You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
shadragon

Twenty-six Inch Penetration

17 comments in this topic

[SHADR]
Members
72 posts
2,658 battles

Photo of a twenty-six inch (660+ MM) thick piece of the YAMATO 3 armored hull used by the US Navy to test the IOWA's sixteen inch AP shells. The YAMATO 3 hull was being converted into an aircraft carrier, when captured by the US. Pieces were used to do "real world" testing of  naval weaponry. 

I mention this, because last night I fired a salvo at a DONSKOI superstructure which, when bow on, ricocheted one of my IOWA 16" AP shells from a distance of 7 KM.

You can taste the realism. 

Yamoto.jpg

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 1

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,371 posts
13,033 battles
27 minutes ago, shadragon said:

Photo of a twenty-six inch (660+ MM) thick piece of the YAMATO 3 armored hull used by the US Navy to test the IOWA's sixteen inch AP shells. The YAMATO 3 hull was being converted into an aircraft carrier, when captured by the US. Pieces were used to do "real world" testing of  naval weaponry. 

I mention this, because last night I fired a salvo at a DONSKOI superstructure which, when bow on, ricocheted one of my IOWA 16" AP shells from a distance of 7 KM.

Yamoto.jpg

It's a piece of turret face armor from Shinano that was left laying around the shipyard where she was converted and was found post war. Shinano herself had already been sunk, on November 29, 1944.

The actual armor tests in question

The hit that you see was the equivalent of a USN 16"/50 firing at less than 10 km, and striking perpendicular to the plate with a super heavy AP shell. (The actual test was done with a reduced powder load, at much closer range, which is how the shell hit basically square)

Under realistic conditions, that plate is effectively impenetrable (at any range where a 16"/50 cal gun could reasonably hit that plate an still have enough energy, it won't hit square enough to penetrate)

Edited by SgtBeltfed
  • Cool 3

[FOXY]
Members
1,211 posts
5,765 battles

See what happened is the crew of the russian ship had faith in their Leninium and it held firm against capitalist pigs.

But really the person two posts above me nailed it.

Members
3,878 posts
14,356 battles
Just now, HamAndCheez said:

This is the test that produced the hole in the OP photo:

http://www.navweaps.com/index_tech/tech-040.php

ah the turret. see, OP said Armoured hull so was just messing around

[REVY]
Members
8,142 posts
6,118 battles
59 minutes ago, shadragon said:

Yamoto.jpg

The conclusion of that test:

"Therefore, these plates are the only warship armor plates that could not be completely penetrated by any gun ever put on a warship when installed leaning back at 45°, as they were in the actual turrets!!! Even to completely hole the plate all the way through at that inclination requires a brand new 16"/50 Mark 7 or German 38cm SK C/34 gun at point-blank range firing the latest versions of their respective AP projectiles; it might be cracked at a lower striking velocity, but no hole put entirely through it! And they said guns had completely overmatched all armor - not so!!!"

• Cool 2

[WOLFG]
Members
11,114 posts
10,336 battles
1 hour ago, _TexasHammer_ said:

Did anyone else say, "That's what she said" after reading the title? 

No, but I was a little reluctant to open the thread.

[HINON]
Members
13,815 posts
1 hour ago, Sventex said:

But after the black ships release we know how well players around here are at reading.

[REVY]
Members
2,560 posts
13,798 battles
17 hours ago, Sventex said:

The conclusion of that test:

"Therefore, these plates are the only warship armor plates that could not be completely penetrated by any gun ever put on a warship when installed leaning back at 45°, as they were in the actual turrets!!! Even to completely hole the plate all the way through at that inclination requires a brand new 16"/50 Mark 7 or German 38cm SK C/34 gun at point-blank range firing the latest versions of their respective AP projectiles; it might be cracked at a lower striking velocity, but no hole put entirely through it! And they said guns had completely overmatched all armor - not so!!!"

I believe it also says in there that the plate was brittle internally.

So while it might have not been penetrated by the shell, a shell hit could still damage the armor by cracking it. It might even result in spalling which could effect equipment and personal in the turret.

[WOLF7]
Members
561 posts
17 minutes ago, Lord_Slayer said:

So while it might have not been penetrated by the shell, a shell hit could still damage the armor by cracking it. It might even result in spalling which could effect equipment and personal in the turret.

Exactly. The steel was poor quality. The report found that the steel was similar to pre-World War One British steel. Apparently, the IJN did not exactly possess "state of the art" metallurgy even before WWII ruined their infrastructure. 

[FOXY]
Members
1,211 posts
5,765 battles
29 minutes ago, Lord_Slayer said:

It does say that.

SuperTest Coordinator, Beta Testers
6,647 posts
12,051 battles

image.thumb.png.46afc057c0536d20d3823e3e6d128b3e.png

How to replicate the shot on that Yamato turret in-game. Iowa is floating 7km in the air, in front of Yamato by 7km, firing down at an angle of slightly less than 45 degrees below zero.