Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Skipper86

Need clear information on Dispersion and Sigma

11 comments in this topic

[RAN]
Members
18 posts
3,403 battles

As the topic suggests, I need factual information on how dispersion and sigma actually works. 

I want to know why it's considered properly balanced that with or without the module on German Battleships, the dispersion of the shells literally makes No sense. One turret firing two guns or in some cases three, some how have completely aimed at two completely different locations? One falls short, the other goes way over the target adding too the that rest of the guns you might be firing? 

Even the grouping makes Zero sense. But why is it, for every other faction even the "Less Accurate at Range Russian BB's" Have tighter grouping and better shot placement? 

I don't want player opinions on this I want the actual data because I am sick to death of playing as well as a player can, placing shots as well as you can and getting Zero reward for doing so, it is beyond a joke that you can't punish players for making tactical position errors because you can't actually rely on your own judgement to play the game as intended? 

Let's not even ask how you are suppose to even do effective damage IF and I can't stress this enough, IF you manage to hit any where near your intended placement and all you get is 6 Overpens on the flat broadside of a Tier 10 cruiser at 8km range with 15 inch guns in a tier 8 BB. Or why all of a sudden you BOUNCE shots off of the broadsides of a USS BB. - In both examples I'd be better because the shells registering hits, would've have been fine if they were placed any where near as good as say a Vladivostok at range.. Oh wait Russian AP shouldn't count in any discussion. Let's go with British AP. 

Edit: What actually happened too the German accuracy buff at the start of 2020? I remember it was actually quite good. I'm guessing it was rolled back but there was no patch notes on it, because it is as garbage as it's ever been. 

Edited by Skipper86

[RAN]
Members
18 posts
3,403 battles

Riight.. and how does that explain the issues I'm having?

Edit: 9BD14F54CB9D62FA7EBE8F5F173657108285A0E0

I mean, I just did this about 10 minutes ago, I've obviously got something wrong with my shooting. Your technical explanation does not explain why I can't do this consistently with one factions BB line at all. 

Edited by Skipper86
Update

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,802 posts
20,317 battles

Ok, ignoring the tone - looks to me like OP just wants to rage and complain and vent - there's more that goes into balance than just dispersion. German battleships have great hulls, great secondaries and other tricks like torpedoes and / or hydro, depending on which one you're driving. Something else has to be sub par, or there wouldn't be any reason for anyone to drive anything other than a high tier German battleship.

The dispersion buff the German battleships got was never rolled back. Your 'gut feeling' that it was is just confirmation bias. All that buff did was bring the dispersion - IE, the area in which all or a high percentage of your shells are guaranteed to land - down to USN BB levels. News flash: the dispersion on USN BBs is not that amazing. And German BB guns still have relatively bad sigma, IE, the tendency to group towards the center of the dispersion ellipse.

As for Russian guns grouping well, that's just confirmation bias and low sample size on your count.

• Cool 1

[KWF]
Members
5,282 posts
6,659 battles
6 minutes ago, Skipper86 said:

Riight.. and how does that explain the issues I'm having?

Edit: 9BD14F54CB9D62FA7EBE8F5F173657108285A0E0

I mean, I just did this about 10 minutes ago, I've obviously got something wrong with my shooting. Your technical explanation does not explain why I can't do this consistently with one factions BB line at all. 

I'm sorry, but in the OP you asked for some factual info, not opinions. I therefore linked you the closest thing to official facts. 

As a general rule RNG has been a staple of WGs games, for good or worse. Furthermore, we tend to notice more the shots we miss than the ones we hit, so it could be that. 

Other than that I don't really know what to say.

[RAN]
Members
18 posts
3,403 battles

Thanks for the reply. The tone is appreciated to, all about the confirmation Bias life. 

I mean for every other faction I play, I do reasonable well, some times exceptionally well. I can do things with other factions you simple can't with the German BB main batteries because the RNG and other thing that adds up to how well your shots are placed are working against you, I do not believe that there is any valid reason or excuse for this other than the faction has to have a weakness. 

I remember when the buff rolled out, I remember how much better it was. It wouldn't be the first time that a gaming company would nerf changes they make without telling anyone, it happens. 

It is entirely unreasonable with the current state of how these things work that some how, the gun barrels are what so horribly miss aligned that the shells go way too high and way too low at the same time, how the hell is that even justifiable? or so far away from the target? If that's how it's been designed then it's incredibly stupid, again I remember the buff made the Scharhorst's 11 inch guns absolutely amazing. 

I do love the whole "Germans have great hulls" comment, because German Armour angled or not CLEARLY does a lot, I'm just going to ignore the 10 - 25k salvo's you eat ... Oh waitthat's relative too shell damage.. I guess I'd be getting salvo's like that more often if I could full AP hit consistently. 

Balance. 

Edited by Skipper86

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,802 posts
20,317 battles
12 minutes ago, Skipper86 said:

I remember when the buff rolled out, I remember how much better it was. It wouldn't be the first time that a gaming company would nerf changes they make without telling anyone, it happens.

*Sigh* The buff was not rolled back. Dataminers would've been all over it if it had. If not the payerbase at large. The dispersion numbers are right there for everyone to see - at least one of them. The other would've been caught by dataminers, if something that obvious had happened for real.

14 minutes ago, Skipper86 said:

It is entirely unreasonable with the current state of how these things work that some how, the gun barrels are what so horribly miss aligned that the shells go way too high and way too low at the same time, how the hell is that even justifiable?

Yes, because that neeeeeeeeeeever happens to any other nation. Again, sample size and confirmation bias. You're full of one, not enough of the other, I'll let you figure out which is which.

You're not going to listen to reason or even consider that your own biases are fooling you. You've already made up your mind and convinced that you're right. Unfortunately you can't logic someone out of a position he didn't logic himself in to, so - have fun being angry at something that never happened.

[RAN]
Members
18 posts
3,403 battles

That's pretty much it right there. I guess all the videos showing otherwise or actual experience are all completely full of it.

Their accuracy is bad, it's unjustifiable, the line has been power crept time and time again.

I will ask this though, I want to say hypothetically speaking but I just managed this - You're in a Bismarck. You have a Massachussetts at 13.8kms giving his full broadside, he's hardly moving, why should he the stop start stop start meta is still a thing, how ever in this case I came from concealment (A joke I know German BB's and concealment) suffice to say I played this one smartly. I'm angled enough to put all four turrets on him, I fire, aiming at the waterline or there abouts like you should and compensated his lack of movement. Now I'd be betting every doubloon I have if I was in any other nation's BB, he'd be completely stuffed..... 8 Shell's fire I got 1 overpen that's it. 

Bad Luck?

I guess I can't make an argument for my self here because.. that happened.. and I got robbed of a Kraken. 

EC366E915CB766AB2D5F008D6DAB0D96D0F7B805

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
12,329 posts
10,459 battles

I'm failing to see the issue in your two provided examples, @Skipper86.

In your first example, you have a 50% hit rate which far exceeds the norm for battleships and clearly represents good RNG.  In your second example, you have a 30% hit rate, which is about on par for battleships.  What accuracy potential are you hoping for?

• Cool 1

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
8,449 posts
12,406 battles
6 hours ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

What accuracy potential are you hoping for?

probably 100%

Sign in to follow this