Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Bill_Halsey

The Great Turkey Shoot

29 comments in this topic

[TOG]
Members
4,226 posts
25,415 battles

Show off your turkey kills:

Spoiler

908800659_WorldofWarships11_28_20209_38_02PM.thumb.png.7f31525624ef9eea29359f948cd31556.png

Lost the game but bagged the gobbler!

The downside is his buddies want revenge after killing him. You think I killed Kenny!

Edited by Bill_Halsey

[PVE]
Members
4,989 posts
22,019 battles
9 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I've seen one and it was on my team.

I saw one with a 12 inch beard and just couldn't get the shot last month !!!  

As for the game.........It's Random and that's not anything worth the stress over.....  Sorry.  Those Corgi and Turkey events simply ruined matches when i was playing Randoms.  Maybe, if the rewards were better..........

Members
709 posts
19 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

As for the game.........It's Random and that's not anything worth the stress over.....  Sorry.  Those Corgi and Turkey events simply ruined matches when i was playing Randoms.  Maybe, if the rewards were better..........

We have a farm field down the road that was crawling with them and deer last month, tripping over each other. This month, nothing to be found! (Hunting season started yesterday for them).

• Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
14,157 posts
28 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

I got a turkey once in my younger days. However, I really couldn't keep justifying the $37.50 permit cost when I could buy two or three bigger turkeys in the store for the same price. There used to be turkeys all over the place around here but then we had a long drought and they went away, with all the pheasants and quail too (not to mention the prairie chickens, which became so threatened so that you can't hunt them anymore). The quail are making a comeback and the pheasants are starting to but I've not seen a turkey in years. I did see a nice ten-point mule deer a couple miles from town on the government pasture though. The whitetail stay on the (dry) river and can be hunted from tree stands but it's hard to hunt those muleys in a hundred thousand acres of prairie. We have pronghorn too, a pretty big herd of them locally, but I don't know anyone who hunts them.  

Edited by Snargfargle

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
14,157 posts
25 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

I wanted to be an event turkey, but Hapa denied me :(

I didn't have the time to be an event turkey. I've been trying to remove some 40-year-old wallpaper and it's been a bear. I don't think that the stuff was even glued on with wallpaper paste, more like construction cement. I've even been steaming it but it's still taking me an hour for every square foot I finally scrape off. If it wasn't my own house I'd just paint over the stuff and call it a day.

[PVE]
Members
7,576 posts
23,591 battles
1 hour ago, Bill_Halsey said:

Show off your turkey kills:

Reveal hidden contents

908800659_WorldofWarships11_28_20209_38_02PM.thumb.png.7f31525624ef9eea29359f948cd31556.png

Lost the game but bagged the gobbler!

The downside is his buddies want revenge after killing him. You think I killed Kenny!

OH MY GOD...

YOU BASTARD!!!

• Haha 1

[FML]
Members
4,148 posts
16,060 battles
40 minutes ago, mumphred said:

I killed a turkey and they gave me a leftover flag...  

turk.jpg

From 2018? They didnt even update to say 2020??

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
12,335 posts
17,511 battles
2 hours ago, UltimateNewbie said:

I wanted to be an event turkey, but Hapa denied me :(

Same here but I have done so many of these events it is fine.

[WOLF3]
Members
29,581 posts
25,666 battles

At The Great Marianas Turkey Shoot, June 19, 1944:

USN Ace Lt Alex Vraciu shoots down 6 Japanese D4Y Suiseis in 8 minutes and using 360 rounds.

D4Y2_before_take_off.jpg

Alexander_Vraciu_June_1944_80-G-236841.j

Lt Vraciu a day later with his F6F Hellcat.

Beyond_Darkness_June_20_1944.jpg

Another one from earlier in the war:

d844e1a8012ff2f526b85fa38cb26e76.jpg&f=1

He served in the US Navy from 1941-1964, passing away in 2015.

[TOG]
Members
4,226 posts
25,415 battles
10 hours ago, mumphred said:

I killed a turkey and they gave me a leftover flag...  

turk.jpg

10 hours ago, UltimateNewbie said:

From 2018? They didnt even update to say 2020??

He's yanking your chain. that's for being a turkey in 2018. I have the same flag.

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,557 posts
4,771 battles
13 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

We have pronghorn too

Second fastest land animal.  Apparently evolved when cheetahs, that were native to NA, were not extinct here. 

I wonder how the cats got to Africa?  They don't like salt water.

[WOLFG]
Members
11,593 posts
10,718 battles

Last time I saw a turkey, it was in my backyard.

My kids asked if they could catch it and keep it.

My response was I doubt it.

Even on the ground, turkeys have some moves.

[WPORT]
Members
7,818 posts
12,868 battles
12 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

I didn't have the time to be an event turkey. I've been trying to remove some 40-year-old wallpaper and it's been a bear. I don't think that the stuff was even glued on with wallpaper paste, more like construction cement. I've even been steaming it but it's still taking me an hour for every square foot I finally scrape off. If it wasn't my own house I'd just paint over the stuff and call it a day.

Or simply remove all the sheet-rock and start over with fresh walls?

Lathe & plaster?  

Budget?
Because your time is valuable?  :-)

[-AGW-]
Members
1,016 posts
15,936 battles
2 hours ago, CylonRed said:

Got one from about half health to 1/16th health so someone else could kill him... :(

Yep. Two salvos broadside on a Takao and someone else got the last bit :(

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
14,157 posts
2 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Or simply remove all the sheet-rock and start over with fresh walls?

I don't know when that wallpaper was applied but it's vinyl and seems to be put on with permanent glue, not wallpaper paste. I think that the folks had a local girl put it up sometime when I was in college. I've bought the house from the estate so now it's my problem. I'd leave it but flowery wallpaper isn't my cup of tea. I've tried scraping, scoring, wallpaper remover, paint remover, heating with a heat gun, and using a steamer. The steamer sort of works but takes an hour to do a square foot and still leaves the glue residue. I'm thinking about getting my sander out and just roughing the wallpaper up and painting over it. The paint sure isn't going to cause that permanently-glued vinyl wallpaper to peel or anything.

[WPORT]
Members
7,818 posts
12,868 battles
9 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I don't know when that wallpaper was applied but it's vinyl and seems to be put on with permanent glue, not wallpaper paste. I think that the folks had a local girl put it up sometime when I was in college. I've bought the house from the estate so now it's my problem. I'd leave it but flowery wallpaper isn't my cup of tea. I've tried scraping, scoring, wallpaper remover, paint remover, heating with a heat gun, and using a steamer. The steamer sort of works but takes an hour to do a square foot and still leaves the glue residue. I'm thinking about getting my sander out and just roughing the wallpaper up and painting over it. The paint sure isn't going to cause that permanently-glued vinyl wallpaper to peel or anything.

Wow.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
14,157 posts
2 hours ago, iDuckman said:

Second fastest land animal.  Apparently evolved when cheetahs, that were native to NA, were not extinct here. 

I wonder how the cats got to Africa?  They don't like salt water.

Biogeography is one of my favorite subjects. One thing that's especially interesting is migrations. Until plate tectonics was discovered and understood scientists were besides themselves to try and figure out why some species migrated like they did. For instance, some Atlantic Ocean sea turtles swim thousands of miles to lay their eggs. Why do they do this? Well, when they first started doing this the Atlantic was much narrower than it is now, it widens by about an inch a year.   

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
14,157 posts
4 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Wow.

This is why you hire a real painter/paperer and not a local girl who has decided that she can be an interior decorator because she's subscribed to a couple of magazines on the subject. I'm pretty sure that she used carpenter's wood glue to glue that wallpaper on. This is the reason why professional luthiers still use hide glue. It's not that modern glues aren't better but fifty years from now when that fiddle you made needs to be repaired the next luthier can steam the joints apart and do so. 

[RAGE]
Members
426 posts
7,112 battles
3 hours ago, Bill_Halsey said:

He's yanking your chain. that's for being a turkey in 2018. I have the same flag.

No, I'm not yanking anything. thats the flag I got.  In game you can see all the flags available. there is only one turkey shoot flag. ( Looks like there is a 2020 santas gift flag for next patch)

turkshoot.jpg

Edited by mumphred

[WPORT]
Members
7,818 posts
12,868 battles
1 minute ago, Snargfargle said:

This is why you hire a real painter/paperer and not a local girl who has decided that she can be an interior decorator because she's subscribed to a couple of magazines on the subject. I'm pretty sure that she used carpenter's wood glue to glue that wallpaper on. This is the reason why professional luthiers still use hide glue. It's not that modern glues aren't better but fifty years from now when that fiddle you made needs to be repaired the next luthier can steam the joints apart and do so. 

Aye.

Given the hours of labor you've poured into this project, and what you discovered, it seems like a truly eye-opening situation.

Sign in to follow this