You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
DorkWizard_2020

Can CVs please just not have infinite planes?

65 comments in this topic

[-REK-]
Members
4 posts
3,680 battles

This game shows the sheer absurdity of CVs the ability to regen their aircraft and send wave after wave at you makes no sense. Collectively my team had shot down 143 Midway planes which is absolutely absurd for even a conventional air base. The other aircraft carrier, the MVR, had 78 planes shot down which isn't quite so absurd, it doesn't diminish the fact that 221 planes where shot down. There needs to be a point at which the planes run out or something on CVs because they can regenerate planes but we cant regen AA which needs to be addressed.194564181_99planesshotdown116kdmg8citadels...Russianbiasisreal!.thumb.JPG.0da4f6be2c2fbdbce6053555c8a95840.JPG79010249_99planesshotdown116kdmg8citadelsteamscoreboard.thumb.JPG.2907a1a15ccd0bd13523d6c77e90b293.JPG

• Cool 3
  • Sad 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 4

Members
1,820 posts
27,175 battles

Why are you asking this of the playerbase? I mean, you've been here long enough to know that WG doesn't care about this, as developers are adjusting sigmas by tenths and making the deck benchs' woodgrain stand out more.

• Boring 1

[O2]
Members
419 posts
9,834 battles
13 minutes ago, theLaalaa said:

developers are adjusting sigmas by tenths and making the deck benchs' woodgrain stand out more.

Hahaha. This made my day.

[SIM]
Members
5,589 posts
9,012 battles

Sure, as soon as we restrict shell count and remove the ability to reload torpedoes in battle.

• Cool 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 3

[KWF]
Members
5,253 posts
6,659 battles
1 minute ago, Mothermoy said:

Sure right after they give ships limited ammo....lets not be unfair here. 

99% of the ships in the game carry enough ammo to sustain continuous fire for 20 minutes with ease. Some even more.

As for the OP, there's also ship spotter planes, ship fighter planes, CV fighter planes to consider among the ones shot down.

• Cool 2

Members
171 posts
5,766 battles

Really? the enemy CV was obviously feeding you planes, and the first thing you do is complain about it? Honestly I don't even know why I am replying to this post, these forums have been degraded to a point where you have to ask yourself "Why?"

• Meh 1

[YORHA]
Members
5,203 posts
10,360 battles
2 minutes ago, Mothermoy said:

Sure right after they give ships limited ammo....lets not be unfair here. 

Also ships are not notified that they have been detected until the detecting ship is within  your spotting range.  If it's a DD and his spotting range is less than yours... you die without ever detecting it. 

Add in when in a snowstorm and you want to move your ship or fire your guns the screen becomes so blurry you can't see anything. 

Also when you are trying to judge course and distance to aim your guns your view is obscured by clouds of black smoke so you can't see the target until it is too late.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,513 posts
14,829 battles

That Midway was not putting up anywhere near full squadrons by the end and he was stupid to keep coming back to you, the Kurfurst's would have been far better targets.  The respawn rate at tier 10 is slow as the proverbial molasses in January with the Midway varying from 69 seconds per plane to 74 seconds per plane so a lost squadron will take over 11 minutes to 14 minutes to bring up from the hanger depending on the type. A CV can lose one squadron of each type and still be in pretty good shape but more than that and they are screwed.

• Meh 1

[ARGSY]
Members
638 posts
10,304 battles

My only real complaint is that the CV strike force is not diminished while combat degrades all surface ship AA capability. This AA can't be replenished. Really rough to be in an endgame with a dd when tier X CVs are in the picture.  Otherwise I am ok with CVs. Don't really care for multiple CV games but those are rare  at upper tiers. 

• Cool 1

[REVY]
Members
8,164 posts
6,118 battles
17 minutes ago, SkaerKrow said:

Sure, as soon as we restrict shell count and remove the ability to reload torpedoes in battle.

Go ahead, Battleships were armed with an hours worth of ammunition, games only last 20 minutes.

Edited by Sventex

[REVY]
Members
8,164 posts
6,118 battles
Just now, handybilly said:

My only real complaint is that the CV strike force is not diminished while combat degrades all surface ship AA capability. This AA can't be replenished. Really rough to be in an endgame with a dd when tier X CVs are in the picture.  Otherwise I am ok with CVs. Don't really care for multiple CV games but those are rare  at upper tiers. 

/sarcasm It's because it's easier to build an aircraft out of nothing and train a pilot mid battle then it is to go below decks and get another machine gun.  

[WOLFG]
Members
662 posts
14,108 battles
52 minutes ago, DorkWizard_2020 said:

Collectively my team had shot down 143 Midway planes

How many were fighters? All they really can do is spot, they have no offensive capabilities, and are very easy to shoot down. CVs don't have unlimited planes. I don't play CVs often, but when I do, I sometimes struggle to keep planes in the air because, contrary to popular belief, AA eats them up.

• Cool 2

[WOOKY]
Beta Testers
1,784 posts

a) done! they are not infinite.

b) 1/3 of those were very likely consumable fighters. how many of them were catapult fighters/spotting aircraft launched from the BBs/CAs?

c) how many torps or shells did you shoot out of the water/air?

d) so this is a 'I crushed the enemy, came top of the team, won handily, DFAAed all the planes, but none of that matters and its still unfair that CVs even exist damn it' post?

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[-REK-]
Members
4 posts
3,680 battles
35 minutes ago, JimmyTheRealPirate said:

Really? the enemy CV was obviously feeding you planes, and the first thing you do is complain about it? Honestly I don't even know why I am replying to this post, these forums have been degraded to a point where you have to ask yourself "Why?"

Well yes, I did get focused by the CV but the fact he could just send so many waves of planes after me endlessly is not right

[WOOKY]
Beta Testers
1,784 posts
24 minutes ago, handybilly said:

My only real complaint is that the CV strike force is not diminished while combat degrades all surface ship AA capability.

uh, well, they are diminished, if you dont manage your planes well and make poor targeting choices, or have to derp your planes for a game influencing move.

So, in late game, when you can only muster 4 planes regenerated out of a 9 or 12 plane squadron, dont you think thats quite a diminished attack wave. Its like saying a cruiser with 2 turrets knocked out still has the same DPM as at the start of the game.

AA degrades, as does plane reserves. Somewhat different for t4 CVs who regenerate planes sufficiently fast to not have this issue, but then dont have the strike power as a high tier CV.

[WOLF3]
Members
28,844 posts
25,079 battles

I'm all for CVs having finite aircraft.

Just roll back to the RTS CV System.

+ Working, great AA System of the RTS CV Era.

+ Finite Aircraft for Carriers.

+ CVs get their old RTS CV Era Alpha Strike Power.

+ RTS CVs had Fighter squads and tried to dominate the airspace against their counterparts.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[--K--]
[--K--]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,561 posts
1 hour ago, Skuggsja said:

According to the wiki, midway could hold up to 137 aircraft

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Midway_(CV-41)

Because using "realism" as an argument works in a game.  Poor excuse is poor.  It does suit your narrative as a CV player, and I expect no less.

To those who foolishly even try to use the argument "but muh shells and torps reload" consider this:  Unlike ships who have to risk their skin, the planes are more or less the vehicle that CVs actually risk.  Pretend all you like, but its no secret CV have by far the highest survivability because the ship itself needn't be placed in direct danger 99% of the time.  

This is alot like saying all ships should get near unlimited HP for risk factor of their ship-- utterly preposterous.  The same few names pop up to defend even the sheer hilarity of being attacked by nearly 100 aircraft truly speaks volumes.  For those who read this thread and can have some objective thought within their minds, I highly advise remembering good and well who these people are, and to take everything they say with a grain of salt, as they hold the rest of us in contempt that having to weather that many plane attacks to be a "fun" or "balanced" experience.

• Boring 2

[ARGSY]
Members
22,410 posts
16,285 battles
1 hour ago, DorkWizard_2020 said:

This game shows the sheer absurdity of CVs

You won the battle, came home with absurdly good base XP and shot down nearly a hundred airplanes, and you're here to complain about how powerful carriers are? Sorry, bell not ringing.

• Cool 1

[--K--]
[--K--]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,561 posts
Just now, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

You won the battle, came home with absurdly good base XP and shot down nearly a hundred airplanes, and you're here to complain about how powerful carriers are? Sorry, bell not ringing.

Heaven forbid OP who endured that much did not enjoy themselves despite the payout he received.  Its almost as if it were a game and he wants to have fun, the rewards of the game itself being second to that.

Well, the double-standard you and Skaer have for attacking the points of CCs should speak volumes to the... "objectivity" you two have.

It would be amusing to see you and the rest that "this is fine" to undertake the same level of focus by CVs constantly.  I'd be willing to throw down actual coin that you all would probably crack in probably >200 battles.  

• Cool 1
  • Boring 3
  • Meh 2