You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
RagingxMarmoset

Haven’t built a PC since 2001 - critique my parts picks

11 comments in this topic

[BNKR]
Members
1,653 posts
2,811 battles

I’m putting together a budget gaming machine and I thought you folks might have some insight as to whether or not I’m about to make a huge mistake. Here’s the stuff:

- MSI X570 AMD board

- Ryzen 5 3600X

- Radeon 5600 XT 6GB

- 32GB Corsair Vengeance memory (already purchased on smokin Black Friday deal)

- 700W thermaltake PSU

- Thermaltake mid-tower ATX case

I play primarily botes, but I’d like to branch out into some other stuff, as well as having room to grow. Am I on the right track here?

• Cool 2

[BE-ER]
Beta Testers
109 posts
15,684 battles

I'm no expert, but that looks pretty solid to me. I'm in basically the same situation (mostly play wows, but a few other games that my current machine is struggling with, mostly Squad). I'm taking a slightly different route and am leaning toward an Intel build.

AS ROCK B460 phantom board

Intel i5 10400

GeForce rtx 2060

16GB gskill aegis RAM

Roseville Nautilus mid-tower case (comes with 3 fans pre-installed, and was on sale for $40)

1tb m.2 hard drive

Goal is to get good performance that will last several years (currently on year 6 with my current machine) while keeping prices down as much as I can.

[SWOLF]
Beta Testers
804 posts
8,086 battles

your on the right track, but i would suggest making sure you get a SSD rather then a HDD, even if you have to get a lower capacity one. it makes an extream amount of difference in load times that it is 1000% worth the slightly increased cost.

i personally would swap the 5600XT for a 5700XT as the extra 50-100$ gives you more future proofing by getting 8GB of VRAM memory, and a higher out of the box auto overclock.

if you get lucky and find a 6800 (non XT) or a 3060/3070 is roughly the same price for significantly (3-4X performance of a 5700XT) more performance, but those are sold out everywhere and would be purely up to luck in getting one of those for MSRP.

[TFK]
[TFK]
Alpha Tester
1,691 posts
20,933 battles

I use the following site to build my system. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/

I wrote about it here

Based on your requirements I came up with this:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JG2Dz7

I tried to use the Thermaltake 80+ Gold power supply, however the PCBuild people pointed out a problem as listed below.

The MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard has an additional 4-pin ATX power connector but the Thermaltake Toughpower GOLD 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply does not. This connector is used to supply additional 12V current to the motherboard. While the system will likely still run without it, higher current demands such as extreme overclocking or large video card current draws may require it.

So I up the power supply to platinum level. The estimated wattage is 363 watts with the parts listed is over provisioned. So you will be good on that point. Try build your system and see what you get. Good luck on your build.

[TFK]
[TFK]
Alpha Tester
1,691 posts
20,933 battles
5 minutes ago, GX9900A said:

your on the right track, but i would suggest making sure you get a SSD rather then a HDD, even if you have to get a lower capacity one. it makes an extream amount of difference in load times that it is 1000% worth the slightly increased

There is a line of thought for what type of drives to use. At the most you should have an SSD for the OS and WoWS, Then have a SATA for large documents, videos, music or less critical games such as Steam. SATA drives are at a good price point to purchase now. You have to find the balance for your storage.

[SWOLF]
Beta Testers
804 posts
8,086 battles
26 minutes ago, Tpaktop2_1 said:

There is a line of thought for what type of drives to use. At the most you should have an SSD for the OS and WoWS, Then have a SATA for large documents, videos, music or less critical games such as Steam. SATA drives are at a good price point to purchase now. You have to find the balance for your storage.

about a year ago i would agree with you, but SSD sizes and prices have stabilized now. and while sure they are more expensive they are no longer extremely expensive. a 500GB SSD (which if he only wants to play 1 or 2 games, and install windows as he stated was all he was using this for currently) is only 50$, or a 1TB NVME SSD for 80$. and will provide much faster loading screens and quality of life then even the fastest HDD.

if he was saying he had allot of games to install, sure a bulk storage drive would make sense, but for someone who doesn't play many games, its unnecessary to buy a bulk storage drive, especially if its the main drive. and buying two drives when your not going to be storing all that much, is wasted money on a budget biuld.

also buying a bulk storgae drive can be a cheap upgrade latter when he runs into storage issues. 

i personally have a 500GB very fast NVME drive for OS/critical/frequently used programs, a 2TB slightly slower NVME SSD for games i use allot but are bigger then would fit on my fastest drive, and then a 4TB bulk drive for programs i use rarely but still want on the system. that slightly slower SSD is a recent addition when prices went down, and it has made games so much more enjoyable for my larger games that didnt fit on my old drive.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,457 posts
14,821 battles
23 minutes ago, GX9900A said:

your on the right track, but i would suggest making sure you get a SSD rather then a HDD, even if you have to get a lower capacity one. it makes an extream amount of difference in load times that it is 1000% worth the slightly increased cost.

i personally would swap the 5600XT for a 5700XT as the extra 50-100$ gives you more future proofing by getting 8GB of VRAM memory, and a higher out of the box auto overclock.

if you get lucky and find a 6800 (non XT) or a 3060/3070 is roughly the same price for significantly (3-4X performance of a 5700XT) more performance, but those are sold out everywhere and would be purely up to luck in getting one of those for MSRP.

An SSD or even better an NVMe are a must these days.

• Cool 2

[O_O]
Members
6,897 posts
16,528 battles
14 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

An SSD or even better an NVMe are a must these days.

Agreed.  Last November when I built my new PC, one of my must-have's was an upgrade from a hard drive to a SSD.

OMG.  It is ridiculously faster.  Windows starts like lightning, as does this game.

I bought an AData SU800 1 TB SSD for $97.99 last Black Friday.  They are probably even cheaper now, as well as NVMe (which as I understand it are only slightly faster than SSD).

Edited by desmo_2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,457 posts
14,821 battles
1 minute ago, desmo_2 said:

Agreed.  Last November when I built my new PC, one of my must-have's was an upgrade from a hard drive to a SSD.

OMG.  It is ridiculously faster.  Windows starts like lightning, as does this game.

I bought an AData SU800 1 TB SSD for $97.99 last Black Friday.

I still have HDD's and use them for older games that don't have to move a lot of data like WoWS on loading into a match but run the OS on a 256 GB and the five, yes five WoWS installs I have on a 500 GB SSD.

[SWOLF]
Beta Testers
804 posts
8,086 battles
25 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

I bought an AData SU800 1 TB SSD for $97.99 last Black Friday.  They are probably even cheaper now, as well as NVMe (which as I understand it are only slightly faster than SSD).

the cheaper NVME are only slightly faster then sata SSD, but NVME supports up to 3X sata SSD (near 6k read/write speed) but those high end ones are still really expensive. in my opinion, the slower NVME are better off right now due to their much lower cost, as well as taking up less space in your system, and having less cords to cable manage.

[BNKR]
Members
1,653 posts
2,811 battles

I should add that I picked up a 1TB M.2 for storage. I am going to have a second look at PSUs based on what I’ve seen here. Thanks for the input!

• Cool 1