You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
FuzzyIce

Bad Form?

23 comments in this topic

[WOLFG]
Members
24 posts

So here's my dilemma. I bought a few Black Friday crates and pulled a Kaga B. I do not play CV's at and I have no desire to do so.  However, I do have the the regular Kaga sitting in my port from last years Xmas crate splurge.  And since I now have the mission to receive 2500 doubloons by getting five wins in the regular Kaga, would it be bad form to play it it co-op and just sort of wing  it so to speak by being a target for the bots and helping out the team that way. I mean it's not like you usually get a lot of help from the friendly bot CV anyways and I would do my best not to get caught in a mostly green bot game so as not to be even more of a drag on the friendly team.  What say y'all?

[AAA]
Members
180 posts
19,420 battles

You have 5 games to practice CV, you may want to try to hit something with your planes and not just YOLO in. If you really want to help your team, set up a couple training rooms to get better at the targeting mechanics. 

[META_]
Members
189 posts
2,680 battles

I'm godawful at CVs (less than 10 games in them total) and pulled the Kaga B out of a crate as well.  Gave it a whirl for a few games in Co-op, and honestly, she's pretty easy to figure out.  Got decent damage every game without any real idea of what I was doing.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,718 posts
3 minutes ago, xXUglykidXx said:

You have 5 games to practice CV, you may want to try to hit something with your planes and not just YOLO in. If you really want to help your team, set up a couple training rooms to get better at the targeting mechanics. 

:cap_like:

This is the answer -- use Training Rooms to at least become competent with the ship's mechanics. You can play as many of them as you want without penalty.

[NOVUM]
Members
68 posts
4,833 battles

It's coop, do whatever you want. You could be afk and most of your teammates probably wouldn't notice or care.

• Cool 2
  • Meh 1

[WOLFG]
Members
11,139 posts
10,380 battles
39 minutes ago, FuzzyIce said:

So here's my dilemma. I bought a few Black Friday crates and pulled a Kaga B. I do not play CV's at and I have no desire to do so.  However, I do have the the regular Kaga sitting in my port from last years Xmas crate splurge.  And since I now have the mission to receive 2500 doubloons by getting five wins in the regular Kaga, would it be bad form to play it it co-op and just sort of wing  it so to speak by being a target for the bots and helping out the team that way. I mean it's not like you usually get a lot of help from the friendly bot CV anyways and I would do my best not to get caught in a mostly green bot game so as not to be even more of a drag on the friendly team.  What say y'all?

It wouldn't be bad form.

I have to do more than take off my shoes and pants to count the number of times I read "This is my first game in CVs, don't get mad" to worry about one more.

CVs rarely do well in coop anyways.

[O_S_D]
Members
201 posts
17,068 battles

IJN torp planes are the easiest to use.  Give them a shot.  IJN dive bombers are the trickiest to use, give them a shot too.  

I don't care to play cv in random as my planes usually get shredded, but I do well in scenarios if you play those.  Coops don't last long enough for a cv to do much.

[T-D-M]
Members
68 posts
18,442 battles

t

To OP:

Ditto here,

Learning about training room right now and trying My Kaga and Graf in there so as to not detract from others game play. :)

I waited until Monday as well rather than the weekend to test the water so to speak.

GLHF

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,479 posts
14,823 battles
21 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Yeah, the matches rarely last long enough for them to get good damage even though the bots are morons. However, it is not bad form to spam them and maybe the OP will get an understanding of what it is like for a CV player in the rework which contrary to the loudest complainers is not all peaches and cream for the CV player.

[T-D-M]
Members
68 posts
18,442 battles

Not to thread jack, :) But why do CV drop ordinance on the way to targets? I see this a lot at the start of matches. Thanks

[WOLF7]
Members
568 posts
1 hour ago, FuzzyIce said:

Fellow Lone Wolf, play whichever ships you want, whenever you want, in any game mode you want. You are a paying customer of this game and you should not feel obligated to play the way some people think is the RIGHT™ way to play. Have fun, enjoy your ships and don't let anyone discourage you from earning your doubloons if that is what you want to do.

[WOLFG]
Members
11,139 posts
10,380 battles
3 minutes ago, M_113 said:

Not to thread jack, :) But why do CV drop ordinance on the way to targets? I see this a lot at the start of matches. Thanks

Reduces plane losses.  At the start AA is strong.  Keeping stronger squadrons for late game when AA is weaker.

[WOLFG]
Members
24 posts

Well I took everyone"s advice and tried out the training room for a couple of run throughs and its wasn't as bad as I had made it out to be in my head.  Jumped in Co-op and knocked those five games off in no time without anyone commenting on my poor play...easy peasy.

• Cool 2

[HINON]
Members
13,821 posts
1 hour ago, DrHolmes52 said:

It wouldn't be bad form.

I have to do more than take off my shoes and pants to count the number of times I read "This is my first game in CVs, don't get mad" to worry about one more.

Kaga is one of the few who can do reliably well in coop due to the nice fast TB, and large reserves for immediate turn around.

[WOLF3]
Members
28,780 posts
25,041 battles
2 hours ago, FuzzyIce said:

Get your doubloons and tell anyone else that doesn't like it to go ---- ----------.

• Cool 2

[WOLF9]
Members
4,671 posts

WG gave me so many free CV's  via evens, crates, etc, I finally had to give em a go.    Did the training room thing to figure out the controls, then went to co-op.

I used graf Zeppelin, because I had 2, and the tier 4 and 6 RN's.    Had a couple okay games in GZ, but it was pretty clear high tiers were NO where I should be playing CV, lol.   Had a lot more success in the RN ones- esp the tier 6.   Rocket planes?  Ok- I can often blast things with em- inc the red CV, lol.  Bombers?  Now we're talkin!  It took a few tries, but dropping presents on dumb surface ships is pretty intuitive, at least for me.   Torpedo bombers?   forget it...  I can't hit a damn thing with em.

Even went so far as to buy Langley- which I hate, and will not be playing again.   Likewise,  that US premium CVL Saipan.   That ship can die in a fire.   Apparently used to be good, back in the RTS days, as it was very popular.  Not any more.

Anyhow, I learned a few things:

1) bots are very good at AA, as with everything else.   I ate crap just about every time I tried to line up a shot- even on "questionable" AA ships (which seemed to be few and far between in my games...)  Still got at least one salvo off- usually two- but rarely made it back with anything but stragglers.

2) touchpad mouses are quite possibly the worst possible way to control a squadron, lol.   I'm sure I left more than a few teams wondering if I suffered from epilepsy or something...  This, more than anything else, convinced me to pack it in.   It's horribly counter-intuitive...

3) likewise speed control was NOT my strong suit- I often approached wayyy too fast, and had very little time to line up a shot- then overshot the ship by miles, and had to come all the way back around...   Often eating AA much of the way.

4)  I'll be leaving the stupid things to someone else to play- just not my idea of a good time.    I may or may not just write off any snowflake rewards on them- or I might play them off, if CV Haters Anonymous  happens to be exceptionally annoying that week, lol.   It does my old heart good to see some random player go absolutely apoplectic, just because a CV is in the game, lol.    It's Co-op, dude- just take the free plane kills and shut up...

[NOVUM]
Members
68 posts
4,833 battles

Somewhat related to this topic:

I guess sometimes a CV can have an impact on the outcome of a coop match

1483265650_CVandbots01.thumb.png.0984d5d530d5ca996309ce7d2c51e575.png

Yes, those are all bots. Lucky most of the ships were t5 with bad AA.  

And nobody on my team complained about my bad CV playing  :cap_cool:

[REVY]
Members
2,564 posts
13,829 battles
On 11/30/2020 at 3:56 PM, FuzzyIce said:

Bringing it into Co-Op shouldn't be an issue.

Any new ship I get I usually break in for several battles in Co-Op so I can get a feel for the ship and it's weapons.

Co-Op would be a bit more forgiving as well as you are facing Bots where as if you took it out into randoms, you are more then likely going to face people who know what they are doing.

[WOLFG]
Members
31,329 posts
9,629 battles
On 11/30/2020 at 3:56 PM, FuzzyIce said:

Just rattle them off in Co-op and be done with it lol.

[NONE]
Members
3,757 posts
On 11/30/2020 at 4:38 PM, BitCrushed said:

It's coop, do whatever you want. You could be afk and most of your teammates probably wouldn't notice or care.

Exactly.

Might lose credits, though, even with prem camo.  CV's tend to wallow at the bottom of the scoreboard in Co-op. Not always, but often enough.

[CVLUL]
WoWS Community Contributors
3,466 posts
13,645 battles

I understand people dislike CVs, but playing a few game to learn how they work, the mechanics involved, and more important, their limitations is pretty important information for a player.  It made me a better player having played a handful of CV games.

ETA:

Also try to not think as much about other players experience.  For example I took the word of the forum when ranked first started.  At the time I only had an IJN torp boat, I think it was Fubuki at that point as the only ship I could use.  It was the opinion of most of the form that I would be ruining the match for other players because "by bringing an inferior ship I made the team be down a ship".  I was told if you brought it you would only really be successful till the R5 bracket and then you needed to be carried.  I didnt want people upset with me throwing the match before it started, so I played till R5 and stopped.  It is and was however the height of [edited].  I was a decent DD player then, and I bet I could have ranked out those first few seasons, despite having a non meta ship. 

Once I did rank out for the first time I saw the lie for what it was.

Edited by Destroyer_KuroshioKai