You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
STINKWEED_

Losing streaks now 3-4 times a week. I guess that's normal?

144 comments in this topic

Members
3,354 posts
17,123 battles

Starting about a year and a half ago I started noticing a pattern in my losing streaks. For months they followed my win streaks the very next day verbatim. Never missing a que. 

It continued and never stopped. Several months ago, after a patch( can't remember which one), the losing streak all of a sudden went into overdrive. Move forward to the last two patches and those streaks are now 3-4 per week. I'm talking about 30% to 20% WR day after day after day. This is how every battle goes: Reds get three caps and hold them most of the battle, half or more of my team is dead by the 5-6 minute mark. Whoever is left are all camping in one spot of the map.
In 95% of the cases Matchmaker Monitor confirmed the enemy team was favored.

How is it that in a short period of months my wins drop so drastically?  I'm not playing any differently and my battles stats for those battles are very good ( lots of damage, lots of kills etc.)  So how is this magically happening? The forum white knights will insist it's normal random odds. They obviously don't understand random number generators and the laws of probability. The odds that my matches and wr was within the 50% by + or - 2%  and then as if someone pushed a button takes a nosedive with no end in sight is somewhere between slim and none.

I also decided to test my theory by playing on my kid's accounts ( the same ships that I have in my port to be fair) My daily WR skyrockets back to the 53 - 56% WR!  If you truly believe there's  no internal influencing going on in this game I'd love to sell yo some beautiful Everglades beachfront property.

Anyhow, I've drastically cut my weekly WOWS playing time a while back. More reason to cut it further as I'm just about finished setting up my modelling work station. For anyone who's interested I'll be posting photos my 1/350 and 1/200 scale warship builds. It's more productive and you'll spend your money on something  tangible for a change. Over and Out. 

• Cool 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Boring 3
  • Meh 3

Members
3,892 posts
14,041 battles

Doesnt really happen to me.

I only typically go on losing streaks when playing ships Im new to, or somewhat uncomfortable with (Smolensk).

edit: I also dont use MM. So I cant tell you for sure if I just get lucky MM. But it also doesn't psychologically affect me. 

Edited by Rollingonit

[0456]
Members
3,824 posts
10,091 battles
5 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

Anyhow, I've drastically cut my weekly WOWS playing time a while back. More reason to cut it further as I'm just about finished setting up my modelling work station. For anyone who's interested I'll be posting photos my 1/350 and 1/200 scale warship builds. It's more productive and you'll spend your money on something  tangible for a change. Over and Out. 

Sounds like a good alternate pastime. 

WG cares little for the opinions of veteran players- we keep hearing the term "churn" and that's the billion dollar business model. They LITERALLY don't care. They'll bait and switch the noobs who empty their wallets, get frustrated and move on to make room for more. Guys with thousands upon thousands of battles are stale sources of income who are insatiable in all of their entitled demands... all of which cost the organization money to review and process. One short term, near sighted idea after another lobbed onto the burning pile of buffoonery intended to keep everything off balanced to the old but "new" and "exciting to the new. 

Sorry dude, but the dedication to the title nevermind the thousands upon thousands of hours invested in it are literally meaningless... but remember- it's equally meaningless for you if you just walk away from it... they already got your money so might as well try and get what you can out of it. Usually this requires a decisive change in attitude- not saying yours is bad... in fact I'm wondering right now if I'm talking to you or to myself since I think we both need a pep talk. 

I'll keep my eye open for your model thread... do you have it up already? 

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[REVY]
Members
8,168 posts
6,118 battles
12 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

Starting about a year and a half ago I started noticing a pattern in my losing streaks. For months they followed my win streaks the very next day verbatim. Never missing a que. 

It continued and never stopped. Several months ago, after a patch( can't remember which one), the losing streak all of a sudden went into overdrive. Move forward to the last two patches and those streaks are now 3-4 per week. I'm talking about 30% to 20% WR day after day after day. This is how every battle goes: Reds get three caps and hold them most of the battle, half or more of my team is dead by the 5-6 minute mark. Whoever is left are all camping in one spot of the map.

How is it that in a short period of months my wins drop so drastically?  I'm not playing any differently and my battles stats for those battles are very good ( lots of damage, lots of kills etc.)  So how is this magically happening? The forum white knights will insist it's normal random odds. They obviously don't understand random number generators and the laws of probability. The odds that my matches and wr was within the 50% by + or - 2%  and then as if someone pushed a button takes a nosedive with no end in sight is somewhere between slim and none.

I also decided to test my theory by playing on my kid's accounts ( the same ships that I have in my port to be fair) My daily WR skyrockets back to the 53 - 56% WR!  If you truly believe there's  no internal influencing going on in this game I'd love to sell yo some beautiful Everglades beachfront property.

You're looking for patterns in randomness.

• Cool 1
  • Meh 6

[CRUEL]
Members
504 posts
8,535 battles
11 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

You are not wrong. I've noticed the same thing. I've gone as far as noticed a rng handicap within a match. I can tell which side mm wants to win within the first 3 minutes based on shell hits. Doesnt always go the way it wants due to good play but it's there. And you are right white knights will say there is nothing to see here but a lot of people also see what you see.

• Funny 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Meh 1

Members
3,354 posts
17,123 battles
1 minute ago, _ENO_ said:

Sounds like a good alternate pastime. 

WG cares little for the opinions of veteran players- we keep hearing the term "churn" and that's the billion dollar business model. They LITERALLY don't care. They'll bait and switch the noobs who empty their wallets, get frustrated and move on to make room for more. Guys with thousands upon thousands of battles are stale sources of income who are insatiable in all of their entitled demands... all of which cost the organization money to review and process. One short term, near sighted idea after another lobbed onto the burning pile of buffoonery intended to keep everything off balanced to the old but "new" and "exciting to the new. 

Sorry dude, but the dedication to the title nevermind the thousands upon thousands of hours invested in it are literally meaningless... but remember- it's equally meaningless for you if you just walk away from it... they already got your money so might as well try and get what you can out of it. Usually this requires a decisive change in attitude- not saying yours is bad... in fact I'm wondering right now if I'm talking to you or to myself since I think we both need a pep talk. 

I'll keep my eye open for your model thread... do you have it up already? 

Thanks Dude. I've been saying there's a algorithm in play for a long time. I suspect it's a "carrot and stick" system for players doing too well without spending any money.

In regard to money invested, well, I guess that's the point. I have about 46 premium ships, many high tier and I haven't spent a dime other than $9.99 on a Kami way back when they nerfed the Minekaze. 
Maybe they think this will encourage me to get a premium account, who knows. For all those who are about to start attacking me with the usual [edited] go ahead because I couldn't give a rats behind. I'm not responding to them so they could knock themselves out.

The one thing I thing that I can take from this game is the awesome weathering detail on their ships. I'll be using them as reference when weathering my models. 

• Cool 2

Members
3,354 posts
17,123 battles
5 minutes ago, Pay_Your_Torpedo_Tax said:

Sorry. But your anecdotal small sample evidence doesn't prove or show anything. 

So what? LOL  like I care.

1.5 years is enough time for me. As a developer I know what to look for. I suggest yo stick to your day job too.

• Funny 2
  • Meh 1

Members
3,892 posts
14,041 battles
3 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

Thanks Dude. I've been saying there's a algorithm in play for a long time. I suspect it's a "carrot and stick" system for players doing too well without spending any money.

In regard to money invested, well, I guess that's the point. I have about 46 premium ships, many high tier and I haven't spent a dime other than $9.99 on a Kami way back when they nerfed the Minekaze. 
Maybe they think this will encourage me to get a premium account, who knows. For all those who are about to start attacking me with the usual [edited] go ahead because I couldn't give a rats behind. I'm not responding to them so they could knock themselves out.

The one thing I thing that I can take from this game is the awesome weathering detail on their ships. I'll be using them as reference when weathering my models. 

Havent bought premium time ever. Havent spent money at all in at least a year and a half. I still maintain about 60%+ WR monthly over that time period. 

[BONKS]
Members
957 posts
3,834 battles
7 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

So what? LOL  like I care.

1.5 years is enough time for me. As a developer I know what to look for. I suggest yo stick to your day job too.

So, I take that your lack of actual evidence means you know I'm right, you just don't want to admit it. Got ga.

• Cool 2
  • Meh 6

[BONKS]
Members
957 posts
3,834 battles
11 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

I suspect it's a "carrot and stick" system for players doing too well without spending any money.

The account I'm going to show you has no prem ships brought. One from an SC and one gifted by WG. Has only had 30 days prem time, again gifted by WG and still hits almost 70% WR. 

Screenshot_20201129-225203.thumb.png.0822c7acf94ddd444d60a474d11562c3.png

The only consistent factor is the individual player. MM is random. Players need to get over thinking WG consider them as important individuals.

• Thanks 1
  • Boring 5
  • Meh 2

[META_]
Members
1,660 posts
17,317 battles
33 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

Obviously can not guarantee this but it seems that a few months ago when people started staying home with covid orders I started having longer losing streaks also...my winrate is steadily moving up but once every week or 2 ill have a prolonged losing streak . Seemed to me with the ability to buy tiers 9 being pushed in overdrive lately we have a little less experience at those tiers....So a few games in a row you could have a pretty green team....Just my opinion.

• Cool 1

[KSC]
Members
66 posts
22,650 battles
43 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

I'm not playing any differently and my battles stats for those battles are very good ( lots of damage, lots of kills etc.) 

https://na.wows-numbers.com/player/1003410816,STINKWEED_/

Your last 21 days worth of battles disprove your assertion, lots of red there. You're losing games because you're not playing well. No conspiracy theory needed.

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

Beta Testers
3,497 posts
5,943 battles
4 minutes ago, Meta_Man said:

Obviously can not guarantee this but it seems that a few months ago when people started staying home with covid orders I started having longer losing streaks also...my winrate is steadily moving up but once every week or 2 ill have a prolonged losing streak . Seemed to me with the ability to buy tiers 9 being pushed in overdrive lately we have a little less experience at those tiers....So a few games in a row you could have a pretty green team....Just my opinion.

I mean it's a fine theory and a perfectly valid opinion.   But I'm not sure how you'd go about actually confirming the causation.  It's more than likely just plain old randomness masquerading as all sorts of nefariousness.  WR is really only meaningful over 100+ games.

• Meh 1

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
4,130 posts
11,828 battles
36 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

So while I respect your desire to not spend any money on the game . I just wonder what the logic is behind it . If they they are doing a good job of something why wouldn't you spend a few bucks to support the game .

I'm not talking about recklessly spending money on every ship or loot boxes . Just the Occasional purchase here or there to support the game . If I miss understood I'm sorry but to me it seems like everyone should do there part to support the game if they can .

Whatever it is if your broke and struggling nothing . If you have a few bucks maybe a little something if your loaded go full whale . But these people who try to make it a mission to not spend a dime just to do it I don't understand .

And again I'm not saying you personally everyone has there reason and I respect most of them just wondering .

Edited by clammboy
  • Boring 1

[SALVO]
Members
4,541 posts
20,870 battles

Well just because WG doesn't make it public we can assume there is a matchmaking algorithm,  and they definitely have been playing around with it for the last year or so, I've noticed some trends myself.

Spent this last vacation playing quite a bit of Wows,  I've never had as many bad losing streaks as I have lately in 5 years.  I don't know what they're playing with but it's not working.

My playing time has definitely dropped because of it but I'm OK because I have been collecting some things I enjoy a lot more.20201129_171538.thumb.jpg.ffadf3cdad28e926b09ff49e8e644581.jpg

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,373 posts
22,212 battles
1 hour ago, STINKWEED_ said:

Matchmaker monitor or tanks XVM....

Show the same thing to us average Joe's struggling to maintain near 50 percent....

For everyone else, its a tinfoil hat theory.

Beta Testers
3,497 posts
5,943 battles
Just now, dEsTurbed1 said:

Matchmaker monitor or tanks XVM....

Show the same thing to us average Joe's struggling to maintain near 50 percent....

For everyone else, its a tinfoil hat theory.

So I guess the other 10 or 12 players on your team just have to suffer because you dropped onto their team and WG is out to get you?  Or is WG collecting all the players that deserve to be punished and putting them on team so only they get punished?

• Funny 1

[BONKS]
Members
957 posts
3,834 battles
10 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

average Joe's struggling

And right their is the key point. Average players expecting unicum results. And blaming the big bad WG MM machine when it doesn't happen. Shocker.

The only response they are able to give? A down vote because they have NO evidence for their foil hat conspiracy and don't like being told maybe, just maybe it's their OWN shortcomings. 

Edited by Pay_Your_Torpedo_Tax
  • Cool 2
  • Meh 3

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
2,841 battles
54 minutes ago, Darmokattenagra said:

You are not wrong. I've noticed the same thing. I've gone as far as noticed a rng handicap within a match. I can tell which side mm wants to win within the first 3 minutes based on shell hits. Doesnt always go the way it wants due to good play but it's there. And you are right white knights will say there is nothing to see here but a lot of people also see what you see.

Yes. This is what will probably drive me from the game...and will cause me to tell all my friends to stay away...

...and demand that my legislators properly regulate gaming companies like WG that operate as casinos.

52 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

Thats an interesting theory. Ive noted that the MM wants me to stop playing certain ships.

42 minutes ago, Pay_Your_Torpedo_Tax said:

So, I take that your lack of actual evidence means you know I'm right, you just don't want to admit it. Got ga.

When you post actual evidence that isnt blind defense of a gaming company...people might pay attention.

Of course, you would also have to treat others with respect.

But you dont like to do that...so, we ignore your points.

[BONKS]
Members
957 posts
3,834 battles
1 minute ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Of course, you would also have to treat others with respect.

But you dont like to do that...so, we ignore your points.

Pot calling kettle black. And that's half the forums problems. Don't like what they hear? They ignore and bundle into a safe space. 

• Meh 2

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
4,130 posts
11,828 battles
1 minute ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Yes. This is what will probably drive me from the game...and will cause me to tell all my friends to stay away...

56 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

With all due respect you have been saying this for years now . Just saying !!!!

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
2,841 battles
1 minute ago, Pay_Your_Torpedo_Tax said:

Pot calling kettle black. And that's half the forums problems. Don't like what they hear? They ignore and bundle into a safe space. 

Yup...like the CB 'boycot'...that discord channel certainly was a safe space.

Just now, clammboy said:

With all due respect you have been saying this for years now . Just saying !!!!

Have I?