You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Got coal and steel to spend? Here's what's new.

66 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
22,438 posts
16,296 battles

Game changer for my coal plans. https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/game-updates/update-0911-winter-trophies/  

image.thumb.png.af63e1b465fa3831c779eb8869418eea.png

My coal stocks are gonna hurt, but I've been waiting for this. Shame about Plymouth being for steel, but at least now I don't have to hold resources back for her.

I currently have enough coal to get all three of Neustrashimy, Flint and Duke of York with only one coupon. *dies in ecstasy*

Black has not yet returned (maybe later?), and I'm congratulating myself heartily for getting her for steel when I did.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 4
  • Boring 2

[TDR]
[TDR]
Members
1,052 posts
11,174 battles

Sad face inserted for what appears to be massive coal ship price inflation......disregard, I missed the section that explains Neustrashimy price increase

Edited by ditka_Fatdog

[NBNG]
Beta Testers
1,573 posts
4,608 battles

I agree, the Plymouth looked interesting with the extra barrel per turret but oh well. I was saving coal for the Yoshino but i might wait now for the Neustrashimy

[ARGSY]
Members
22,438 posts
16,296 battles
18 minutes ago, ditka_Fatdog said:

Sad face inserted for what appears to be massive coal ship price inflation

Part of the trouble is that we haven't had premium cruisers and battleships at Tier 7 before, so we don't know what the prices "ought" to have been. I can understand WHY they put a premium on the Flint and Neustrashimy, but oh man, nearly 300K coal before the coupon... it sort of makes my eyes bleed, but against that is the fact that she arrived before my current coupon lapsed. WG made things a LOT easier for me by bringing her back now.

Hill's already in my port, and her price is probably fair in comparison to the much older Marblehead.

Part of me wants Lazo just because I failed to get her from her event, but I have so many Russian premium cruisers already that it'd be a waste. But getting DOY will be long-delayed revenge for failing North Cape in 2017, after realizing far too late how I could have finished it. Not going to let that one slip away.

Lots of choice for mid tier premium ships now. The new skill tree will benefit those with premiums in as many nations as possible, and now we have free ships at Tier 5+ in UK, US, RU, EU, Pan-Asia, and in the high tiers Germany and Japan. 

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[WOLFX]
Members
37 posts
6,990 battles

I like that they are finally putting more lower to mid range stuff in the armory. Now to get them to do that with a few free exp ships. Poor Nelson all alone.

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,744 posts
7,281 battles

And still no news about Kitakami  

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[FORM]
Members
1,970 posts
12,626 battles
33 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

My coal stocks are gonna hurt, but I've been waiting for this. Shame about Plymouth being for steel, but at least now I don't have to hold resources back for her.

Makes me think then that the Vamp II will either be for FXP or RB points when they release it. 

16 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Part of me wants Lazo just because I failed to get her from her event, but I have so many Russian premium cruisers already that it'd be a waste. 

I totally understand where you're coming from. The Lazo is a fun ship, but I rarely play her since I have the Smol. Along similar lines, I decided against buying the Tirpitz B since I have the Pomm and they're so extremely similar (I got to drive the Tirp for 3 days with their Twitch stream weekend thing...) that I don't see her as unique enough to spend the doubloons on it. 

Edited by TheArc

Members
126 posts

20 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Part of the trouble is that we haven't had premium cruisers and battleships at Tier 7 before, so we don't know what the prices "ought" to have been.

WRT to the T7s the Lazo and DoY are consistent with their Doubloon price. Blyskawica was 5,100 Doubloons or 51,000 Coal; DoY and Lazo are also 10x their Doubloon cost. Seems fair.

Edited by DanSilverwing

[ANKER]
Members
1,418 posts
11,467 battles

*****WARNING*****

To those thinking about Flint.  The Skill rework will emasculate this ship.  11.1km firing range is borderline unplayable, especially at T9 games which you will see 40 something percent of the time.  I love this ship, but will stop playing it until this is rectified.

• Cool 3

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
2,839 battles
1 minute ago, YouSatInGum said:

*****WARNING*****

To those thinking about Flint.  The Skill rework will emasculate this ship.  11.1km firing range is borderline unplayable, especially at T9 games which you will see 40 something percent of the time.  I love this ship, but will stop playing it until this is rectified.

Quote for truth.

A HUGE caveat emptor.

I'm glad this announcement came out AFTER I spent the coal on Georgia...means I still got Georgia and will focus on some of these lower tier ships with my new stacks.

[ARGSY]
Members
22,438 posts
16,296 battles
1 minute ago, TheArc said:

Makes me think then that the Vamp II will either be for FXP or RB points when they release it. 

Coal is still a possibility, but with Smaland going out I'm sort of leaning towards Vamp 2 being her FXP replacement. If it's RB I might have enough FXP to burn through the IJN gunboats and get her that way, forsaking the Emilio in order to do so.

If by some happy chance they announce Vamp 2 for coal before Alaska leaves, I'll grab Alaska. If not, I've got a softer spot in my heart for the Daring-class Vampire - she still exists, and I've actually visited her.

1 minute ago, YouSatInGum said:

To those thinking about Flint.  The Skill rework will emasculate this ship.

Duly noted. My overriding intention is to use her in co-op to farm fires and main-battery hits, and her smokescreen will compensate for most of the nerfs. 

3 minutes ago, DanSilverwing said:

WRT to the T7s the Lazo and DoY are consistent with their Doubloon price. Blyskawica was 5,100 Doubloons or 51,000 Coal; DoY and Lazo are also 10x their Doubloon cost. Seems fair.

Cheers - thanks for the input.

[ARGSY]
Members
22,438 posts
16,296 battles
3 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

I'm glad this announcement came out AFTER I spent the coal on Georgia.

No, what you're really glad about is that all these ships came back after it was announced that the Georgia was leaving. With her announced to be pulled, you'd still have spent the coal on her first. 

[WK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,179 posts
16,571 battles
44 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Game changer for my coal plans. https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/game-updates/update-0911-winter-trophies/  

image.thumb.png.af63e1b465fa3831c779eb8869418eea.png

I currently have enough coal to get all three of Neustrashimy, Flint and Duke of York with only one coupon. *dies in ecstasy*

Black has not yet returned (maybe later?), and I'm congratulating myself heartily for getting her for steel when I did.

While I'm sad Black isn't being put up for coal, like they said they would, I do not regret waiting to get Shikishima one bit.  :Smile_playing:  It's as you said though, maybe later.:Smile_Default:

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
2,839 battles
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

No, what you're really glad about is that all these ships came back after it was announced that the Georgia was leaving. With her announced to be pulled, you'd still have spent the coal on her first. 

Actually, no. That's not how I work.

I had already purchased all the lower cost coal ships. My choice was between a coal captain, Georgia, or Pommern. With the captain rework issues with special captains having no documented changes....the captain was out.

I already have Bismarck...and Pommern is just more of the same with torpedoes...and Georgia was announced to be leaving. So, Georgia it was.

Had these new ships been available, I would have spent on the lower tier premiums (I enjoy the lower tier gameplay more than tier 10, by far).

[ANKER]
Members
1,418 posts
11,467 battles
9 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Coal is still a possibility, but with Smaland going out I'm sort of leaning towards Vamp 2 being her FXP replacement. If it's RB I might have enough FXP to burn through the IJN gunboats and get her that way, forsaking the Emilio in order to do so.

If by some happy chance they announce Vamp 2 for coal before Alaska leaves, I'll grab Alaska. If not, I've got a softer spot in my heart for the Daring-class Vampire - she still exists, and I've actually visited her.

Duly noted. My overriding intention is to use her in co-op to farm fires and main-battery hits, and her smokescreen will compensate for most of the nerfs. 

Cheers - thanks for the input.

Even in COOP, with the behavior of bots yolo'ing, it will greatly reduce your farming time.  The smoke firing penalty is 4.6km... which means you won't have enough time to farm much before you have to run, use torps, or yolo. 

I would much rather have Smaland than Vampire 2.  As proposed, it is Daring with it's offense heavily nerfed for a longer lasting smoke screen.  It loses half it's torps and the DPM is reduced to Gearing levels.  Not a good trade IMO but maybe it fits the bill for some... but Smaland is a very strong DD... get'er before she's gone for good.

Edited by YouSatInGum

[ANKER]
Members
1,418 posts
11,467 battles
5 minutes ago, Volron said:

While I'm sad Black isn't being put up for coal, like they said they would, I do not regret waiting to get Shikishima one bit.  :Smile_playing:  It's as you said though, maybe later.:Smile_Default:

Black is a good ship...and since it was the one I was waiting for... I'm not surprised they are holding it back... they are probably trying to figure out how long of stick to make for that carrot to keep us donkeys moving forward.

• Funny 1

[ARGSY]
Members
22,438 posts
16,296 battles
16 minutes ago, Volron said:

Yeah, you have to remember that the Black's probably going to cost as much as the Neustrashimy, so it wouldn't surprise me to see them put her out just after Christmas, when the coal coupon has renewed and people have had time to farm all their coal-flakes plus whatever they get from containers.

12 minutes ago, YouSatInGum said:

Even in COOP, with the behavior of bots yolo'ing, it will greatly reduce your farming time.  The smoke firing penalty is 4.6km... which means you won't have enough time to farm much before you have to run, use torps, or yolo. 

Duly noted, but I've had Smolensk from the day she was first released so I know a thing or two about using rapid-fire smoke cruisers to farm bots.

12 minutes ago, YouSatInGum said:

I would much rather have Smaland than Vampire 2.  As proposed, it is Daring with it's offense heavily nerfed for a longer lasting smoke screen.  It loses half it's torps and the DPM is reduced to Gearing levels.  Not a good trade IMO but maybe it fits the bill for some... but Smaland is a very strong DD... get'er before she's gone for good.

Also duly noted. I currently suck at Euro DD (except Blyskawica); I cannot get them to work consistently in co-op at all, and I struggle in Randoms. There is little point in thinking that getting Smaland would cure the issues I'm having with Oland. She just feels like too much risk for the resources for me to be comfortable with that. And I would need to grind out 500K more FXP between now and when she's pulled.

On the other hand, Vampire 2 is to Daring more or less what Haida is to Cossack. That's a concept that works VERY well in co-op. 

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

Members
447 posts
2,711 battles

Nice. Lazo for 62k (83k - 25%) is the easy choice for my play style. And I can actually earn the coal while finishing my Shchors grind.

[ARGSY]
Members
22,438 posts
16,296 battles
2 minutes ago, Whiskey_Rebel said:

Nice. Lazo for 62k (83k - 25%) is the easy choice for my play style. And I can actually earn the coal while finishing my Shchors grind.

Just in time to have the premium you need to ease your captain up into either Chapayev (of which she constitutes a modified, retired A hull) or Tallinn!

[HELLS]
Members
2,755 posts
29,564 battles
29 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

On the other hand, Vampire 2 is to Daring more or less what Haida is to Cossack. That's a concept that works VERY well in co-op. 

Too true. I rarely play either in Randoms as good cruiser players know how to counter even against a spread-out smokescreen.

Members
3,664 posts
42,552 battles

I advise the wait and see, post flakes.

Farm the flakes , load up those coupons, and then see what is available. 

Also, I would reserve judgement on skills reset as balance changes would require other changes that might get shoe horned in at the last minute.

Those special missions with ATL are no coincidence mind you. It's an evaluation of performance.

Sometimes, an incentive is handed out to get a larger sample pool for specific ships because of either the ship in question, or the weapons it uses.

It's a way to get fast data for an adjustment for ships and weapons for a global buff or nerf.

The first clue of this was the ARP Musashi and ARP Yamato missions. They have only expiration dates.

Which means they can be played multiple times per day all the way to the date and you get the bonus XP.

[ARGSY]
Members
22,438 posts
16,296 battles
7 minutes ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

The first clue of this was the ARP Musashi and ARP Yamato missions. They have only expiration dates.

IIRC they did this for the Warhammer 40K collab ships too, even though they were only Amagi clones with a somewhat slower reload. I flogged the living hell out of the Ignis, piled 400K onto her before that mission expired, and God only knows how much more commander XP. Between that and the Izumo grind, it got the captain to 19 points in a big hurry. No regrets.

[WOLF8]
Members
654 posts
9,320 battles

FYI:  the current ship for resources coupon (25% discount) resets (hopefully) on Dec 19.  I'd use it by Dec 18 to be on the safe side.

I was thinking about getting Salem, but now I'm also looking at Lazo.  I should have enough coal to get both...if WG gives us new coupons on the 19th.

Edited by Slammer58

[ARGSY]
Members
22,438 posts
16,296 battles

The other thing this changes is where my credits are going. I was going to spend the rest of this week power-grinding the Shchors to get the Tallinn; now the money (i.e. credits) will be required for the coal ships' module slots. Almost 7 million for the Neustra, not quite 2 million each for DOY and Flint.

Against that, I will have an extra T9 premium and two T7's in my port for snowflakes. That's worth the deferral of a tech-tree T8.