You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
HereCreeepers

How do I go about moving my WoWS installation from one PC to another without having to redownload it..

7 comments in this topic

[KIA-T]
Members
72 posts
5,224 battles

Long story short, my main PC is having some pretty major issues and will likely be gone for over a week while I get it repaired, leaving me with a backup laptop that I haven't used in over a year. This laptop's version of WoWS is over a year out of date and would likely need loads of updates. While normally I would either go to a friends house and use their high speed internet (mine would likely take several days to do the download/s) to do the installation or just take the L and not play for a while, COVID restrictions and the current event chains make those both undesirable alternatives. This leaves me with one real option, transfer my WoWS files from one PC to another using an external HDD. I've seen multiple posts about doing this for WoWS and WoT but none of them are really up to date and I'm not sure those methods would work in current year with WGC. If anyone has any experience/advice (What files to transfer and where to find them mainly) about how to do this, let me know.

[_I_]
Members
116 posts

Unles you can figure out how to correctly transfer the windows registry HKEY entires with the correct values, you're hosed.

Windows programs have installers for a reason. It's called the Windows Registry. The program executables can't run without it.

[KIA-T]
Members
72 posts
5,224 battles
4 minutes ago, Krasnaya_Slava said:

Unles you can figure out how to correctly transfer the windows registry HKEY entires with the correct values, you're hosed.

Windows programs have installers for a reason. It's called the Windows Registry. The program executables can't run without it.

I saw someone talking about downloading Game Center, starting the download and stopping it, then transfering the game files over. I'm not sure if that would even work but it seems possible.

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,026 posts
27,728 battles

Copy files to the other PC.

Open the Game Center.

Add the game with the choose folder option.

That should fix it.

At least it did for me, when I needed to reinstall windows after I got a new CPU and mainboard.

You find this if you click on the All Games tab in in the Game Center.

[TSG4]
[TSG4]
Volunteer Moderator
3,263 posts
16,601 battles
44 minutes ago, HereCreeepers said:

let me know.

Get a portable harddrive, copy the WG game folder

then paste to the new computer

Download the game centre, then select game, option - select where you just paste directory to link it

regards,

[WOLF4]
[WOLF4]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
898 posts
13,863 battles
49 minutes ago, Krasnaya_Slava said:

Not if you do this,

32 minutes ago, ObiphanKenobi said:

Get a portable harddrive, copy the WG game folder

then paste to the new computer

Download the game centre, then select game, option - select where you just paste directory to link it

regards,

Or even better have the game installed on another partition or hard drive and then do the WGC thing. Ideally the only times you should have to redownload the game is if it gets corrupted beyond the built-in repair, or a hardware failure.

Same can be said for just about any game. Works exceptionally well for Steam games.