Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
grorg

Why is this

10 comments in this topic

[GOOF]
Members
775 posts
6,487 battles

My matchmaking for the last 67 matches over the last two weeks

Top tier 16

Mid tier 14

Bottom tier 37

I wrote these down with tallymarks on a piece of paper next to my desk, two weekends including turkey day.

The bottom mm tends to be significantly higher especially when NB are active. 

Is there a reason for this? What happened to evening out matches so you weren't majority bottom or top? 

I'm a mainly t5 to t9 cruiser main.

Would appreciate CONSTUCTIVE responses. 

[FML]
Members
4,120 posts
16,057 battles

Mostly confirmation bias. MM adjusts following a calibration period - hopping between many ships makes that harder. 

Besides, being bottom tier isn’t all bad. 

I understand your frustration, but to give the reply that no-one wants to hear, the +/- 2 MM also adds variety to the game.  Being put against enemies two tiers higher than you should force you to take a different strategy and approach to the ship than if you were two tiers higher than your enemies. 

Imagine you are in a T5 Omaha against T7 battleships - your only chance to do well and be influential is to sit back at long range, and support the rest of your team by keeping those battleships on fire for as long as you can.  Noone expects you to carry the team to a win, noone expects you to finish top of the table (though I typically compliment +karma anyone who does). As such, being bottom tier is low stress play - you do what you can with what you have for as long as you are able and that's it.  However, when you are in that same T5 Omaha against T4 destroyers, you can use your many guns, hydro and torps to close with enemy destroyers and bully them into submission, having a major impact on the battle and enabling your team to win. 

When top tier, it is often up to you to do well, and use your tier advantage to defeat key enemy ships. If you fail to perform its likely your team will get rolled - and it will be your fault.  So, there's higher pressure from your team who expect you to do more than 1/12 of the effort to carry them to victory.  Therefore, depending on whether it is top or bottom tier, to maximise your effectiveness your same T5 Omaha should be played in two completely different ways. Charging in might work when you're top tier, but will just get you killed when you're bottom tier.  Hence, it adds variety to the game even if other variables like maps etc are the same. 

It is also a measure of a player's skill and mindset - can they handle being bullied as well as being the bully? Can they handle the pressure and adapt to the environment to do what is necessary to win?  Can they handle just playing the supporting role instead of playing the lead role out front? As such, the matchmaking spread is also a test of one's character.  

In summary, these are some reasons (in no particular order) why you shouldnt care about being uptiered 2 levels: 

• Noone expects you to carry your team to a win - so no pressure.  And if you do carry, then you feel a particular sense of achievement and team often sings your praises, which is a different kind of reward.  
  • Damaging and destroying higher tier ships rewards more XP and credits than the same amount of damage on same or lowered tiered ships; 
  • As explained above, learning to play the ship you are in differently based on whether you are top tier or bottom tier adds variety to the game.  The same action taken in a T8 BB vs T6 ships might be a heroic push, but that same action in the same T8 BB against T10 ships constitutes a suicide yolo charge. 
  • Gradual exposure to higher-tier ships means you have more time to get used to them - such as learning which ships have radar etc - whilst still mostly playing against familiar ships.  
  • Gradual exposure to higher-tier maps means you have time to get used to them whilst still mostly playing on familiar maps
  • From time to time, your enemies will be 2 tiers below you, so you can flex your ship to its full potential and see if you enjoy it.  
    • Strangely, most players dont complain when they are two tiers higher than their enemies 'for a change'!
  • The matchmaker was recently modified to limit how often a ship is made bottom tier after a 20 battle calibration time and to reduce how often you are the only bottom tier ship in a battle.  This means it is deeply unlikely that you are 'always' bottom tier; instead you'll be bottom tier about 40% of the time once your ship has been calibrated.    
  • Meh 1

[GOOF]
Members
775 posts
6,487 battles

Thank you m8 I appreciate your response m8. 

I had majority I'd say over 50 percent bottom tier matches so not attacking you but the calibration doesn't seem to be working. 

I never said I was losing the majority of bottom tier but it's certainly less fun. Makes you work too survive as a cruiser a lot harder esp against the influx of BBS of late.

I like the feel of a win when you have worked hard also helps find your fave ships.

Confirmation bias, how much how long do I have to play in order to see the effect of WG evening of MM. 

[POP]
Members
4,749 posts
12,813 battles

As far as I recall from the initial implementation, both the calibration period and then the continuous ‘last 20 battles’ period are by tier, not by ship. So it’s entirely possible for all your t5 top tier battles to be one ship and all your bottom tier ones to be in another one. And because it’s done by tier, if you’re jumping around a lot you may have played 60 matches total but might only be playing 8-10 of them at any specific tier, most of which could be a string of bottom tier matches without actually going over the 40% max bottom tier threshold.

Also, keep in mind that queue dumps have their own matchmaking rules, and while MM tries to mirror tiers and classes as well as work with the top/mid/bottom tier count for each player, but those rules can get thrown out the window if there aren’t enough players to follow all of them. Likewise, I know for a fact that fail divisions can count the lower tier ships as higher tier ships for the purposes of tier mirroring if there isn’t another lower tier or fail divisioned ship to put on the other team. I’m not sure how that affects the bottom/mid/top tier counts in true fail divs or even just normal multi tier divisions (like a t7/8 div that gets into a t7-9 battle rather than a t7-10 battle), but there’s a chance that could mess with counts too. 

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
6,176 posts
18,834 battles
1 hour ago, grorg said:

My matchmaking for the last 67 matches over the last two weeks

Top tier 16

Mid tier 14

Bottom tier 37

I wrote these down with tallymarks on a piece of paper next to my desk, two weekends including turkey day.

The bottom mm tends to be significantly higher especially when NB are active. 

Is there a reason for this? What happened to evening out matches so you weren't majority bottom or top? 

I'm a mainly t5 to t9 cruiser main.

Would appreciate CONSTUCTIVE responses. 

You have to run stats based on tier played, and maintain a running total by consecutive games in TIER.  Only then can we determine if WG's correction algorithm is working.  Can't group them all together.

• Meh 1

Members
37 posts
3,678 battles

What are others playing?

If literally every player is T10 and you do a T9, you'll be bottom tier 100% of the time. There is more to it than simply what you queue as.

I can understand the frustration. Kind of wish there was more advance systems so we could queue for matches of only the same tier or whatever criteria. But then again... longer wait times... 

[GOOF]
Members
775 posts
6,487 battles

Thank you m8s

Certainly 

I'll admit I jump around tiers with yorck being my fav right now. 

I'll pick a ship and stick with it for a while. 

[GOOF]
Members
775 posts
6,487 battles

Here we are 

72 bottom tier 

30 top 

20 mid

Doesn't seem to be working

Edited by grorg

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,518 posts
18,144 battles

So I posted this yesterday in another thread about being uptiered and it's just my experience. Tier 5 through 7 are in a bad place at the moment while T9 is now the sweet spot for randoms. Everyone has an opinion but nobody has any facts but you'll read a lot of justification for being constantly uptiered: you get more XP, it makes you a better captain because you learn more skills, etc. I too like a challenge but it is nice to actually face ships your tier ship was designed to fight on occasion.

Regardless, unlike WOT if you get uptiered in this game you can still damage and kill higher tier ships. I don't know how many times in WOT I would just bounce rounds off higher tier tanks to no effect. 

So, keeping in mind that I am terrible at this game here is my experience at uptiering.....

Battleship uptiered: Don't lead the charge or push the cap first, always have an exit strategy, huddle near higher tier ships if a CV is present, never stop moving. Low chance of getting rekt.

Cruiser uptiered: Don't fire in the open, marry the largest island and never leave her side unless she develops suitors, be the mini map, don't be a hero. Moderate chance of getting rekt.

Destroyer uptiered: It's over Johnny, it's over. But, don't try to cap early, spot but don't shoot, don't sit in smoke due to radar and torpedo magnetism. High chance of getting rekt.

CV: Unknown. 

Fair seas. 

[O_O]
Members
6,906 posts
16,569 battles

I have kept track of my MM results for a while, now.  I don't track Tiers 1-4 because there are protections and +/- 1 tier things happening there.  I also don't track Tiers 9-10 because of the tier ceiling.  So, for Tiers 5-8, here are my bottom tier results:

Tier 5:  371 games played, 238 were bottom tier.  64%.  However, 93 of those bottom tier games only had Tier 6's...no Tier 7's.

Tier 6:  876 games played, 307 were bottom tier.  35%.

Tier 7:  954 games played, 227 were bottom tier.  23%.

Tier 8:  987 games played, 396 were bottom tier.  41%.

Sign in to follow this