago, Your_SAT_Score said:

It looks like Z-44 trades almost every important DD stat just to spam her torps, even sacrificing the famous German hydro just to pump out more torps.

I think Benham taught Wargaming that pumping out torpedoes that quickly can be way too influential.

• Cool 2

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,173 posts
4,766 battles
3 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

I think Benham taught Wargaming that pumping out torpedoes that quickly can be way too influential.

What, Shima didn't make that point long ago?  (What's Benham's reload anyway?  I go look it up...)

[WOLFG]
Members
11,166 posts
10,394 battles
1 minute ago, iDuckman said:

What, Shima didn't make that point long ago?  (What's Benham's reload anyway?  I go look it up...)

A damn site shorter than Shima's.

[WG-CC]
12,324 posts
10,458 battles
9 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

The same as Z-44's.  85 seconds base.  On a per broadside basis, Z-44 puts out more fish (10 vs 8).  Benham cheats by having two broadsides worth, though (16 vs 10).

Edited by LittleWhiteMouse

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,499 posts
9,777 battles
13 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

What's Benham's reload anyway?

65 seconds fully set up but before AR kicks in. Other stats: 15200 damage, 10.5km range, 68kt speed (with TTM1), 1.4km detectability.

It's really easy to dump both sets of fish too. And the delay between the launches is often just enough to flood most BBs if they panic and DCP after the first hit. She's a beast.

[NGA-B]
Members
246 posts
14,139 battles

Is everyone still forgetting about RADAR? If you get radared doesn't matter how many torps ya have, you're dead meat, that's why some use 20km torps in Shimy, hit and run, fill the toilet with fish ............ Plus , if i'm not mistaken, these are deep water torps, so .......dead meat.

Edited by Sirzin_6
  • Confused 1

Members
1,806 posts
11,768 battles
1 hour ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

I honestly think WG just forgot Benham had 4 racks of torps when they were balancing it.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,817 posts
15,410 battles
11 hours ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Fuse Arming Threshold is the minimum amount of steel an AP shell needs to hit before the fuse on board arms. 

I'm glad you're drawing attention to this little-known facet of game mechanics. I had a look at the UK's 4.5in guns vs. other guns which did produce some very rangy-changy diagrams at least:
v6PDuvM.jpgOGqDghd.jpg

Enjoyed the review, very much definitely appreciate having them to read.

Not sure why Germany is being blessed with so many premium destroyers - T-61, Z-39, Z-35, Z-44. They're not very memorable and the UK only has the pointless T3 Campbeltown plus Gallant and Cossack.

• Cool 3

[WG-CC]
12,324 posts
10,458 battles
8 minutes ago, mofton said:
I'm glad you're drawing attention to this little-known facet of game mechanics. I had a look at the UK's 4.5in guns vs. other guns which did produce some very rangy-changy diagrams at least:
v6PDuvM.jpgOGqDghd.jpg

Enjoyed the review, very much definitely appreciate having them to read.

Not sure why Germany is being blessed with so many premium destroyers - T-61, Z-39, Z-35, Z-44. They're not very memorable and the UK only has the pointless T3 Campbeltown plus Gallant and Cossack.

The same reason we have so many anime crossovers.  There's a big demand for German premiums and it's leaving money on the table.
In addition, Germany had a big gap in tier IX premiums.  This year corrected that with Siegfried & Agir (cruisers), Pommern (battleship) and now Z-44 (destroyer).  Z-35 plugs the tier VIII premium destroyer gap.

• Cool 3

[SCREW]
Members
21 posts
7,644 battles
12 hours ago, Zenn3k said:

I like it, torp boats are my favorite kinda DDs, I wish they'd come out with a DD that ONLY has torpedoes actually, imagine the performance those would have to have to make up for having no guns.   

You don't know? There's already a DD in game that has only torps! 

Shimas in random battles are not equipped with guns!

[PIZZA]
Members
1,104 posts
13,656 battles

Airfix golden models early 70s was my first contact to this bootte. 

Edited by Finnkax