You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
TheBishop

CV aircraft question

54 comments in this topic

[TKOV]
Members
232 posts

do CVs now have unlimited aircraft that replenish squadrons over time?

or do they have a certain number (or pool) of aircraft, that replenish squadrons over time?

i only remember the old style from long ago, when they were gone, you were ghuqed.

• Haha 1

[WOOKY]
Beta Testers
1,784 posts

They have a limited pool of aircraft, that do replenish over time.

They are definitely not unlimited, and when taking into account the time to replenish the aircraft, they effectively have slightly less total useable planes over the course of a 20 minute match compared to 'long ago', and a few bad runs can leave a CV with a flight wave of 3/9 planes for much of the match while waiting for planes to come back on line.

lower tiers replenish a lot faster, so it can seem to be unlimited, even though it isnt.

• Cool 2

[TKOV]
Members
232 posts

so another question. 

is there a way to see how many of each type of aircraft i have left?  which are available and how many are inactive, awaiting service?

edit:bump

Edited by TheBishop

[PT]
Members
974 posts
3,000 battles
1 hour ago, TheBishop said:

so another question. 

is there a way to see how many of each type of aircraft i have left?  which are available and how many are inactive, awaiting service?

edit:bump

The game gives you a little message when a plane is replenish. The bottom info bar shows what's available. You can also look a your boat and see how many planes are on the deck. 

• Thanks 1

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,185 posts

You can tell what's in the queue for the deck by pressing the ALT key and looking at the numbers  counting down to replenishment. 

• Cool 3

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,185 posts
Just now, LunchCutter said:

The game gives you a little message when a plane is replenish. The bottom info bar shows what's available. You can also look a your boat and see how many planes are on the deck. 

Wow... this post was not displaying when I posted - otherwise I'd not have posted! :cap_haloween:

Members
2,009 posts
52 battles
3 hours ago, Dareios said:

They are definitely not unlimited, and when taking into account the time to replenish the aircraft, they effectively have slightly less total useable planes over the course of a 20 minute match compared to 'long ago'

This is utterly wrong.

Case and point:

Comparison strike plane reserves RTS (balanced loadout as they were at the end of RTS) vs rework (assuming match time of 14 minutes and all regen upgrades, -1 TB and -2 DBs to account for starting delay):

Hosho - 16 (16 TBs) vs 75 (29 RF / 23 DBs / 23 TBs)
Ryujo - 38 (19 DBs / 19 TBs) vs 72 (27 RF / 22 DBs / 23 TBs)
Shokaku - 48 (24 DBs / 24 TBs) vs 84 (30 RF / 26 DBs / 28 TBs)
Hakuryu - 70 (30 DBs / 40 TBs) vs 94 (27 RF / 30 DBs / 37 TBs)

Langley - 20 (10 DBs / 10 TBs) vs 73 (27 RF / 23 DBs / 23 TBs)
Independence / Ranger - 25 (13 DBs / 12 TBs) vs 77 (27 RF / 27 DBs / 23 TBs)
Lexington - 52 (36 DBs / 16 TBs) vs 82 (30 RF / 26 DBs / 26 TBs)
Midway - 81 (40 DBs / 41 TBs) vs 81 (27 RF / 30 DBs / 24 TBs)

Saipan - 24 (24 TBs) vs 49 (18 RF / 15 DBs / 16 TBs)
Enterprise - 53 (28 DBs / 25 TBs) vs 95 (39 RF / 26 DBs / 30 TBs)
Graf Zeppelin - 56 (29 DBs / 27 TBs) vs 73 (25 RF / 22 DBs / 26 TBs)
Kaga - 57 (14 DBs / 43 TBs) vs 131 (35 RF / 49 DBs / 47 TBs)

CV reserves now are either equal or higher, never lower.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Meh 1

[TKOV]
Members
232 posts
1 hour ago, Herr_Reitz said:

You can tell what's in the queue for the deck by pressing the ALT key and looking at the numbers  counting down to replenishment. 

holy sh!t!!!   look at all that info the alt key gives!!  i have wondered for the LONGEST time, how do i tell what % priority AA does......press the ghuqing alt key idiot!!  lol

36 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

This is utterly wrong.

Case and point:

what do all those numbers mean?

is there a comprehensive guide to all the info on CVs?  i apparently have a few misconceptions.

[KSC]
Members
854 posts
11,446 battles
34 minutes ago, TheBishop said:

what do all those numbers mean?

is there a comprehensive guide to all the info on CVs?  i apparently have a few misconceptions.

I run a stream on twitch at www.twitch.tv/ahskance that teaches CV play.  I go from 5 to 7 pm EST.

Stop by and I'll probably get most/all of your questions answered.

[CLUMP]
Members
1,202 posts
1,505 battles
1 hour ago, El2aZeR said:

This is utterly wrong.

Case and point:

You make sounds like CV players start off with a great number of planes when in fact they don't :Smile_popcorn:Counting how many planes you get overtime doesn't count now does it :Smile_teethhappy: I am not going to have all those planes from the very beginning of the match available to me from the start now I am :Smile_smile:

Edited by LastRemnant
  • Cool 1

[WPORT]
Members
7,183 posts
12,195 battles

Plane replacement doesn't begin until a plane is shot down.

And Fighter consumables are not part of that, because they're a consumable instead of a squadron.

[WOLFG]
Members
31,377 posts
9,655 battles
2 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

This is utterly wrong.

Case and point:

I realise that it would only narrow the gap, but a case for counting RTS fighters can be made.

RTS fighters were an integral part of CV gameplay, and losing them had a sizable impact. If you were running an AS loadout, a major one, as you sacrificed anti-shipping ability to get your anti-air ability.

I guess it just depends on what filter you want to use

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
31,377 posts
9,655 battles
6 hours ago, TheBishop said:

or do they have a certain number (or pool) of aircraft, that replenish squadrons over time?

i only remember the old style from long ago, when they were gone, you were ghuqed.

Basically, they are limited by match timer. The shorter the match, the fewer planes you get to use.

How many planes you'll get to use is also up to you, as the CV player. If you select proper targets, and/or are skilled, you'll be attacking with effective squadrons the entire game.

If you're horrible and pick targets with good AA, or groups of ships, you'll be down to squadrons too small to attack effectively in about 5 minutes. (losing them faster than they Regen)

Or anything in between. Basically, I'm about average in CVs, and assuming a same-tier match, where I might have to hit a few ships I'd rather avoid, I'm typically down to around half squadrons (which can still attack effectively, basically 1/4-1/3 is where you start losing effectiveness) after about 10-12 minutes. I only start running into trouble at about the 15-minute mark. (although, at times, I may not be able to use the squadron type I'd prefer)

[WPORT]
Members
7,183 posts
12,195 battles
2 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

I realise that it would only narrow the gap, but a case for counting RTS fighters can be made.

RTS fighters were an integral part of CV gameplay, and losing them had a sizable impact. If you were running an AS loadout, a major one, as you sacrificed anti-shipping ability to get your anti-air ability.

I guess it just depends on what filter you want to use

Back when I played RTS CV's, facing a player with an Air Superiority load-out was difficult (at best) if one did not also have an Air Superiority squadron load-out.
More fighters enabled one to intercept and shoot down opposition planes of all types. 
Equal fighters meant doing everything you could to shoot down and/or have friendly AA assist in shooting down opposing planes to create a safe path for one's own bombers and torpedo planes.
If one had fewer fighter squadrons than their opponent's CV, it was a daunting situation.

If one couldn't gain control of the skies, one couldn't get their bombers & torpedo planes through to attack a target.
And losses of planes could not be replaced.  Getting "de-planed" happened.

The trade-off was that having more fighter squadrons meant having fewer torpedo and bomber squadrons.  So the "alpha strike" capability was reduced.

[WOOKY]
Beta Testers
1,784 posts
2 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

This is utterly wrong.

Case and point:

Well youre a much better CVer than me (actually most people are, I main DDs), and you provide data points so its hard to argue against that.

I thought I remembered LWM crunching the numbers in an article a while back that came to the 'slightly less than rts over 20 minutes' conclusion.

However you are also ignoring the dedicated fighters from RTS days and including the current rockets that they didnt have (yes, you do explicietly say 'strike planes', however I said 'planes'). Lets take the Midway data of 81 strike planes for both RTS and arcade.. and take into account that the RTS midway, as far as I remember, had no 100% strike option like the Lex used to and had at least one fighter squad, and thus by my statement of slightly less (all) planes the old Midway did have more 'planes' (the Hak had 2 fighter, etc) and I am not 'utterly wrong', merely 'wrong from a certain point of view'. I dont think you can then counter with 'but arcade squads can drop 3 lots of consumable fighters so add + 45 planes to arcade CVs', etc) as the consumable fighters are not controllable and perform a much different role.

[A-I-M]
Members
3,729 posts
23,863 battles
2 hours ago, LastRemnant said:

Counting how many planes you get overtime doesn't count now does it :Smile_teethhappy: 

This is overtly ludicrous. 

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
6,186 posts
18,849 battles
9 hours ago, TheBishop said:

Many (me included) can argue the math, but here's a quick top level view:

There is a set amount of space on the CV's deck for each type of aircraft, and a set squadron size.  For illustrative purposes, let's say the deck space is 10 and the squadron size is 6 for the type of interest.

When you launch, six leave the carrier, leaving six empty slots (of the ten slots) vacant on the deck.  As long as a slot is vacant, the CV begins to regen one aircraft.  When the regen period ends, the aircraft is placed on deck.  In our example, there would now be five aircraft of that type on deck, with five vacant positions.  So the CV begins to regen another one.

Now let's say all six of the previous aircraft make it safely back to the CV.  As there are six landing, but only five slots open, one of the six can't land and is deleted...five land to fill the slots back to ten, and any percentage of regen in progress is deleted.

Basically, CVs have a set number of types that can be on deck.  This number is relatively small compared to a hanger full of planes.  However, if a slot is vacant, the CV will be regening a plane to fill the spot.  The trick is managing losses on sorties in a manner that you don't exceed the regen rate of the CV.   Some have very slow regen rates, so if you lose a squadron you can be pretty bad off.  Others have fast regen rates, which allow you to be a bit more aggressive in your loses.  One size does NOT fit all.  Part of good CV play is knowing how to play the particulate CV your running against whatever MM throws at you.

The regen debate comes up a lot.   CVs will be regening until time expires.  But it's the regen rate against the loss rate that is key.  Having one aircraft to launch isn't going to do much DPM wise.  You can spot with it.  But if your CV is down to onsies and twosies late game, your DPM is effectively neutered.  The best CV players know how to manage their squadrons so when the late game comes, they still can make a difference.  Of course, there could be that mid game situation where you simply gotta go all in to save the game at the moment.   

[TKOV]
Members
232 posts

wow!  lots of info, and i did not realize how much debate was still going on.  thanx for all the input people.

rts = return to ship?

[TKOV]
Members
232 posts
8 hours ago, Ahskance said:

I run a stream on twitch at www.twitch.tv/ahskance that teaches CV play.  I go from 5 to 7 pm EST.

went to your channel.  was confronted by a hot pockets commercial right off the bat?  unfortunately, i ACTIVELY boycott ALL commercials.  so i left.  sorry.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
6,186 posts
18,849 battles
6 minutes ago, TheBishop said:

wow!  lots of info, and i did not realize how much debate was still going on.  thanx for all the input people.

rts = return to ship?

RTS = Realtime Simulation...specifically the 2D top down model, aka Warcraft, Starcraft, etc.  On these forums, RTS is to describe the CV game mode before the major re-work that took it from the top down mode to the mode we have today. 

[NG-NL]
Members
6,311 posts
10,259 battles
10 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Plane replacement doesn't begin until a plane is shot down.

Correction: When the squadron takes off for first time in the match, plane replacement begins.

[WPORT]
Members
7,183 posts
12,195 battles
1 minute ago, Reymu said:

Correction: When the squadron takes off for first time in the match, plane replacement begins.

Launch a squadron, and then immediately hit the "F" key to recall them to the cv (while you're parked away from all sources of AA and opposing fighter planes, perhaps in a training room).
Let me know how many planes you lost or how many extra planes materialized during that process.
I'm curious.

[KSC]
Members
854 posts
11,446 battles
5 hours ago, TheBishop said:

went to your channel.  was confronted by a hot pockets commercial right off the bat?  unfortunately, i ACTIVELY boycott ALL commercials.  so i left.  sorry.

Ah, I am a Twitch Affiliate, so ads do occur on entrance to the stream.  Nothing I can do to stop that~